Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Schedule

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Re: Schedule

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:54 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:14 pm
Guys,

I want football as well but will we make money off these games? I don't see why play them just to break even, if that. Would the cost of putting on a game and paying them truly be worth the money we can make from say 10k fans?

Also, if we play teams like L-R, Campbell, GW to start the season then I would not blame our seniors for saying they won't play and will return in 2021. Playing those games will not help us with the NY6 and beating them 50-0 won't put us in the top 25. This is the team that is good enough to make a NY6 Bowl but with teams like that there is no way we will. Going 12-0 means no thing if you blame Sisters of the Poor and Blind every week.
Also, if we play teams like L-R, Campbell, GW to start the season then I would not blame our seniors for saying they won't play and will return in 2021.

I seriously doubt that we would have the monetary resources to bring back that big class of football seniors for an extra semester. If we do that, Title IX kicks in and we have to treat Volleyball, Women's Soccer, Womens Cross Country and Field Hockey the same way. That's cutting another team and more furloughs and...sadly...RIP App State Athletics!

On second thought, I'm not certain a senior who refused to represent his team and his university would be allowed to return. That player or those players would probably be promptly referred to the Transfer Portal.
Last edited by asu66 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:59 pm

It's pretty sad that given the circumstances in the world people are legit bitching about a possible FCS or D2 opponent on the schedule. It's not like it will become the norm. I know we're far better as a program than when we were FCS, but let's not become a shitty fan base. If it means the likes of ZT, Sutton, and Hennigan get a senior season, I don't care who we play. It's pretty selfish given the times to complain about much of anything.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:04 pm

asu66 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:54 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Guys,

I want football as well but will we make money off these games? I don't see why play them just to break even, if that. Would the cost of putting on a game and paying them truly be worth the money we can make from say 10k fans?

Also, if we play teams like L-R, Campbell, GW to start the season then I would not blame our seniors for saying they won't play and will return in 2021. Playing those games will not help us with the NY6 and beating them 50-0 won't put us in the top 25. This is the team that is good enough to make a NY6 Bowl but with teams like that there is no way we will. Going 12-0 means no thing if you blame Sisters of the Poor and Blind every week.
Also, if we play teams like L-R, Campbell, GW to start the season then I would not blame our seniors for saying they won't play and will return in 2021.

I seriously doubt that we would have the monetary resources to bring back that big class of football seniors for an extra semester. If we do that, Title IX kicks in and we have to treat Volleyball, Women's Soccer, Womens Cross Country and Field Hockey the same way. That's cutting another team and more furloughs and...sadly...RIP App State Athletics!
I would normally say that would be held against us but rumors are that the NCAA would give waivers and would not count. If they don't then it could work. I don't think every senior would even come back. My hope is that we just play SBC games so we are at least playing for something that matters.

My ultimate fear is that someone like ZT or Sutton gets injured and hurts their pro chances and/or we see season cancelled after just a few weeks and all we did was essentially play a schedule we could have stayed in FCS to play.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:59 pm
It's pretty sad that given the circumstances in the world people are legit bitching about a possible FCS or D2 opponent on the schedule. It's not like it will become the norm. I know we're far better as a program than when we were FCS, but let's not become a shitty fan base. If it means the likes of ZT, Sutton, and Hennigan get a senior season, I don't care who we play. It's pretty selfish given the times to complain about much of anything.
I'm actually thinking about the players. If you are Hennigan you are excited about Wake Forest, Wisconsin, a SBC title, etc. He will likely play for just one half in a bloody beat-down of an inferior team while risking health in a pandemic. I just don't see the benefit for him. I would not mind these games if I was guaranteed we finish the year but I don't think we will finish it.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:16 pm

NewApp wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:41 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:33 pm
NewApp wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:23 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Guys,

I want football as well but will we make money off these games? With very limited capacity I can't imagine a gate that is very lucrative and worth the risks.

I also wonder about the impact of agents and others pointing out how those games won't help the stock of our guys. They likely encourage them to sit out and return or prepare for the draft like Caleb Farley did. If we play teams like L-R, Campbell, GW to start the season then I would not blame our seniors for saying they won't play and will return in 2021.

