Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

AppState Football fan safety survey

canes_mj
School: Appalachian State

AppState Football fan safety survey

Unread post by canes_mj » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:01 pm

For those who haven't seen this or filled it out. Survey of fans opinions re COVID safety and attending games. Glad App is doing this.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... A/viewform

GregPercussion

Re: AppState Football fan safety survey

Unread post by GregPercussion » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:10 pm

If anything it's a big deal that they're at least attempting to get the fans opinions and that nothing official has been decided yet. So go get it done yall.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:16 pm

No harm seeking feedback. But honestly these decisions need to be made based on public health more than fans’ opinions.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:31 pm

I took this survey from the email they sent me. That was a few days. I was thinking that maybe they were digging for some data of the financial side as much as the health side. One option was able to afford to attend or something to that effect. Another issue is that regardless of health requirements/regulations if they pack them in, or try and pack them in like sardines I may not be attending myself so knowing what the paying public is willing to put up with may be different than what the public health departments at various levels of government will allow.

Personally, I never get bothered by being asked gender identity questions. If you are going to ask it then give all the possible options and that goes will beyond any sort of binary choice, and I could see that being good to know as it relates to marketing and just knowing your customer base. One can always skip it.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:10 pm

Our neighborhood association owned pool announced that they would not be opening for the summer when the state allowed pools to open a few weeks back. Ours is the only such pool in the metro remaining closed. Their reason for this was not their inability to meet the state guidelines (they stated they would have been able to do so) but rather that not enough residents had joined the pool for the season (while it is HOA owned, it is an extra fee). The problem was they didn't ask residents' opinion prior to making a decision and all heck broke lose on the neighborhood FB group and at the recent HOA meeting with hundreds of residents stating they would gladly have joined the pool if asked but had been waiting to make sure the pool would be allowed to open before paying the fee - my family had made this very decision ourselves. Now while all the other pools are open, ours are not for no reason except the HOA failing to get resident feedback.

Anyway, the point is...good for App to get fan feedback on this topic before making decisions.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 pm

Yea this is a weird time for sure. I have come to believe that ultimately, as far as attendances for college football is concerned, that the Governors will have the say about large groups. So as we have had a hodgepodge approach to this pandemic testing, ppe and the like... it will probably be that way in college football. For NC with our cases and hospitalizations increasing and with Sept and October ushering in the influenza season, it is hard to see how you have mass attendances at events.. even if they are outdoors. Just see how hard the NBA and MLB and the NFL are working to attempt some kind of season with no spectators. It is hard to see how college football can pull it off. Hate to be Debbie Downer.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:37 pm

It’s time to get back to normal. Hold the games allowing anyone to attend that chooses to. If you don’t feel comfortable or are a high risk person then don’t go and watch on TV.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:40 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:37 pm
It’s time to get back to normal. Hold the games allowing anyone to attend that chooses to. If you don’t feel comfortable or are a high risk person then don’t go and watch on TV.
This!! Agree 100%

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:44 am

I took the survey. I don’t envy the Admins job figuring this out. I would however print an indemnification on the back of the ticket and send an “ at your own risk” letter with the season ticket. I pray we have some relief by Sept. but it’s not looking good.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:21 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Totally agree. That's what I wrote in the comment section on the survey. Like everything in life you have to make a choice to weigh the gain vs. risk, so let those of us who feel comfortable going go. I'm an adult and I can make the decision for myself.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:25 am

Living is an inherently risky endeavor.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 am

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:10 pm
Our neighborhood association owned pool announced that they would not be opening for the summer when the state allowed pools to open a few weeks back. Ours is the only such pool in the metro remaining closed. Their reason for this was not their inability to meet the state guidelines (they stated they would have been able to do so) but rather that not enough residents had joined the pool for the season (while it is HOA owned, it is an extra fee). The problem was they didn't ask residents' opinion prior to making a decision and all heck broke lose on the neighborhood FB group and at the recent HOA meeting with hundreds of residents stating they would gladly have joined the pool if asked but had been waiting to make sure the pool would be allowed to open before paying the fee - my family had made this very decision ourselves. Now while all the other pools are open, ours are not for no reason except the HOA failing to get resident feedback.

Anyway, the point is...good for App to get fan feedback on this topic before making decisions.
Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat with season tickets this year. This was the first year I was going to buy them since I'm moving to Hickory, but I'm just waiting to see how it all plays out before I throw hundreds of dollars down the drain. Hope they take into account cases like mine and don't just look at dollars spent today.

