Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Darryton Evans - Combine Winner

MountaineerChemist10
School: Appalachian State

Darryton Evans - Combine Winner

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:27 am

NFL.com wrote an article on "Combine Winners & Losers - RBs" & named Evans a winner; resulted with excellent #s in all drills he participated in:

40 yard dash: Top 2 (2nd)
Bench Press: Top 10 (T-10th)
Vertical Jump: Top 10 (10th)
Broad Jump: Top 5 (T-5th)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... rfs-shines

Lots of short videos too discussing how impressed they were with Darryton Evan's performance:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darrynton ... 552053123e

Rekdiver

Re: Darryton Evans - Combine Winner

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:29 am

I postedthis from hi interview:
Joey Jones
@joeyjones3
My favorite line from Darrynton here:

Q: What would you say to the scouts that may brand you as a small-school guy?

A: I would just tell them to ask any team in the country if they’re comfortable playing against App State. They would receive a lot of “no’s” to that question.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:42 am

Along those lines, we’re having a difficult time filling the opening we have in 2025 for a road, one-off game against a Power 5 opponent. We’ve reached out to practically all of them. So far, no takers.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:43 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:29 am
I postedthis from hi interview:
Joey Jones
@joeyjones3
My favorite line from Darrynton here:

Q: What would you say to the scouts that may brand you as a small-school guy?

A: I would just tell them to ask any team in the country if they’re comfortable playing against App State. They would receive a lot of “no’s” to that question.
Good for him but I don't think scouts brand him as that. Evans also saw a lot of it against Penn State, UNC, SC, etc so he has plenty of film against future NFL draft picks. He looked good in those games as well. He also saw a few in the SBC.

These days in the SoCon or Big South a player may not have a one on one matchup with a NFL player except the 1 time they face a FBS team but our guys have plenty of film against legit NFL talent. Scouts see that. They are not as dumb as the media thinks they are. It is D2 and D3 players they worry about most.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:46 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:42 am
Along those lines, we’re having a difficult time filling the opening we have in 2025 for a road, one-off game against a Power 5 opponent. We’ve reached out to practically all of them. So far, no takers.
I don't blame those teams right now. They fear a loss to us but I'm sure they would play Coastal Carolina for the easy win. I knew we would have trouble filling in these games and I'm sure there are at least 3-4 schools we have deals with who would like to back out. Once you take these schools down they fear looking bad. I hope we stop playing FCS teams ourselves and aim for games against AAC, CUSA, etc.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:05 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:46 am
AppGrad78 wrote:
I don't blame those teams right now. They fear a loss to us but I'm sure they would play Coastal Carolina for the easy win. I knew we would have trouble filling in these games and I'm sure there are at least 3-4 schools we have deals with who would like to back out. Once you take these schools down they fear looking bad. I hope we stop playing FCS teams ourselves and aim for games against AAC, CUSA, etc.
Yeah, I'd REALLY like to start playing good AAC teams like Cincinatti & UCF so we can show just how good we are & why we deserve to play in AAC.

Also, i'm sure playoff material teams like Clemson & Georgia don't mind playing us.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:25 pm

MountaineerChemist10 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:05 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:
Yeah, I'd REALLY like to start playing good AAC teams like Cincinatti & UCF so we can show just how good we are & why we deserve to play in AAC.

Also, i'm sure playoff material teams like Clemson & Georgia don't mind playing us.
That is what I'm thinking. I figure you are right about those teams but if I'm a P5 in general I would not want to play a yearly top tier G5 team. 2025 is so far off we could be a bottom feeder in the SBC or a top 20 team just like they could be a 5-7 team or a national champion by then. It is so far off that you are taking a chance either way.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:08 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:25 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:

That is what I'm thinking. I figure you are right about those teams but if I'm a P5 in general I would not want to play a yearly top tier G5 team. 2025 is so far off we could be a bottom feeder in the SBC or a top 20 team just like they could be a 5-7 team or a national champion by then. It is so far off that you are taking a chance either way.
I suspect at least half, if not 2/3, of P5 cannot afford our asking price for a one-and-done money game, as well, if the Miami or USC series tell us anything.