As far as team goals, playing those games will not help us with the NY6 and beating them 50-0 won't put us in the top 25. Going 12-0 means nothing if you blame Sisters of the Poor and Blind every week.
With a new untried head coach, what makes you think we are NY6 level team this year? Just asking.
Clark was the interim against MTSU and looked really good as the head man in that game. We also had a new untried coach in 2019 and went 13-1. The majority of that team is back and we return a star QB, great OL, and a ton of clearly future All-SBC guys on defense to replace the losses like Jackson, Hampton, Huff, etc.

I'm clearly not insane on this thought process because a few publications have us in the top 25. I'm not saying this team is top 25 or that we will go to a NY6 but these seniors deserve the chance to play for it with how we have built this program but playing those schools will not give us that chance.
Drinkwitz came from a G-5 program.
NC State =G-5 ???

BurkeGrad

Unread post by BurkeGrad » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:18 pm

Will be fortunate to play one or two games. With students coming in next week and classes beginning the following week there’s enough time for COVID-19 to spread across campus by early September. I don’t foresee 18+ age college students wearing masks and social distancing. It’s a herd mentality, can’t just go out alone or in pairs. Freshmen away from home and turned loose in a college town is a recipe for crisis in these times.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm
I'm actually thinking about the players. If you are Hennigan you are excited about Wake Forest, Wisconsin, a SBC title, etc. He will likely play for just one half in a bloody beat-down of an inferior team while risking health in a pandemic. I just don't see the benefit for him. I would not mind these games if I was guaranteed we finish the year but I don't think we will finish it.
I'm sure Hennigan was very much looking forward to the big games. Hell, we all were, but I'm sure at this point he is just hopeful for a season and the ability to do what seniors this past years winter and spring sports, and that's just to play. I do think the Sun Belt should modify scheduling to help ensure we can spread games put and have a full season.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:26 pm

Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm
I'm sure Hennigan was very much looking forward to the big games. Hell, we all were, but I'm sure at this point he is just hopeful for a season and the ability to do what seniors this past years winter and spring sports, and that's just to play. I do think the Sun Belt should modify scheduling to help ensure we can spread games put and have a full season.
Best way to do this is go SBC schedule only and spread the season out over 14 weeks or so. This way we don't play Campbell and then have a breakout and have to miss Ga State the next week, for example. We won't see a full season though. You can bet on that.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:28 pm

BurkeGrad wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:18 pm
Will be fortunate to play one or two games. With students coming in next week and classes beginning the following week there’s enough time for COVID-19 to spread across campus by early September. I don’t foresee 18+ age college students wearing masks and social distancing. It’s a herd mentality, can’t just go out alone or in pairs. Freshmen away from home and turned loose in a college town is a recipe for crisis in these times.
I'm thinking the same thing. I thought players would be smarter after seeing the early positive tests but they are not. We will be lucky to play even one. I think we are wasting time even scheduling these games. Those teams will want the game moved to another year if we can't play this year and I have no desire to play them. We will see pro games but we really need to play the SBC, at most. Even if our players are smart you know the entire teams everywhere else won't be. There will be hiccups along the way.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:29 pm

It seems from a geographic standpoint playing western and Etsu would make waaaay more sense than say Campbell for example.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:30 pm

The Seniors would get waivers, but that doesn’t excuse the cost of the scholarship. Aside from the scholarship, you have to factor in all of the ancillary cost of attendance. Nutrition, academic support. Each full scholarship has a sticker cost of around $40k per student athlete. Multiply that by 25 and that is a hefty amount of scratch for the AD to come up with.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:08 pm

SpeedkingATL wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:16 pm
NewApp wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:41 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:33 pm
NewApp wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:23 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Guys,

I want football as well but will we make money off these games? With very limited capacity I can't imagine a gate that is very lucrative and worth the risks.

I also wonder about the impact of agents and others pointing out how those games won't help the stock of our guys. They likely encourage them to sit out and return or prepare for the draft like Caleb Farley did. If we play teams like L-R, Campbell, GW to start the season then I would not blame our seniors for saying they won't play and will return in 2021.

