Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

An Actual Football Discussion

GlassOnion

Re: An Actual Football Discussion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:45 pm

mtnjax wrote:Maybe moving Blalock to OLB will be a good move. He might be more suited to that position
Blaylock has flashes of very good play. He's also got alot of PT. If Woody can get him on the field while minimizing his weakness, its excellent coaching IMO.

Alot of people were expecting that kind of adjustment last year, and we never saw it.
Last edited by GlassOnion on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASU-FTW
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Please keep Blalock off the field. He can get run by just as easily playing OLB as he did playing safety. I believe he has a role on special teams though.

Perhaps if Woody experimented with him as a rushing linebacker only. That would eliminate the risks of his poor coverage ability. Still, he does not have great size for that role, but I will defer to the Woody on that one.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:10 pm

mtnjax wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:As spring practice continues, a few things that I've noticed from the reports:

Havent heard anything from Davante Harris.
Denzel Ward seems to be a consistant contributor. Noticeable names that havent heard from at LB, are McGowan, Dada, Frazier.
Satterfield seems very high on TEs.
Middleton and Barnes look huge, even when covering Price.
Deuce is back to exactly where he should be, (last year I was excited to see him at OLB, but this year, Im relieved he'll be back to rushing the QB,) we can call that experiment an oops.
Fergerson seems to be in the lead at RB, a surprise.
It looks like Greg Hall is going to be a good one.
From what i've read, there seems to be some injuries at LB so that might be why we've not heard much about McGowan, Dada, or Frazier.

From the Rivals article that was put up about our D-line, it looks like Harris has been buried on that depth chart.

Covington seems to be as advertised. Rivals posted a photo gallery and there was a picture of Covington covering Peacock, so it looks like he might getting the look at CB. Him and Blackmon at CB could be a dangerous combo (in a good way).

Interesting to hear that Ferguson is performing the way he is. Not to knock him, but it is kind of disappointing that he beating out Holloway, who was our legit FBS pickup last year and from what the coaches were saying could have been the lead back had he not been redshirted

Is anyone going to the spring practice in Charlotte? I plan on making my way down there and to the spring game as well. Can't wait to see the new defense in action!
I will be at the Charlotte practice.

It's a little early to conclude that anyone has been beat out yet. I like that Ferguson is stepping up his game a bit. I'm guessing we'll see plenty of Halloway.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:58 pm

I remember the spirited Richie/Ritchie conversations from a few years ago and other name issues, so I'm going to do this, at the risk of beign called the name police:

FerGERson, not FerGUson.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:29 pm

appst89 wrote:I remember the spirited Richie/Ritchie conversations from a few years ago and other name issues, so I'm going to do this, at the risk of beign called the name police:

FerGERson, not FerGUson.
While we're at it it's BLAlock, not BLAYlock.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:38 pm

name nazis...the crazy uncle of grammar nazis :lol:

anyway, back to football talk. with BlAlock moved to OLB, this essentially opens up both safety spots. I'm assuming Middleton will see time at 1(FS?) and either Barnes or Gray at the other (SS?). this could be the biggest secondary we've ever had, if Lott gets to come back at CB and Blackmon takes the other starting spot

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:10 am

At this point, it seems anyone can line up anywhere. Lott sure didnt help the situation.

On another note,
Last year, I counted 23 OL on the roster. We now have 12. And Ron Henderson is now listed as a DL. This is the kid, who almost drew an LSU offer late. Its curious that how thin we are at OL, they'd move this kid to DL, when we're as deep as we've ever been there.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:05 pm

GlassOnion wrote: On another note,
Last year, I counted 23 OL on the roster. We now have 12. And Ron Henderson is now listed as a DL. This is the kid, who almost drew an LSU offer late. Its curious that how thin we are at OL, they'd move this kid to DL, when we're as deep as we've ever been there.
Could be that he (RH) asked to move and the coaches are giving him this spring to convince them he should be there. If not he could easily move back to OL in fall camp.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:15 pm

97APP wrote: Could be that he (RH) asked to move and the coaches are giving him this spring to convince them he should be there. If not he could easily move back to OL in fall camp.
Could be. Just seems odd with the DL being stacked 3 deep already.
Seems like Deuce, Bronson/Burns, and Blair are a lock to start, and Hall has been tearing it up this spring, Milhouse has starting time, as does Devante Harris. And alot of these guys can play all of the positions.

