Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App/CLT part 3

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: App/CLT part 3

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:41 am

I'm sure it's tough right now for DG and his peers, because they do need to be having these discussions today, but at the same time there are so many variables outside his control. He really can't commit to anything until he knows what Wake and the Sun Belt are going to do. And then you go to all this trouble, and most likely you play a couple games in empty stadiums before it all gets shut down anyway.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:45 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:38 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:24 am
Just play at Bank of America Stadium @ 50% capacity of 75,412. Would accommodate all who want to attend. Split the gate 60-40 App State due to average attendance and further travel distance.
IF fans are allowed to attend at all, I would be surprised if we are looking at 50% capacity. I'm not sure what the average size group (allowed to sit together) but picturing a model which allows 6 feet between groups is hard to imagine.
Here's an interesting (to me, anyway) article about teams using analytics software to optimize seating for social distancing: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sports-e ... UMLQ%3D%3D

Of course, this is from May, when people were at least somewhat more optimistic about how things might look in the fall. I think you're right, 50% isn't happening. At least not for long, probably not at all.

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:48 am

I'm for it. We need to play them and beat them regularly to keep an edge in recruiting.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:03 pm

Mask on and roll with it @ 50-100% capacity.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

gastonapp91

Unread post by gastonapp91 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:11 pm

The one positive on the UNCC game is the fact that Charlotte has the largest App alumni base in the state so we get good App attendance whether it's in Boone in Charlotte.

A little off topic and I will preface with the fact I haven't been able to confirm this anywhere.. My son is an incoming App freshman and one of his friends is a freshman at Campbell on the football team. He told my son earlier this week that they were informed they will be playing App in Boone on 9/4 as our replacement for the Morgan State game. Take it for what it's worth. :?:

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:18 pm

Neer86 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:48 am
I'm for it. We need to play them and beat them regularly to keep an edge in recruiting.
This is true but it doesn't have to be every year. We've beat them by over 7 touchdowns combined the last two years.

No reason to play them this year unless their is no other option.

I think DGs first priorities are (in regards to having a successful season):
1. Make sure we are WF +1. This is of course a no brainer since its only a 1 hour bus ride, but I think WF will do all they can to weasel out of this.
2. Find a P5 replacement for Wisconsin.
3. Failing 2, UNCC is fine, as is ECU.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:29 pm

biggie wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:08 am
If there are no fans allowed will teams prefer away games to possibly save money on facility costs?
I could see maybe adding the cost of travel to the cost of hosting and splitting in 1/2 or very close to half and make the home team go in 55% on expences since they are still home and that is some advantage even without fans.

I would see any games this year as not part of a home and home or future scheduling unless it was home and home this year which splits the cost evenly as possible since both schools would travel and host the same year with no fans.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:14 pm

I don’t think we should have a season if we really think it is unsafe for fans to attend an outside stadium with masks on.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:49 pm

Taking fans out of the debate on attending or not attending, I do not see value in playing UNC-C other than as a last resort. It only helps to make their program more legitimate even if they lose. They will recruit that they play tough teams like App. St. Within G5 world, is CUSA conference a better place to reside than Sunbelt over the longer term with teams that are in that conference. Seem to have more name recognition compared to teams in SB. As such, I would pass. I would rather play ECU, State, Dook or UNC...if possible..away at Va. Tech or the Wahoos.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:21 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:49 pm
Taking fans out of the debate on attending or not attending, I do not see value in playing UNC-C other than as a last resort. It only helps to make their program more legitimate even if they lose. They will recruit that they play tough teams like App. St. Within G5 world, is CUSA conference a better place to reside than Sunbelt over the longer term with teams that are in that conference. Seem to have more name recognition compared to teams in SB. As such, I would pass. I would rather play ECU, State, Dook or UNC...if possible..away at Va. Tech or the Wahoos.
We would all prefer to play a Prig5 school you listed and I would prefer ECU in the AAC over Charlotte but I think our options are going to be limited. Most don't seem to want to play more than 1 FCS even this year so pickings are getting slim.

I have said a few times and repeat- I think this is going to be all a moot point and all the scheduling is going to turn into discussions of what might have been. I do want to be wrong.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:16 am
We should schedule UNCC as often as possible, Covid or not. It’s good for North Carolina and the G5. I’m often torn about it because their fan base, small as it may be, is so out of touch, entitled and I feel like associating with App validates their otherwise bottom-tier program, but it’s just good business. Right down the street. Helps engage with our largest alumni group. No brainer. Doug should book it unless we can play a P5 that week and there aren’t any more date options.

Their fan base for hoop ball far exceeds ours. Just sayin'.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:08 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:21 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:49 pm
We would all prefer to play a Prig5 school you listed and I would prefer ECU in the AAC over Charlotte but I think our options are going to be limited. Most don't seem to want to play more than 1 FCS even this year so pickings are getting slim.

I have said a few times and repeat- I think this is going to be all a moot point and all the scheduling is going to turn into discussions of what might have been. I do want to be wrong.

I'm afraid you're right. Many health scientists are saying the pandemic will explode this Fall.
Google SUX

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:20 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm
Gonzo wrote:
We should schedule UNCC as often as possible, Covid or not. It’s good for North Carolina and the G5. I’m often torn about it because their fan base, small as it may be, is so out of touch, entitled and I feel like associating with App validates their otherwise bottom-tier program, but it’s just good business. Right down the street. Helps engage with our largest alumni group. No brainer. Doug should book it unless we can play a P5 that week and there aren’t any more date options.

Good thing we’re talking about football and overall fan base engagement.
Give 'em hell!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:23 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:03 pm
I'm thinking 0% to 25% if there are games at all.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:08 pm

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:23 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
I mean, professional baseball teams couldn't get through one weekend before they had to start cancelling games. Once students start returning to campus...

Let's just say I hope everyone enjoys that first game or two, if we make it that far.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:08 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:20 pm
NewApp wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm
Gonzo wrote:

Good thing we’re talking about football and overall fan base engagement.
We're talking about a lot of different things. Pandemics, masks, ECU, etc. Try to keep up.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:09 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Yep.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:14 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:08 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
I mean, professional baseball teams couldn't get through one weekend before they had to start cancelling games. Once students start returning to campus...

Let's just say I hope everyone enjoys that first game or two, if we make it that far.
If they have games on a Thursday somewhere and do testing of that game's players and fans there could be cancelling of games by that first Saturday.

I have absolutely no faith in the population of this country to do what needs to be done which is basically to wear a mask and wash their hands.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:41 pm

Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:14 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:08 pm
Appstate88 wrote:

If they have games on a Thursday somewhere and do testing of that game's players and fans there could be cancelling of games by that first Saturday.

I have absolutely no faith in the population of this country to do what needs to be done which is basically to wear a mask and wash their hands.
True
Google SUX

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 pm

I was hoping for a game with ECU. Charlotte really doesn't move the needle for me at the moment and we have everything to lose if they beat us. Then again any place, any time, anywhere as they say.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”