Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NEZ Update Query

YOSEFRULES
School: Appalachian State

Re: NEZ Update Query

Unread post by YOSEFRULES » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:07 pm

If the columns were planned all along there would have been large Concrete footings poured when the rest of the footings for the building were poured. I don’t recall them being poured but I could be wrong. Most likely plans/ideas changed and the columns were added. Me personally, the building is a little boring looking and if done properly the columns will help the aesthetics of the building

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:05 pm

It’s pretty much impossible that this was some kind of engineering or construction mistake, IMO.

The final renderings showed no covering or supports on the stands so clearly that was the initial plan. I think our admin changed its mind after construction had already started. They realized that no one wants luxury seating exposed to the elements in Boone, so they decided to add a covering over the seats which made the engineers and architects have to improvise, thus the new supports, which wouldn’t have been needed if our admin didn’t change plans.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Seems like we have the answers I was asking about. Good work everyone.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppStMike201

Unread post by AppStMike201 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:26 pm

Ok...I have to step in here because I'm reading a bunch of uneducated guesses at the reason for the shoring towers (or columns if you will). The company I work for was called in a couple months ago to add shoring under the cantilevered seating section due to the load it was imposing on the structure, thus causing some failures in the concrete that could've become worse over time. It was an oversight made by either the architect or the engineer, and the responsible party owned up to it. The crazy part is that those shoring towers were installed and then they jacked up the seats a half inch back to their correct elevation. I have a video of the load being transferred back to the steel plates on top of the shoring tower that ultimately squeezed water out of the steel plates (crazy thing to see). It's my understanding they are still working on the details for the permanent columns, but the ones you see on the live feed are TEMPORARY. That is all the information I have and I hope it can clear up some of the rumors floating around. Oh yeah, one last thing...those shoring towers can hold up to 165 kips per leg so that should give you an idea of the weight we're supporting!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:39 pm

AppStMike201 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:26 pm
Ok...I have to step in here because I'm reading a bunch of uneducated guesses at the reason for the shoring towers (or columns if you will). The company I work for was called in a couple months ago to add shoring under the cantilevered seating section due to the load it was imposing on the structure, thus causing some failures in the concrete that could've become worse over time. It was an oversight made by either the architect or the engineer, and the responsible party owned up to it. The crazy part is that those shoring towers were installed and then they jacked up the seats a half inch back to their correct elevation. I have a video of the load being transferred back to the steel plates on top of the shoring tower that ultimately squeezed water out of the steel plates (crazy thing to see). It's my understanding they are still working on the details for the permanent columns, but the ones you see on the live feed are TEMPORARY. That is all the information I have and I hope it can clear up some of the rumors floating around. Oh yeah, one last thing...those shoring towers can hold up to 165 kips per leg so that should give you an idea of the weight we're supporting!
So, this was the first building like this the architect or the engineer has designed. Gotta love low-bid states.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:30 pm

Why are engineered in this country still using imperial units? Kip's, come on. As a physics major I just find that both strange and irritating at the same time.

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:11 am

Kip's. I'm showing my ignorance here. "Kip/square inch is a unit of pressure equal to about 6894757.28 pascals and symbol is kip/in². Plural name is kips per square inch." Now that clears it right up. :roll: :shock: But seriously, I have wondered from the time the supports were put up why there wasn't any ground supports.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:53 am

Does that mean people who have purchased seats there need to go on a diet?
Bring Your A Game!

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:44 am

AppStMike201 wrote:
Hmm so could this be a reason why they decided against installing that lower level seating under the current cantilevered seating section? As was laid out in the drawings and sketches. Once they realized they needed to install pillars for support, it made no sense to put in searing that would be blocking field fields.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:08 pm

JPatH3292 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:44 am
AppStMike201 wrote:
Hmm so could this be a reason why they decided against installing that lower level seating under the current cantilevered seating section? As was laid out in the drawings and sketches. Once they realized they needed to install pillars for support, it made no sense to put in searing that would be blocking field fields.
That lower level seating under the current cantilevered seating section was simply a pipe dream. It was never, ever going to happen. (1) The uber-poor sight lines to the playing field would never sell; and (2) such a thing would never pass inspection because of the aforementioned weight loads.

If you've ever been to Chicago, it would be the rough equivalent of building a bar and restaurant by walling in a section of track under an elevated train trestle. It isn't done for obvious reasons.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Mountaineers89

Unread post by Mountaineers89 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:24 pm

asu66 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:08 pm
JPatH3292 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:44 am
AppStMike201 wrote:
That lower level seating under the current cantilevered seating section was simply a pipe dream. It was never, ever going to happen. (1) The uber-poor sight lines to the playing field would never sell; and (2) such a thing would never pass inspection because of the aforementioned weight loads.

If you've ever been to Chicago, it would be the rough equivalent of building a bar and restaurant by walling in a section of track under an elevated train trestle. It isn't done for obvious reasons.
Could the lower seating not extend from the columns down to field level? The area under the current seating would be the concourse and connect to east and west stands.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:12 pm

ASU84 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:11 am
Kip's. I'm showing my ignorance here. "Kip/square inch is a unit of pressure equal to about 6894757.28 pascals and symbol is kip/in². Plural name is kips per square inch." Now that clears it right up. :roll: :shock: But seriously, I have wondered from the time the supports were put up why there wasn't any ground supports.
Kips is a 1000 pounds-force so Kip/sq inch would be pressure since it is force/area.

I just wish we would convert 100% to metric and be done with it. I'll not derail the thread more but I could go on.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:30 am

The columns are because the track removal and hill regrading bids came in under expected budget. This was obviously well before COVID so the money was there. They decided to go ahead and add the columns now for the future addition of connecting the two sides since it still remained in the total overall budget.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:43 am

Anyone know when the turf replacement will start? I’m assuming that’s still happening this off-season. GO APPS!!

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:51 am

appstate24 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:43 am
Anyone know when the turf replacement will start? I’m assuming that’s still happening this off-season. GO APPS!!
TODAY! I'm needing a big chunk to carpet the man cave, and I'm wanting to make sure and get either a good bit of the block A at midfield or turf from along the goal line...and with it being such a nice day today I figure no better time than now to help jumpstart the replacement. I'll be headed up momentarily ;)

teaasu76

Unread post by teaasu76 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:02 pm

Was in Boone today went by the stadium around 3 pm and they were just staring to cut the seams in the south endzone to remove the turf.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:20 am

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!

PhillyApp

Unread post by PhillyApp » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:35 pm

Glad to hear this is moving forward. Anyone sniffed any chatter around the design/look?
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:13 pm

Can we get a NEZ roll call? My wife and I have officially put our money where my mouth is and upgraded to section 308. Anyone else?

Side note: it is with a heavy heart that we leave 111: the greatest and rowdiest fully outdoor non-student section in KBS. We will truly miss sitting with the friends we made in our row.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:20 pm

PhillyApp wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:35 pm
Glad to hear this is moving forward. Anyone sniffed any chatter around the design/look?
I wish they would do a webcam for the turf progress too.

As far as design, I really like the end zones the New Orleans Bowl has used for us. Only change I would make is the end zones have to be black. GO APPS!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”