Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NEZ Update Query

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

NEZ Update Query

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:27 pm

Did we ever get the low-down on the supports under the seats of the NEZ project? Are the supports temp support or did something indeed not get done correctly and something will be needed to prevent a major disaster going forward?

I received the new issue of the YC newsletter and that was on the cover?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: NEZ Update Query

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:42 pm

Why is there a question mark where there should be a full stop? I am leaving the typo and making that my post as it is more interesting.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:50 pm

I have nothing to add except...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m9F0YFzWojI
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:16 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:50 pm

These three movies are on Netflix right now and I am not going to admit the number of times I have played them lately.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:21 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:16 pm
AppinVA wrote:

These three movies are on Netflix right now and I am not going to admit the number of times I have played them lately.
I might be the only person in America who doesn’t have Netflix, and until now I’ve had little desire to sign up. That might change.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:21 pm
AppinVA wrote:

I might be the only person in America who doesn’t have Netflix, and until now I’ve had little desire to sign up. That might change.
Get a free trial and watch them. Airplane may be on there as well. I know Naked Gun is on there. (At least as of the other day. Being 1st of the month some movies may be dropping off their list.)

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:59 pm

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:21 pm
AppinVA wrote:

Get a free trial and watch them. Airplane may be on there as well. I know Naked Gun is on there. (At least as of the other day. Being 1st of the month some movies may be dropping off their list.)
I’m sure I have them on DVD, but I might have to do that. I’m not as lazy as a chestnut, after all.

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:51 am

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:27 pm
Did we ever get the low-down on the supports under the seats of the NEZ project? Are the supports temp support or did something indeed not get done correctly and something will be needed to prevent a major disaster going forward?

https://appstatesports.com/news/2020/4/ ... -2020.aspx

Q: Can you give an update on the north end zone project and what it will look like when completed, especially the field side and the columns that are currently in place?

If you go to our Mountaineer Impact website and visit the end zone project page by clicking HERE, we have a live feed that provides a real-time look at the construction via an on-site web camera.

The metal supports you currently see in the end zone are not the final product. They are temporary supports deployed during construction.

Within the next few months, structural columns will be added under the cantilevered stadium seating to provide permanent support. Adding these supports now will enable the potential addition of an awning in the future and fits nicely with our long-range plans to link the east and west sides of the stadium.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:12 am

JPatH3292 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:51 am

Q: Can you give an update on the north end zone project and what it will look like when completed, especially the field side and the columns that are currently in place?

If you go to our Mountaineer Impact website and visit the end zone project page by clicking HERE, we have a live feed that provides a real-time look at the construction via an on-site web camera.

The metal supports you currently see in the end zone are not the final product. They are temporary supports deployed during construction.

Within the next few months, structural columns will be added under the cantilevered stadium seating to provide permanent support. Adding these supports now will enable the potential addition of an awning in the future and fits nicely with our long-range plans to link the east and west sides of the stadium.
Now that I read this I remember reading at the time as well. So my next question. They are going to replace the current columns with better looking columns. Was that truly the original plan? I know architectural renderings are not always what one gets but is this in response to a major mistake made somewhere between blueprints and building?

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:37 am

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:12 am
They are going to replace the current columns with better looking columns. Was that truly the original plan? I know architectural renderings are not always what one gets but is this in response to a major mistake made somewhere between blueprints and building?
" Adding these supports now will enable the potential addition of an awning in the future"

I think this is what changed regarding the plans. Originally, they didn't address adding an awning.

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:43 am

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:12 am
JPatH3292 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:51 am

Now that I read this I remember reading at the time as well. So my next question. They are going to replace the current columns with better looking columns. Was that truly the original plan? I know architectural renderings are not always what one gets but is this in response to a major mistake made somewhere between blueprints and building?
Not sure if we will ever know that (unless someone has some inside info on the construction) but I don’t think the whole field level patio space was in the cards from the beginning. From the renderings they proved early on (and are still available on mountaineer impact and campus construction updates site), it seems a lower level of stadium seating was in the works before that was scraped for the field patio.
I’m not sure how adding the permanent columns “fits nicely” with linking the East and west stands in the future but I’m interested to see what they plan when it comes to it. I was always under the impression the link was going to connect on the sides of the building and go around the back side of the facility (ie why there is all of that open walking space on the back side of the facility)

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:06 pm

I could see the columns being needed to support a catwalk and if I was sitting in the seats I would prefer the columns but that is just me. I think you are right in that we may never know the true backstory or we have the actual story and we are just looking for a conspiracy that is not there involving the columns.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:44 am

who cares? They are obviously needed, otherwise, they wouldn't be there.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:20 am

The additional support is need in case we later decide to add a track around the field, they can carve out space beneath the overhang to complete the loop.

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:38 am

Well the columns were never shown in renderings or discussed beforehand so it’s a valid question to try to better understand what the final product of this exiting new addition to the facility will look like. I know some were quite confused in the other NEZ thread about those temporary columns when they first went up.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:49 am

Given the weight of all that concrete it has to load bearing/safety related. I'm sure they will be sided with brick and look nice when done.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:51 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:44 am
who cares? They are obviously needed, otherwise, they wouldn't be there.
I think it is important to have some information on the change. I am fine with it, in fact I like it, especially with a future connection to each side of the stadium. But I am also curious. YC felt it important enough to have a picture on the recent newsletter's front page. That is what got me thinking.

I don't expect an official channel to come and say, "There was a huge mistake in construction so now we have..." but I think having backdoor communication is also fine as well for something like this. If there was a major mistake made (and I am not suggesting there was, just to be clear) then a certain level of transparency is needed. The building is there due to donations and that should not come with policy making power but I do think it behooves any organization that lives off donors to be clear about things. Generally App is transparent so I thought I may have missed something.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:00 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:49 am
Given the weight of all that concrete it has to load bearing/safety related. I'm sure they will be sided with brick and look nice when done.
I imagine it will look a lot like the brickwork on a smaller scale that supports the SEZ display board. And that will look nice. I will not be sitting there but if I was I would prefer a bit of support. If the wine and cheese crowd are in those seats it may stay rather calm during the game but the last time I sat in the NEZ was against GaSo a few years ago and we had a defensive hold in that end zone to win the game. I am sure the crowd there helped. I would not want the fans in those seats to be thinking, "Should be be jumping up and down?" when it is needed.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:25 am

I would 100% rather have too much support than too little support. The thought of having an incident like the bridge at Charlotte Speedway send shivers down my spine, especially considering there is an open patio right below those seats that I'm sure will be crowded.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:58 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:25 am
I would 100% rather have too much support than too little support. The thought of having an incident like the bridge at Charlotte Speedway send shivers down my spine, especially considering there is an open patio right below those seats that I'm sure will be crowded.
I always think of this when I hear about catwalks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Reg ... y_collapse

The AP Physics book used in my class when I first started teaching was from 1990 at the time so the Hyatt was fairly recent then and used the Hyatt as an example in static equilibrium.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”