Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Michigan game rewatch

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Michigan game rewatch

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:28 am

Out of shear boredom last night I watched the big game last night on You Tube. Honestly I realized that I had not ever actually watched the whole game. The day of the game I had listened to our broadcast on the computer. I’ve watched the usual highlights over the years. It was really amazing to see the many great plays. We had a couple of key injuries on the offensive line and the guys who stepped in were amazing. I didn’t realize until watching the broadcast that the kickoff rule had changed in 2007 with the line moved back to the 30. In my mind that played a huge role in the game. While we had a few kickoff duds we also brought back several kicks past the 30 which kept the offense from being backed up. I think we had one boomer that went into the end zone and their return guy bobbled one at the goal line and we made a great play to pin them back. It was still an amazing day and knowing the ultimate outcome made it really cool hearing the announcers talk about how a possible shocker was brewing early on.

Yosef84

Re: Michigan game rewatch

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:23 am

It's even more amazing when I re-watch that game with the knowledge that AE was playing with a pretty significant shoulder injury (chipped bone if I remember correctly). Definitely an amazing day for All Mountaineers!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:01 am

Didn't we only play something like as little as 27 players that day? If that is true, our training must have been top notch.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:12 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:28 am
Out of shear boredom last night I watched the big game last night on You Tube. Honestly I realized that I had not ever actually watched the whole game. The day of the game I had listened to our broadcast on the computer. I’ve watched the usual highlights over the years. It was really amazing to see the many great plays. We had a couple of key injuries on the offensive line and the guys who stepped in were amazing. I didn’t realize until watching the broadcast that the kickoff rule had changed in 2007 with the line moved back to the 30. In my mind that played a huge role in the game. While we had a few kickoff duds we also brought back several kicks past the 30 which kept the offense from being backed up. I think we had one boomer that went into the end zone and their return guy bobbled one at the goal line and we made a great play to pin them back. It was still an amazing day and knowing the ultimate outcome made it really cool hearing the announcers talk about how a possible shocker was brewing early on.
When Gingell lined up for the kick out of the hold of Mesko and the kick was blocked did you, fist pump, clap, woot, stand up excitedly because ya just couldn't help yourself? I do, every time I watch it. :D

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:23 am

Since we have been in FBS for a while, the magnitude of this upset becomes much larger than I originally believed. We were a great FCS team at that time but the depth differential between FCS and FBS has become more clear to me. It is not just the 85 vs 63 scholarships but the drop-off in capabilities once you get past the starters on the depth chart.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:00 pm

I completely agree with that talent and depth assessment. We had to use key starters on special teams. Brian Quick was on the line for the FG (thankfully). We had a few guys catching passes who would not even see the field now. Obviously a few guys were FBS quality but for the most part not even close. A few of the passes our little corners defended were just out of sheer determination. You could tell we were wearing down and many guys were on fumes. When they showed the Michigan team running in at the beginning of the game they just looked huge and on another plane. Even Henne was big. I acted like I had no idea what was going to happen in the last minute or so. My wife thought I was nuts- she said that I already knew the outcome! How many plays did we pull off that had to work or the outcome was reversed? At least a dozen or so.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:31 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:00 pm
I completely agree with that talent and depth assessment. We had to use key starters on special teams. Brian Quick was on the line for the FG (thankfully). We had a few guys catching passes who would not even see the field now. Obviously a few guys were FBS quality but for the most part not even close. A few of the passes our little corners defended were just out of sheer determination. You could tell we were wearing down and many guys were on fumes. When they showed the Michigan team running in at the beginning of the game they just looked huge and on another plane. Even Henne was big. I acted like I had no idea what was going to happen in the last minute or so. My wife thought I was nuts- she said that I already knew the outcome! How many plays did we pull off that had to work or the outcome was reversed? At least a dozen or so.
I agree with the lack of depth but not lack of talent.
Google SUX

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:05 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:31 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
We had talented players but probably not what would be considered FBS level type guys. No slight on any of them but they played over their heads in that game.

AppSt80

Unread post by AppSt80 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:30 pm

So wrong.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:31 pm

I know we all get a little tired of the media portraying the Michigan win as our only major accomplishment.
I was a senior at App in ‘07. My roommate got us front row seats (FRONT ROW) right behind the App bench with our dads. To this day, neither of us know how we got those tix. We were surrounded by maize and blue. At first their fans were extremely arrogant, after Dexter’s long TD, they were awake but still cocky. They became increasingly more “shook” as we held the lead most of the game. Before lining up for that last kick though they knew that had escaped, they were back to being cocky. Many if them were laughing and said “not today boys.” When Corey blocked that kick (right in front of us), everything is a blur. I was standing on the brick wall surrounding the field. We were jumping high fiving and hugging each other and the players. One thing I’ll never forget is how quiet 100,000+ became, and how loud the small pockets of App fans were. What an incredible rush, one of my greatest memories! GO APPS!!

