Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

AppState Football fan safety survey

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: AppState Football fan safety survey

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:34 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 pm
EMCasu04 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:49 am
AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:37 pm
It’s time to get back to normal. Hold the games allowing anyone to attend that chooses to. If you don’t feel comfortable or are a high risk person then don’t go and watch on TV.
This right here is why several states are currently spiking & a second wave is likely. It's not about your personal comfort level with contracting the virus. If it was, nobody would care if you put yourself at risk of getting sick and potentially dying. COVID is highly contagious, and asymptomatic people can pass the virus onto others who would be considered high-risk. So it ultimately doesn't really matter if you're an adult who can make their own decisions when your choices affect the people around you who may not agree with your cavalier approach.
One thing I have noticed is wrong with society in general because of this virus is that many are not sanitary and that is a big reason for this. Even doctors say if you wash your hands, don't touch your face when in public, wash your hands before and after you use public restroom, use wipes, and cover your face if you sneeze or cough, etc then you likely won't get the disease. I'm sure even those who are comfortable would agree that if you are in the high risk group you need to stay home as much as you can and still practice sanitation.

Even in NY they said a big portion of those with the virus were still people in quarantine because those in their family would go out and not be careful so they would bring it home to them. If people were not stupid and just practice sanitary habits that alone would see the cases drop big time.
And it does not require an OCD level of cleanliness either, nor some level of Howard Hughes level of germophobia. I was never a big fan of sterilizing the home as that is only going to leave superbugs behind but I am cleaning more and cleaner with stronger stuff right now. But that level is not extreme. I do keep alcohol cleaner in all the cars now while I am out and a spare masks so if I forget a masks I have something to use.

Again wear a mask. So easy and effective and cheap.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:34 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
EMCasu04 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
It’s time to get back to normal. Hold the games allowing anyone to attend that chooses to. If you don’t feel comfortable or are a high risk person then don’t go and watch on TV.
This right here is why several states are currently spiking & a second wave is likely. It's not about your personal comfort level with contracting the virus. If it was, nobody would care if you put yourself at risk of getting sick and potentially dying. COVID is highly contagious, and asymptomatic people can pass the virus onto others who would be considered high-risk. So it ultimately doesn't really matter if you're an adult who can make their own decisions when your choices affect the people around you who may not agree with your cavalier approach.
One thing I have noticed is wrong with society in general because of this virus is that many are not sanitary and that is a big reason for this. Even doctors say if you wash your hands, don't touch your face when in public, wash your hands before and after you use public restroom, use wipes, and cover your face if you sneeze or cough, etc then you likely won't get the disease. I'm sure even those who are comfortable would agree that if you are in the high risk group you need to stay home as much as you can and still practice sanitation.

Even in NY they said a big portion of those with the virus were still people in quarantine because those in their family would go out and not be careful so they would bring it home to them. If people were not stupid and just practice sanitary habits that alone would see the cases drop big time.
And it does not require an OCD level of cleanliness either, nor some level of Howard Hughes level of germophobia. I was never a big fan of sterilizing the home as that is only going to leave superbugs behind but I am cleaning more and cleaner with stronger stuff right now. But that level is not extreme. I do keep alcohol cleaner in all the cars now while I am out and a spare masks so if I forget a masks I have something to use.

This is all correct. Hand washing is the single biggest preventative measure for spreading viruses and other communicable infections. Antibacterial soap is best. Hand sanitizer is good when soap isn't available but a good rule of thumb is that for every 3 times you use sanitizer, wash your hands with soap next. Personally, I also clean off my cell phone when I get home from public places if I've touched it. Can't find Clorox bleach wipes, so I've been using alcohol wipes....(the phone part is a little OCD maybe, but it's something I did when I worked at the hospital and have just continued lol)

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:04 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
EMCasu04 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

Oh I am OCD about my hands but I don't scrub my home with heavy duty stuff every day. I wipe down counters but I don't freak if there is a little dust here and there. I don't wear a mask because I would touch my face and constantly fix it to feel perfect. I wear glasses to read the computer at home but I touch my face a lot and find myself fixing it. I just don't like anything on my face.

