Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wisconsin game in jeopardy

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wisconsin game in jeopardy

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Just be glad we aren’t BYU or Liberty. Their whole season looks DOA.
YNWA

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:26 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:30 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:18 pm
I'll go with the answers that prioritize health and wellbeing over business and profits, just to keep it simple.
That’s a cop out answer at this point, because every bit of it is completely intertwined. It’s not necessarily prioritizing business and profits when you look at it from a “being able to provide for your family and provide an education to children” perspective. Not to mention the increased rates of suicide and domestic violence that have spiked over the last 4 months.

This isn’t a singular issue, it is the entirety of society.
Well, it shouldn't have been intertwined, but it is now because enough people didn't take it seriously once Memorial Day happened and a lot of people were rushed to reopen everything. We're now faced with more difficult decisions in July because of the ignorance in March, April, May and June.

The tough answers are a rabbit hole or sacrifices that in the end is reliant on government protecting its citizens for a longer period of time. And right as deferrance periods are ending.

Overall, in the grand scheme of things, my point was that we should push pause on college football and putting young people out there to make sure schools get millions of dollars is not the course of action we need to take.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:33 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:26 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
T-Dog wrote:
I'll go with the answers that prioritize health and wellbeing over business and profits, just to keep it simple.
That’s a cop out answer at this point, because every bit of it is completely intertwined. It’s not necessarily prioritizing business and profits when you look at it from a “being able to provide for your family and provide an education to children” perspective. Not to mention the increased rates of suicide and domestic violence that have spiked over the last 4 months.

Well, it shouldn't have been intertwined, but it is now because enough people didn't take it seriously once Memorial Day happened and a lot of people were rushed to reopen everything. We're now faced with more difficult decisions in July because of the ignorance in March, April, May and June.

The tough answers are a rabbit hole or sacrifices that in the end is reliant on government protecting its citizens for a longer period of time. And right as deferrance periods are ending.

Overall, in the grand scheme of things, my point was that we should push pause on college football and putting young people out there to make sure schools get millions of dollars is not the course of action we need to take.
Everything is intertwined because that is how the world works. It called cause and effect. Mask wearing is only to slow it down. There are no guarantees.

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:34 pm

Brett Mcmurphy reporting ACC likely going conference games only

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:37 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:15 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:37 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:55 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:42 pm
Herd immunity and a soft response has been tried in Sweden and the virus by all accounts has been a certified failure. Also, it's possible to get the virus more than once.

Being OK with young people being more at risk for the virus because of their perceived health is, quite frankly horrifying.

The moment one football player dies or almost dies from COVID-19, fall sports will be done.
So what is your answer to the problem? And I’m not talking in terms of football, rather in terms of life continuing in a somewhat normal capacity. Use schools as an example. Opening schools doesn’t really create an inherent risk to kids, but it does to older educators or those with compromised situations. Keeping schools closed to a formal educational setting has the potential to set our kids back for years. Not to mention, increasing the already existing educational gaps among the socioeconomic and racial lines. Back to football, cancelling the season will have, not only devastating effects to universities, but even games with no fans will likely cripple businesses that depend on crowds. Point is, there isn’t a likely outcome from this that isn’t, “frankly horrifying”.
There were answers, other countries will be having fans in stands soon. We will not. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions as to why not. One hint: leadership from the top.
This is, frankly, inarguable. A lot of us try to talk about this without "getting political," but there's only so many ways to say it euphamistically.

This is a problem that absolutely requires a competent, focused, coordinated national response, and the US hasn't had one at any point.
In case you need a refresher as to what EastHall and Yosef10 are talking about...

“We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:39 pm

Just cancelled my hotel room in Madison. I was really looking forward to that trip.

MountaineerKidd

Unread post by MountaineerKidd » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:41 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:39 pm
Just cancelled my hotel room in Madison. I was really looking forward to that trip.
Same here. Always wanted to go to Camp Randall. A shame. Maybe another year.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:46 pm

How does cancelling these games make any difference?

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:52 pm

Our school needs us more than ever. Please Join YOSEF Club at any level.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:55 pm

T-Dog wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Unfortunately, while "pushing pause" on college football is probably going to be necessary, it won't help any more than quarantining did if we do little in the meantime to actually slow the infection rate. The virus will still be there whenever we try to play games again (unless/until there's a vaccine, of course).

I was just reading something about this point today: It's not so much that states reopened too soon, it's that when they did, they reopened dumb stuff like bars, and kept masks optional (while certain people decided to make them a culture war fight), and didn't have enough test/trace capability, etc. And there's little reason to expect our response to improve in 2020, IMO.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:59 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:52 pm
Our school needs us more than ever. Please Join YOSEF Club at any level.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:06 pm

T-Dog wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

I may have missed it somewhere in this thread, but I don’t think anyone has specifically said we should play football for monetary reasons. Some have questioned how the loss of the season will impact our school finances (which is a very valid question), some have offered opinions on how it could be safely played, and many have hypothesized about what happens if there are games in the fall.

I don’t want anyone to die, from COVID or any other measure. What I do want is for people to look at the issues with this virus and how it is impacting our society and figure out how we emerge. That could be in a month, 6 months, a year...I don’t know. What I do know is that I see competing opinions on every channel and on every website, and those opinions seem to change with alarming frequency.