Home-and-homes are gonna be tough too. No one wants a U(N/S)C situation, to lose to a G5 at home and still have a potential road loss at little old KBS looking them in face.

Get Boise, UCF, or Cincinnati on the phone. The strength of schedule would be mutually beneficial.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:25 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:08 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:

I suspect at least half, if not 2/3, of P5 cannot afford our asking price for a one-and-done money game, as well, if the Miami or USC series tell us anything.

Home-and-homes are gonna be tough too. No one wants a U(N/S)C situation, to lose to a G5 at home and still have a potential road loss at little old KBS looking them in face.

Get Boise, UCF, or Cincinnati on the phone. The strength of schedule would be mutually beneficial.
Unfortunately I think the AAC is going to avoid us like the plague for the near future. In their eyes it's a lose lose if one of their top dogs plays us. As the "P6" conference they are "expected" to beat up the lowly "Fun Belt" but a loss to us would empirically prove that we are as good if not better than their top dogs. If only the the Sun Belt conference would stump for us and UL the the AAC does for their front runners. Our conference is our biggest handicap right now, if they would just be proactive about it things could be different but it just doesn't seem like that's what the conference wants unfortunately. The App v UL game could/should be the Marquee event that Cinci v. Memphis was/is.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:22 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:25 pm
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:08 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Unfortunately I think the AAC is going to avoid us like the plague for the near future. In their eyes it's a lose lose if one of their top dogs plays us. As the "P6" conference they are "expected" to beat up the lowly "Fun Belt" but a loss to us would empirically prove that we are as good if not better than their top dogs. If only the the Sun Belt conference would stump for us and UL the the AAC does for their front runners. Our conference is our biggest handicap right now, if they would just be proactive about it things could be different but it just doesn't seem like that's what the conference wants unfortunately. The App v UL game could/should be the Marquee event that Cinci v. Memphis was/is.
I think you are both right. I would call AAC teams but if I’m them I avoid us as well. I don't think they are scared of us but would rather play a low level G5 team I'm sure. They see we have less and can pass many of them. If I was an AAC team I would offer to double Gillins salary and poach. We are dangerous with him overseeing football.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:34 pm

No oNe iS ScArIeD tO plAy aPP sTaTe...

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:34 pm
No oNe iS ScArIeD tO plAy aPP sTaTe...
Lol this is a direct quote from every "P6" school without us on their schedule. As soon as we show up on the schedule the story becomes "we should only have to play P6 schools because reasons".
FREQS AND GEEKS!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:22 pm

So Evans had a really good showing at the Combine. I think he represented himself well. Just trying to bring the topic back

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:53 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:22 pm
So Evans had a really good showing at the Combine. I think he represented himself well. Just trying to bring the topic back
So delighted for him and ADG. Puts a smile on my face to see these young men excelling and achieving their dream of being drafted.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:03 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:53 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:22 pm
So delighted for him and ADG. Puts a smile on my face to see these young men excelling and achieving their dream of being drafted.
We are putting together a pretty good streak of years with a combine invite and if not for the Moore injury I think we would have had a very good streak of having a draft pick. We are going to have 2, slight chance of 3, draft picks this year and should extend both combine and draft next year as well. I echo the same sentiment that it is great seeing guys get drafted! I'm waiting on the year we finally have a first round pick! We have been close so I am sure it can happen eventually.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:38 am

Jalin is still listed on the Jets roster.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:50 am

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:38 am
Jalin is still listed on the Jets roster.
I expect him to make rosters for a while. I was just talking about the fact he went undrafted. We have had several undrafted players make it in the NFL.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:39 am

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/college/

great site for NFL players by college.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”