I know I'm 100% fine in what I'm doing because I'm around people who are in the high risk group and none of us have gotten anything. I know some who have worn masks and still got Corona in other towns. I feel like do what is in your best interest. Some need to really wear a mask but some of us are better not wearing it. If wearing a mask is what is best for your comfort then I urge anyone to do it.

EMCasu04

Unread post by EMCasu04 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:45 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:04 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
EMCasu04 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

Oh I am OCD about my hands but I don't scrub my home with heavy duty stuff every day. I wipe down counters but I don't freak if there is a little dust here and there. I don't wear a mask because I would touch my face and constantly fix it to feel perfect. I wear glasses to read the computer at home but I touch my face a lot and find myself fixing it. I just don't like anything on my face.

I know I'm 100% fine in what I'm doing because I'm around people who are in the high risk group and none of us have gotten anything. I know some who have worn masks and still got Corona in other towns. I feel like do what is in your best interest. Some need to really wear a mask but some of us are better not wearing it. If wearing a mask is what is best for your comfort then I urge anyone to do it.
Would just add that some pretty credible research shows that wearing a mask cuts the risk of COVID19 infection by 85 percent in the event you encounter someone with the virus.
TIGMA
Twitter: @emcannon

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:48 pm

Yea so much to say, the mask is to prevent others not you. And it’s important for everybody when they leave their house or apt. Today NC registered is highest single total of cases... 1300. It’s positive rate (7 day avg) is 9%.... both those numbers are very concerning... never mind hospitalizations like 890.... like Dr Fauci says, when the number of hospitalizations go up... you have a problem. Oh for all those that say we’ll I’m young blah blah, the largest problem age range is 25-45. Look I want to see us play. I want it for this senior class ... it is just hard to see. Dr Fauci told the NFL today, to finish by early Oct.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:58 pm

If there is not a football season , with fans present ,and the revenue that generates ……

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:59 pm

EMCasu04 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Hey, I live in Georgia and things are pretty much back to close to normal with folks being more careful (probably should have practiced washing hands, using hand sanitizer, etc all along) and let me enlighten you, "Contrary to what you may hear on the news, there has not been some massive spike, everybody has not died of COVID-19 around here and the world has not come to an end". Let's get on living. Every time I step outside the house I am in more danger of dying from other factors than dying of COVID.

AppSt80

Unread post by AppSt80 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:10 pm

:roll:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:59 pm
EMCasu04 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Hey, I live in Georgia and things are pretty much back to close to normal with folks being more careful (probably should have practiced washing hands, using hand sanitizer, etc all along) and let me enlighten you, "Contrary to what you may hear on the news, there has not been some massive spike, everybody has not died of COVID-19 around here and the world has not come to an end". Let's get on living. Every time I step outside the house I am in more danger of dying from other factors than dying of COVID.
Wow! :roll:

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:57 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
EMCasu04 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Wait?! You mean to tell me the media and “experts” are exaggerating COVID?!? How is this possible?! But they’ve been spot on all along...

Oh, the riots are dying down and November is coming...now it makes sense.

**Before the mob piles on, this was slightly tongue in cheek....slightly.

EMCasu04

Unread post by EMCasu04 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:09 am

appstate24 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:57 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
EMCasu04 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Wait?! You mean to tell me the media and “experts” are exaggerating COVID?!? How is this possible?! But they’ve been spot on all along...

I don't understand the constant cynicism and lack of empathy these days. I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people.

Have some concern for your fellow citizens, we're all in this together. Shared sacrifice and whatnot.

