Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wisconsin game in jeopardy

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wisconsin game in jeopardy

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:35 am

I think that you are focusing on end of world scenarios. It is simply a contract that wasn’t fulfilled. These issues should be settled out of court. But using your logic that a school like App could get blackballed for suing a P5 school; wouldn’t the same stigma be applied to a P5 that refuses to honor the effective cancellation of the contract? Your theory of collusion, while highly unlikely, cuts both ways.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:05 am

I wish it cut both ways but in the REAL world I don’t believe it does. In reality, we need them (P6) they do not need us (G5).

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:15 am

Is the lack of need the case? Wisky grosses $3 mil per home game. A G5 cost them half of one game’s gate receipts and gets them 7 home games a year. A home and home with another P5 gets them travel expenses. And given the BIG’s mandate for no FCS, waters down the pool of options.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:46 am

appchicago wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:01 am
I don’t care where the virus came from. The first confirmed case of the 1918 “Spanish Flu” was in Kansas. COVID has hit us harder than any other country, and that’s not magic. Trying to brand it in a way that shifts blame elsewhere ignores our failure to deal with this thing.

I hate that we’re not playing in Madison. I’ll be surprised if we play at all. It’s going to be hard to muster. Like a lot if you, I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to educate my kids in the fall while also listening to people talk about herd immunity and “low mortality rate,” ignoring that if we end up with millions more cases of this thing, that means tens or hundreds of thousands more deaths.

It’s a moving target. We don’t understand this thing. It’s new, and a lot of people are trying, but a new virus means we have a lot to learn. And things will continue to change. But at this point I believe there’s a portion of the population who won’t believe or do anything to change or stop this, no matter what we learn.
Totally agree with your post. The right wingers try to make out like it is nothing but the flu. Anyone pays attention to the health science aspect knows and believes this virus is much deadlier, painful, and more contagious than practically any evident in the past and it’s not just the old and compromised who are dying from or being maimed by it.
Last edited by NewApp on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:49 am

pop5app wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:05 am
I wish it cut both ways but in the REAL world I don’t believe it does. In reality, we need them (P6) they do not need us (G5).
Except for what they ASSUME is any easy win or tune up.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:08 am

pop5app wrote:
P6???? Really???

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:09 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:08 am
pop5app wrote:
P6???? Really???
I was thinking the same thing. Must be new around these parts! :D

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:45 am

appdaze wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:10 am
appst89 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:42 am
appdaze wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:31 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:20 am
appdaze wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:34 pm
If we take legal action of any kid we would permanently bury our program. We would be black balled into oblivion. You could go ahead and send us back to the FCS.
I have that same thought so I'm not saying it's wrong, but on the other hand, Arkansas State scheduled their Michigan game after their law suit against Miami.
Correct, but that was in 2018. This is 2020 during a pandemic. It would not be taken kindly right now if we were to do that.
A lot of athletic programs are going to be struggling to survive. I say that we do what we have to do.
A lot will be struggling that is 100% correct. If all the G5 and FCS school sue the P5 schools over the next couple months that would only further the divide between the groups. I could see future schools paying their way out of their contractual games to avoid potential lawsuits. If it comes to that then they just won't bother scheduling schools like us anymore. It won't be worth the risk. Our program isn't going anywhere. We have enough money to make it through this. In regards to this topic you can not sue and keep good relationships with other schools or you can risk your future scheduling abilities and sue for a one time payment. Every university is about to get budget cuts. Piling on to that is going to make us look terrible. Sometimes you need to keep the good relationships for future success over punching someone in the kidney to take a few bucks (and yes in the grand scheme of future years that 2 mil is a few bucks).
Then what's the point in even having a contract? The game isn't happening and we didn't cause it. There are remedies built into the contract for such an occurrence. I would hope it could be resolved without a lawsuit, but if it can't. then we need to do what has to be done.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:03 pm

appst89 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:45 am
appdaze wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:10 am
appst89 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:42 am
appdaze wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:31 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:20 am

