Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

QB Recruit

NavyApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: QB Recruit

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:43 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:16 pm
This kid has an absolute CANON!!!! Can he read/react or lead a team, yet to be seen. But just arm talent, holy hell.
I thought the same thing, the ball just explodes out of his hand. If we can get him to signing day we will definitely have an interesting off-season leading up to the 21 season.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:15 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:43 pm
ASUPATCH wrote:
This kid has an absolute CANON!!!! Can he read/react or lead a team, yet to be seen. But just arm talent, holy hell.
I thought the same thing, the ball just explodes out of his hand. If we can get him to signing day we will definitely have an interesting off-season leading up to the 21 season.
He is planning to enroll in January.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:15 pm
NavyApp wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:43 pm
ASUPATCH wrote:
He is planning to enroll in January.
Don't tease me.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:19 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:36 am
At this point, if Zac were to go down and anyone on our roster had to replace him, it's almost certain there there would be some decrease in QB play. That's why Zac is the prohibitive starter...he's the best on the roster! Obviously nobody wants that to happen. If Huesman has to come in, I think we could win in our SunBelt games (assuming certain other questions get answered well). Having him as the backup doesn't mean that neither of the others couldn't be great in 2021. Looks to me like we are developing quite a strong group of options and I believe one of them will step up. Armanti didn't start out the 2006 season as the starter. Trey was the experienced option that started. It wasn't until Armanti came in and showed his skills in live action that the choice became obvious. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar situation in 2020 in the (hopefully) unlikely event that we need a substitute for Zac (hopefully not requiring an injury to Huesman before the other options are explored).
My statements were thinking more on “post” Zac not if he went down.

Also your point about Armanti coming into game during live fire and stepping up to the call kind of proves my concern about Huesman. He had the same chance two years ago and those performances leave a lot of doubt in my mind that he can take us to a NY6. NY6 would require Sun Belt conf championship and basically undefeated OOC schedule.
The comment about Armanti and potential "gamers" was more referring to the probability ONE of the guys on our roster will step up. I understand that Huesman is not Zac and frankly I doubt we go to a NY6 Bowl without him in 2020. That said, I'm not overaly concerned about the post Zac period simply because Huesman is still listed as the backup. My position is pieced together so perhaps it didn't make sense.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:53 am

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:10 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:19 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:36 am
At this point, if Zac were to go down and anyone on our roster had to replace him, it's almost certain there there would be some decrease in QB play. That's why Zac is the prohibitive starter...he's the best on the roster! Obviously nobody wants that to happen. If Huesman has to come in, I think we could win in our SunBelt games (assuming certain other questions get answered well). Having him as the backup doesn't mean that neither of the others couldn't be great in 2021. Looks to me like we are developing quite a strong group of options and I believe one of them will step up. Armanti didn't start out the 2006 season as the starter. Trey was the experienced option that started. It wasn't until Armanti came in and showed his skills in live action that the choice became obvious. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar situation in 2020 in the (hopefully) unlikely event that we need a substitute for Zac (hopefully not requiring an injury to Huesman before the other options are explored).
My statements were thinking more on “post” Zac not if he went down.

Also your point about Armanti coming into game during live fire and stepping up to the call kind of proves my concern about Huesman. He had the same chance two years ago and those performances leave a lot of doubt in my mind that he can take us to a NY6. NY6 would require Sun Belt conf championship and basically undefeated OOC schedule.

Fun story about Armanti. I was a freshman in 06(same as Armanti) and I had a few friends from high school on the football team. Before the season started I was hanging out with them and I was effusive about how excited I was to see them play and how I thought Trey was going to dominate. One of the guys was a sophomore and starting WR at the time told me this: "You know Trey is good and all but just wait until you see this little left handed kid, if Coach Moore puts him on the field he is never coming back out." I just remember being flabbergasted and thinking he might a tad overzealous. Boy was I wrong, my jaw hit the floor that game against Mars Hill(yeah I know he played against JMU) and the rest was history.

Sorry I know it's off topic but maybe we could be in store for something similar in the near future with our next QB. He could be someone we are not expecting and he could be the next great one.
It's always interesting to hear different perspectives and "inside" stories from folks who were there at the time. From a fan's perspective though, it was my impression (during the recruiting cycle) that the recruit in that class who was considered the QB of the future was Coco Hillary! Obviously, Armanti passed him (at QB) quickly since AE was the one who came in when Trey got hurt (against NC State and against JMU). It was an amazing season watching AE develop as a premier QB!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:32 pm

Here is an interesting comparison. Jacob Eason was recruited to UGA as a 5-star and started almost immediately as a highly regarded freshman QB. He got hurt as a sophomore in our game and never regained starting spot from Fromm. The reason he didn't regain the starting role was because he was not viewed as being the guy that could win them the National Championship. His play after he transferred to Washington further confirmed that assessment so it wasn't without a valid basis. Eason was good but in live action wasn't good enough and that is where it really matters.

To '84, we are talking two separate points, 2020 and 2021. In 2020, hopefully Zac will stay healthy and am sure all of us agree is our best shot at a NY6. For 2021, I agree with you that hopefully someone on our QB roster now or incoming will step up and be the guy that can lead us to a NY6 bowl and win it.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:49 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:32 pm
Here is an interesting comparison. Jacob Eason was recruited to UGA as a 5-star and started almost immediately as a highly regarded freshman QB. He got hurt as a sophomore in our game and never regained starting spot from Fromm. The reason he didn't regain the starting role was because he was not viewed as being the guy that could win them the National Championship. His play after he transferred to Washington further confirmed that assessment so it wasn't without a valid basis. Eason was good but in live action wasn't good enough and that is where it really matters.

To '84, we are talking two separate points, 2020 and 2021. In 2020, hopefully Zac will stay healthy and am sure all of us agree is our best shot at a NY6. For 2021, I agree with you that hopefully someone on our QB roster now or incoming will step up and be the guy that can lead us to a NY6 bowl and win it.
Yes, different points being made and I think we're generally in agreement. The example of Eason / Fromm is very true. Eason had great skills on paper and in drills but in the game he was too slow in his reads. App had Eason shut down! When Fromm came in, it was night and day. He was slinging the ball much quicker and the game was over. I still think App should have gotten a bonus from UGA for that! They never would have gone to the championship game with Eason.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:05 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:49 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

Yes, different points being made and I think we're generally in agreement. The example of Eason / Fromm is very true. Eason had great skills on paper and in drills but in the game he was too slow in his reads. App had Eason shut down! When Fromm came in, it was night and day. He was slinging the ball much quicker and the game was over. I still think App should have gotten a bonus from UGA for that! They never would have gone to the championship game with Eason.
My dentist is in Athens and big UGA fan, to this day he says he doesn't believe it but most of their fans think we intentionally took Eason out. I said no we didn't but we did do you a favor.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:12 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:05 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:49 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

My dentist is in Athens and big UGA fan, to this day he says he doesn't believe it but most of their fans think we intentionally took Eason out. I said no we didn't but we did do you a favor.
My father was a Georgia alum, as are most of my extended relatives. Georgia is my #2 team (obviously behind App). I haven't heard anyone claiming it was intentional, although they probably wouldn't say it to me since they know I would call BS on it. I've converted most of them so that they follow and cheer for App also, so it's probably a biased population. LOL

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:44 pm

My dentist is probably talking trash so you have to factor that into conversation. All in jest.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”