EMCasu04

Unread post by EMCasu04 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:49 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
This right here is why several states are currently spiking & a second wave is likely. It's not about your personal comfort level with contracting the virus. If it was, nobody would care if you put yourself at risk of getting sick and potentially dying. COVID is highly contagious, and asymptomatic people can pass the virus onto others who would be considered high-risk. So it ultimately doesn't really matter if you're an adult who can make their own decisions when your choices affect the people around you who may not agree with your cavalier approach.
TIGMA
Twitter: @emcannon

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:52 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 am
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:10 pm

Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat with season tickets this year. This was the first year I was going to buy them since I'm moving to Hickory, but I'm just waiting to see how it all plays out before I throw hundreds of dollars down the drain. Hope they take into account cases like mine and don't just look at dollars spent today.

I would strongly consider season tickets in order to go to games this year, as it is probable that season ticket holders are going to get priority in attending games. Memphis tweeted this same thing, and said that they do not anticipate any single game ticket sales this season. Other schools are likely to do something similar I think. I would think that if you bought season tickets and were not able to go because of cancellations, that the athletics office will refund your money. I would at least contact them or Yosef Club and talk about it

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:10 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
But there are a few simple things that can be done. Marking off seats for some social distancing would be helpful. It may not get to the suggested spacing but it would help some and it would help strangers remind each other to move a bit apart. And it would help the ushers help enforce this much like they enforce rowdy behavior rules often due to excessive alcohol.

Requiring a mask. Every bit of evidence suggests wearing a face covering helps and I have not heard anything to suggest it promotes the spread of Covid-19. It need not be a N95 level. As an academic institution, with good science departments we should be proud of, the university needs to stand up on the side of knowledge and require a mask of some sort. A loose fitting mask is not as good as a tight fitting mask which is not as good as an N95 type mask, but even a bandana wrapped around your nose and mouth is helpful, and would still allow yelling and rooting for our Mountaineers. There have been plenty of games were free towels have been given out and I assume at no cost to the athletic department through ads printed. I imagine that could be done for face masks as well. Again have this as more than a suggestion but a policy that is enforceable with removal from the stadium. Ushers need not be walking around looking to kick people out of the stadium but they should be able to enforce rules when asked to by other guests.

Another option is to have a large section for those that refuse to follow the rules to sit in much like we used to have smoking and non-smoking sections of restaurants. I don't like this as much as I do think the university needs to use this as a teachable moment about science and research and what all of that means.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:37 am

With the spikes we are seeing now, I’ve just got a feeling we won’t be playing ball this year. It’ll only get worse in the fall-winter stretch, not better. Spanish flu second wave was worst than the first and we seem destined to repeat that history unfortunately.

Hope I’m wrong.
YNWA

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:43 am

ah59396 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:37 am
With the spikes we are seeing now, I’ve just got a feeling we won’t be playing ball this year. It’ll only get worse in the fall-winter stretch, not better. Spanish flu second wave was worst than the first and we seem destined to repeat that history unfortunately.

Hope I’m wrong.
I do as well and the solution is rather cheap. Wear a f'ing mask - and wash your hands and a bar of soap is not that expensive either.

(I wonder how many actually understand the science of why washing hands is so effective. I may be scared of the answer as ti would only go to show how ignorant many are of basic biochemistry. I wonder the same about wearing a mask.)

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:20 am

I was talking to a buddy who graduated from Clemson and attends all football games. Apparently one of their main concerns is social distancing at concessions and restrooms. With 65,000 season ticket holders, they may divide the season into 3 games for ticket holder. Refund money for ones you are not selected for. I may not get the seats I want, but if App puts distance between families or ticket groups, we still have a chance of putting fans in the stands since we do not have that many season ticket holders

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:35 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Post of the last few months!
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 pm

EMCasu04 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:49 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
This right here is why several states are currently spiking & a second wave is likely. It's not about your personal comfort level with contracting the virus. If it was, nobody would care if you put yourself at risk of getting sick and potentially dying. COVID is highly contagious, and asymptomatic people can pass the virus onto others who would be considered high-risk. So it ultimately doesn't really matter if you're an adult who can make their own decisions when your choices affect the people around you who may not agree with your cavalier approach.
One thing I have noticed is wrong with society in general because of this virus is that many are not sanitary and that is a big reason for this. Even doctors say if you wash your hands, don't touch your face when in public, wash your hands before and after you use public restroom, use wipes, and cover your face if you sneeze or cough, etc then you likely won't get the disease. I'm sure even those who are comfortable would agree that if you are in the high risk group you need to stay home as much as you can and still practice sanitation.

Even in NY they said a big portion of those with the virus were still people in quarantine because those in their family would go out and not be careful so they would bring it home to them. If people were not stupid and just practice sanitary habits that alone would see the cases drop big time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”