Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Bowl Games

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: Bowl Games

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:42 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:35 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:03 am
AppState89 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:36 am
AppGrad78 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:37 pm
https://goccusports.com/common/controls ... tadium.png

Never been a fan of Myrtle Beach, but Brooks Stadium is a first-rate facility that seats 21,000. I’m guessing a majority (or at least a plurality) of App fans would be thrilled to spend a bowl weekend there in December.
100% would want to be there. We will pack the stadium and the travel will be short and cost a lot less than New Orleans. I'd be fine going there each year and beating an AAC team if they are in the mix with the Myrtle Beach bowl.
It’s a little thing and I would certainly go to Myrtle for a bowl game but I don’t want to play a bowl game on that turf. It would be like playing with another teams logo in the middle of the field. Truth is they should have a real grass field. Bermuda grass does great in that area. With all the golf courses in Myrtle Beach, Coastal should have a turf management degree and they should proudly grow all of their sports fields.
I vote for a hybrid turf of Kentucky Bluegrass, a featherbed bent, and Northern California sinsemillia.
Come on man, have a little pride. We don’t need to import anything from California. The Carolinas can grow that last one as good as anybody. All joking aside, just as soon as it’s legal App. will have a degree in growing pot.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat May 30, 2020 3:14 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:42 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:35 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:03 am
AppState89 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:36 am
AppGrad78 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:37 pm
https://goccusports.com/common/controls ... tadium.png

Never been a fan of Myrtle Beach, but Brooks Stadium is a first-rate facility that seats 21,000. I’m guessing a majority (or at least a plurality) of App fans would be thrilled to spend a bowl weekend there in December.
100% would want to be there. We will pack the stadium and the travel will be short and cost a lot less than New Orleans. I'd be fine going there each year and beating an AAC team if they are in the mix with the Myrtle Beach bowl.
It’s a little thing and I would certainly go to Myrtle for a bowl game but I don’t want to play a bowl game on that turf. It would be like playing with another teams logo in the middle of the field. Truth is they should have a real grass field. Bermuda grass does great in that area. With all the golf courses in Myrtle Beach, Coastal should have a turf management degree and they should proudly grow all of their sports fields.
I vote for a hybrid turf of Kentucky Bluegrass, a featherbed bent, and Northern California sinsemillia.
Come on man, have a little pride. We don’t need to import anything from California. The Carolinas can grow that last one as good as anybody. All joking aside, just as soon as it’s legal App. will have a degree in growing pot.
Cannonball!!!
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:51 am

kornegaylw wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:42 pm
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:31 am
I'd like to hit Boca Raton, Cure Bowl, and Myrtle Beach once each.

Long-term, we need bowl tie-ins in:
––Charlotte
––Atlanta
––D.C.
––Charleston SC.
If David Tepper & Dan Synder can get the domed stadiums they want 2 bowls in DC/Charlotte/Atlanta would be better for everyone than bowls in Mobile & Montgomery.
No to a dome in Charlotte

No to a new stadium paid for my the city and state.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun May 31, 2020 10:19 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:51 am
kornegaylw wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:

––Charlotte
––Atlanta
––D.C.
––Charleston SC.
If David Tepper & Dan Synder can get the domed stadiums they want 2 bowls in DC/Charlotte/Atlanta would be better for everyone than bowls in Mobile & Montgomery.

A retractable dome gets the city a Super Bowl and Final Fours. When they replace BOA (down the road), it will be a dome.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun May 31, 2020 10:54 am

AppinVA wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:19 am
Saint3333 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:

––Charlotte
––Atlanta
––D.C.
––Charleston SC.

A retractable dome gets the city a Super Bowl and Final Fours. When they replace BOA (down the road), it will be a dome.
Don’t forget the ACC tourney.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun May 31, 2020 11:24 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:54 am
AppinVA wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:

––Charlotte
––Atlanta
––D.C.
––Charleston SC.

