Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Silver lining?

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Re: Silver lining?

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:12 pm

roachgone wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:42 pm
Well let’s see. Around 140,000 covid deaths. US population is roughly 330,000,000. 140000 is .04% of 330 million. Sorry it is 99.96 not 99.97. My bad.
Yeah...but no! So let’s assume there’s a football game, 2 teams and 30k fans on hand to watch and one guy leads the game in rushing...did he rush more than anyone on both teams competing totaling roughly 180 players? Or the teams competing plus the 30k fans? So you can’t add the entire unaffected population and then divide out the death total.
In short, you are wrong...not like...almost right...you are completely wrong. Now, as for scipio using young aged adults as stats...great but the point about spreaders is that they might easily and quickly spread this silent killer...and...and I live here in boone...so do my elderly folks whom I haven’t even touched since March 15th because I wanna keep them around. My sister tested positive here last week and was fairly careful. Now, I went to app and I tried to get into trouble more than most would ever experience. Do you think 18-23 year olds will practice safe social practices...hell no and there is very limited capacity at watauga hospital. If you think these kids will self police themselves, you probably think no one in east dorm ever smoked pot too.

roachgone
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by roachgone » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:55 pm

Ok how about these stats. 175 persons have died in the age 5 thru 24 age group. Roughly 140,000 have died from or “with” covid. That death rate for school age kids is .125%. So survival rate is 99.88% . Is that done correctly enough for you?If teachers have underlying health conditions don’t teach or wear a mask. All I’m saying is closing down schools is going to have long term unintended consequences. Most pediatricians agree. My daughter in law sister is 25 and recently got the virus. She had a 101 fever for two days and a dry cough for about four days and that was it. By the way she lives in Alabama and her parents who live in Greensboro got a certified letter from the Guildford co health department saying that they had received info of her illness and are counting her as a Guildford county covid cast. So she was counted twice. Good grief the stats for this are so screwed up and yet that is what decisions are being based on. Guess we just disagree. If you think shutting down schools for a survival rate of 99.88 % makes sense then we just have to agree to disagree.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:02 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:26 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:51 am
Ha - I thought the exact same thing ---
Wow! We agree on something. I...I’m not sure how to proceed. :lol:
Sports.... the great uniter.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:39 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:04 pm
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:47 pm
roachgone wrote:
Well let’s see. Around 140,000 covid deaths. US population is roughly 330,000,000. 140000 is .04% of 330 million. Sorry it is 99.96 not 99.97. My bad.
Please tell me you selected Appalachian State as your Yosef's Cabin school out of being a fan and not a current or former student.
09 = Ahole statement

Roachgone is statistically correct.

If you are afraid of getting sick, stay home and shut up....maybe some people will want to coach, play, watch, and financially support the game
Statistically they are 99+% of not having issues
Large part of being statistically correct is using the right statistics. Mathematically he is correct, but statistically he is incorrect. By his/her logic you'd have a 99.82% survival rate of beating cancer. You can't compare deaths be one virus/cancer to an entire population. Statistics and science don't work that way.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 pm

roachgone wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:55 pm
Ok how about these stats. 175 persons have died in the age 5 thru 24 age group. Roughly 140,000 have died from or “with” covid. That death rate for school age kids is .125%. So survival rate is 99.88% . Is that done correctly enough for you?If teachers have underlying health conditions don’t teach or wear a mask. All I’m saying is closing down schools is going to have long term unintended consequences. Most pediatricians agree. My daughter in law sister is 25 and recently got the virus. She had a 101 fever for two days and a dry cough for about four days and that was it. By the way she lives in Alabama and her parents who live in Greensboro got a certified letter from the Guildford co health department saying that they had received info of her illness and are counting her as a Guildford county covid cast. So she was counted twice. Good grief the stats for this are so screwed up and yet that is what decisions are being based on. Guess we just disagree. If you think shutting down schools for a survival rate of 99.88 % makes sense then we just have to agree to disagree.
No that's not done correctly enough. Now you are dividing the total number of deaths from the age 5-24 group into the total number of reported COVID deaths. That isn't telling you the survival rate of young people with COVID. That's telling you the distribution of victims. To get a true case fatality rate of ages 5-24, you'd want to divide the total number of reported deaths of the group by the total number of known infections from that group.

I would agree that given what we currently know, mortality rate for young people, especially with no underlying health problems, is likely very low. But there is still a concern that it could create many vectors which infect parents, teachers, grandparents, etc. You argue that teachers who are worried should stay home. That sounds very similar to arguments I hear saying that we should just keep the at-risk isolated and live our lives. The problem with that is if we allow the virus to run rampant, it will eventually affect people who need to isolate. Even if you lock down rest homes, the workers still have to go home. If the virus runs rampant, one will eventually bring it into the facility and you'll have yet another site that ends up killing dozens of elderly people.

I also agree closing schools for long periods will have adverse consequences. It's a very challenging decision especially given our current lack of initiative and support in controlling the virus. I think it's important to open schools but I'm not confident the current environment will allow that to be safe enough especially in certain areas of the country.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:58 pm

^^^^^Yeah..what he/she said^^^^^^

havefunkc

Unread post by havefunkc » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:17 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:24 pm
roachgone wrote:
Your math above is correct, I assume, but you are using the wrong numbers.

Not all of us have been exposed to SARS-CoV-2 so your math needs to not be 330 million but the number that have been exposed.

I would suggest you also add in those will have life long problems with their lungs and there have been some strokes reported in younger ages. Those may not be huge numbers and they are still living but both conditions can be life changing in themselves and in a severe manner at that.
Just asking - doesn't the very definition of "pandemic" support including the entire population number? "PANDEMIC: (of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world." - not just selected pieces of a population...
And I AM a Mountaineer!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:40 am

havefunkc wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:17 am
roachgone wrote:

Not all of us have been exposed to SARS-CoV-2 so your math needs to not be 330 million but the number that have been exposed.

