Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Update: ACC announces 10 game conference schedule with 1 OOC, SEC goes 10 game conference only

Neer86
School: Appalachian State

Update: ACC announces 10 game conference schedule with 1 OOC, SEC goes 10 game conference only

Unread post by Neer86 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:02 pm

Maybe we can get the Wake game back.

"The ACC Board of Directors voted Wednesday to proceed with an 11-game football season that begins the weekend of Sept. 12 and with Notre Dame playing a full league schedule, but only if public health guidance allows.

All ACC schools and Notre Dame will play 10 conference games plus one nonconference game of their choosing, and the Fighting Irish will be eligible for the ACC championship game. There will be no divisions for this season only.

The nonconference game must take place in the home state of the ACC institution, and all nonconference opponents must have met the medical protocol requirements as agreed upon by the ACC."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... notre-dame

update (also posted on page 3) According to SI.Com, SEC presidents have adopted a play to play a 10 game conference only schedule for the 2020 football season. The announcement means South Carolina will not face Clemson for the first time since 1908.
Last edited by Neer86 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AtlAppMan

Re: ACC announces 10 game conference schedule with one game allowed out of conference

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:06 pm

Maybe we can pick up another ACC opponent (or 3) in addition to Wake. We have 3 possibilities, UNC, Duke and State.

goapps93

Re: ACC announces 10 game conference schedule with one game allowed out of conference

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:09 pm

Neer86 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:02 pm

"The ACC Board of Directors voted Wednesday to proceed with an 11-game football season that begins the weekend of Sept. 12 and with Notre Dame playing a full league schedule, but only if public health guidance allows.

All ACC schools and Notre Dame will play 10 conference games plus one nonconference game of their choosing, and the Fighting Irish will be eligible for the ACC championship game. There will be no divisions for this season only.

The nonconference game must take place in the home state of the ACC institution, and all nonconference opponents must have met the medical protocol requirements as agreed upon by the ACC."

Did we ever officially lose the Wake game?
WE ARE YOSEF!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:17 pm

Neer86 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:02 pm

I think this probably is a big plus for APP vs. WF
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:20 pm

Wake has App, ODU and Villanova as OOC so they keep App.

NC State would have had all 4 OOC against out of state teams. They would have played Troy on Sept. 19 which is when our Wisconsin game got cancelled. That would be an immediate fit for both.

Duke has Charlotte on their schedule so they will probably keep them instead of getting beat bad by App.

Carolina has 3 OOC scheduled but all are out of state. They may also be viable if they want some strong competition.

So, we probably keep Wake and possibly pick up one ACC, maybe two if they really want to play serious competition.

I expect Gillin is on phone right now.
Draft Day.jpg

AppState005

Unread post by AppState005 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:33 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:20 pm

NC State would have had all 4 OOC against out of state teams. They would have played Troy on Sept. 19 which is when our Wisconsin game got cancelled. That would be an immediate fit for both.

Duke has Charlotte on their schedule so they will probably keep them instead of getting beat bad by App.

Carolina has 3 OOC scheduled but all are out of state. They may also be viable if they want some strong competition.

So, we probably keep Wake and possibly pick up one ACC, maybe two if they really want to play serious competition.
I believe the article is saying the games must take place in state, not necessarily featuring in state competition. Unless the SEC has the same policy, NC State will play Miss St. in Raleigh.

DontPlayWithYosef

Unread post by DontPlayWithYosef » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:44 pm

Well we are the defending state champs so bring it on!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:17 pm

Good news! Let’s get the Wake game moved to Saturday then. Matter of fact, all games this year should be played on Saturdays only. Gives All teams the best chance to manage COVID outbreaks with at least a 6 day break between games. No short weeks should be allowed.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:30 pm

I agree, no short weeks!
Bring Your A Game!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:38 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:17 pm
Good news! Let’s get the Wake game moved to Saturday then. Matter of fact, all games this year should be played on Saturdays only. Gives All teams the best chance to manage COVID outbreaks with at least a 6 day break between games. No short weeks should be allowed.
I agree but if ESPN is desperate for live events I could see then putting pressure on lots of schools and mentioning future negotiations as well to get what they want.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:48 pm

AppState005 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:33 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

I believe the article is saying the games must take place in state, not necessarily featuring in state competition. Unless the SEC has the same policy, NC State will play Miss St. in Raleigh.
I think you are reading that wrong. If that were the case why even change any of the games as they will all take place in one state or another. I’m pretty sure they are limiting the in state games to in state opponents to limit travel etc

postalapp90

Unread post by postalapp90 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:48 pm
AppState005 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

