Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

FALL 21 QB?

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: FALL 21 QB?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:22 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:20 pm
Both Huesman and DBG should be able to get on the field vs Morgan State I’d imagine. If I’m Shawn though I would possibly have a conversation with Huesman prior to the year telling him to not be surprised if it’s DBG that gets the nod in most of the mop up time. There’s no game I’ve wanted to win more than that ‘21 ECU game.
I do want to win that ECU game badly but I would say SC and UNC were bigger since they are P5s and both of them have always looked down on us. I expect to beat ECU unless that HS QB they signed is truly the real deal like the buzz and they are ahead of us in that regard. I guess we will see. I do want to win that game extremely bad as well. I feel like putting UNC, SC, Wake Forest, and ECU in their place over a 3 year span would be the sweetest 3 years we have had in the grand scheme of things.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:43 pm

It is interesting that most of you freely assume that DBG is #3. The #3 spot will play itself out over time, but DBG and Shuler have had the same amount of time in Peterson and Clark’s system. I would also add Gibbs and Wilson to the conversation. Ideally, you would like to see both Shuler and DBG get game reps, but I wouldn’t expect much more than vanilla offense while they are out there. You don’t want too much on tape.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:08 pm

I would prefer a platoon system - #2 QB takes snaps with 2nd unit in practice, just put them in as a unit used to working together.
Bring Your A Game!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:43 pm
It is interesting that most of you freely assume that DBG is #3. The #3 spot will play itself out over time, but DBG and Shuler have had the same amount of time in Peterson and Clark’s system. I would also add Gibbs and Wilson to the conversation. Ideally, you would like to see both Shuler and DBG get game reps, but I wouldn’t expect much more than vanilla offense while they are out there. You don’t want too much on tape.
I don't think most are making that assumption but DBG is the highest "rated" of the current backups and seems to have the biggest up-side based on physical attributes. That said, it is my understanding that the spot is open for competition and will be given to the QB who earns it.

Shuler clearly has a great pedigree and he was a solid QB recruit, but he is pretty small and more of a drop back passer. That said, both Taylor Lamb and Zach Taylor were listed as pro-style QBs also but clearly have had the athleticism to maintain a dual threat.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:24 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Probably based on the assumption that the #3 QB will get mop-up duty, at most. You wouldn't burn Shuler's RS for that. Obviously he could still play four games, but those mop-up snaps are already so limited, I can't see them trying to split them up even further. And as you say, whoever is out there will mostly be handing it off or taking a knee anyway.

Of course, if the top two guys get hurt, you play the next best guy regardless.

People have been trying to make Gibbs a factor since he transferred. Personally I don't see it happening (for him or any other walk-on QB).

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:24 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Probably based on the assumption that the #3 QB will get mop-up duty, at most. You wouldn't burn Shuler's RS for that. Obviously he could still play four games, but those mop-up snaps are already so limited, I can't see them trying to split them up even further. And as you say, whoever is out there will mostly be handing it off or taking a knee anyway.

Of course, if the top two guys get hurt, you play the next best guy regardless.

People have been trying to make Gibbs a factor since he transferred. Personally I don't see it happening (for him or any other walk-on QB).
To be honest with you, the only reason that I consider Gibbs is that he was the one that grasped the playbook the quickest of the backup options last year. Is he considered as talented as the others? No. But he is smart and capable if needed.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:36 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:22 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
I don't think most are making that assumption but DBG is the highest "rated" of the current backups and seems to have the biggest up-side based on physical attributes. That said, it is my understanding that the spot is open for competition and will be given to the QB who earns it.

Shuler clearly has a great pedigree and he was a solid QB recruit, but he is pretty small and more of a drop back passer. That said, both Taylor Lamb and Zach Taylor were listed as pro-style QBs also but clearly have had the athleticism to maintain a dual threat.
I do think that DBG fits Peterson’s eye for a QB. I wouldn’t be disappointed if he developed into a Leftwich or Pennington type.

Champ24
School: North Carolina A&T

Unread post by Champ24 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:17 pm

Shuler is decent but DBG is on a different level. He maybe our most talent and gifted qb on the roster. Can't wait til he gets out there

Champ24
School: North Carolina A&T

Unread post by Champ24 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:56 pm

DBG got the opportunity to be one of App State's athletic qbs. I can't wait to see what he does on the field

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:10 pm

Question about our backup talent. Most of us agree that for the moment, Huesman appears to be #2 QB. Therefore, what would it take to displace him this year? One of the other guys playing lights out in practice? Is there enough opportunity for someone else to show enough in practice to get a sneak in real game situation? So can we tell from practice? Probably not what they will do under fire.

Two years ago the #2 guy in practice faltered in a real game, under REAL pressure (i.e. Ga Southern). Some may question how you can use that as an example but that is the situations that show the gamers vs the pretenders. If you disagree use Alabama and Tua in playoff game as comparison. Tua stepped up when his name was called and then he proved he was a player. In our case, Huesman ultimately ended up as next guy in line but he didn't exactly kill it when he was in either. When Armanti got his shot in a real game he showed he was a player as well. Those are a couple good examples. Is that what it will really take for us to know? Probably.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:26 pm

Champ24 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:56 pm
DBG got the opportunity to be one of App State's athletic qbs. I can't wait to see what he does on the field
Couldn't that be said of any of them? What makes you so high on him?