I would suggest you also add in those will have life long problems with their lungs and there have been some strokes reported in younger ages. Those may not be huge numbers and they are still living but both conditions can be life changing in themselves and in a severe manner at that.
Just asking - doesn't the very definition of "pandemic" support including the entire population number? "PANDEMIC: (of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world." - not just selected pieces of a population...
When talking about survival rate, you can't include an entire population, because that would assume that the entire population has or has had the virus. If that were true then yes comparisons of total deaths to total population would make sense. Making false claims like roach did is what drives people to the beaches and not practice social distancing. Truth is, the chance for survival depends more on your health and body as well as the severity of the virus, not necessarily numbers. There have been people who thought they were in good health, but now are dead.

I wish things could go back to normal, I really do. I'd venture to say we all do. It's pretty shitty having no March Madness, a delay in NBA and NHL, no Masters, and now a threat of a condensed if any football season.

This needs to serve a lesson to people though, just because a state eases up on lock down type measures doesn't mean go out and be wreckless by not wearing a mask or give zero f**** for others around you.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:48 am

havefunkc wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:17 am
roachgone wrote:

You could certainly do whatever you want to do with the numbers but if you are looking at the entire population I think better wording could be used at minimum. While the pandemic is ongoing I do think a better number is to look at the cases and deaths and not the entire population. Mainly due to the fact that many of us may end up getting it still so to say we "survived" is a bit premature. If Covid did not spread so easily (I think this is where R-value discussion can take place.) looking at the entire population could make more sense, but since it does spread easier than other viruses there is a very good chance the numbers will change in cases and deaths.

I think these are great science and stat questions, and I am not a epidemiologist so there are better, much better, folks to address this. I do think dividing out by the entire population while this is very much ongoing is a bit misleading, in thinking about both problems and solutions to Covid.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:57 am

This thread made me think of the following quote:

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.” - Mark Twain

I'm not disputing anyone's statements or stats.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:09 am

roachgone wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:55 pm
Sorry guys, there are No and I mean No positives to no football!! Absolutely ridiculous. Poor high school seniors who have looked forward to this for years. All this closure for a virus with a 99.97 survival rate and active cases at Four one hundredth of One Percent!!This is really unbelievable.

Of those who contract COVID-19 over 4% die.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:10 am

Also, with a vaccine coming out eventually, the percentage rates will go down of course because although cases increase, deaths will fall significantly. I have hospital friends saying remdesiveer has been effective for people on ventilators. So that’s a great thing. Look, I was merely pointing out silver linings in this shitshow of 2020. I wanna watch a game from the 110...ogle cheerleaders, drink a bourbon, throw my beerhat, ogle cheerleaders, laugh and scream APP/STATE...and have the cheerleaders ogle me. Rinse, wash, repeat...

havefunkc

Unread post by havefunkc » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:54 am

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:40 am

When talking about survival rate, you can't include an entire population, because that would assume that the entire population has or has had the virus. If that were true then yes comparisons of total deaths to total population would make sense. Making false claims like roach did is what drives people to the beaches and not practice social distancing. Truth is, the chance for survival depends more on your health and body as well as the severity of the virus, not necessarily numbers. There have been people who thought they were in good health, but now are dead.
Legitimately I ask: So, it's not really a Pandemic after all? (And yes - I am not anywhere close to related to the medical profession...)
And I AM a Mountaineer!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:02 pm

PBR - most of us understand what you were saying - thanks
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:16 pm

havefunkc wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:54 am
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:40 am

Legitimately I ask: So, it's not really a Pandemic after all? (And yes - I am not anywhere close to related to the medical profession...)
There are specific guidelines on defines omething is a pandemic actually. I imagine there's a very good article on Wikipedia about what makes a pandemic a pandemic thoughl I have not looked.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Yosef77

Unread post by Yosef77 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:06 pm

It appears everyone on here is missing an important point. COVID-19 is still not understood like Cancer or the Flu. We still don't have anywhere near all the answers about the virus and therefore, nobody can say that if we go back to life before COVID-19 that the infection rate and deaf rate will not skyrocket. Can anyone assure me that if we don't wear masks in public and don't avoid large group that the deaf rate will not increase to 10% of the population (33 million)? There are still to many unknowns. For those who believe that 4 million cases of the virus is no big deal, I believe you are wrong. If a small 10% of those cases end up in the hospital that is 400,000 hospital beds which drastically overwhelms our healthcare system. How is that not serious enough for anyone?

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:10 pm

Yosef77 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:06 pm
It appears everyone on here is missing an important point. COVID-19 is still not understood like Cancer or the Flu. We still don't have anywhere near all the answers about the virus and therefore, nobody can say that if we go back to life before COVID-19 that the infection rate and deaf rate will not skyrocket. Can anyone assure me that if we don't wear masks in public and don't avoid large group that the deaf rate will not increase to 10% of the population (33 million)? There are still to many unknowns. For those who believe that 4 million cases of the virus is no big deal, I believe you are wrong. If a small 10% of those cases end up in the hospital that is 400,000 hospital beds which drastically overwhelms our healthcare system. How is that not serious enough for anyone?
Unfortunately there are way too many people who still consider this a hoax or greatly exaggerated problem created by the media to hurt trump ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:32 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:10 pm
Yosef77 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:06 pm
Unfortunately there are way too many people who still consider this a hoax or greatly exaggerated problem created by the media to hurt trump ---
Totally agree< WVAPPeer!
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”