Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ODU AD wants to blow up CUSA

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: ODU AD wants to blow up CUSA

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:49 am

AppinVA wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:23 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:21 am
citroknight wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:32 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:32 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:27 pm

This is correct. B1G added those programs so they could get the B1G Network on cable providers in those markets. That's it.
Same reason why Charlotte was taken. Although, getting in the markets was good but you still want them to win more than 1-3 games a year. Rutgers sticks out like a sore thumb as a team who just does not belong with those other programs. They have great facilities but it is hard to sustain success long term there. It is possible but very hard considering they have Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc to compete with now.
Kind of. The AAC and CUSA market adds were for the potential and high ceiling.

The B1G adds of Maryland and Rutgers were for a concrete increase in money to the conference. They already had a conference network that they knew could add X dollars per person in carrier fees, you just multiply it by the Y number of people who are in the media market for each school. Given that they knew what X and Y were, they knew the actual amount of financial benefit of adding them.

Adding teams like Charlotte was purely hoping for them to be good one day and attract a large following.
From a money standpoint they made sense for sure. Like you said, they knew what they were getting. If you know you can add a certain amount of revenue it is big. If you don't already have that market and the team has their own TV network it makes complete financial sense.

Those teams aren't any good in those leagues in football but you have to have someone finish at the bottom. Why not have your bottom teams come from a very good market. lol

Charlotte was definitely just a hope and dream. Being new they did not have anything built up and you have to think they have a shot. App State and Coastal Carolina moving up has to hurt them in recruiting. Our tradition and facilities along with CCU being at the beach are tough for Charlotte to recruit against. Maybe they will get a little relief with CCU moving back down one day. Coastal really never had any business moving up to begin with and that is okay. Nothing wrong with being FCS or D2.
I don’t see Coastal moving down. Too much going for them.
I don't see it soon for sure. Not sure what they have going for them though that means they stay here forever. It would not shock me if NCAA finally enforces rules and one day they end up having to drop down. They average around 15k and really need to win or else that number could drop. MB is a tourist town and does not support that team like they hoped it would. I know people there who never go to games or if they do they tailgate and leave by halftime. Very few people in MB care.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue May 12, 2020 11:16 am

I’m going to break the long quote chain. They’ve only been in the league a couple of years. Give them some time. They have only had a team since 2003, so it has taken them fewer than 15 years to get to the FBS level. Yes, Coastal benefited from JMU watching strike three go by without a swing — which hastened their timeline —but they’re here, and their retired head coach is chairman of TD Ameritrade. He has a lot of well-off friends, and they’re in a market with a chamber of commerce that sponsors events on the other side of the country.

We shouldn’t be scared of them. We do what we do and we do it well, but don’t think they’re going to go away without a fight. They got their stadium upgrades through a hostile legislature that sought to put them back in their place. The Myrtle Beach Bowl, is not going to be played on a golf course.

From what I understand, we played a key role in their invite to the Sun Belt, so I see us being aligned in any future moves (unless we pull the golden ticket to the AAC), and it would be in our best interests to do so.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:50 am

I like Coastal and I like having them in the conference.

It still shocked me when I found out they were moving up, but I can see them becoming a threat over time. I also don’t think USC loves having them in their backyard, which I find hilarious.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:57 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:16 am
I’m going to break the long quote chain. They’ve only been in the league a couple of years. Give them some time. They have only had a team since 2003, so it has taken them fewer than 15 years to get to the FBS level. Yes, Coastal benefited from JMU watching strike three go by without a swing — which hastened their timeline —but they’re here, and their retired head coach is chairman of TD Ameritrade. He has a lot of well-off friends, and they’re in a market with a chamber of commerce that sponsors events on the other side of the country.

We shouldn’t be scared of them. We do what we do and we do it well, but don’t think they’re going to go away without a fight. They got their stadium upgrades through a hostile legislature that sought to put them back in their place. The Myrtle Beach Bowl, is not going to be played on a golf course.