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:46 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:26 pm
Champ24 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:56 pm
Couldn't that be said of any of them? What makes you so high on him?
I watched him the first day he got on campus last year and he went to the stadium and was working out with fellow freshmen in private. Trust me he is a STUD with size and wheels.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:23 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:22 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Both Huesman and DBG should be able to get on the field vs Morgan State I’d imagine. If I’m Shawn though I would possibly have a conversation with Huesman prior to the year telling him to not be surprised if it’s DBG that gets the nod in most of the mop up time. There’s no game I’ve wanted to win more than that ‘21 ECU game.
I do want to win that ECU game badly but I would say SC and UNC were bigger since they are P5s and both of them have always looked down on us. I expect to beat ECU unless that HS QB they signed is truly the real deal like the buzz and they are ahead of us in that regard. I guess we will see. I do want to win that game extremely bad as well. I feel like putting UNC, SC, Wake Forest, and ECU in their place over a 3 year span would be the sweetest 3 years we have had in the grand scheme of things.
We go head to head with recruits much more so with ECU than UNC/USC or any P5 school. I also am friends with/work with ECU grads than anyone else, so it could be personal. But i do want an AAC scalp as well.

I would also pump the brakes on “expecting” to win that game. We will literally be turning over an entire offense, and it will be the first game doing so. ECU hasn’t been lacking in recruiting either, and Holton Ahlers will be the QB who we will play in Charlotte - and he can easily cause fits. They’re not going to be a squad to overlook.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:29 pm

I expect to beat ECU until I see a reason to think otherwise. Right now our rebuilding years are better than their best years. Obviously that could change but until it does...

TomA415

Unread post by TomA415 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:55 pm

If the QB recruit we have early enrolls he may get a shot too. I think it’ll be an open competition next year not just between a Shuler and DBG. We could look at grad transfer options as well.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 am

TomA415 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:55 pm
If the QB recruit we have early enrolls he may get a shot too. I think it’ll be an open competition next year not just between a Shuler and DBG. We could look at grad transfer options as well.
Definitely. Two QB recruits, actually.

As long as we’re taking wild guesses, I’ll pick Tabscott to win the job.

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:26 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:23 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
We go head to head with recruits much more so with ECU than UNC/USC or any P5 school. I also am friends with/work with ECU grads than anyone else, so it could be personal. But i do want an AAC scalp as well.

I would also pump the brakes on “expecting” to win that game. We will literally be turning over an entire offense, and it will be the first game doing so. ECU hasn’t been lacking in recruiting either, and Holton Ahlers will be the QB who we will play in Charlotte - and he can easily cause fits. They’re not going to be a squad to overlook.
I do expect ECU to have vastly improved by the time we square off in Charlotte. Year 3 under Houston and year 3? with Athers at QB. Hoping we have a repeat of the Penn State game with whoever is our QB. It will be key to get some of the younger guys some playing time this year for the transition next year.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:23 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

QB and skill guys will be the big question for sure. I don't think they are an easy win but I don't look at them like I am looking at Wisconsin. They will be a tough team but not someone we should be scared of. I would bet if you polled the average fans outside of our state they would predict we win.

I would say your feelings on them are personal. I agree it is big to beat them but outside of our state we got more respect for beating UNC and SC and would get way more respect if we upset Wisconsin than we will beating another G5 team. Like you, I want to scalp the AAC as well. Beating their teams will be one of many things we can do to help our standing in terms of respect from whose who decide on new invites.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:25 am

Here’s the deal with ECU.

If we played this year we would be absolute favored team. That doesn’t guarantee a win but it would be a game we should win.

However, a year from now we know multiple things could and will happen. 1) we will be replacing significant skill players with a very good QB being a key one. That is a big unknown. We may have an even better QB by that time. 2) ECU will have a year to improve. Will they rise to our level or will we drop to theirs?

I expect a competitive game just because our fan bases are so close and both teams will want it especially bad. There will be some rivalry and bragging rights at stake. So no matter who is favored it will be a battle.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:52 am

It never ceases to amaze me how some guys on this board can watch some limited high school highlights and then make a determination either way as to whether a kid will or won’t play, particularly at QB. Have we ever had a dude like DBG at QB? I personally will let our coaches make the call. I agree that we could take a step back after this season due to the huge loss of players. I can’t recall the last time we had this many senior contributors. That being said I’m quite certain that the guys in the wings are also talented and hopefully are just waiting for their turn. Clemson lost their entire defensive line to the NFL yet reloaded. I by no means compare us to Clemson but it’s not crazy to believe that talented younger kids are on the roster. In regards to the next QB who knows but on paper DBG is very interesting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”