Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

BOLD PREDICTIONS

CharlotteApp05
School: Appalachian State

BOLD PREDICTIONS

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:59 am

Thought it would be interesting to see where everyone's head is at. Not to be ridiculed for ideas, thoughts, etc.

What are your bold predictions for the 2020-2021 season of sports and especially ASU football?

Football:
We will have a season
We will not all make it to the Rock.
Early on no spectators and later reduced number.
We will be Sun Belt champions
Due to a 2nd round of the virus, bowl game contracts are reconsidered and App finds itself in a bowl game outside of our conference affiliation.

Sports:
# of non revenue sports GAMES reduced and travel also reduced
APP is able to recruit higher level commitments who want to stay more local
The toll it takes on athletic programs results in a conference realignment after the season.

App:
Significantly less students on campus with more virtual learning in the fall semester.

Yosef84

Re: BOLD PREDICTIONS

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Football: The quality of competitor that App recruits (self-motivated, chip-on-shoulder, hungry and eager to prove something) pays dividends. That, combined with an early Spring camp which resulted in more days of Spring practice for App, results in App returning in the Fall in better condition than competitors. The final result is ANOTHER BANNER YEAR for App football, despite a shortened season and other challenges.

Basketball: In what should be a re-building year, Coach Kerns takes his young recruits and transfers and manages to exceed expectations again by winning 20 games. Team play, Defense and (shockingly) free throws are the strong points.

Baseball: The Diamond Apps deliver on the long-awaited season by winning 30+ games.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Tue May 12, 2020 1:39 pm

There won’t be football if I had to guess...and I’m not being doom and gloom...just realist. I want and need it...love my tailgate family but if two or three get this on a team...any team, they’ll have to quarantine a great number of players and you’ll see teams have to forfeit...and that won’t sit too well with the big boys in the super conferences. I hope I’m wrong...my liver hopes I’m right...we need to get this right...using sensible approaches and not knee jerk hurry up and open approach

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:43 pm

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:39 pm
There won’t be football if I had to guess...and I’m not being doom and gloom...just realist. I want and need it...love my tailgate family but if two or three get this on a team...any team, they’ll have to quarantine a great number of players and you’ll see teams have to forfeit...and that won’t sit too well with the big boys in the super conferences. I hope I’m wrong...my liver hopes I’m right...we need to get this right...using sensible approaches and not knee jerk hurry up and open approach
I hope you're wrong but I'm afraid you are right. I went for the optimistic predictions across the board. While I'm sequestered here, I'm trying to stay positive but it's not easy.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue May 12, 2020 1:46 pm

Its all or nothing...I know long time NCSU and VT season ticket holders who have have purchased "Lifetime Rights" that say if they are asked to buy season tickets to maintain their "Lifetime Rights" but there are no games or they can't go to the games then they are out. Its going to be like that at every school that cares about football.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:15 pm

The only thing I feel confident in saying is that we will have football season. It won't be normal and we won't see 100% normal football until 2021 and I still assume stadiums will make some long term changes.

As for how we will do I think we repeat as SBC Champs.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:19 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:46 pm
Its all or nothing...I know long time NCSU and VT season ticket holders who have have purchased "Lifetime Rights" that say if they are asked to buy season tickets to maintain their "Lifetime Rights" but there are no games or they can't go to the games then they are out. Its going to be like that at every school that cares about football.
If fans would be smart and refuse that overall then schools won't pull that trick. I hope those fans mean what they said. I would hope if App does that to us that we would not buckle. We are suppose to be a family and family does not do that to you.

We still have people who bought lifetime gold seats back in the 70s and 80s when offered that had them stripped away at one point. Some of them stopped going to games. ADs need to be more creative with ad revenue if they need the money instead of offering these deals and then going back on them 10-20 years later. A lifetime means their lifetime and not just a decade.

If you buy lifetime rights to a seat the school should have to uphold them or lose state funding if fans go to the legislature and prove it. That or fans not biting on the trick would stop that quickly.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Tue May 12, 2020 2:26 pm

let Me just reiterate...I really wanna be wrong. People might get mad that what I’m typing might sway donors...and I’m not that influential. Let’s hope within the next few months they find a medicine that quickly aids in the healing process. If that happens the season would happen imho. As for basketball season...I have 4 years eligibility left so I could help the team provided I don’t have to run. And baseball...I’ll be the Yosef’s version of the dancin homer and have some fun...beerhat and all!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue May 12, 2020 2:36 pm

No football season ….? How do you pay your coaches who are under contract? Your debt service? Your scholarships? Under that scenario most colleges would have to scrap their athletic programs , rather than take a year off .

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:47 pm

It's hard for me to say this because I love college football more than any other sport, but I don't think we will have a season this year. At best a delayed season. Way too many factors with only about 3 months to get them sorted. It's not as simple as reopening a barber shop or even a restaurant.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Had this same conversation with my dad the other day. He's more optimistic than me, but I pointed out what you mentioned about what if someone tested positive.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:34 pm

There will be a football season of some type this year.
Bring Your A Game!

roachgone

Unread post by roachgone » Tue May 12, 2020 4:44 pm

If we don’t have football you can kiss goodbye to most sports and maybe all of them. Without football - no money. Wear masks, hand sanitizing stations and if you don’t feel comfortable coming stay home.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:48 pm

We’ve had a UFC fight, about to have a NASCAR Race, MLB is working in a plan to come back 7/1.

Organizations are finding solutions, we will continue to do so.

If we change nothing as of today you are correct there won’t be a football season, if we continue to learn where the risks are and take precautions we can salvage many things society isn’t currently doing. Looking forward to each “normal” activity as we progress.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:48 pm
We’ve had a UFC fight, about to have a NASCAR Race, MLB is working in a plan to come back 7/1.

If we change nothing as of today you are correct there won’t be a football season, if we continue to learn where the risks are and take precautions we can salvage many things society isn’t currently doing. Looking forward to each “normal” activity as we progress.
UFC and NASCAR are apples to orange comparisons to college football. Not even close.

UFC fighter or NASCAR driver test positive that's an individual who can't compete. Handful of players on a close to 100 player college football team test positive the team likely wouldn't be allowed to compete.

DontPlayWithYosef

Unread post by DontPlayWithYosef » Tue May 12, 2020 6:06 pm

We were told in the beginning that half of the U.S. population would get the virus and we now know that greater than 98% of those who get it are fine.
I’m holding out hope that we continue to see the curve flattened while taking the appropriate social steps where football is back on time in the Fall.
More than ready for life to get back on track...Go App!!
Last edited by DontPlayWithYosef on Tue May 12, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:53 pm

For once, I’ll pulling hard for the P5’s. It’ll take their fan bases to make it happen.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue May 12, 2020 7:01 pm

ULLLLLLLLL will become ULLLLLLLLLLL

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:04 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:00 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

UFC and NASCAR are apples to orange comparisons to college football. Not even close.

UFC fighter or NASCAR driver test positive that's an individual who can't compete. Handful of players on a close to 100 player college football team test positive the team likely wouldn't be allowed to compete.
Missing the point. A month ago those weren’t possible either, we will adapt and find solutions.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:52 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:04 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:00 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Missing the point. A month ago those weren’t possible either, we will adapt and find solutions.
I am in Myrtle Beach on business tonight. Restaurants are serving diners inside at 50% capacity and hardly anyone is wearing a mask. If you didn’t read/watch the news, it would appear to be a normal off season day at the beach.

While nothing will surprise me, I find it hard not to think that football couldn’t be played in the Southeast in 4 months. Part of the country appears to be coming out of this

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”