I have that same thought so I'm not saying it's wrong, but on the other hand, Arkansas State scheduled their Michigan game after their law suit against Miami.
Correct, but that was in 2018. This is 2020 during a pandemic. It would not be taken kindly right now if we were to do that.
A lot of athletic programs are going to be struggling to survive. I say that we do what we have to do.
A lot will be struggling that is 100% correct. If all the G5 and FCS school sue the P5 schools over the next couple months that would only further the divide between the groups. I could see future schools paying their way out of their contractual games to avoid potential lawsuits. If it comes to that then they just won't bother scheduling schools like us anymore. It won't be worth the risk. Our program isn't going anywhere. We have enough money to make it through this. In regards to this topic you can not sue and keep good relationships with other schools or you can risk your future scheduling abilities and sue for a one time payment. Every university is about to get budget cuts. Piling on to that is going to make us look terrible. Sometimes you need to keep the good relationships for future success over punching someone in the kidney to take a few bucks (and yes in the grand scheme of future years that 2 mil is a few bucks).
Then what's the point in even having a contract? The game isn't happening and we didn't cause it. There are remedies built into the contract for such an occurrence. I would hope it could be resolved without a lawsuit, but if it can't. then we need to do what has to be done.
The point of a contract is to protect both parties under normal circumstances. This is not a normal circumstance. Suing them would be a PR nightmare. This is not a simple lets sue them and get our monies!! Hundreds of teams across the nation are in the same boat. If everyone sues what then? Why play a G5 school for an easy win when they could get sued? What you may end up seeing are extremely strict contracts in the future that crap on the lower school and are competently iron clad to any sort of payments in the event the contract breaks.

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/deter ... 9063a.html

“What are the additional effects of that coming into place? What’s that going to do? So I think that although it’s in the legal arena, I think there are a lot of societal issues that are going to have an influence in what happens in these situations.”

https://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/ ... utour.html

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:17 pm

What is so abnormal about this situation? They are playing games under the same conditions that are the cause for these OOC games to be canceled.

They play G5 teams because it allows them to get home gate receipts. They aren’t going to get pay games with other P5. They are going to get home and homes.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:25 pm

Wisconsin, Cut me a check for $375,000 and we will call it a day.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:39 pm

I think that it should be more. Take out the travel cost that we won’t incur and pay us the difference.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:49 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:03 pm

The point of a contract is to protect both parties under normal circumstances. This is not a normal circumstance. Suing them would be a PR nightmare. This is not a simple lets sue them and get our monies!! Hundreds of teams across the nation are in the same boat. If everyone sues what then? Why play a G5 school for an easy win when they could get sued? What you may end up seeing are extremely strict contracts in the future that crap on the lower school and are competently iron clad to any sort of payments in the event the contract breaks.

“What are the additional effects of that coming into place? What’s that going to do? So I think that although it’s in the legal arena, I think there are a lot of societal issues that are going to have an influence in what happens in these situations.”

If they had cancelled the whole season, then I might agree with you, but they didn't. They are still playing games, they just chose certain ones to cancel. For the record, I still think the whole season will get the axe, and then we will have to approach it differently.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:40 pm

appst89 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:49 pm
appdaze wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:03 pm

If they had cancelled the whole season, then I might agree with you, but they didn't. They are still playing games, they just chose certain ones to cancel. For the record, I still think the whole season will get the axe, and then we will have to approach it differently.
Agree. If they play, they must pay. Simple as that.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:52 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:39 pm
I think that it should be more. Take out the travel cost that we won’t incur and pay us the difference.
Is there any way we just agree on rescheduling? We have openings down the line and I would still like to play Wisconsin eventually. We have 2 OOC openings in 2025. I would love to have South Carolina and Wisconsin both on the same schedule. We also have an opening in 2026 where we have ECU and Charlotte on the schedule.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:00 pm

That’s the realistic answer , rescheduling. Win-win.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:59 pm

I'm pessimistic about a 2020 season but if Wisconsin plays a game of football in 2020, they either owe App the contract money or need to reschedule....period! Same goes for Weak.

These A5 programs already try to buy wins and pad their schedules with 7-8 home games in an "amateur" sport that is supposed to be equitable. If the A5 wants to break away then they can all play each other and only get 6 home games a year. The perennial A5 bottom feeders will sink lower after multiple 2-10 seasons leading to a loss of fan bases across the country and zero bowl games when they can't schedule the "cupcakes" to pad their records.

App will just end up back in the "FCS" with a bunch of like minded G5 schools. Playoff games against the likes of Boise, CSU, JMU, Marshall, Memphis, Montana, NDSU, SDSU, Toledo, UCF, USM, etc... works for me. Obviously this is not what I want to happen but to fear the loss of scheduling relationships over a program breaking a contract should not be a variable in the decision making process. App holding them accountable to said contract shows our program keeps its' word. If App allows them to break this contract with no repercussions, who's to say another program won't try it in the future and leave App short?
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:39 pm

Apparently the SEC ads are meeting in Birmingham today and I would assume they are going to release their plan. What are the chances the sunbelt does allow out of conference play? This in no part takes into account whether this is a good idea or not, but there are now several desirable matchups like Memphis that have week 2 openings. Could we see a schedule reshuffle for non conference games?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:12 pm

We are actively looking for a replacement game.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:37 pm

Our AD, DG is the best! Listen to this interview today.

https://www.sportshubtriad.com/the-driv ... sh-graham/
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”