From what I understand, we played a key role in their invite to the Sun Belt, so I see us being aligned in any future moves (unless we pull the golden ticket to the AAC), and it would be in our best interests to do so.
No doubt I agree heavily with what you said. I'm not afraid of them at all. I'm just saying they don't have a ton of support through Myrtle Beach. Most there will only care if they win big. They definitely benefited from JMU not wanting to go at the time but my point is they need to become a winner, which they could.

I know they have not been around long but I am just skeptical they will have long term success in football. It can happen but I have seen them make a bunch of dumb moves like firing David Bennett too early and some other things that make me wonder. I mean that team slowly declined under his replacement and they have not been real good since. Chadwell can is a coach who could do it though.

I'm happy to be in the SBC with them for sure. I'm not sure South Carolina cares about them being there in football though. Any kid that the Gamecocks truly want with a CCU offer will go to South Carolina. CCU is no threat to them.

I don't see the AAC taking them, even if they have 4-5 slots open up. We definitely need to go to AAC if we get that golden ticket.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:22 pm

CCU winning the baseball title didn't sit well with SC.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:37 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:22 pm
CCU winning the baseball title didn't sit well with SC.
100% true. They think they should own the state in baseball but the last few years they have not been the same caliber program. CCU is superior to them in baseball right now just like we are superior to them in football right now. The fact they are being beaten by two FCS schools, in their minds, in their two favorite sports does have to sting. I know I love it!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:57 pm
AppinVA wrote:

No doubt I agree heavily with what you said. I'm not afraid of them at all. I'm just saying they don't have a ton of support through Myrtle Beach. Most there will only care if they win big. They definitely benefited from JMU not wanting to go at the time but my point is they need to become a winner, which they could.

I know they have not been around long but I am just skeptical they will have long term success in football. It can happen but I have seen them make a bunch of dumb moves like firing David Bennett too early and some other things that make me wonder. I mean that team slowly declined under his replacement and they have not been real good since. Chadwell can is a coach who could do it though.

I'm happy to be in the SBC with them for sure. I'm not sure South Carolina cares about them being there in football though. Any kid that the Gamecocks truly want with a CCU offer will go to South Carolina. CCU is no threat to them.

I don't see the AAC taking them, even if they have 4-5 slots open up. We definitely need to go to AAC if we get that golden ticket.
True, but that replacement has generational wealth. I have no basis to back this up, but I feel that support will teach a critical mass. Folks have been betting against Coastal since they announced football (most likely before). Everyone who has, has been proven wrong.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:23 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:57 pm
AppinVA wrote:

True, but that replacement has generational wealth. I have no basis to back this up, but I feel that support will teach a critical mass. Folks have been betting against Coastal since they announced football (most likely before). Everyone who has, has been proven wrong.
CCU was a team that I felt meant we had to really push to move up ASAP because if they did they would be a thorn for us. They were in a prime spot to be a FCS power. I think they have potential to be a SBC power but they have fallen short. We will see. The current FCS team who I believe has as much or more potential than CCU is Kennesaw State. They have a lot of things going for them and could be a surprise FBS team one day. Like CCU though they need to improve attendance.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue May 12, 2020 9:30 pm

Kennesaw has potential, for sure.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:48 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:30 pm
Big time. They have a heck of a coach as well. He should be a P5 HC one day. He is brilliant and a great leader. I have heard nothing but good about him.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:55 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:48 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Big time. They have a heck of a coach as well. He should be a P5 HC one day. He is brilliant and a great leader. I have heard nothing but good about him.
If UNCC has another decent season, I think Healy is probably on his way to the P5 (VT? Miami? South Carolina?)

If that happens I’d imagine UNCC will take a hard look at Bohannon.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:05 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:55 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
If UNCC has another decent season, I think Healy is probably on his way to the P5 (VT? Miami? South Carolina?)

