Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

First post

Scipio
School: USC

First post

Unread post by Scipio » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:49 pm

USC(the real USC) Trojan fan here with a few questions. You guys certainly play an exciting brand of football and after beating two Power 5 conference teams last year people are taking you seriously. In the past you have been expected to win one big game per year recently, but now it seems you are over that one big upset a year hump. I have a few questions. As an outside observer how do you keep losing coaches (Satterfield at Louisville, Dirk wins and leaves, the backup (don't know his name) wins against UAB. Then there was the old guy years ago (sorry don't remember his name) who shocked the world at Michigan and he was replaced apparently with out a beat. How do you do that? We lost Pete Carroll 10 years ago and our program gets worse with every new coach! Another question, I watched two of your games last year, Ga Southern and UAB. Do you guys just wait to get behind before you play lights out? Final question, don't get mad at me. The offense is exciting, scheme wise multifaceted, talent (#3 is fun to watch), good receivers, QB that can get hot (and cold), OL blocks well, overall solid. DL looks solid and gets a good rush from both the middle and the ends. Now is it me or are you guys weak at the corners? In the two games I watched both teams lived off passes to the flats and their seemed to be no adjustments. Also tackling in the secondary seemed suspect. Having said all that, I wished USC would be playing as well as you do overall. You are certainly a more complete and exciting team to watch than we are now. Have a great season, and I will be watching more of your games.

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

Re: First post

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:03 pm

Scipio wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:49 pm
USC(the real USC) Trojan fan here with a few questions. You guys certainly play an exciting brand of football and after beating two Power 5 conference teams last year people are taking you seriously. In the past you have been expected to win one big game per year recently, but now it seems you are over that one big upset a year hump. I have a few questions. As an outside observer how do you keep losing coaches (Satterfield at Louisville, Dirk wins and leaves, the backup (don't know his name) wins against UAB. Then there was the old guy years ago (sorry don't remember his name) who shocked the world at Michigan and he was replaced apparently with out a beat. How do you do that? We lost Pete Carroll 10 years ago and our program gets worse with every new coach! Another question, I watched two of your games last year, Ga Southern and UAB. Do you guys just wait to get behind before you play lights out? Final question, don't get mad at me. The offense is exciting, scheme wise multifaceted, talent (#3 is fun to watch), good receivers, QB that can get hot (and cold), OL blocks well, overall solid. DL looks solid and gets a good rush from both the middle and the ends. Now is it me or are you guys weak at the corners? In the two games I watched both teams lived off passes to the flats and their seemed to be no adjustments. Also tackling in the secondary seemed suspect. Having said all that, I wished USC would be playing as well as you do overall. You are certainly a more complete and exciting team to watch than we are now. Have a great season, and I will be watching more of your games.
Welcome to the board. That’s a lot to unpack.

1. Coaching. I’m not sure we replaced the old guy (Jerry Moore) without a beat, but the jury is still out on why we’ve had seamless transitions. A lot of it has to due with culture, having a decent farm of up and coming App assistant coaches to pull from and maybe some luck.

2. Playing from behind. No, those were anomalies last year. If anything, we usually get a good lead and then let someone hang around and scare us all. Examples from last year include UNC, USC (the fake one), UNCC, Louisiana in the SBC title.

3. Corners. I’d argue we have stellar corners. In fact they are usually one of our strengths on defense. That said, we do tend to play soft on the edges, to me that suggests a coaching strategy more than a lack of talent. If I recall, we got torched on the edges by Miami because of that.

Thanks for the compliments. I’m glad we are making noise nationally. Would love to see USC in the LA Coliseum for a game.
YNWA

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:10 pm

And current guy is Shawn Clark.

UAB was bad early for the secondary. But Jolly ( the defense #3) is 2nd team preseason All American in one publication so far that I know of.

And the RB #3 from last year (Evans) went to NFL after junior year last year. Drafted by Titans.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Jolly is 2nd team All-American in Street & Smith and on the 1st Team Walter Camp All-America Team.

https://waltercamp.org/walter-camp-foot ... arcum-llp/

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:26 am

Having a player led team is a major reason for successful coaching transitions. The guys play for each other and hold teammates accountable to a high standard of play.
I think the biggest factor in sustained success starts with jerry Moore. His stability with 20+ years coaching forged solid relationships, and he truly cared about all of his coaches and players and that established the culture of pride in App state. He began to give former players coaching opportunities, who in turn gave other former players opportunities.
Now we have essentially established a brotherhood on the mountain. It’s not just coaching or playing a football team, it’s about being a mountaineer, and being part of a family and being part of something truly special and knowing that we take care of our own.

