Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

AppState Football fan safety survey

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: AppState Football fan safety survey

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:05 pm

mike87 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:36 pm
I think the flu comparison is very valid. We have a flu vaccine and roughly half the country refuses to get it. We have the magical masks for the covid and roughly half the country refuses to wear them. The comparison I'd like to see is if it's the same half. Personally, i get the flu shot but I'm not on board with the mask.
I get it....you are a Georgia Southern troll. Nobody with an Appalachian degree could be this stupid.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:24 pm

EMCasu04 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:45 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:04 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:34 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:10 pm
EMCasu04 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:49 am

This right here is why several states are currently spiking & a second wave is likely. It's not about your personal comfort level with contracting the virus. If it was, nobody would care if you put yourself at risk of getting sick and potentially dying. COVID is highly contagious, and asymptomatic people can pass the virus onto others who would be considered high-risk. So it ultimately doesn't really matter if you're an adult who can make their own decisions when your choices affect the people around you who may not agree with your cavalier approach.
One thing I have noticed is wrong with society in general because of this virus is that many are not sanitary and that is a big reason for this. Even doctors say if you wash your hands, don't touch your face when in public, wash your hands before and after you use public restroom, use wipes, and cover your face if you sneeze or cough, etc then you likely won't get the disease. I'm sure even those who are comfortable would agree that if you are in the high risk group you need to stay home as much as you can and still practice sanitation.

Even in NY they said a big portion of those with the virus were still people in quarantine because those in their family would go out and not be careful so they would bring it home to them. If people were not stupid and just practice sanitary habits that alone would see the cases drop big time.
And it does not require an OCD level of cleanliness either, nor some level of Howard Hughes level of germophobia. I was never a big fan of sterilizing the home as that is only going to leave superbugs behind but I am cleaning more and cleaner with stronger stuff right now. But that level is not extreme. I do keep alcohol cleaner in all the cars now while I am out and a spare masks so if I forget a masks I have something to use.

Again wear a mask. So easy and effective and cheap.
Oh I am OCD about my hands but I don't scrub my home with heavy duty stuff every day. I wipe down counters but I don't freak if there is a little dust here and there. I don't wear a mask because I would touch my face and constantly fix it to feel perfect. I wear glasses to read the computer at home but I touch my face a lot and find myself fixing it. I just don't like anything on my face.

I know I'm 100% fine in what I'm doing because I'm around people who are in the high risk group and none of us have gotten anything. I know some who have worn masks and still got Corona in other towns. I feel like do what is in your best interest. Some need to really wear a mask but some of us are better not wearing it. If wearing a mask is what is best for your comfort then I urge anyone to do it.
Would just add that some pretty credible research shows that wearing a mask cuts the risk of COVID19 infection by 85 percent in the event you encounter someone with the virus.
I know but I'm not quite in the high risk category. I am a clean freak and avoid high risk places with big crowds. If I had to go to the doctor or something where it is higher risk of getting it I would most definitely wear a mask. Just not wearing one every day in every thing I do.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:11 pm

canes_mj wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:52 am
ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 am
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:10 pm
Our neighborhood association owned pool announced that they would not be opening for the summer when the state allowed pools to open a few weeks back. Ours is the only such pool in the metro remaining closed. Their reason for this was not their inability to meet the state guidelines (they stated they would have been able to do so) but rather that not enough residents had joined the pool for the season (while it is HOA owned, it is an extra fee). The problem was they didn't ask residents' opinion prior to making a decision and all heck broke lose on the neighborhood FB group and at the recent HOA meeting with hundreds of residents stating they would gladly have joined the pool if asked but had been waiting to make sure the pool would be allowed to open before paying the fee - my family had made this very decision ourselves. Now while all the other pools are open, ours are not for no reason except the HOA failing to get resident feedback.

Anyway, the point is...good for App to get fan feedback on this topic before making decisions.
Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat with season tickets this year. This was the first year I was going to buy them since I'm moving to Hickory, but I'm just waiting to see how it all plays out before I throw hundreds of dollars down the drain. Hope they take into account cases like mine and don't just look at dollars spent today.