That would be a great hire for them. I personally think there is a good chance that all of those jobs are open and at least 2 of them will be. I mean anything can happen and they all rebound but I don't see it right now. South Carolina's coaching staff is one of the most inept in the P5 level right now. I can seriously say that I would not trade our 2019 or current 2020 staff for their staff as a whole and they only have 2-3 coaches on their staff I would even take to fill out ours if we lost someone. I am not a big fan of what I'm hearing out of VT. We will see on Miami. I have seen signs that they are not recruiting well. I really wish we could get VT on the schedule in the next 5-7 years and all 3 schools would keep their coaches through 2027. lol

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:04 am

ah59396 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

I think they'll have to have more than a decent season to make that jump. He's going to have to either sustain a successful trend or knock the top out of a season. I do think Healy is a very good coach and he will probably get there at some point. Things are crazy right now and there are factors that are impossible to predict so I could be totally wrong. My crystal ball is very cloudy and my track record for predictions really stinks lately. LOL

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed May 13, 2020 8:20 am

I am so glad we don’t have an AD like Wood Selig. He talks WAY too much. Total stream of consciousness with that guy.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed May 13, 2020 8:25 am

ah59396 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

South Carolina won’t hire a coach from G5. Trust me. I broadcast to Gamecock fans every day. They fancy themselves WAY too good for that. They’ll go back to the Saban tree or try to snatch a high level SEC coordinator.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:48 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:25 am
ah59396 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

South Carolina won’t hire a coach from G5. Trust me. I broadcast to Gamecock fans every day. They fancy themselves WAY too good for that. They’ll go back to the Saban tree or try to snatch a high level SEC coordinator.
They definitely do think that but you know what. I hope they don't change. They need to keep their same mindset. It is working well to our advantage. One fact they need to look at is that nobody who has been a head coach at South Carolina gone on to be a D1 HC in the last 30 years except Sparky Woods going to VMI. They are a coaching graveyard and they will continue to be. I would gladly take a hotshot from FCS if they are a winner and fit our style. We aren't above that. The fact they think they are above taking a top tier G5 HC is just one of many reasons why their arrogance bites them in the butt so much.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed May 13, 2020 11:30 am

AppStFan1 I love that we got an "App guy" in Shawn Clark but I didn't understand the insistence on it from some fans. Give me a coach who can win...if he's an App guy, great. If he's not and he leaves for a bigger job after 2 or 3 years, fine. If Clark can get it done he'll have big time schools calling in 3 years. He loves it here but if anyone really believes he'll stick around for 20 years you're naiive.

Relevance? South Carolina fans and leadership insist they're too good to scoop up an up-and-comer and absolutely have to go the SEC family tree. Outside of a small handful of dudes, that policy has not worked very often. Their rigidity and hubris is their downfall.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:55 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:30 am
AppStFan1 I love that we got an "App guy" in Shawn Clark but I didn't understand the insistence on it from some fans. Give me a coach who can win...if he's an App guy, great. If he's not and he leaves for a bigger job after 2 or 3 years, fine. If Clark can get it done he'll have big time schools calling in 3 years. He loves it here but if anyone really believes he'll stick around for 20 years you're naiive.

Relevance? South Carolina fans and leadership insist they're too good to scoop up an up-and-comer and absolutely have to go the SEC family tree. Outside of a small handful of dudes, that policy has not worked very often. Their rigidity and hubris is their downfall.
That is what I have said. If Shawn can't win titles I don't care where he graduated but I would want to move on. The purpose is to win the games and run a program you can be proud of. If he can do that then great. I don't care if we have to get the guy from Oregon or North Dakota State or if the right man is a D2 head coach. I want the best coach we can get.

Clark will stick around a while but he is no guarantee to stay if the right offer comes. He won't jump fast like Drink did but he won't turn down 5M a year either. I would encourage him to go when it reaches 4-5M a year.

South Caroilna certainly has had the wrong approach. We have had fans insistent on an App guy and that does not matter to me. If the right guy is an App guy then yes take them but if the best buy for us comes from the outside then take them.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed May 13, 2020 12:00 pm

An App guy is a winner. Even if they weren’t originally an App guy.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:04 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:00 pm
An App guy is a winner. Even if they weren’t originally an App guy.
We can definitely make someone who was not an App guy in college an App guy now. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”