Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

What is Bar for 2020 Football Season?

CoachRob
School: Appalachian State

Re: What is Bar for 2020 Football Season?

Unread post by CoachRob » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:09 am

I kinda feel like beating the stink should be added to the bar ... reality is they've had our number past two years with our better teams.

Wisconsin will be the best team we've played since Penn St. Wake has had the coaching stability over the past several years, while we will be on our 3rd coaching staff in 3 years. Both games are tougher P5 games than last year. And you gotta figure UL is going to get a win at some point vs us, right? They feel like they are better than last year, but I like us in Boone.

I will be happy with a SB Championship and our 6th straight bowl win. Whatever win total it takes.

NY6 should always be a goal. But it has to be the perfect storm for it to happen. Not to be negative, but realistically don't see it this year. I'll gladly pay up on any bets if I'm proven wrong.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:13 am

CoachRob wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:09 am
I kinda feel like beating the stink should be added to the bar ... reality is they've had our number past two years with our better teams.

Wisconsin will be the best team we've played since Penn St. Wake has had the coaching stability over the past several years, while we will be on our 3rd coaching staff in 3 years. Both games are tougher P5 games than last year. And you gotta figure UL is going to get a win at some point vs us, right? They feel like they are better than last year, but I like us in Boone.

I will be happy with a SB Championship and our 6th straight bowl win. Whatever win total it takes.

NY6 should always be a goal. But it has to be the perfect storm for it to happen. Not to be negative, but realistically don't see it this year. I'll gladly pay up on any bets if I'm proven wrong.
I would be ok losing the battle to ULL, but not the war,

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:52 pm

The bar? 14 wins, anybody and everybod we face. The tougher bowl opponent the better, just so we win. Just an opinion.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:13 pm

I will be happy with a split of the P5 games. Then our first undefeated SB regular season, another SB Championship game victory and a bowl win. Got a lot to replace on defense.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:29 pm

CoachRob wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:09 am

The NY6 is realistic only if we go undefeated and the AAC Champ has a loss. That can happen but I would say it is 50/50 at best.

As for win total because of the improvement of some teams and we know Louisiana is likely to be good I think we can't lose more than 1 SBC game to do so. I guess we could technically go 2-2 OOC and then 7-1 in SBC to go 9-3 before the SBC title game but I don't see how anyone on here can seriously tell me they would not be disappointed with less than 9-3. I'm not one for heads rolling quickly but if we go 7-5 in the regular season then changes will have to happen. We are too good to settle, as a team and fans and coaches, for a season like that.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:30 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:13 pm
I will be happy with a split of the P5 games. Then our first undefeated SB regular season, another SB Championship game victory and a bowl win. Got a lot to replace on defense.
I think worse case that is 10-2 regular season and 12-2. I really don't think we can lose 2 conference games and still get to the title game. GSU and CCU should both be better. I don't feel safe losing 2 league games.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:52 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:13 pm
We are in a pretty good spot with our replacements this year. There is some talent and experience that will be missed but we have some good ones coming back that got some nice game experience last year as depth. Now that they are starters, we need to replace the depth.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:38 am

I think the bar right now is if we even get to see a college football season.
If there is one NY6 is the bar but not likely IMHO.
Conference Championship and a bowl win is the standard.
My worry is law of averages starts to catch up with our record tear over the last few years.
Go App!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:27 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:38 am
My worry is law of averages starts to catch up with our record tear over the last few years.
Go App!
We have never had an undefeated season in conference play. We have been lucky to win/share the title every year by virtue of teams losing and keeping us in the top slot (looking at you Georgia Southern). I would like to see us run the table in the conference and not leave it to other teams to lose.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:55 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:38 am
Go App!
And like I said before I think a 9-3 regular season is the worst we can do and that still happen. If we lose to any non P5 team in OOC play then no chance we win the SBC. I won't feel safe that we will unless we at least beat Wake Forest.

It seems we all agree the bar with this team is SBC title, bowl win, and 9 wins at the minimum. There is no question that if we go 8-4 in the regular season and then lose a bowl game to go 8-5 there will be big pressure in 2021.

I look at it this way. Look who all is leaving. If we only go 8-4 in the regular season this year then we should expect a drop in 2021 and that could mean no bowl game. We are losing a lot this year so I feel like we need to strike while we have top 25 talent.

Need to replace depth at LB, get bigger and deeper on both lines and have to find the replacement for ZT this year as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”