Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Finally VERY good news in these time

Seattleapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Finally VERY good news in these time

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:40 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:02 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:45 am
I have to think we will have some other young WRs step up also. It is impossible NOT to be nervous when losing 4 WRs AND the QB at the same time but I am still optimistic. Having a known stud to anchor the group is a HUGE plus!
No offense to the young man, but being a “STUD”, in high school, doesn’t always transfer to the same level at college. Let’s see him on the field before we get to far ahead of ourselves.
Wow. Way to let the air of the balloon. And name one stud in college that wasn’t one in high school? Who knows what his path will be but we ain’t getting many players that were offered by Alabama and Georgia out of high school.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:55 pm

High stars during recruiting haven't translated to stars at App, top 20 recruits 2018 and before:

Barbour (WR) - transfer from Wake, solid contributor
Covington (CB) - couldn't cut it, transferred UNCC
Garnett (S) - same, transferred to Alabama St.
Malik Williams (WR) - very good player, 3rd WR currently
Daniel David (QB) - transferred (I don't remember)
Meadors (WR) - solid contributor
Cathey (RB) - lost in the shuffle at RB, lower rated players like J. Moore shined
Marcus Williams - RB#2 currently
Hennigan - WR#2 on currently
D. Hicks (CB) - currently looking to transfer
John Law (LB) - beast, #FTC
Holloway (S) - transferred to Florida AM
Collins (TE) - transferred to Tennessee
Jay Person (LB) - in transfer portal
H. Taylor (DL) - in transfer portal
Josh Boyd (RB) - special teams
Chamberlain (S) - never played
Letman (WR) - Juco transfer, solid WR
Jordan Noil (S) - transferred to K. State
M. Adams (WR) - big body, good blocker, average WR

Only 5 of the top 20 went on to be All-Conference types, with 3 more as contributors.

Almost 50%, 9 transferred out.

Great news is WR seems to be an area higher rated players have risen to the "stud" level!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:06 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
I have to think we will have some other young WRs step up also. It is impossible NOT to be nervous when losing 4 WRs AND the QB at the same time but I am still optimistic. Having a known stud to anchor the group is a HUGE plus!
No offense to the young man, but being a “STUD”, in high school, doesn’t always transfer to the same level at college. Let’s see him on the field before we get to far ahead of ourselves.
Wow. Way to let the air of the balloon. And name one stud in college that wasn’t one in high school? Who knows what his path will be but we ain’t getting many players that were offered by Alabama and Georgia out of high school.
Here is a list of high school studs that were considered busts in college.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/C ... 133716114/

I found 50 Low rated high school players that were studs in college.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/153 ... in-college

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:13 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:05 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Yeah, that's true. At the very least, he would have to be considered a "stud recruit." I don't put a lot of stock in the star system generally but it is more meaningful at the 4-5 star level than it is at the 3 star level. All indications are that he has the physical talent.
I was about to say the same thing it is not guaranteed. Sometimes those guys are given 4 stars because of their offer list and they have size. Many of them are busts who never do anything. Just go back and look at any year and I bet you half of them don't pan out. This kid has not played at VT so we don't know for sure.

I'm hopeful though and I'll take him because we need the size and numbers for 2021 though. Welcome, Jacob!
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:21 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:06 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
Here is a list of high school studs that were considered busts in college.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/C ... 133716114/

I found 50 Low rated high school players that were studs in college.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/153 ... in-college
Those are good lists and so many more could be added. Think of all the guys in the NFL now who were not given any stars in high school. I think there are a couple reasons for this. Number one is that it is very hard to project the body transformation someone who is 17 now will go through before he is 21 or 22. The other is that the guys doing most of these ratings are basing it on offers and what they did at camps. If you are a player in a poorly recruited area or backup/role player who did not attend camps or a major all-star game then you can fall through the cracks.

Just look at the guy who announced transfer to LSU this week https://247sports.com/Player/Jabril-Cox-76875/

He was only a low 2-star because he went to NDSU out of high school. Now, it appears he would get drafted on day 3 if he had come out early so technically shouldn't he have been a 4-star recruit but he was not. He played QB in high school but was recruited as a LB. You truly never know.

Remember Ryan Watson? Did we recruit him as a S? I remember he was an OLB who moved to DE and then finished career as an All-SoCon DT. Did he start out at OLB or S though? I can't remember but was thinking perhaps he was a SS?? Regardless, still shows a body can develop so much.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:23 pm

Some other good news. And if someone knows how to start a topic on it i'm sure it'd be appreciated. App has set up a fund for students impacted by the virus who need aid. Some of our athletes, as well as other students don't have the home life that we might enjoy and this shelter in place mandate is making it even more difficult.
Website is https://www.give.appstate.edu/emergency
I gave a little and it showed total donated just north of $65,000 with 320 donors. Makes you a little proud of the mountaineers to see that. Anything helps, spread the word.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:20 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:23 pm
Some other good news. And if someone knows how to start a topic on it i'm sure it'd be appreciated. App has set up a fund for students impacted by the virus who need aid. Some of our athletes, as well as other students don't have the home life that we might enjoy and this shelter in place mandate is making it even more difficult.
Website is https://www.give.appstate.edu/emergency
I gave a little and it showed total donated just north of $65,000 with 320 donors. Makes you a little proud of the mountaineers to see that. Anything helps, spread the word.
Here's a new topic for this...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19025