In addition to bringing several former App football alumni on staff when he was hired, including Shawn Clark our current HC, Satterfield has added quite a few former players to his staff that played under him to let them learn and pursue their coaching careers. When Drinkwitz, last years HC, didn’t retain Nic Cardwell, our former TE and current Oline coach, Satterfield essentially created a position for him at Louisville. I would bet the coach Moore/satterfield coaching tree will be immense in 10 years.
Where coach Moore began the culture and relationship aspect of success, satterfield began the on-field success. He was defacto offensive coordinator during our national championship years in FCS (and during Michigan) then personalized what he wanted to do as HC and the FBS transition. He did so good at it that we now have an identity on both offense and defense that hasn’t changed under 2 different HCs and coordinators. It’s not the most exciting offense in the world, but it works. Being FCS and now G5, we are always battling seemingly bigger programs for recruits, so he used that to his advantage. Take the athletic smaller but faster guy that “big” programs don’t want and develop them into our system that values speed over size.
Rely on a mobile Oline to open holes and get down field and block for speedy backs, then take shots down field when it opens up.
Coach Clark is in his first season as the head coach, and who knows what the results on the field will be, but as a former player and having been on the staff for several years, he understands the culture and has a passion for App. If the verbal recruits so far for our next class is any indication, App is only going to continue to climb in stature over the next several years

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:46 am

Not trying to start an argument or anything, but if you watched the georgia southern game, you'd know they didn't live off the throws to the flats. They threw 4 times. And completed 1.

But generally, yes, the flats are open with our defense. This isn't because the corners are weak though. This is 100% due to the scheme. We keep everything in front and avoid the big play. We'd rather give up 3 yards in the flat than 50 over top.

Also, the flats are rarely open in the red zone due to scheme.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:06 am

And the "old guy" is Jerry Moore. Excellent coach and person, still watches games on the mountain. Brought in the no huddle offense.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:11 am

Would love to play the Trojans. Welcome to the Cabin!

AZAppGrad

Unread post by AZAppGrad » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:43 am

Welcome Trojan. Fight on!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:58 am

Scipio...

As far as coaching transitions go, the old guy was Jerry Moore. He built a positive faith and community based program culture over 20+ years. Think of an old school Dabo Swinney type with less “rah-rah”. His successor Scott Satterfield played under him and worked his way up the coaching ranks at App, so he too was in that system for years. It had a profound effect on him. And he’s just got talent as evidenced by how effective it’s been at Louisville. With Drinkwitz I think we just got lucky on a hot-shot local coordinator that we all *thought* would stick around 3-5 but jumped ship after 1. Jury is still out on Shawn Clark but he too came up in the App system, he’s the same faith based positive minded guy and he’s recruiting his butt off. Last I checked App has a top 50 class for 2021, which if it holds would be 20-40 spots higher than we typically finish.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:16 am

My take on the early games and the defense not being the typical App St defense was due to change in D Coordinator. I was actually on the Fire Ted Roof bandwagon after the first 3 to 4 games. However, he and the combination of a team meeting (from what I understand) changed philosophy a little as the year progressed. I actually became more of a fan of how they played. I attribute the close games after we had a lead due to offense taking foot off the gas pedal and letting teams back into games. I was at Ga, Southern game. Plain and simple, they hit us in the face, pounded us. The offense just did not show up. We had a good combination of run and pass philosophy. As such, we cannot blame the weather for the loss. Although I believe Zach Thomas is arguably the best QB we have ever had or maybe will be if football played this year to add to resume.. However, I do agree that he can be hot and cold like most college QBs at that young age. If you are a fan and in California, share the App St. message and send talent our way. Lived in LAX for 3 years. Had GOAPPST license tag..Got alot of "GOAP" PST..what is that..it was a conversation starter at least..
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Yosef's Musket

Unread post by Yosef's Musket » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:39 am

If I remember right, the UAB QB was not expected to play up until just before the game. I think we may have game-planned for a more run-heavy attack from them that changed when their QB did play and threw the ball everywhere. It took some time to adjust. That in addition to having an interim coach led to the slow start.
2018 Alumnus

#TIGMA

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:12 pm

My take on our success....SATTERFIELD. I think he is underrated but won't be for long. I think you will see Louisville be in the ACC championship game very soon. I also think he will be moving up to a bigger program like USCalifornia as soon as he proves himself at Louisville. Satterfield's spread offense is a thing of beauty when executed correctly. Satterfield was the offensive coordinator when we beat Michigan. He was the offensive coordinator at FIU and he made them competitive in his first season. (I won many bets taking the spread when he was at FIU).