I would strongly consider season tickets in order to go to games this year, as it is probable that season ticket holders are going to get priority in attending games. Memphis tweeted this same thing, and said that they do not anticipate any single game ticket sales this season. Other schools are likely to do something similar I think. I would think that if you bought season tickets and were not able to go because of cancellations, that the athletics office will refund your money. I would at least contact them or Yosef Club and talk about it
Went ahead and took the dive. Guess I’ll consider it a donation if the season ends up getting cancelled.

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:23 am

mike87 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:36 pm
I think the flu comparison is very valid. We have a flu vaccine and roughly half the country refuses to get it. We have the magical masks for the covid and roughly half the country refuses to wear them. The comparison I'd like to see is if it's the same half. Personally, i get the flu shot but I'm not on board with the mask.
I wear a mask in general public and at work and, to the best of my recollection, have always avoided the flu shot. When available, I will get the covid shot and give up the mask.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:25 am

I would urge you to get a flu shot. Most insurance plans have it for free if only because it is cheaper for them than paying drs and hospitals for flu care.

And plan on getting Covid shots yearly or more often. Corona viruses tend to not have long lasting vaccines like a measles shot and with the animal spreading vector of Covid it will be near impossible to kill it off as we did smallpox. At least that is what I have heard and read a bit about.

I am not sure if the short term nature of corona viruses vaccines are due to mutations in the virus or tied to the proteins that make the virus. In the case of the flu the short term nature is due to mutations.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:26 am

I moved to the NEZ bought our tickets. I hope thing clear up better than they are now. I am in the high risk category. If I miss the in person season at least I’ll live to see another! Money well spent to support out program.

Thor58

Unread post by Thor58 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:39 am

Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:25 am
I would urge you to get a flu shot. Most insurance plans have it for free if only because it is cheaper for them than paying drs and hospitals for flu care.
And plan on getting Covid shots yearly or more often. Corona viruses tend to not have long lasting vaccines like a measles shot and with the animal spreading vector of Covid it will be near impossible to kill it off as we did smallpox. At least that is what I have heard and read a bit about.

I am not sure if the short term nature of corona viruses vaccines are due to mutations in the virus or tied to the proteins that make the virus. In the case of the flu the short term nature is due to mutations.
Never taken a flu shot and never will. My wife has to take a flu shot because she works in a hospital. She has had the flu a couple of times in the past 6 years. One time I thought she was going to die because she was the sickest that I have ever seen her in our 35+ years of marriage. I never got a sniffle and I also work in a place with lots of contact with the public. This past winter, her mom, two brothers and their wives all took the flu shot. All were down with the flu for at least two weeks. My mother in law actually had to go to the emergency room as they thought she was dying. I did have the flu about 13 years ago, but that is the only time in the past 25 years or so. I recovered fairly quickly.

If you look at the CDC numbers on flu shots, they will tell you that in a good year they might be around 45% effective, but in most years the effectiveness is much less.

Just a thought on the COVID 19 vaccine. We have a government subsidizing companies to come up with a vaccine. These companies have no liability so if people die or are damaged from the vaccine, they suffer no loss. Just what incentive do they have to make this thing safe? Even Bill Gates has stated that there could be up to 700000 people who could suffer adverse effects. I would also recommend that people go back and look at the old 60 minutes report from 1976 on the effects of the Swine Flu Vaccine that was also rushed out to the public. All you have to do is google 60 Minutes Swine Flu 1976 and it should come up.

Finally, I know that I will be attacked on this forum as being some kind of a "fruitcake" conspiracy theorist. That's ok with me. If it will help someone on here to think critically and be cautious, it is worth it.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:36 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:26 am
I moved to the NEZ bought our tickets. I hope thing clear up better than they are now. I am in the high risk category. If I miss the in person season at least I’ll live to see another! Money well spent to support out program.
I'm with you in the "high risk" category. If I get Covid-19, my ticket is pretty well punched. :cry: We've been in Club Seat section since it opened and there's no way to distance fans in that area. It's virtually SRO. If distancing is done there, a lot of fans will be displaced into some yet to be determined (or yet to be announced) locations.

