Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Football... or Maybe Not

CharleyHustle
School: Appalachian State

Football... or Maybe Not

Unread post by CharleyHustle » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:11 pm

https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... 150053433/

Sounds like the 2020 season is seriously in doubt unless it is moved to Spring 2021. If the P5 decides to cancel the Sun Belt will have no choice but to follow. According to the report, a decision will be made very soon.

mountaineerman

Re: Football... or Maybe Not

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:58 pm

Charley I’ve been one to say it’s going to happen. too much money and people involved not to. I will say this it’s not going to happen.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:00 pm

Trying to put aside emotions.

There is honestly no way football will be played in the spring. I don’t know why they don’t at least start it this fall.

So seriously what happens? Do seniors leave/redshirt? Do we have more scholarships allowed? We (all D1) are recruiting a whole class of kids to add to the kids that we just brought in. Do we (again everyone, we aren’t alone) just pay for kids to attend without fulfilling any obligations to play their sport? How will we evaluate talent for the following class? Will schools want to offer scholarships if they aren’t sure we will play? Will schools be able to afford to?

How will NFL determine who they can/should draft? Will they want to draft someone in 1st round who they haven’t seen play in 2 years? Just a sport, but their are some serious economics at play now both individual with kids and at the enterprise level with schools and teams.

Yikes!

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:34 pm

Okay so i have been thinking about this very hard.
I want there to be football. I love football. Most importantly I love App Football. That’s why I want to postpone the season due to a few reasons & under certain situations.
Hear me out.

Reasons to postpone:
1. NO ONE wants to play App State - Schedules are going out of the window. Teams are limited to mostly conference games and can basically schedule anyone for their non conference game (I.e. the ACC). Liberty gets 3 ACC games, Charlotte gets 2 and App can’t get even 1? (Holding out slim hope for Clemson) It’s clear why no one wants to play us.

2. This is the one of the best squads in recent memory - I am a young buck so I can’t speak to the entirety of App’s history, but in recent FBS years, this is arguably the best team we have had. Especially on offense. I would honestly hate to waste this team on a conference only schedule and only play Charlotte or some lower level non-conference teams.

3. The Football experience - let’s be real, if there is football this fall, it won’t be the same. I’m not sure how I feel about that. Capacity, Tailgating, Yelling, Lines, bathrooms, buses, etc.. who knows what kind of restrictions there may be.

Stipulations to Postpone:

1. Funding from the Federal, State, & Local Government - If football and other sports are postponed, there MUST be financial support from the government and other outside sources to keep programs afloat. This means retaining scholarships, salaries, and funding for the surplus of additional scholarships added.

2. Automatic Extra year of eligibility - My proposal would be to act as if 2020 is just removed from the calendar. As if it never happened. Everyone keeps their scholarships, and eligibility. Incoming recruits come in as normal with their scholarship offers. *This is where government funding comes into play and is crucial*.

3. Play the originally agreed upon schedules when play resumes - Going back to point #2, act as if this is just a temporary blip in the radar and continue business as usual. Everyone extends their games a year into the future to play the original schedules.

Perhaps this is me dreaming, stuck in a fantasy football land. More than likely this won’t happen. It’s very clear though, upper echelon G5 teams such as App are tremendously under served this season if it is played. No one wants to schedule a potential loss. They would schedule a guaranteed win and honestly I can’t blame them. Just my thoughts. Thank you.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:31 pm

The reason to postpone is for common decency and caring for our fellow people. The focus keeps landing on the death toll. Its small. What is not being talked about enough are the health issues those who "survived" are still suffering from. Everything from kidney and heart problems, to neurological problems causing strokes, memory loss, and loss of smell/taste. Now that its been around for almost 5 months, people have been tracked for longer periods of time. This time has shown that the current 14 days is not enough to fully recover for those that get hit hard. Many still showed signed of neurological damage on CT scans 2-3 months after they contracted the virus. This is not the first time we have seen this either. Long term issues followed the Spanish flu and H1N1. People of all ages are having issues. The focus continues to be on the small percentage of deaths. The real focus should be on the millions that contract it and live with the aftermath.

The one and only reason they want to play......$$$$$$$

App will go as the Sun Belt goes. No one will be playing football this fall. As schools across the nation are starting to open we are already seeing spikes beginning.