Regarding AtlAppMan, my bro is an ER doc in ATL so I know for darn sure that GA is not getting back to normal. Cases are very much on the rise there. But I suspect you already knew that.
TIGMA

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:41 am

EMCasu04 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:09 am
appstate24 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
EMCasu04 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

I don't understand the constant cynicism and lack of empathy these days. I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people.

Have some concern for your fellow citizens, we're all in this together. Shared sacrifice and whatnot.

Regarding AtlAppMan, my bro is an ER doc in ATL so I know for darn sure that GA is not getting back to normal. Cases are very much on the rise there. But I suspect you already knew that.
I did not say no one in Georgia has COVID, to the contrary, there are still folks with it and getting it. Do you know how many people have died of the flu in the US this year (Just did a quick search and it is over 60,000 people this season)? Probably not because the news has not been telling you that factoid. Why have we not canceled games in the past for that? Because people just stay at home for most part when they are sick. But, you also may contract it if you go to a game because somebody had it sitting in front of you. Like I said, if you are concerned, stay at home. That is each person's choice.

EMCasu04

Unread post by EMCasu04 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:51 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:41 am
EMCasu04 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:09 am
appstate24 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
EMCasu04 wrote:

I did not say no one in Georgia has COVID, to the contrary, there are still folks with it and getting it. Do you know how many people have died of the flu in the US this year (Just did a quick search and it is over 60,000 people this season)? Probably not because the news has not been telling you that factoid. Why have we not canceled games in the past for that? Because people just stay at home for most part when they are sick. But, you also may contract it if you go to a game because somebody had it sitting in front of you. Like I said, if you are concerned, stay at home. That is each person's choice.
Well I'm not going to waste my time going back and forth with someone spewing right wing talking points, but a couple of counterpoints before I quit responding. 60,000 U.S. flu deaths PER YEAR vs. 118,436 U.S. Coronavirus deaths in FOUR MONTHS. See the difference? What do you think the COVID death toll will look like by year end?

Also, you may not know this living in your bubble, but there's actually a flu vaccine. There's not currently a COVID vaccine, although a number of clinical trials are underway.

But do you, buddy. I sincerely hope your macho man self doesn't get the virus, not only for your sake, but also for those around you since it sounds like you don't care how your actions affect others.

Go App!
TIGMA

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:31 am

Georgia is NOT an example of a state that should be followed as any type of paradigm. I have family there and follow the state pretty closely. No, it hasn't been a "NY" type situation, and I'm grateful for that. In comparing the FLU to Covid-19, it's important to keep in mind that flu statistics are estimates and there is a range given from 24K-62K. That is for the period October 2019 - Current 2020 per the CDC. So the number for Covid is twice as high and that is WITH the precautions that have been put in place. Can you imagine what the numbers might have been if no precautions had been taken?

I'm not saying we need to keep the country shut down indefinitely. I don't think that's the answer. I want to have football season as much as anybody else! I'm just saying that we aren't done yet and we need to make good decisions based on actual data. The experts say there could be a spike in the fall. I hope it doesn't happen but let's not bury our heads in the sand.

Everyone is entitled to interpret the data for themselves but in my opinion being dismissive because of comparisons with the flu just isn't a valid argument.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:36 pm

I think the flu comparison is very valid. We have a flu vaccine and roughly half the country refuses to get it. We have the magical masks for the covid and roughly half the country refuses to wear them. The comparison I'd like to see is if it's the same half. Personally, i get the flu shot but I'm not on board with the mask.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:21 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:36 pm
I think the flu comparison is very valid. We have a flu vaccine and roughly half the country refuses to get it. We have the magical masks for the covid and roughly half the country refuses to wear them. The comparison I'd like to see is if it's the same half. Personally, i get the flu shot but I'm not on board with the mask.
And why do you not want to wear a mask?

Also (and I know you did not mean this literally, at least I hope not) but using the word magical in a discussion like this is not the best word choice. There is some very well researched science beyond the reasons to wear masks. Science is not magic.