For sure. The ACC misses the old, new Coliseum.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun May 31, 2020 12:33 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:24 am
AppSt94 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

Huh? The ACC tourney isn’t held in football stadiums. And it was just in Charlotte last year.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun May 31, 2020 12:42 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:33 pm
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Huh? The ACC tourney isn’t held in football stadiums. And it was just in Charlotte last year.
It has been held in domes before. And having one in the heart of ACC territory would go over well, like when they had a 25,000 seat coliseum to use — that wasn’t in Greensboro.

I feel dirty talking ACC basketball, so I’ll focus on Final Fours and Super Bowls.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun May 31, 2020 1:16 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:42 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

It has been held in domes before. And having one in the heart of ACC territory would go over well, like when they had a 25,000 seat coliseum to use — that wasn’t in Greensboro.

I feel dirty talking ACC basketball, so I’ll focus on Final Fours and Super Bowls.
Fair point not to sidetrack, but for the record, it's been held at a dome twice in history (the Georgia Dome), with no future plans to do so at the moment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC_Men%2 ... ent#Venues

Conference tourneys simply don't need that large a venue, plus from everything I've heard the sightlines for basketball are usually terrible. Spectrum Center is a really nice modern basketball arena, I expect the ACC will be back there before too long.

But you're right, the Super Bowl and FF are the bigger deals here. I just wish they'd put a retractable dome on the 25 year old stadium they have. But I'm sure taxpayers, as usual, will be forced to pay the bill or lose the team.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun May 31, 2020 1:18 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:16 pm
AppinVA wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Fair point not to sidetrack, but for the record, it's been held at a dome twice in history (the Georgia Dome), with no future plans to do so at the moment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC_Men%2 ... ent#Venues

Conference tourneys simply don't need that large a venue, plus from everything I've heard the sightlines for basketball are usually terrible. Spectrum Center is a really nice modern basketball arena, I expect the ACC will be back there before too long.

But you're right, the Super Bowl and FF are the bigger deals here. I just wish they'd put a retractable dome on the 25 year old stadium they have. But I'm sure taxpayers, as usual, will be forced to pay the bill or lose the team.
One thing I wouldn’t want to do is tear down BOA until it outlives its usefulness. Since it was built along the lines of Arrowhead, that might not be for a long time.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Sun May 31, 2020 2:53 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:18 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

One thing I wouldn’t want to do is tear down BOA until it outlives its usefulness. Since it was built along the lines of Arrowhead, that might not be for a long time.
I get what you're saying but Arrowhead "means something" to the Hunts and KC...whereas, BofA means very little (in the grand scheme of history) to Tepper and CLT.

If BofA Stadium is still hosting NFL football 10 years from now, it'll look entirely different (think along the lines of the reno of old Soldier Field to current Soldier Field) and it will most definitely have a retractable roof. Still, I highly doubt that stadium is standing 10 years from now...I'd put good money on the fact that it isn't. I believe the groundwork has already been laid behind the scenes and Tepper building a new stadium on the Carolina Pipe & Foundry land across 277 is basically a done deal. The only thing left to figure out is paperwork, logistics, and just how much Char-Meck taxpayers will be on the hook. The current Pandemic and all the accompanying ramifications are just putting a halt to things at the Public/PR level. Tepper WILL host a Super Bowl/Final Four and year-round mega concerts and he won't stop until he one-ups Blank and ATL, somehow. He has said as much. At the end of the day, it'll get worked out and the Panthers will be playing in a new stadium by the end of the decade.

I will also say that a stadium might very well still be on the site of the current Panthers stadium at the end of the day. It'll just be in the form of a 20,000/25,000 seat soccer-specific stadium atop a massive redevelopment of the BofA stadium footprint in the form of a large Panthers-controlled parking structure (attached to the new stadium across 277 via pedestrian walkways) and also possibly having a new tower (residential and/or office) or two atop the structure as well.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun May 31, 2020 3:04 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:53 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:18 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

I get what you're saying but Arrowhead "means something" to the Hunts and KC...whereas, BofA means very little (in the grand scheme of history) to Tepper and CLT.