There will be no historical playbook from which to draw for this. It is going to take compromise and intelligence, and quite frankly, I’ve seen very little of one or the other from most involved. The thousands of experts do not seem to agree with one another (people who are far more educated than anyone on this board), and they seem to slant more towards 0s and 1s (you get it and die, or you don’t and that’s the only way you live). The politicians are the opposite-to me they seem less interested in the impacts, but more towards how the impacts can help them advance their own agendas. There are exceptions to each group, but it grows increasingly difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

We can ask individual questions, such as “should we play football in the fall?” but those questions will rarely be binary once we start discussing them in depth.
Give 'em hell!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:09 pm

NashvilleNeer wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:13 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:05 pm
NashvilleNeer wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:01 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:59 pm
asu66 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm

To your point, the esteemed Dr. Tony Fauci has reversed himself from one week 'til the next to one day 'til the next on quite a few of his pronouncements or predictions going back three or four months. I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't so brash with his proclamations and so dismissive of his complete misses. I realize he's trying to stay scientific with an unpredictable force of nature--but so many times he seems to be making calls with his well-worn Ouija board. I've stopped watching/listening to him. Johns-Hopkins U. researchers have become my go-to Covid-19 source.
Couldn’t agree more, Chuck. There’s too many varying opinions out there, and Fauci is one I have completely given up on.
HA you think Fauci is the problem?
I don’t recall saying he is THE problem, but I don’t have a lot of trust in what he says at this point.
He has more experience studying these matters than the rest of the administration, so maybe let's go with what he says. There's reasons why we're in this mess and it's not because of him.
You seem to be implying that I’m listening to the administration rather than Fauci, which isn’t the case. I’m not really paying attention to either, to be honest. As I’ve said multiple times, I’m looking more towards the data and what it says.
Give 'em hell!

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:22 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned or thought about, but just occurred to me... if the Sun Belt (or all conferences) ditch OOC games, we wouldn't play football till Wednesday, Oct. 7 (at home against ULL)! 4 OOC's straight, followed with a bye week. This, of course, is assuming we play at all. I, personally, would rather have a full schedule with full attendance in the Spring, but realize there are all the logistical hurdles...

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:26 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:09 pm
NashvilleNeer wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
NashvilleNeer wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:59 pm

Couldn’t agree more, Chuck. There’s too many varying opinions out there, and Fauci is one I have completely given up on.
I don’t recall saying he is THE problem, but I don’t have a lot of trust in what he says at this point.
He has more experience studying these matters than the rest of the administration, so maybe let's go with what he says. There's reasons why we're in this mess and it's not because of him.
You seem to be implying that I’m listening to the administration rather than Fauci, which isn’t the case. I’m not really paying attention to either, to be honest. As I’ve said multiple times, I’m looking more towards the data and what it says.
You don't think Fauci has access to that same data? the issue is, he can't fully lead the nation on what to do because the rest of the people in charge will not let him.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:33 pm

postalapp90 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:34 pm
Brett Mcmurphy reporting ACC likely going conference games only
Wouldn't it be funnier than hell if ACC tells Notre Dame - well you aren't a conference member for football - so, sorry - see ya next year :o

I know --- it won't happen
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:34 pm

Fauci, like “ the rest of the people in charge” are dealing with information that is valid one day, and out the window on another.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:38 pm

NashvilleNeer wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:26 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:09 pm
NashvilleNeer wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:
NashvilleNeer wrote:

You don't think Fauci has access to that same data? the issue is, he can't fully lead the nation on what to do because the rest of the people in charge will not let him.
Fauci doesn’t even follow his own advice regarding the mask. My issue is that he is exceedingly binary in his view and isn’t looking at the entire picture. That’s why I’m not listening to him.
Give 'em hell!

gsoappfan

Unread post by gsoappfan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:12 pm

booneboy92 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:22 pm
Don't know if this has been mentioned or thought about, but just occurred to me... if the Sun Belt (or all conferences) ditch OOC games, we wouldn't play football till Wednesday, Oct. 7 (at home against ULL)! 4 OOC's straight, followed with a bye week. This, of course, is assuming we play at all. I, personally, would rather have a full schedule with full attendance in the Spring, but realize there are all the logistical hurdles...
The whole schedule would more than likely be redone if it goes to conference only games. One option I read was having a 10 game schedule with with 3-4 bye weeks. This would allow adjustments during the year and allow players that get sick more recovery time without missing as many games.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:22 pm

booneboy92 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:22 pm
Much like NASCAR, I am guessing that you will see changing schedules that are released in one month increments with flexibility built in. You are most likely going to want to play all of the games between September 1 and Thanksgiving, before cold weather kicks in.
This is the time for C-USA and the Sun Belt to throw out the traditional conferences and put together an East and West grouping with 10 games in each group, with hopes of having a Championship Game or a 4 team playoff would be fun, but probably unrealistic.
Theoretically, you could bus trip to Coastal, Georgia and Charlotte, ODU, Marshall, WKU, and Middle Tennessee. If the long range games were either of the Florida schools, Troy, USA, or UAB, you get get in 10 games with minimized travel expenses. Would make a lot of sense for Basketball and other sports as well we decreased revenues. Just need a few leaders to accelerate the talks.

Final point, from other than a revenue standpoint, the Big 10 may have the geography that somewhat makes sense for a 10 game schedule. But the ACC, PAC, and especially the AAC are accomplishing vary little with a conference only schedule in regards to reducing travel. Additionally, the differing state policies in some of those states are going to create some major challenges.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”