Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Potential impacts of no pro day

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Potential impacts of no pro day

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:50 pm

I have seen articles online bringing this up. What would the impact of no pro day be? I post because I would be curious to see what others think.

Guys like Jordan Fehr who maybe could have worked their way into the draft may not do so now. I think this was also a wake up call that players need to test at the combine unless they are hurt. Don't put something off because none of us are guaranteed that chance. I was also thinking Victor Johnson and Josh Thomas could have really helped themselves but now they are not given that shot. I would have to think Victor would have been 100% for the pro day. Does anyone know where Victor stands right now?

Am I missing any other things?

huskie3

Re: Potential impacts of no pro day

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Common sense, when things go back to normal workouts will be rescheduled. Another two weeks may actually help health wise.
Bring Your A Game!

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:07 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:55 pm
Common sense, when things go back to normal workouts will be rescheduled. Another two weeks may actually help health wise.
Probably talking longer than a 2 week delay...

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:54 pm

I don't think no pro day will have any impact on Evans or Davis-Gaither's draft stock. Sometimes a Pro Day can actually do the opposite & hurt a player's stock (i.e. Duck gained lbs of muscle before '19 Pro Day, had slower 40-yard dash time) so I say it's a toss-up for guys like Fehr & Victor.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:07 pm

I'm sure if you ask the players they would tell you that want to have a Pro-Day. It sucks they won't get one this year...if that is indeed the case.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:32 pm

huskie3 wrote:
I am saying if they don't happen. The draft will happen as normal and I just don't see us having our pro day after all unless things are completely normal by then. So many things have been cancelled that I think most players won't want to test for NFL teams. Many players are very limited in what they can even do right now because of the policies of some facilities and those who have been training on campus.

It appears 50/50 that we even have a pro day at all, even if delayed for 2 weeks.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:33 pm

MountaineerChemist10 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:54 pm
I don't think no pro day will have any impact on Evans or Davis-Gaither's draft stock. Sometimes a Pro Day can actually do the opposite & hurt a player's stock (i.e. Duck gained lbs of muscle before '19 Pro Day, had slower 40-yard dash time) so I say it's a toss-up for guys like Fehr & Victor.
Pro Day did not hurt Duck. It verified what teams thought going in. He was never getting drafted.

I don't think Evans and Gaither needed to do anything but if they did anything and looked really good it helps in front of position coaches. I think the players it can hurt are Thomas, Fehr, Johnson, Franklin, etc.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:57 pm

It seems now no one will have pro day before draft. Therefore I think it will not hurt our players.
Bring Your A Game!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:58 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:57 pm
It seems now no one will have pro day before draft. Therefore I think it will not hurt our players.
A couple things to keep in mind here. No pro days and no visits so scouts can't get a first hand account or do medical tests on players. Gaither could fall a little bit with teams not being able to verify his medical standing. Players who don't get to test that may have impressed and got themselves drafted would now not have that shot. It would not shock me if Gaither and Evans both went 3rd-4th round range but if Gaither goes say 4th or 5th round then I feel like the lack of pro days, workouts, visits, and medical re-checks allowed Gaither to slide.

We will see. This is unprecedented. My thought was that any player with medical questions, whether fine or not, will fall more since teams just won't know.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:20 am

I know for a fact scouts were very interested in Colin Reed's pro day. His "weakness" coming out of HS was blocking and that is why he didn't get the bigger offers. Well, with our offense, his blocking was proven. He was frustrated a lot during his time at App due to the lack of receptions, but his agent has told him it would benefit him.

All that said, and no pro day hurts Colin tremendously. He won't be able to show off is pass catching skills, route running, etc. The film shows the occasional route, but majority is the blocking. I hate it for Colin, but it is what it is.

I really think he would have made a camp with the pro day since he is so far under the radar in terms of his true talent -- which is what the NFL wants.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:56 am

boonetown1 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:07 pm
huskie3 wrote:
Probably talking longer than a 2 week delay...
I assumed that "two weeks" was arbitrary and a timeline given only to get people receptive to whatever ideas while understanding restrictions could be extended once already in place.

It would be more wise for people to recognize this is more similar to Chinese SARs than the Spanish Flu that we've been dealing with now for 100 years.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:07 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:20 am
I know for a fact scouts were very interested in Colin Reed's pro day. His "weakness" coming out of HS was blocking and that is why he didn't get the bigger offers. Well, with our offense, his blocking was proven. He was frustrated a lot during his time at App due to the lack of receptions, but his agent has told him it would benefit him.

All that said, and no pro day hurts Colin tremendously. He won't be able to show off is pass catching skills, route running, etc. The film shows the occasional route, but majority is the blocking. I hate it for Colin, but it is what it is.

I really think he would have made a camp with the pro day since he is so far under the radar in terms of his true talent -- which is what the NFL wants.
Blocking did need to improve, and seemed to, but speed held him back more. He was not 6'5 250 and thus needed to be a lot faster coming out of high school. Everyone thinks Colin will run a 4.90-5.00 40. He was never known as a burner at App when he did get the ball but was a steady player.

My guess is a tryout now without a chance to have a good pro day workout.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”