I think you are reading that wrong. If that were the case why even change any of the games as they will all take place in one state or another. I’m pretty sure they are limiting the in state games to in state opponents to limit travel etc
All non conference game opponents selected by the respective school must be played in the home state of the ACC institution. They are allowed to play anyone they can schedule as long as its a home game.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:58 pm

postalapp90 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
AppState005 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

All non conference game opponents selected by the respective school must be played in the home state of the ACC institution. They are allowed to play anyone they can schedule as long as its a home game.
So they can bring in a G5 school if the G5 school can themselves travel out of their own state. With so many FCS schools cancelling this would open up Elon and JMU as FCS teams that could come to an ACC school.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:00 pm

"All non conference game opponents selected by the respective school must be played in the home state of the ACC institution. They are allowed to play anyone they can schedule as long as its a home game."

In that case, could you perceive Wake playing Villanova instead of App? Easier opponent, and one FCS victory counts toward bowl eligibility (I think)???

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:29 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:00 pm
"All non conference game opponents selected by the respective school must be played in the home state of the ACC institution. They are allowed to play anyone they can schedule as long as its a home game."

In that case, could you perceive Wake playing Villanova instead of App? Easier opponent, and one FCS victory counts toward bowl eligibility (I think)???
How much do they pay Villanova To play $?

How much do they pay App State in the Home on Home deal? My guess $0.00. What do they owe us if they back out of the deal? IDK.

Would imagine limiting crowd size is another factor. Same number of fans allowed regardless of demand.

If they play App State 50/50 on a win. Villanova, guaranteed win. Hope they have the Gonads to take us on.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:45 pm

Both schools claim to be the best in the state. If they back down (because we won’t), they’ll have to live down their new-found reputation of being chicken.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:06 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:58 pm
postalapp90 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
AppState005 wrote:
AtlAppMan wrote:

So they can bring in a G5 school if the G5 school can themselves travel out of their own state. With so many FCS schools cancelling this would open up Elon and JMU as FCS teams that could come to an ACC school.
I’m maybe not understanding correctly. So no acc school will play oof away but can play oof from anywhere as long as it’s a home game. What am I missing? Does it matter at all from a transmission standpoint whether wake for example played AT say UConn vs UConn or an fcs team playing at wake. What I mean is why would it matter who the away opponent was? It’s not like the virus would stop at the state line because the game is at one school vs the other

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:15 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:06 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:58 pm
postalapp90 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
AppState005 wrote:

I’m maybe not understanding correctly. So no acc school will play oof away but can play oof from anywhere as long as it’s a home game. What am I missing? Does it matter at all from a transmission standpoint whether wake for example played AT say UConn vs UConn or an fcs team playing at wake. What I mean is why would it matter who the away opponent was? It’s not like the virus would stop at the state line because the game is at one school vs the other
I am thinking this might be due to budgets and the possibility of little to no fans to pay the visiting team at least travel costs. The Prig 5 schools, I am sure, feel they can convince an in-state FCS of G5 school to come and visit them just to have an opportunity to say they played an ACC school. If the out of state school is close enough the cost would not be much more for JMU to bus in and possibly back in one day.

EVERY decision from ESPN and the Prig 5 schools needs to be looked at through the lens of $. That is what drives these decisions in non-Covid years so why not that be the case now? If money was not driving the decisions but health and safety was the deciding factor then they would already be cancelling the season. I would not be surprised even if the discussion starts at health of the players but ends with , "And how much will it cost us to provide health care if the team contracts Covid?", which is back to $.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:20 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:29 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:00 pm

How much do they pay Villanova To play $?

How much do they pay App State in the Home on Home deal? My guess $0.00. What do they owe us if they back out of the deal? IDK.

Would imagine limiting crowd size is another factor. Same number of fans allowed regardless of demand.

If they play App State 50/50 on a win. Villanova, guaranteed win. Hope they have the Gonads to take us on.
I could see force majeure coming into effect if all OOC games are cancelled, but if Wake is going to play one OOC game and we are in-state I think it would be a lawsuit happening on that one if Wake instead played a team from out of state. Even without a payday from Wake due to us having a home-home and each keeping their own gate I would think we could claim loss of financial opportunities. Hopefully it does not come to that. The reality is that the stadium will be full up to whatever the capacity will be if we play them I would think. Wake may want/need the money.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:25 pm

WAKE will keep ND as OOC

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”