As far as team goals, playing those games will not help us with the NY6 and beating them 50-0 won't put us in the top 25. Going 12-0 means nothing if you blame Sisters of the Poor and Blind every week.
With a new untried head coach, what makes you think we are NY6 level team this year? Just asking.
Clark was the interim against MTSU and looked really good as the head man in that game. We also had a new untried coach in 2019 and went 13-1. The majority of that team is back and we return a star QB, great OL, and a ton of clearly future All-SBC guys on defense to replace the losses like Jackson, Hampton, Huff, etc.

I'm clearly not insane on this thought process because a few publications have us in the top 25. I'm not saying this team is top 25 or that we will go to a NY6 but these seniors deserve the chance to play for it with how we have built this program but playing those schools will not give us that chance.
Drinkwitz came from a G-5 program.
NC State =G-5 ???
Woops. I meant P-5..higher level
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 pm

Sucks. Really wanted that Wake game to happen while this group was together and we're the clear favorite. Any other ACC schools with an opening?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:13 pm

NashvilleNeer wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 pm
Sucks. Really wanted that Wake game to happen while this group was together and we're the clear favorite. Any other ACC schools with an opening?
We aren’t going to get a P-5 to play us this year.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:16 pm

NashvilleNeer wrote:
I was about to say same thing Appst94 said. No P5 this year and it would not shock me if we don't see any G5 games at all.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:28 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:06 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:49 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:46 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 pm
If what I'm hearing is true, fans won't be happy... Terrible way to send the seniors off. No way we get to NY6 with these games..

I haven't confirmed what I'm hearing is true. Have some feelers out though.
Why post this?
Why not? Quite frankly it's because I'm extremely disappointed if it's true. If you don't like it, don't read it.

If you're upset about the posting of something vague, you shouldn't have continued reading after the first post.
Change your username to "AppStateSpeculation" please
As soon as you change yours to AppUnleaded...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:08 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:28 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:06 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:49 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:46 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 pm
If what I'm hearing is true, fans won't be happy... Terrible way to send the seniors off. No way we get to NY6 with these games..

I haven't confirmed what I'm hearing is true. Have some feelers out though.
Why post this?
Why not? Quite frankly it's because I'm extremely disappointed if it's true. If you don't like it, don't read it.

If you're upset about the posting of something vague, you shouldn't have continued reading after the first post.
Change your username to "AppStateSpeculation" please
As soon as you change yours to AppUnleaded...
Pfft, weak
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:25 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:16 pm
NashvilleNeer wrote:
I was about to say same thing Appst94 said. No P5 this year and it would not shock me if we don't see any G5 games at all.
yeah, it sure seems that way as of now. I'm guessing UNC & UCF will more than likely cancel from what i'm hearing, so wish we could get that UCF open game, but seems doubtful. Just hoping we can get a season at this point though

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:30 pm

NashvilleNeer wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:25 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:16 pm
NashvilleNeer wrote:
yeah, it sure seems that way as of now. I'm guessing UNC & UCF will more than likely cancel from what i'm hearing, so wish we could get that UCF open game, but seems doubtful.
This would be the best game we could get if we can make it happen. I rather play UCF, even in Orlando, than any FCS or D2. We could make a huge statement with a win against them.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:33 pm

I was just reading the thread about the Wake game being canceled and seeing fans are understandably upset. I just know how passionate our fan base is (again, not a bad thing). It will upset a lot of fans.

There are three (as of now) OOC games to be scheduled with the news of Wake. At least one of the current options will likely be disheartening. There are currently two options being discussed that would appeal to fans with only one being likely due to others schedules. This leaves us with likely two depressing options (i.e. regional FCS opponents)

No blame to DG at all as I know he and the staff are working extra hard right now to make things work. The bottom line is the P5 options just won't happen this year. They are also facing financial difficulties (albeit, not as harsh) and paying us to potentially beat them in an empty stadium makes zero sense.

This is not to say it's the wrong thing to do.

It's going to make our seniors make a difficult decision on if it's worth playing this year or sitting out per the NCAA ruling today.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”