Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Herbstreit comments re: season cancellation

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

Re: Herbstreit comments re: season cancellation

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:54 pm

SEC commissioner and ADs have already openly discussed the threat to the 2020 season. Chip Kelly stated he believes July 1 is the *absolute* last date CFB operations MUST begin to have a season start on time. Go on thinking Kirk is an idiot bc he likened us to a pastry 13 years ago.

Keep acting like it’s not a big deal. See what happens.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Thinking Herb is an idiot and the nation not having football in 2020 are not mutually exclusion.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:20 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:54 pm
SEC commissioner and ADs have already openly discussed the threat to the 2020 season. Chip Kelly stated he believes July 1 is the *absolute* last date CFB operations MUST begin to have a season start on time. Go on thinking Kirk is an idiot bc he likened us to a pastry 13 years ago.

Keep acting like it’s not a big deal. See what happens.
Herbstreit is a complete tool. That does not mean that he can't also be right about this.

And just for the record, the day they cancelled the conference basketball tournaments, I told my family that there would be no football season this year.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:53 am

appst89 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:20 am

Herbstreit is a complete tool.
lol. Can’t argue with that. He’s a tv personality. Personalities are always going to make enemies.

It’s funny bc in his interview all he did was predict what the powers that be might do from the perspective of a guy who’s at the top of the game. He’s not in the board room when they discuss these things but he’s listening at the door. (This goes for everybody) Let’s not forget his livelihood is on the line. No football = no job. Doubt he’d flippantly dismiss the season and give up a year’s salary just to ruffle feathers.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:54 pm

You know it is so hot and humid in Aug and Sep and sometimes in early Oct - rarely in the last few years have I seen a game late in the season where the weather was anywhere near severe. Even the NFL games in Jan/Feb I saw very little really bad weather - I wish they would move back the start of college football - teams don't need a month off before NYD bowl games ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:53 pm

Uh, well the Georgia Southern game on October 31st was about the most miserable I have ever been at an App game.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:28 pm

it was a night game -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:53 pm

Let's say the season can't begin until October. Do you just push the schedule back, stop games over winter break and finish in January/February (or even wait until April/May for nicer weather) to have a full season or do you shorten the season so you can have bowl season in December?\

Contingency plans need to be made over the next two months.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:43 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:53 pm
Let's say the season can't begin until October. Do you just push the schedule back, stop games over winter break and finish in January/February (or even wait until April/May for nicer weather) to have a full season or do you shorten the season so you can have bowl season in December?\

You would think that financials are going to come into play. The NCAA just lost a ton of money by cancelling March Madness. College Football is their other money maker.

One of the things that is going to happen whenever things resume is that you are going to have a ton of sports and entertainment options happening at once. People who may have spread their attendance around different seasonal events are going to have to make decisions between simultaneous events. Plus, some will not immediately come back to mass gatherings.
Finally, TV is going to play a role. Which events get priority on TV? Many of Fox's production crew worked the Super Bowl, then moved to Daytona to produce the Daytona 500. Productions crews and equipment could be in high demand.
Finally, the athletes themselves have to be considered in regards to preparation and length of season. Lots of moving parts that are hard to put in place without a firm time period to begin.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:22 am

T-Dog wrote:

Doable:
If think the best option if starting late is how the season begins is to push back the end week until the week before bowls start and keep the bowl schedule in play. Maybe drop the conf champ games and run with a 7-8 game season. Maybe do 6 conf games and 2 OOC, but OOC happen throughout the season. One option could be drop all OOC and just play a conf sch or have one OOC game with an in-state rival like Clemson-SC.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:31 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:22 am
T-Dog wrote:

Doable:
If think the best option if starting late is how the season begins is to push back the end week until the week before bowls start and keep the bowl schedule in play. Maybe drop the conf champ games and run with a 7-8 game season. Maybe do 6 conf games and 2 OOC, but OOC happen throughout the season. One option could be drop all OOC and just play a conf sch or have one OOC game with an in-state rival like Clemson-SC.

Who's on First?

NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:42 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:31 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:22 am
T-Dog wrote:

Doable:

Who's on First?

I was not the most articulate is getting that out I will give you that. I would try and redo it but now I am confused.
:D
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:28 pm

Brings me no joy to say but I’m thinking best case scenario we get a season of strictly conference games, and very possibly nothing at all. I’ve seen talk of spring football but logistically i just don’t know how it works - what happens the following fall?

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:23 pm

2 cents here, but fishing is really hot in September and October, so start the season mid-October with bowl games in February. Start of Basketball can overlap the Bowl Games since the first month of Basketball is meaningless anyway. NCAA tournament in May, then get the Masters in first part of June. Couple horse races sprinkled in early spring. Beach weather June through August and back to Football again. Baseball can run concurrent with Basketball because we don't really watch Baseball, just keep up with the stats.

Problem solved.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”