If the virus is raging in Sept.-Oct., the "stay at home" strategy will look really safe and comfy to us, as well.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

AppSt80

Unread post by AppSt80 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Thor58 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:39 am

Never taken a flu shot and never will. My wife has to take a flu shot because she works in a hospital. She has had the flu a couple of times in the past 6 years. One time I thought she was going to die because she was the sickest that I have ever seen her in our 35+ years of marriage. I never got a sniffle and I also work in a place with lots of contact with the public. This past winter, her mom, two brothers and their wives all took the flu shot. All were down with the flu for at least two weeks. My mother in law actually had to go to the emergency room as they thought she was dying. I did have the flu about 13 years ago, but that is the only time in the past 25 years or so. I recovered fairly quickly.

If you look at the CDC numbers on flu shots, they will tell you that in a good year they might be around 45% effective, but in most years the effectiveness is much less.

Just a thought on the COVID 19 vaccine. We have a government subsidizing companies to come up with a vaccine. These companies have no liability so if people die or are damaged from the vaccine, they suffer no loss. Just what incentive do they have to make this thing safe? Even Bill Gates has stated that there could be up to 700000 people who could suffer adverse effects. I would also recommend that people go back and look at the old 60 minutes report from 1976 on the effects of the Swine Flu Vaccine that was also rushed out to the public. All you have to do is google 60 Minutes Swine Flu 1976 and it should come up.

Finally, I know that I will be attacked on this forum as being some kind of a "fruitcake" conspiracy theorist. That's ok with me. If it will help someone on here to think critically and be cautious, it is worth it.
Yes....that about sums you up. I have taken the flu shot since I entered the Air Force in 1980 and have had the flu twice.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Sad to say I don't think I will be attending for the first time in about 25 years. I just don't think many people are taking this thing serious so better safe than sorry.

AppSt80

Unread post by AppSt80 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:06 pm

bcoach wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:57 pm
Sad to say I don't think I will be attending for the first time in about 25 years. I just don't think many people are taking this thing serious so better safe than sorry.
I'm with you there....too many morons out there who want to risk my life.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Hey Thor, hard to leave this one alone. If you haven’t gotten the flu... great but is not because you haven’t gotten a flu shot. We could fill this board with millions of posts of people who haven’t gotten the flu or have had far less symptoms because they had the flu shot. The effectiveness of the vaccine varies each season because the vaccine includes 3 or 4 strains of the of the influenza viruses . They can’t include all possible. On top of that the nature of viruses is that they mutate to some other structure. All that said, you are far better to build up antibodies at least to stop the worst symptoms from occurring. Let’s put one thing to bed, you cannot get the flu from the flu shot... period. You can get soreness and a low grade fever that will go away in 1-2 days. You can have an allergic reaction. The effectiveness of the flu shots are in the 40-60% range. The older you are the more should get them as well as the more you have any chronic conditions, you should definitely get them. And finally, in 2017-18 flu season the flu vaccinations prevented an estimated 6.2 million flu illnesses approximately 91,000 hospitalizations...... I’ll error on the side of large numbers and research.

Thor58

Unread post by Thor58 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:49 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:34 pm
Hey Thor, hard to leave this one alone. If you haven’t gotten the flu... great but is not because you haven’t gotten a flu shot. We could fill this board with millions of posts of people who haven’t gotten the flu or have had far less symptoms because they had the flu shot. The effectiveness of the vaccine varies each season because the vaccine includes 3 or 4 strains of the of the influenza viruses . They can’t include all possible. On top of that the nature of viruses is that they mutate to some other structure. All that said, you are far better to build up antibodies at least to stop the worst symptoms from occurring. Let’s put one thing to bed, you cannot get the flu from the flu shot... period. You can get soreness and a low grade fever that will go away in 1-2 days. You can have an allergic reaction. The effectiveness of the flu shots are in the 40-60% range. The older you are the more should get them as well as the more you have any chronic conditions, you should definitely get them. And finally, in 2017-18 flu season the flu vaccinations prevented an estimated 6.2 million flu illnesses approximately 91,000 hospitalizations...... I’ll error on the side of large numbers and research.
No reason to leave it alone. I always feel that honest opinions can be given in a forum like this. I respect yours. I just happen to disagree.

tromboneman

Unread post by tromboneman » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:19 pm