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:00 pm

Only on our message board would we talk sh*t about a recruit coming in. Yes we have lots of Charlie hustle guys who’ve done well but who wouldn’t want a highly recruited kid? Yes a lot of guys were rated highly and didn’t pan out but there sure are a lot all over the country that did pan out. How stupid do we sound throwing shade on this kid. I mean really think about some of these idiotic comments. He mighta been good in high school and got offered by Georgia and Bama but he’s gotta prove to is he’s worth it on our team because we had that one star kid that one time that exceeded expectations. Yeah that makes perfect sense.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:55 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:00 pm
Only on our message board would we talk sh*t about a recruit coming in. Yes we have lots of Charlie hustle guys who’ve done well but who wouldn’t want a highly recruited kid? Yes a lot of guys were rated highly and didn’t pan out but there sure are a lot all over the country that did pan out. How stupid do we sound throwing shade on this kid. I mean really think about some of these idiotic comments. He mighta been good in high school and got offered by Georgia and Bama but he’s gotta prove to is he’s worth it on our team because we had that one star kid that one time that exceeded expectations. Yeah that makes perfect sense.
Literally no one has said a single negative word about Pinckney on this thread. One guy said he's not a "proven stud," which considering he hasn't played a college snap is a simple statement of fact.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:30 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:00 pm
Man I realize that people are a bit stressed with recent global events but who pissed in your Cheerios? I am not questioning his abilities, and I am not throwing shade at anyone. Now, if you are upset that I was able to provide you with tangible evidence to disprove your point, then so be it.

Does he fit a need? Yes. Does he have size? Yes. Does he seem to be a good fit? Appsolutley. Is he a stud? I hope so. You are twisting the comments to make your argument seem more plausible. No one is talking sh*t. Geeze.

AppSt80

Unread post by AppSt80 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:27 pm

Sorry, but yes you are.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:32 pm

Whatever man.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:40 pm

AppSt80 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:27 pm
Sorry, but yes you are.
I think 94 stated HUGH PLUS. Can't we all just stop the sniping and voice opinions. Good or bad our recruits and players are watching their PEERS?

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:42 pm

Sorry, that was 84 but comment still stands......

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:13 am

I like his attitude and think he has great potential at App State. Quotes from one story:
“First of all, you’ve got to see eye-to-eye with your head coach, just mutual respect and things like that. But, talking to Coach Clark, he’s a straight-forward type of guy. Through experience, I’ve seen it’s not really about what people say, it’s about what they do,” Pinckney recalls. “Everything about him has been consistent and from what people have told me – players, coaches, people who work in the program – he’s just a straight-forward guy.

“He’s going to get on his players, but his thing to me was I’m going to coach them hard and I’m going to love them harder. Hearing that is all well and good, but when the players are telling me that’s how he actually is that’s a good thing.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:52 pm

Woodstovegang wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:42 pm
Sorry, that was 84 but comment still stands......
Yep. I was the one who made the comment. I actually called him a "known stud" not "proven stud" if we're going to dissect words. I understand that nobody is trashing the guy but GEEZ, this didn't deserve more than a correction and acknowledgment...which happened a while back.

Woodstove, this isn't directed at you personally so please don't misinterpret it that way. Anyone with a LICK of sense knows that, regardless of "stars", ANY player has to earn his time on the field. This is a very strong recruit/transfer who appears to fit EXACTLY where we need him. We have a year to teach him the system and determine how he stacks up. At this point though, he's a recruit worth getting excited about.

GO APPS!

AppSt80

Unread post by AppSt80 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:42 pm

NCAA expects to vote on one-time transfer waiver https://es.pn/3aUzMZ3
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:10 pm

AppSt80 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:42 pm
Interesting, I imagine it would retroactively apply to all the student athletes who have transferred to a new school like Pinkney. To me the key piece to watch if this is passed is the influx of transfers and how that affects depth across nation specifically in regards to football and basketball. You know the big schools will go poaching through back channels but this coupled with the uncertainty with COVID-19 we are heading for a very interesting couple of months.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:08 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:10 pm
AppSt80 wrote:
Interesting, I imagine it would retroactively apply to all the student athletes who have transferred to a new school like Pinkney. To me the key piece to watch if this is passed is the influx of transfers and how that affects depth across nation specifically in regards to football and basketball. You know the big schools will go poaching through back channels but this coupled with the uncertainty with COVID-19 we are heading for a very interesting couple of months.
There could be some caveats to that transfer rule. Such as only to within a certain distance from your home. I can’t imagine them allowing carte blanche transferring. That would be anarchy. But then again, this is the NCAA that we are talking about.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:39 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:08 pm
NavyApp wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:10 pm
AppSt80 wrote:
There could be some caveats to that transfer rule. Such as only to within a certain distance from your home. I can’t imagine them allowing carte blanche transferring. That would be anarchy. But then again, this is the NCAA that we are talking about.
From what I read on this from quite a few different outlets it most likely will be Carte Blanche. As it concerns football I think this year (if passed) and next year will be complete chaos(like you said). After that I expect things to settle down. As for basketball this could kill non established mid majors. I heard an interview with Calipari about a month ago on the Dan Patrick show and he whole heartily believes this would kill the mid majors, and I agree. Power conference basketball is a cess pool, filled with scummy coaches, AAU coaches on the take, Athletic apparel companies with too much influence.

At the end of the day I'm all for this getting passed but it will change the landscape of college athletics dramatically.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”