Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wisconsin game in jeopardy

BeauFoster
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wisconsin game in jeopardy

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:59 pm

asu66 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:21 am
Thor58 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:15 am

Testing problem??? You decide.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/cobb-c ... ours-apart
The same thing happened to a PGA Tour golfer 2 weeks ago. One of the biggest problems with this whole thing is that even the “experts” seem to have no damn clue what is going on, and their story changes day to day/week to week, and it’s leading John Q Public (like me) to have no confidence in them whatsoever.
To your point, the esteemed Dr. Tony Fauci has reversed himself from one week 'til the next to one day 'til the next on quite a few of his pronouncements or predictions going back three or four months. I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't so brash with his proclamations and so dismissive of his complete misses. I realize he's trying to stay scientific with an unpredictable force of nature--but so many times he seems to be making calls with his well-worn Ouija board. I've stopped watching/listening to him. Johns-Hopkins U. researchers have become my go-to Covid-19 source.
Couldn’t agree more, Chuck. There’s too many varying opinions out there, and Fauci is one I have completely given up on.
Give 'em hell!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:42 pm

Herd immunity and a soft response has been tried in Sweden and the virus by all accounts has been a certified failure. Also, it's possible to get the virus more than once.

Being OK with young people being more at risk for the virus because of their perceived health is, quite frankly horrifying.

The moment one football player dies or almost dies from COVID-19, fall sports will be done.

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:44 pm

asu66 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
Thor58 wrote:

The same thing happened to a PGA Tour golfer 2 weeks ago. One of the biggest problems with this whole thing is that even the “experts” seem to have no damn clue what is going on, and their story changes day to day/week to week, and it’s leading John Q Public (like me) to have no confidence in them whatsoever.
To your point, the esteemed Dr. Tony Fauci has reversed himself from one week 'til the next to one day 'til the next on quite a few of his pronouncements or predictions going back three or four months. I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't so brash with his proclamations and so dismissive of his complete misses. I realize he's trying to stay scientific with an unpredictable force of nature--but so many times he seems to be making calls with his well-worn Ouija board. I've stopped watching/listening to him. Johns-Hopkins U. researchers have become my go-to Covid-19 source.
“him if he wasn't so brash with his proclamations and so dismissive of his complete misses.”......... Sounds like someone else in government 🤣

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:55 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:42 pm
Herd immunity and a soft response has been tried in Sweden and the virus by all accounts has been a certified failure. Also, it's possible to get the virus more than once.

Being OK with young people being more at risk for the virus because of their perceived health is, quite frankly horrifying.

The moment one football player dies or almost dies from COVID-19, fall sports will be done.
So what is your answer to the problem? And I’m not talking in terms of football, rather in terms of life continuing in a somewhat normal capacity. Use schools as an example. Opening schools doesn’t really create an inherent risk to kids, but it does to older educators or those with compromised situations. Keeping schools closed to a formal educational setting has the potential to set our kids back for years. Not to mention, increasing the already existing educational gaps among the socioeconomic and racial lines. Back to football, cancelling the season will have, not only devastating effects to universities, but even games with no fans will likely cripple businesses that depend on crowds. Point is, there isn’t a likely outcome from this that isn’t, “frankly horrifying”.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:09 pm

boonetown1 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:44 pm
asu66 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
Thor58 wrote:

“him if he wasn't so brash with his proclamations and so dismissive of his complete misses.”......... Sounds like someone else in government 🤣
Actually, sounds like everyone else in government! :( :roll:

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:13 pm

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:18 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:55 pm
So what is your answer to the problem? And I’m not talking in terms of football, rather in terms of life continuing in a somewhat normal capacity. Use schools as an example. Opening schools doesn’t really create an inherent risk to kids, but it does to older educators or those with compromised situations. Keeping schools closed to a formal educational setting has the potential to set our kids back for years. Not to mention, increasing the already existing educational gaps among the socioeconomic and racial lines. Back to football, cancelling the season will have, not only devastating effects to universities, but even games with no fans will likely cripple businesses that depend on crowds. Point is, there isn’t a likely outcome from this that isn’t, “frankly horrifying”.
I'll go with the answers that prioritize health and wellbeing over business and profits, just to keep it simple.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:26 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:18 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
I'll go with the answers that prioritize health and wellbeing over business and profits, just to keep it simple.
Fair enough. I don’t think any of us are taking a, “if he dies, he dies approach.” Just pointing out the underlying affects of either scenario.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:30 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:18 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
That’s a cop out answer at this point, because every bit of it is completely intertwined. It’s not necessarily prioritizing business and profits when you look at it from a “being able to provide for your family and provide an education to children” perspective. Not to mention the increased rates of suicide and domestic violence that have spiked over the last 4 months.

This isn’t a singular issue, it is the entirety of society.
Give 'em hell!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:33 pm

Big 10 conference games only. We are gonna lose our ass.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:37 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

There were answers, other countries will be having fans in stands soon. We will not. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions as to why not. One hint: leadership from the top.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:38 pm

If someone can get it multiple times, a vaccine will do little good. There comes a time when we are going to have to suck it up and deal.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:01 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:59 pm
asu66 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
Thor58 wrote:

Couldn’t agree more, Chuck. There’s too many varying opinions out there, and Fauci is one I have completely given up on.
HA you think Fauci is the problem?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:05 pm

NashvilleNeer wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:01 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
asu66 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
Thor58 wrote:

I don’t recall saying he is THE problem, but I don’t have a lot of trust in what he says at this point.
Give 'em hell!

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:08 pm

Do you guys remember the days when you could go to a university sports forum, open up a thread titled something about football, and read about football? That was fun.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:10 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:33 pm
Big 10 conference games only. We are gonna lose our ass.
Bad for us to be sure, but many others will be in the same boat. Chris Vannini from The Athletic just mentioned in particular how much this will hammer the MAC financially; most of those teams schedule three money games, many against the B1G.

Also there's no way the B1G cancels conference games and everyone else goes on as normal. If they're going to conference-only, I feel pretty safe in saying everyone else will too.

Of course assuming those conference games will happen is a pretty big leap too...

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:13 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:05 pm
NashvilleNeer wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:01 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
asu66 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:

I don’t recall saying he is THE problem, but I don’t have a lot of trust in what he says at this point.
He has more experience studying these matters than the rest of the administration, so maybe let's go with what he says. There's reasons why we're in this mess and it's not because of him.
Last edited by NashvilleNeer on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:15 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:37 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

There were answers, other countries will be having fans in stands soon. We will not. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions as to why not. One hint: leadership from the top.
This is, frankly, inarguable. A lot of us try to talk about this without "getting political," but there's only so many ways to say it euphamistically.

This is a problem that absolutely requires a competent, focused, coordinated national response, and the US hasn't had one at any point.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:24 pm

Some people when they get old, my Dad is 87 for example, they say, to heck with it, I am going to live how I want to, eat what I want to, etc. If that kills me then so be it I am going to live as I want and go out happy. He decides what risk is appropriate for his situation. The others that don't want to live like this can shelter at home and should, if they feel unsafe for whatever reason. This is actually the way it has been forever. The risk for anyone under 70 is extremely minimal with the exception of some specific individuals with pre-existing conditions.
Last edited by AtlAppMan on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”