I understood the Corbin move from DL to OL, I didnt understand the propaganda leading up to it, but I understand the need for depth at the OT spot last year. It just seems to me like alot of guys have bailed recently on the OL.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:12 pm

Just heard DJ say on the baseball broadcast that Karl Anderson will be coming back to team after the spring.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:13 pm

mtnjax wrote:Just heard DJ say on the baseball broadcast that Karl Anderson will be coming back to team after the spring.
Heard that as well, could be a huge unexpected boost. Karl played great in place of Grier last season.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:53 pm

asumike83 wrote:
mtnjax wrote:Just heard DJ say on the baseball broadcast that Karl Anderson will be coming back to team after the spring.
Heard that as well, could be a huge unexpected boost. Karl played great in place of Grier last season.
That is great news. It gives us some depth and a good player in the one weak area of our D. It also gives us some more flexibility this fall in deciding if and who we can redshirt. Might not have to throw most of our new guys to the wolves. We'll let them try and play their way in but I'll take all the experenced LB's we can get.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:17 pm

Much more confident in Karl at OLB than Blalock.

MrSkippy1973

Unread post by MrSkippy1973 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 am

Didn't make it to Charlotte how did Collmar look at RG. Was told he made some mistakes but didn't look bad.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Just had a thought while perusing through the Sun Belt board and the best uniform thread. I know we've seen some rumors on here about App getting new uniforms next year. Anyone think we might do something like UNC did at their spring game and have an unveiling at that time?

Looking forward to Saturday at the Rock!!

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Fri May 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Been a couple of good articles lately over on RIvals about the safeties during spring practice. sounds like it is a wide open competition between all 4: Middleton, Barnes, Gray, and Walton.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Fri May 03, 2013 8:35 pm

the secondary looks really, really, strong, talent wise, looks like one of the deepest we have had in long,time. We are going to have guys sitting on the bench who would be starters for any SC or Sunbelt team. Woody is going to have a nice problem trying to keep everyone happy.

mtnjax

Unread post by mtnjax » Fri May 03, 2013 8:41 pm

If Lott is allowed back, then our secondary will be reallllly deep. he was on the sidelines for both the CLT practice and the spring game, although in street clothes. but that is still a better sign than not being around at all. also saw a tweet from him offering thanks to teammates, coaches, and staff a couple of weeks ago, so maybe he is working his way back?

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:21 am

Satterfield has seen how innovation can change a football team. Hopefully he will utilize this year to try out some new things to implement in 2014. Would expect most of our games will be more easily winnable than at any other time with what additional 2013 players we could pick up.

Watched the GaSo -vs- ODU highlight reel on You Tube this week-end. Wow, seemed like GaSo had some thick players. Never paid much attention as I did knowing how that game would turn out. Their whole team looks like a bunch of bulls, no skinny guys like we have. Not knocking our teams, just stood out to me.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!
==========================================================================

GlassOnion

Unread post by GlassOnion » Mon May 06, 2013 10:41 am

Lott was very decent. I hope he gets his stuff together.

As for GSU's players looking thick, theyve got a good S&C program going on there apparently. McKinnon is listed at 5'9 216 lbs. Thats Rod Chisholm's height, and ten+ lbs up on him, and Chisholm wasnt exactly a wisp. Their RBs and FBs are all pretty darn stocky. Im interested in how their defense will perform this year without Russell in the middle. Theyve got some big bodies to put there, but who knows how they'll perform? Their offense will likely roll since they didnt lose anything besides a WR or two, which, for them, big deal.

BTW, if GSU was in their all whites, it typically makes the team look "thick." I always thought ours did too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”