App is a special place. I hope you come visit someday.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:28 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:12 pm
My take on our success....SATTERFIELD. I think he is underrated but won't be for long. I think you will see Louisville be in the ACC championship game very soon. I also think he will be moving up to a bigger program like USCalifornia as soon as he proves himself at Louisville. Satterfield's spread offense is a thing of beauty when executed correctly. Satterfield was the offensive coordinator when we beat Michigan. He was the offensive coordinator at FIU and he made them competitive in his first season. (I won many bets taking the spread when he was at FIU).

Not to take anything away from Satt but I don't see anyone taking down Clemson anytime soon.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:31 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:28 pm
spacemonkey wrote:

Not to take anything away from Satt but I don't see anyone taking down Clemson anytime soon.
To be fair, he said in the championship game, not winning it.
It would be good To have another legitimate contender in the ACC to add a little credibility to it.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:34 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:31 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:28 pm
spacemonkey wrote:

To be fair, he said in the championship game, not winning it.
It would be good To have another legitimate contender in the ACC to add a little credibility to it.
Louisville will have to beat Clemson to get to the championship game.

Scipio
School: USC

Unread post by Scipio » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Wow guys such great info and insight. Dang it, I was looking forward to see #3 play. Does App St have a TV contract or something to see all games? I see what your are saying about the Mountaineer culture and continuity it brings for you and it explains a lot. Similarly, many students at SC are 3rd, 4th, and even 5th generation SC Trojan Family students. My daughter was in a class where 60% of the students were at least second generation, so I know how strong culture can be. BTW You have been kind to not criticize my assessment of App St football based on just two games. Also, sorry I couldn't remember your coaches names. Thank you. Your team's big strike, ground and air, offense was really exciting to watch. You can score from any point of the field thus minimizing maintaining good field position. It even reminded me a bit of the day at SC when Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush could score on any play. Your two games reminded me of that. As far as sending you some 4 and 5 star players, keep doing what you are doing and they will come. But, you need to realize you have your 3 stars playing a lot better than some of our 4 and 5 stars. ah59396 I hope you make it to a game in the Coli, you will never forget it, but come soon because California is disintegrating. I will never return to California. I have seen my last game in the Coli. Unfortunately the football culture at SC has shifted. Because of the disarray in USC football for the last ten years and the worst coach in all of college football, I am considering entering into the Fan Portal! I have narrowed it down (announcement here) to two schools, App St and Georgia. App St because you are fun to watch and I like underdogs. Georgia because our starting QB in 2018, JT Daniels, has transferred to the Bulldogs. As we say at SC, Fight ON!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:57 pm

Scipio,

Welcome to the board. Legit question here. Do you think that the recent demise of USC athletics can be attributed to the lack of experience that two recent ADs brought to the table? Haden and Swann are good guys, but they seemed ill equipped for the job.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:54 pm

All games are on some form of ESPN - mostly ESPN Plus

APPChad90

Unread post by APPChad90 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:02 pm

Scipio, welcome to YC! I too am new to the board but as a ‘90 grad, I’m very well aware of how far our program has come. It’s great to hear the observations of someone outside the program and their want to understand our achievements, especially from as far away as the left coast. Cool and refreshing. The posts before this have done a great job of explaining our culture and the reasons behind it. SC has a tremendous tradition and at this point App can only aspire to achieve what SC has accomplished over many years. Legendary names, games, Championships, Tailback U?! C’mon. Whatever dip you are experiencing will come back for more of the past greatness because of what SC is and represents. You will surely hang in as all great fans do but it’s great to hear of your interest in our program. As far as App goes, I think we all welcome the interest and appreciation from afar and hope it grows. Please
Keep checking us out and spreading the word cause we Give’em Hell!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”