Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New face shields

WVAPPeer
School: Other

New face shields

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:29 pm

Wonder if App is looking at these? ---
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -covid-19/
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

BUTCH1991
School: Appalachian State

Re: New face shields

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:29 pm

I think they all need to wear them if they hope to play and continue to play

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:50 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:29 pm
Wonder if App is looking at these? ---
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -covid-19/
They've already got them but believe they need to have them fully installed. From what I've read they will all have to have them to play at all.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:47 pm

Seems prudent but I am just wondering how they keep from fogging up trapping all that vapor? I can fog up a face shield standing still using an angle grinder.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:00 pm

Helmets have better ventilation that allows hot air to escape. If they still had those solid domes we played with - heat problems waiting.
Bring Your A Game!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:15 am

Probably have to take the helmet off to squirt water in your mouth. It will be harder to communicate for sure.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:26 am

Have these been tested to see if they provide any protection or are these just a feel good measure. They cover more of the face than I thought they did at first glance, but will they provide enough protection for the close contact over extended plays for the linemen and the players in the mass that becomes a team tackle with 3/4 of the players on the field are involved in pushing the ball forward or backward a few inches.

If we went with no fans or very few fans then social distancing could be maintained in that part of the stadium. With our wider field the players could spread out a bit when not on the field though when different sides huddle up on the sideline for coaching that could be a problem.

My concern with football has been the lines crashing together. That is pretty close contact. Will the shields provide enough protection from airborne virus and allowing cooling and though I am not concerned with my own breathing in a mask I am not physically exerting myself as a football player would be during the game. The breathing part seems to be good on the masks but the better that is for them the less potential protection from airborne particles.

Maybe I am being a bit too cynical today but I hope this is not a feel good measure just to get the young men on the field so we can balance the athletic budget that includes a ton of people making a ton of money.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:52 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:26 am
Have these been tested to see if they provide any protection or are these just a feel good measure. They cover more of the face than I thought they did at first glance, but will they provide enough protection for the close contact over extended plays for the linemen and the players in the mass that becomes a team tackle with 3/4 of the players on the field are involved in pushing the ball forward or backward a few inches.

If we went with no fans or very few fans then social distancing could be maintained in that part of the stadium. With our wider field the players could spread out a bit when not on the field though when different sides huddle up on the sideline for coaching that could be a problem.

My concern with football has been the lines crashing together. That is pretty close contact. Will the shields provide enough protection from airborne virus and allowing cooling and though I am not concerned with my own breathing in a mask I am not physically exerting myself as a football player would be during the game. The breathing part seems to be good on the masks but the better that is for them the less potential protection from airborne particles.

Maybe I am being a bit too cynical today but I hope this is not a feel good measure just to get the young men on the field so we can balance the athletic budget that includes a ton of people making a ton of money.
Any company that puts it's name and reputation on the line with a "feel good" product during a pandemic that has claimed 155,000+ deaths in the USA since 2/1/2020 will be in financial and legal ruins on or before 2/1/2021.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:01 pm

asu66 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:52 pm

Any company that puts it's name and reputation on the line with a "feel good" product during a pandemic that has claimed 155,000+ deaths in the USA since 2/1/2020 will be in financial and legal ruins on or before 2/1/2021.
I would not be so sure of that. Though the athletes are not considered employees and therefore OSHA type things do not apply I know one of the provisions of the next possible round of stimulus checks (and this is being reported as a line in the sand for Sen. McConnell R-KY) is employer immunity from lawsuits from employees if the employee contracts Covid-19. From what I have read there are plans to amend ADA, OSHA, FLSA, and one other law through 2024 to make lawsuits from employees much much harder to get through the courts and the court filings will be mandated to be in federal court, which is much more expensive to deal with than state level courts.

I think it is very possible that a "feel good" (I could have likely used better words in my original post but that is all I could come up with at the time.) product could very easily be on the market and used. Given how college athletes are treated now I doubt they are going to be better standing than actual employees will be. Some small lawyer talk label "(Not guaranteed to prevent the spread of Covid-19") would likely go a long way in suppressing legal action.

Hopefully these shields do work.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:04 pm

Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:01 pm
asu66 wrote:

I would not be so sure of that. Though the athletes are not considered employees and therefore OSHA type things do not apply I know one of the provisions of the next possible round of stimulus checks (and this is being reported as a line in the sand for Sen. McConnell R-KY) is employer immunity from lawsuits from employees if the em'ployee contracts Covid-19. From what I have read there are plans to amend ADA, OSHA, FLSA, and one other law through 2024 to make lawsuits from employees much much harder to get through the courts and the court filings will be mandated to be in federal court, which is much more expensive to deal with than state level courts.

I think it is very possible that a "feel good" (I could have likely used better words in my original post but that is all I could come up with at the time.) product could very easily be on the market and used. Given how college athletes are treated now I doubt they are going to be better standing than actual employees will be. Some small lawyer talk label "(Not guaranteed to prevent the spread of Covid-19") would likely go a long way in suppressing legal action.

I join you in the hope that the shields work. So far, McConnell's "advance team" has drawn only icy stares and caustic remarks from Pelosi--unless they came up with something she liked in today's session. I look for her to
keep stringing stimulus decisions out for another week or two.
Last edited by asu66 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:07 pm

huskie3 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:00 pm
Helmets have better ventilation that allows hot air to escape. If they still had those solid domes we played with - heat problems waiting.
My face shield does not have a cap of any type. I just don't see how it can work, but I hope it can.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:49 pm

asu66 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:04 pm
asu66 wrote:

I would not be so sure of that. Though the athletes are not considered employees and therefore OSHA type things do not apply I know one of the provisions of the next possible round of stimulus checks (and this is being reported as a line in the sand for Sen. McConnell R-KY) is employer immunity from lawsuits from employees if the em'ployee contracts Covid-19. From what I have read there are plans to amend ADA, OSHA, FLSA, and one other law through 2024 to make lawsuits from employees much much harder to get through the courts and the court filings will be mandated to be in federal court, which is much more expensive to deal with than state level courts.

I join you in the hope that the shields work. So far, McConnell's "advance team" has drawn only icy stares and caustic remarks from Pelosi--unless they came up with something she liked in today's session. I look for her to
keep stringing stimulus decisions out for another week or two.
I am trying to not get to deep into politics here less the thread ends up where so many have gone before. The part I was writing about has not gotten much any news time outside of a few sources. (I read about this in the LA TImes newspaper via another website.) It will be very easy to bury this in the stimulus package and the Dems will not fight it as the bigger issue to them will be getting money onto peoples hands to pay for rent and food and such.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:25 pm

asu66 wrote:

I would not be so sure of that. Though the athletes are not considered employees and therefore OSHA type things do not apply I know one of the provisions of the next possible round of stimulus checks (and this is being reported as a line in the sand for Sen. McConnell R-KY) is employer immunity from lawsuits from employees if the employee contracts Covid-19. From what I have read there are plans to amend ADA, OSHA, FLSA, and one other law through 2024 to make lawsuits from employees much much harder to get through the courts and the court filings will be mandated to be in federal court, which is much more expensive to deal with than state level courts.

If I read correctly your article mentioned employee law suits. Those face shields would be manufacturer suit if they do not work? But every time there is a crisis there is some knee jerk feel good solution.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”