Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Turf Replacement Pics

Yosef84

Re: Turf Replacement Pics

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:14 pm

Love seeing this kind of support from Coach Kerns! He is really meshing well into the fabric of App State Athletics from what I have seen. It's good for his basketball recruits to see these pics also because it helps them see the potential for App State basketball!

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:44 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:14 pm
Love seeing this kind of support from Coach Kerns! He is really meshing well into the fabric of App State Athletics from what I have seen. It's good for his basketball recruits to see these pics also because it helps them see the potential for App State basketball!
Agreed, we had several basketball players sitting behind us at the App. St./UNC football game. Although early in the coach/player relationship, the guys were very complimentary of Coach Kerns.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:34 pm

7/21/20 7:30 P.M.

More grading of the hill.
C527C496-B802-4B91-B32E-6FF62C5BF004.jpeg
C527C496-B802-4B91-B32E-6FF62C5BF004.jpeg (30.04 KiB) Viewed 5713 times

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:37 am

MAD Doctor wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:34 pm
7/21/20 7:30 P.M.

More grading of the hill.
C527C496-B802-4B91-B32E-6FF62C5BF004.jpeg
I was up there Sunday, the hill is going to be much better from a fan perspective. I really hope they are planning to turf the hill as well. So much less maintenance, and with our weather, it makes sense.

Also, the turf on the field!! It looks incredible. Pictures, even those amazing pictures by Nelson Aerials, don’t do it justice. The field itself is the best looking field I’ve ever seen. The alternating green is VERY sharp, and the black and gold pops big time. It looks awesome.

GO APPS!!

appst1979

Unread post by appst1979 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:57 am

I guess it was not practical, but would it have been possible to recycle the old field turf and use it to "astroturf" Miller Hill?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:15 am

Would you want to sit on AstroTurf for an afternoon game? I imagine that it is incredibly hot.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:21 am

appst1979 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:57 am
I guess it was not practical, but would it have been possible to recycle the old field turf and use it to "astroturf" Miller Hill?
I think Doug said that the old turf was being sent to a company that makes souvenirs out of the old turf that fans can purchase. The athletic department would get some amount of the proceeds.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:41 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:15 am
Would you want to sit on AstroTurf for an afternoon game? I imagine that it is incredibly hot.
I don’t sit in the hill, and you are right that turf can get super hot. However, I think I would prefer it to a wet muddy behind.

GO APPS!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:52 am

More pics please.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppChiro2015

Unread post by AppChiro2015 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:21 pm

Does anyone know if the gameusedturf.com stuff is legitimate? Or has anyone purchased from there? I’ve seen that the athletic department is wanting to partner with them especially to get part of the proceeds. If so, I’d wait to purchase since at least some portion could go to the athletic department.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:28 pm

AppChiro2015 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:21 pm
Does anyone know if the gameusedturf.com stuff is legitimate? Or has anyone purchased from there? I’ve seen that the athletic department is wanting to partner with them especially to get part of the proceeds. If so, I’d wait to purchase since at least some portion could go to the athletic department.
According to social media, we contracted with them to sell it, so it should be legit.
Give 'em hell!

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:34 pm

AppChiro2015 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:21 pm
I got a 6x6 square from them. It's legit.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

AppChiro2015

Unread post by AppChiro2015 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:55 pm

Awesome. Thanks guys

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:28 pm

I just ordered one gold and one black. I will match well with a brick I have from Owens.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:36 pm

How I got my Owens brick:

My school's PTA gave a bit of money for a charter bus for students to visit Boone and tour the campus in the spring of 2019.

A lot of juniors were going though I had mostly 9th graders that semester, but a few 10th and 9th graders as well. I suggested I should also go on this trip since I knew the campus. Our counselor agreed.

I talked her into letting me drive myself so I could get up to Boone 10 minutes early and then I could more easily help with bus parking and getting the students to John Thomas Hall where the tour started. Part of that was also so I could stay behind as this was also the same day of the ladies WBI championship game, and I could have dinner with my daughter for a two-fer. After the tour a few students wanted to visit KBS so I told them I would walk them that way instead of giving them time in the student store with their classmates. Sure enough there just happened to be a construction worker near that side and I had a chance to ask for a couple bricks and they were nice enough to grab me two. So I kept one brick and gave one to my daughter.

I walked the students back to the bus and sent them back to Greensboro. I stayed behind and watched the ladies win their second WBI. Everything just worked out perfectly that day and none of it was really planned by me except inviting my daughter up to Boone after she was done teaching for the day.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:44 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:36 pm

My school's PTA gave a bit of money for a charter bus for students to visit Boone and tour the campus in the spring of 2019.

A lot of juniors were going though I had mostly 9th graders that semester, but a few 10th and 9th graders as well. I suggested I should also go on this trip since I knew the campus. Our counselor agreed.