Thor58 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:39 am

When I entered ASTC in 1960, the last thing in the registration line was Nurse Shook standing there "slinging the harpoon" with flu shots. Everyone took the shot unless you had a Drs. note or were allergic to eggs.

hAPPy4APP

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Ok, so I didn't know Bill gates was a medical expert, but anyway I don't think our getting back to the business of living, and dying, is being cavalier at all. When the danger level rises, we become more cautious and observant, i.e. storms, heavy traffic, epidemics, traveling to and around Statesboro,etc. (we still go, don't we)
If your own tolerance level dictates you stay home, great. Stay home. If you're in the high risk group, please stay home or take the proper cautions. I'm in the high risk group, so I take precautions, wear mask when I'm in public, etc. etc. and I do plan on being in KBS, God willing, this fall, with said precautions. That could change if there is clear and un=mistakeable evidence that I should not, rather than the guesswork of the "experts"
I realize that COVID-19 presents a danger to our health and well being, but so do so many other things. The unintended consequences of going into the fetal position indefinitely could prove to be far worse than the pandemic.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:12 am

The flu shot is not an end all, be all for defense against the flu. It has never (at least in my lifetime) been advertised as such. However, it is scientifically proven that if you have the flu shot, and still get the flu, the effects are GREATLY reduced for majority of the population. If you decide to not get one, that is your option in this free country. If you decide to get one, that is your option in this free country.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:00 am

I find the name calling regrettable.Scientific studies are often funded by those with an interest in the outcome. Take that as you may .Cases are up , mainly because testing is up. Here the case numbers in total are up but the percentage of positives is down.If football is cancelled then basketball will be as well and college athletics as we know it is done.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:44 pm

I guess i stirred the sh&t on this thread. Sorry about that, i wasn't trying to be ignorant or whatever other names were assigned. The 'magical mask' was divisive, sorry about that one, it was a humor attempt. I still stand by my views on this issue though. This weekend, I spent time at a beach club where there were members of the the state house present. Probably a crowd of 150 people and no masks. I keep my distance anyway, not a big hugger or hand shaker and did this weekend as well. But the crowd that supposedly has all the information and pushes the masks the hardest, they don't follow their guidelines when not in public view. Same with the broadcasters, on camera, mask, off camera, no mask. These folks all get paid to read a script. I guess it's an election year.
I did buy a neck buff that pulls up over your face, spf 50. I'll wear it when appropriate, but the longer we go the more the data changes and this becomes just another virus. Go App. (spf 50 - that's humor)

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:12 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:00 am
I find the name calling regrettable.Scientific studies are often funded by those with an interest in the outcome. Take that as you may .Cases are up , mainly because testing is up. Here the case numbers in total are up but the percentage of positives is down.If football is cancelled then basketball will be as well and college athletics as we know it is done.
Not counting the damage done to the athletes, athletics as we know it could use a reset. " As we know it" has been walking a very fine line. The rich programs are lengthening the lead and we are falling farther behind. Money is destroying college programs and right now is the proof. We and most other G5 programs have been living on the edge. Living way beyond our means. Spending more than we earn. If we want to be honest we simply are not paying the tab for our entertainment. We keep wanting more and more but we don't want to pay for it. Ticket prices should be double what they are. I will not even start on student fees that people who never attend a game can be paying for years after they graduate. I truly believe it could use a reset. In the long run we will all be better off if we use this time to take a long hard look. I truly believe if we don't the future of college athletics will be drastically different.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:42 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:12 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:00 am
Not counting the damage done to the athletes, athletics as we know it could use a reset. " As we know it" has been walking a very fine line. The rich programs are lengthening the lead and we are falling farther behind. Money is destroying college programs and right now is the proof. We and most other G5 programs have been living on the edge. Living way beyond our means. Spending more than we earn. If we want to be honest we simply are not paying the tab for our entertainment. We keep wanting more and more but we don't want to pay for it. Ticket prices should be double what they are. I will not even start on student fees that people who never attend a game can be paying for years after they graduate. I truly believe it could use a reset. In the long run we will all be better off if we use this time to take a long hard look. I truly believe if we don't the future of college athletics will be drastically different.
If we could get more than 3000 Yosef Club members in a year that would be a good start.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”