Just leave word out or use something like, "We have the mask, that have been shown in scientific research to reduce the spread of Covid-19, and roughly...."

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:35 pm

Outside the metro areas, if you can call them metro in NC, not wearing a mask is the norm. We are fully open with 45 employees seeing customers. I went to a bar last night and sat on a barstool for dinner and watched football with my wife and another couple. It's been like this for well over a month and everyone is fine. The term 'magical mask' is appropriate for this situation. Your normal is not everyones normal

Let me ask you this. Did you get a flu shot last year? Be honest.

AppSt80

Unread post by AppSt80 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:07 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:35 pm
Outside the metro areas, if you can call them metro in NC, not wearing a mask is the norm. We are fully open with 45 employees seeing customers. I went to a bar last night and sat on a barstool for dinner and watched football with my wife and another couple. It's been like this for well over a month and everyone is fine. The term 'magical mask' is appropriate for this situation. Your normal is not everyones normal

You, sir, are an idiot.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:17 pm

mike87 wrote:

Here's the thing with that. I also live in a small-town (Hickory) where the % of mask wearers is very low. I've discovered a very, what I believe to be valid, correlation between income/educational attainment level/religious & political ideology as to who wears masks and who does not and potentially why, but that is not to be my point of this post.

My point is more this: I was out in Utah on vacation all of last week, and I'll be heading down to FL on vacation next week. My wife and I are taking what we feel are calculated risks and also, at the same time, engaging in reasonable and basic precautions (including mask in most indoor situations, hand sanitizing frequently, wiping down hotel surfaces, rental car interior, etc.) that really require no skin off our backs. It hasn't even crossed our minds to not wear a mask, as the science is really irrelevant...because masks do not need to pass the smell test to be accepted as better than no mask. Both of us are relatively young and in good health. It's entirely possible that we could have/will contract COVID at some point and become asymptomatic carriers. Fingers-crossed that if we do contract at some point we remain asymptomatic, as I hope we all would.

That having been said, when out and about around Hickory, in a restaurant, the gas station, shopping...we are wearing masks. Again, it takes zero effort and I have no way of knowing that I'm not a carrier and that when I accidentally sneeze behind that 80-year old lady in the checkout line at the grocery store, who isn't wearing a mask, I might be passing it along. Or, maybe I'm passing it along to you as our paths cross in the restroom at the restaurant and you remain asymptomatic but you travel down to Charlotte for the day and begin to pass it along there, especially if you are not wearing a mask. Maybe your small town is spared, maybe it's spared for now, or maybe long-term but that doesn't mean you can't be a spreader. It doesn't mean your neighbors can't also.

Ultimately, you have no way of knowing the trickle effect of any small-town or of any individual person. Your small non-metro area may not be personally hit hard but very well could be a major contributor to an outbreak in a nursing home in Cleveland or San Antonio and not even know it...especially with our lack of sophisticated and timely contract tracing. Why contribute to the risk for someone else for something as simple as not wearing a mask. Is a mask (or any precaution) perfect? No, it's not...it's not magical but it is common-sense, just like the flu shot. What happened to being our "Brother's Keeper". I like to think that I'm just as responsible (in logically approachable ways such as this) for your health, or the health of your son or daughter, as I am for the health of my own elderly mother. Where has that humanity gone?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:22 pm

mike87 wrote:

Of course I got a flu shot. It protects me and those around me as the best option. I know people that can't get a flu shot due to their own health problems and if I can help with herd mentality then why would I not do that. I can't remember the last time I did NOT get a flu shot. I also get a pneumonia shot when due. When I can get a vaccine recommended by my doctor I have always said yes.

So it sounds like you are not wearing a mask because of peer pressure and you don't want to stand out. Most in Greensboro are not wearing a mask either, but I do when I am in public, except for walking the dog. There is not enough people walking around me to bother at that point.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:01 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
EMCasu04 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:
Funny, my daughter lives in Atlanta and says there is clearly a spike in COVID

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”