I talked her into letting me drive myself so I could get up to Boone 10 minutes early and then I could more easily help with bus parking and getting the students to John Thomas Hall where the tour started. Part of that was also so I could stay behind as this was also the same day of the ladies WBI championship game, and I could have dinner with my daughter for a two-fer. After the tour a few students wanted to visit KBS so I told them I would walk them that way instead of giving them time in the student store with their classmates. Sure enough there just happened to be a construction worker near that side and I had a chance to ask for a couple bricks and they were nice enough to grab me two. So I kept one brick and gave one to my daughter.

I walked the students back to the bus and sent them back to Greensboro. I stayed behind and watched the ladies win their second WBI. Everything just worked out perfectly that day and none of it was really planned by me except inviting my daughter up to Boone after she was done teaching for the day.
I was up there that day (went to the game and I caught a couple innings of the softball game as well) and I remember seeing a group of kids touring the campus. I kept running across them as I walked to get in my steps. Too many kids and too few parents to be a regular perspective student group. I bet it was your group. Wish I had known.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:23 am

AppinVA wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:44 pm

I was up there that day (went to the game and I caught a couple innings of the softball game as well) and I remember seeing a group of kids touring the campus. I kept running across them as I walked to get in my steps. Too many kids and too few parents to be a regular perspective student group. I bet it was your group. Wish I had known.
There were a few smaller family tours checking in it seems but I think we were the only large group that day. It was well done. We went from John Thomas Hall to some meeting rooms in Plemmons and had lunch in Central Dining. The tour guides did a good job walking backwards and talking.

I doubt we go back to App for a few years as we are trying to work in a variety of, mostly, public universities around the state so Charlotte and maybe ECU getting worked in along with some visits to the Triangle schools. For the distance I doubt we go to WCU but UNC-P or Fayetteville State would be good trips for our student population, and that is not a part of the state I get to often myself.

Our supper PTA president had her son graduate in the spring and her rising freshman daughter is opting for a different magnet school. These trips may dry up for that reason and certainly I see fund-raising being harder to do, not even counting for social distancing, with unemployment being what it is.

It would have been nice to meet up. After the bus left to take the students back to Greensboro I had some time to kill.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:06 am

Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:23 am
AppinVA wrote:

There were a few smaller family tours checking in it seems but I think we were the only large group that day. It was well done. We went from John Thomas Hall to some meeting rooms in Plemmons and had lunch in Central Dining. The tour guides did a good job walking backwards and talking.

I doubt we go back to App for a few years as we are trying to work in a variety of, mostly, public universities around the state so Charlotte and maybe ECU getting worked in along with some visits to the Triangle schools. For the distance I doubt we go to WCU but UNC-P or Fayetteville State would be good trips for our student population, and that is not a part of the state I get to often myself.

Our supper PTA president had her son graduate in the spring and her rising freshman daughter is opting for a different magnet school. These trips may dry up for that reason and certainly I see fund-raising being harder to do, not even counting for social distancing, with unemployment being what it is.

It would have been nice to meet up. After the bus left to take the students back to Greensboro I had some time to kill.
Of course, we have to get back in school and THEN get the green flag for field trips. One of the greatest joys of teaching is seeing a student on a field trip like that figuring out that higher education is possible, and yes, they can do this.

Agreed. It would have been nice. The trip was a spur of the moment thing, partly for a meeting with admissions to see if we could get my daughter’s tuition to a more manageable level. Long story short, she’s at VCU.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:53 am

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:06 am
AppinVA wrote:

Of course, we have to get back in school and THEN get the green flag for field trips. One of the greatest joys of teaching is seeing a student on a field trip like that figuring out that higher education is possible, and yes, they can do this.

Agreed. It would have been nice. The trip was a spur of the moment thing, partly for a meeting with admissions to see if we could get my daughter’s tuition to a more manageable level. Long story short, she’s at VCU.
Our twins are rising seniors at Meredith and Davidson. Both presented well enough for very good scholarships at both of these schools but with the small foundation at App there were not in the running for scholarships at App that would have made that a cheaper option than either of the two privates (which is very telling about the amount of money App has to give.) The one at Davidson wanted a small school so Davidson is what she really wanted. The one at Meredith wanted international travel and is getting that but she really did want football, and nothing against Meredith, but even Davidson football could take down Meredith football. The Meredith daughter is hoping to find a one year Advanced Standing Master in Social Work in her area AND a school with football. She also attended the two years at Sci and Math in Durham so no football there.

I know this board is mostly about athletics at App (and lately politics in the country) but I always like to make a push to give to the broader Appalachian Fund and not solely to the Yosef Club. App lost two VERY good students in my twins and I am sure there are others out there in the same situation that are just as and even more deserving than my twins.Due to the lack of scholarship dollars for our oldest daughter that attended App I will be paying off some parent loans into the foreseeable future and until that is paid off the Yosef Club will be getting a much smaller donation from me (and the Appalachian Fund will as well, though I always make sure to give more to the Appalachian Fund than YC as a deliberate action on my part.) I gave some to both pots of money at App but not as much as I would like.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:57 am

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:06 am
AppinVA wrote:

My school is a health care magnet. It would have been nice to get over to that building even though it is a problem with logistics being away from the main campus.

I assume for a small group that could be arranged if requested.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”