PS: We left a lot of points on the field that day... Michigan was lucky it was that close at the end!

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:28 pm

I too was a senior that year and a friend of mine came up the mountain to watch the game with me at a sports bar. He had the best line of the day. Normally very quiet, he jumps up in the middle of this crowded bar just after Dexter housed his first TD and yells, “That’s how we go three and out!”

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:41 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:12 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:28 am
When Gingell lined up for the kick out of the hold of Mesko and the kick was blocked did you, fist pump, clap, woot, stand up excitedly because ya just couldn't help yourself? I do, every time I watch it. :D
I was listening on the radio and my dad and I were calling each other on the phone during the game. We had a nice chat during half-time about our chances of hanging on given how the 1st half ended. We called after every score.

I remember being on my hands and knees swinging back and forth on the last FG attempt and hearing "the kick is blocked." and freezing for a second trying to get my brain to decode what all of this meant for the game. Then I realized what happened and I ran outside and yelled as loud as I could as I dropped to my knees in the front yard. My dad called on the phone and I remember saying "I can't talk now," and slamming the phone down. My oldest, that is now the App alumna herself, DaugherofMcLeansvilleAppFan on here, was 11 at the time, started crying she was so afraid I was going to have a heart attack. I finally calmed down and called my dad back to apologize for slamming the phone down. He was not mad and understood, but I remember him laughing in that sort of laugh that means, "I get it."

I remember it like it was yesterday and still have a smile on my face as I type this out.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:16 pm

InFor6More wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:28 pm
I too was a senior that year and a friend of mine came up the mountain to watch the game with me at a sports bar. He had the best line of the day. Normally very quiet, he jumps up in the middle of this crowded bar just after Dexter housed his first TD and yells, “That’s how we go three and out!”
I was also a senior. Watched it downstairs at Geno’s. When we blocked the kick, it was the loudest, most surreal slow motion sports moment of my life.

We jumped up on the table and it collapsed (not to be destructive, we were just losing our minds. They had a bunch of those fold out ones) then everyone just ran outside to celebrate. My friend jumped into that strange little pond thing at the entrance and everyone was stopped on 105, honking their horns.

It wasn’t until hours later I realized I never paid my tab. Sorry Geno’s. I promise I spent plenty of money on you.

A day I’ll never forget.
YNWA

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:51 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:05 pm
NewApp wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
We had talented players but probably not what would be considered FBS level type guys. No slight on any of them but they played over their heads in that game.
What about Lynch and Armanti? Both made it to the NFL (however Edwards got precious little PT with the Panthers) Armanti was drafted in the third round, I believe, and Corey played a few years in the NFL. Not trying to start an argument, just asking.
Google SUX

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:22 am

My family, on my Dad’s side is from Michigan so I have rooted for them somewhat given the ties. My Uncle had season tickets for awhile. He would fly up on Gameday from Raleigh and fly back after. I was emailing with him the day before the game. I remember telling him that Michigan should dominate the LOS and if they have to throw the ball more than 10 times, then it could be interesting.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:27 am

NewApp wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:51 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
NewApp wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
What about Lynch and Armanti? Both made it to the NFL (however Edwards got precious little PT with the Panthers) Armanti was drafted in the third round, I believe, and Corey played a few years in the NFL. Not trying to start an argument, just asking.
Take a look at the picture from the coin toss. This is what he is referring to.
https://andrewjkahn.com/2017/08/28/appa ... igan-2007/

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:38 am

I remember thinking I'd finally settled down and turning over to SportsCenter on ESPN at the beginning of the hour. It began with Corey running down the field as you heard the call, "And the kick is blocked.." Over a decade later and still chills.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:15 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:27 am
NewApp wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:51 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
NewApp wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Take a look at the picture from the coin toss. This is what he is referring to.
https://andrewjkahn.com/2017/08/28/appa ... igan-2007/

If you mean the desparity in size, I could agree somewhat, except the superior size is what cost the Wolverines the game. We were so much faster coupled with the Spread Offense's inherent reliance on speed that we were in effect superior, not to mention the superior physical condition we possessed. Just my opinion.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:39 am

They were bigger, we were faster.
We were prepared. Great trivia question.
“Who were the two teams that played in the first Big 10 Network game?”

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:48 am

Even better, What team won the first game televised on the Big 10 network?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”