If BofA Stadium is still hosting NFL football 10 years from now, it'll look entirely different (think along the lines of the reno of old Soldier Field to current Soldier Field) and it will most definitely have a retractable roof. Still, I highly doubt that stadium is standing 10 years from now...I'd put good money on the fact that it isn't. I believe the groundwork has already been laid behind the scenes and Tepper building a new stadium on the Carolina Pipe & Foundry land across 277 is basically a done deal. The only thing left to figure out is paperwork, logistics, and just how much Char-Meck taxpayers will be on the hook. The current Pandemic and all the accompanying ramifications are just putting a halt to things at the Public/PR level. Tepper WILL host a Super Bowl/Final Four and year-round mega concerts and he won't stop until he one-ups Blank and ATL, somehow. He has said as much. At the end of the day, it'll get worked out and the Panthers will be playing in a new stadium by the end of the decade.

I will also say that a stadium might very well still be on the site of the current Panthers stadium at the end of the day. It'll just be in the form of a 20,000/25,000 seat soccer-specific stadium atop a massive redevelopment of the BofA stadium footprint in the form of a large Panthers-controlled parking structure (attached to the new stadium across 277 via pedestrian walkways) and also possibly having a new tower (residential and/or office) or two atop the structure as well.
Interesting. Anything that beats Atlanta is worthy in my book.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sun May 31, 2020 3:36 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:04 pm
Translate that to Latin and stitch it onto the Charlotte flag. It’s the whole city’s aim - be slightly better than Atlanta.
Give 'em hell!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun May 31, 2020 3:40 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:36 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:04 pm
Translate that to Latin and stitch it onto the Charlotte flag. It’s the whole city’s aim - be slightly better than Atlanta.
Leviter melius quam Atlanta

I like it!

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:04 am

Saint3333 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:

––Charlotte
––Atlanta
––D.C.
––Charleston SC.

uh...wow...wow

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:21 am

Football in the south shouldn't be played in a dome. The city of Charlotte and state of NC shouldn't be taxed to build a stadium owned by the franchise. Tepper has $11B to spend and studies don't conclude stadiums bring in additional revenue to the city. Certainly not incremental to the current revenue base BOA stadium does.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:47 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:21 am
Football in the south shouldn't be played in a dome. The city of Charlotte and state of NC shouldn't be taxed to build a stadium owned by the franchise. Tepper has $11B to spend and studies don't conclude stadiums bring in additional revenue to the city. Certainly not incremental to the current revenue base BOA stadium does.
Billionaires should pay for their stadiums and football outside is how it should be played.

But on this level it only makes sense to have a dome to host the Superbowl, multiple bowl games a year, concerts year round, the NFL draft, NCAA tournament...

Love it or hate it but it will be a dome.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm

Oh I know how this plays out and I disagree with the practice, Tepper shakes down the city to pay for his stadium increasing the value of the team he owns (after he moved the team HQ to SC nonetheless).

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:48 am

Just go retractable roof stadium. Superbowl covered if they do not want to play in the snow or rain....loved the Bills game a few years ago..that was some serious snow.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:03 pm

Bowl Games....back on message.
I hope we have a G5 1 vs G5 1. I don't care which G5 but I want to own two conferences. The Sunbelt and whichever G5 number 1 Espn wants us to play. If it is the MWC I hope they meet us half way in Texas. If the date was right (Not Christmas) I would love to go to San Francisco or San Diego or Vegas in January or Early December.

FBS has been good to us. Having the extra Scholarships has allowed us to hang in the 4th quarter where we used to fade. I LOVE our OOC and as I said in a different thread they are our bowl game against p5's. The G5 really need to negotiate as one with ESPN.

Go Apps...It is great to be a mountaineer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”