Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

QB Recruit

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

QB Recruit

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Appalachian State has received a key football commitment from DC Tabscott, the top-rated 2021 quarterback in Tennessee.

247 Sports also ranks Tabscott 22nd nationally among pro-style quarterbacks and as the 41st-best 2021 quarterback overall.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

ASUFan4863

Re: QB Recruit

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:45 pm

Seems like it will be a crowded QB room next year with an open competition between 3-4 guys to be the 2021 starter - which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:52 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tabscott redshirt for the 2021 season especially with the talent we already have. With the future so bright...I gotta wear shades... :D

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:31 pm

I think it's an open competition for sure. As far as redshirting, that's likely for any freshman QB IF he doesn't win the job. It's just not a spot where a backup can earn enough meaningful playing time to warrant burning a year of eligibility.

But I'd say Tabscott and any other QB we sign this year have a better-than-normal shot of winning the job right away based on the fact that not only is the starter graduating but as of now, so is the backup. If Huesman is still the clear #2 by the end of the season, then you can understand why any incoming QB would like his chances of winning the job over the guys already on the roster.

As of today, you could tell me our 2021 QB1 will be DBG, Shuler, Tabscott or a recruit TBD and I wouldn't argue with you a bit.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:39 pm

Unless he wins the starting role, Tabscott would almost certainly redshirt. That would leave him 2 years to potentially start even if he doesn't win it in 2021.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:52 pm

According to EJ during spring practice, Huesman was the clear #2 on the roster. Granted, Schuler was in his first couple weeks of college FB, but was hoping DBG would have been further ahead at this point. Sounds like we could use all the competition we can get. Will probably see someone from that group transfer at some point, which is pretty standard from what we have seen over the past 4 years or so

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:18 am

I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong but I don’t see shuler being our starting quarterback.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:18 am

I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong but I don’t see shuler being our starting quarterback.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:52 am

I think Huesman is a lot better than most people realize.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:20 am

proasu89 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:52 am
You beat me to it.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:16 am

proasu89 wrote:
100% agree. I feel most are basing their opinion of him on that disastrous night at the Stink. He stepped into a hornets nest, and was asked to stop a boulder rolling downhill after it was already at full speed.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:19 am

proasu89 wrote:
I think this is probably accurate.

The only dilemma with Huesman being the primary backup is that he's a senior. God forbid, if something were to happen where Zac misses some snaps, you want to put the guy in that gives you the best chance to win, but you also would ideally have a guy with eligibility for 2021 that can get actual game reps.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:14 am

I imagine that if Zac goes down (God forbid), the QB of the future will get some snaps but having a solid senior backup helps to ensure it's not at the expense of the current game/season. I don't think Huesman being the backup is necessarily a negative toward the others. It's just saying that they haven't learned (yet) as much about the system as Huesman. That's reasonable since DBG has been in the system one year vs. Huesman has been with this team 4 years (including redshirt year).

Coach Clark knows the situation. I trust him to make the right calls to build for the future as well as protecting the present.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:03 am

proasu89 wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong,but, every time he has been called on he has delivered!!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:08 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:03 am
proasu89 wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong,but, every time he has been called on he has delivered!!
He's seen meaningful action in two games in his career. We lost one and won one, neither of which was primarily due to his play. His numbers were not good in either game. But both of those were two years ago, so who knows how much he's progressed in that time.

I don't think the discussion about our next starting QB is really about Huesman. It's just that, if neither of the younger guys can claim the #2 spot before next spring, then you'd have to assume the job is wide open for the taking.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:16 pm

What is your opinion? If Huesman is playing QB are we better or worse than with Zac playing? Zac started at Penn State and came out of Gates like a Stud. He bettered Taylor’s abilities Huesman looked rough at Ga Southern and did enough to win against a mediocre Coastal team. I am sure Huesman is better than two years ago. However barring other evidence I would be afraid our QB play would decrease from Zac’s level of play.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:36 am

At this point, if Zac were to go down and anyone on our roster had to replace him, it's almost certain there there would be some decrease in QB play. That's why Zac is the prohibitive starter...he's the best on the roster! Obviously nobody wants that to happen. If Huesman has to come in, I think we could win in our SunBelt games (assuming certain other questions get answered well). Having him as the backup doesn't mean that neither of the others couldn't be great in 2021. Looks to me like we are developing quite a strong group of options and I believe one of them will step up. Armanti didn't start out the 2006 season as the starter. Trey was the experienced option that started. It wasn't until Armanti came in and showed his skills in live action that the choice became obvious. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar situation in 2020 in the (hopefully) unlikely event that we need a substitute for Zac (hopefully not requiring an injury to Huesman before the other options are explored).

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:19 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:36 am
At this point, if Zac were to go down and anyone on our roster had to replace him, it's almost certain there there would be some decrease in QB play. That's why Zac is the prohibitive starter...he's the best on the roster! Obviously nobody wants that to happen. If Huesman has to come in, I think we could win in our SunBelt games (assuming certain other questions get answered well). Having him as the backup doesn't mean that neither of the others couldn't be great in 2021. Looks to me like we are developing quite a strong group of options and I believe one of them will step up. Armanti didn't start out the 2006 season as the starter. Trey was the experienced option that started. It wasn't until Armanti came in and showed his skills in live action that the choice became obvious. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar situation in 2020 in the (hopefully) unlikely event that we need a substitute for Zac (hopefully not requiring an injury to Huesman before the other options are explored).
My statements were thinking more on “post” Zac not if he went down.

Also your point about Armanti coming into game during live fire and stepping up to the call kind of proves my concern about Huesman. He had the same chance two years ago and those performances leave a lot of doubt in my mind that he can take us to a NY6. NY6 would require Sun Belt conf championship and basically undefeated OOC schedule.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:10 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:19 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:36 am
My statements were thinking more on “post” Zac not if he went down.

Also your point about Armanti coming into game during live fire and stepping up to the call kind of proves my concern about Huesman. He had the same chance two years ago and those performances leave a lot of doubt in my mind that he can take us to a NY6. NY6 would require Sun Belt conf championship and basically undefeated OOC schedule.

Fun story about Armanti. I was a freshman in 06(same as Armanti) and I had a few friends from high school on the football team. Before the season started I was hanging out with them and I was effusive about how excited I was to see them play and how I thought Trey was going to dominate. One of the guys was a sophomore and starting WR at the time told me this: "You know Trey is good and all but just wait until you see this little left handed kid, if Coach Moore puts him on the field he is never coming back out." I just remember being flabbergasted and thinking he might a tad overzealous. Boy was I wrong, my jaw hit the floor that game against Mars Hill(yeah I know he played against JMU) and the rest was history.

Sorry I know it's off topic but maybe we could be in store for something similar in the near future with our next QB. He could be someone we are not expecting and he could be the next great one.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:16 pm

This kid has an absolute CANON!!!! Can he read/react or lead a team, yet to be seen. But just arm talent, holy hell.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”