The unfortunate part is that it became politicized. A virus doesn't give a damn who anyone votes for. This is incredibly unfortunate because in the long run its going to affect almost everyone in some way whether it be a death in the family or someone close becomes sick and never fully recovers. I hate that for America that we can't even work together well enough to combat a nasty virus.

If high schools and colleges play sports this academic year at all it will just go to show how little they truly care about the well being of the athletes and what matters most to them.

I'm a die hard sports nut. Binders full of sports cards. Signed memorabilia. Ticket stub collections and picture collections from a number of arenas/ballparks. The works. Sports just don't need to happen right now. That pains me to say, but its the truth from my perspective.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:46 am

I hate it for the kids, the fans and the overall fit that Fall is the time of year when leaves change and college football rules. Not sure of how to answer the question of saving or recapturing a lost season as so many have talked about leading up to this, but I must say throwing money at it from the government doesn't sound like the answer. College tuituion is already through the roof. Football, like so many other businesses, isn't too big to fail. Just like we've seen in the past, the big boys always get the bailouts, while the smaller entities die on the vine. Unfortunately we aren't the big boys in this case. Not getting political and don't want a debate. Im just saying I think we won't like how that route ends for our beloved Alma Mater.

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 am

of course, if the P5's don't play, but the Sun Belt does, it would mean an incredible amount of exposure, and television money, for an audience craving football.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:40 am

appdaze wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:31 pm
The reason to postpone is for common decency and caring for our fellow people. The focus keeps landing on the death toll. Its small. What is not being talked about enough are the health issues those who "survived" are still suffering from. Everything from kidney and heart problems, to neurological problems causing strokes, memory loss, and loss of smell/taste. Now that its been around for almost 5 months, people have been tracked for longer periods of time. This time has shown that the current 14 days is not enough to fully recover for those that get hit hard. Many still showed signed of neurological damage on CT scans 2-3 months after they contracted the virus. This is not the first time we have seen this either. Long term issues followed the Spanish flu and H1N1. People of all ages are having issues. The focus continues to be on the small percentage of deaths. The real focus should be on the millions that contract it and live with the aftermath.

App will go as the Sun Belt goes. No one will be playing football this fall. As schools across the nation are starting to open we are already seeing spikes beginning.

The unfortunate part is that it became politicized. A virus doesn't give a damn who anyone votes for. This is incredibly unfortunate because in the long run its going to affect almost everyone in some way whether it be a death in the family or someone close becomes sick and never fully recovers. I hate that for America that we can't even work together well enough to combat a nasty virus.

If high schools and colleges play sports this academic year at all it will just go to show how little they truly care about the well being of the athletes and what matters most to them.

I'm a die hard sports nut. Binders full of sports cards. Signed memorabilia. Ticket stub collections and picture collections from a number of arenas/ballparks. The works. Sports just don't need to happen right now. That pains me to say, but its the truth from my perspective.

appdaze. Finally we agree on something whole heartedly.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:27 am

NewApp wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:40 am
appdaze wrote:

This is not intended to be argumentative. Another thought is: will the virus go away if football isn’t played.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:41 am

The SEC ACC Big 10 etc etc .... are just waiting for the GAS Countdown to reach 25 DAYS left before they pull the plug.

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:18 am

I would think if the season is canceled and the campus is open, the players will take more risks because they don't need to preserve their health for football. Like pop5app eludes- the virus will not go away if football is canceled.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:19 am

pop5app wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:27 am
NewApp wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:40 am
appdaze wrote:

This is not intended to be argumentative. Another thought is: will the virus go away if football isn’t played.
Not like unless you believe the politicians who say its just about trying to bring down Trump. Point is it definitely WILL NOT. It may be here for a long long time.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:34 am

Big Ten reportedly cancelling the Fall Football Season.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 332277001/

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:03 pm

From Harbaugh - Michigan - today ESPN

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh released a statement Monday advocating for the college football season to go on as planned.

"I would like to address the rumors that are swirling today," Harbaugh said in the statement. "I'm not advocating for football this fall because of my passion or our players desire to play but because of the facts accumulated over the last eight weeks since our players returned to campus on June 13."

EDITOR'S PICKS

Sources: Power 5 talking about no fall football

College football stars further unite in video call
Harbaugh's statement comes after commissioners of the Power 5 conferences held an emergency meeting on Sunday because of growing concerns among college athletics officials that the upcoming fall sports can't be played because of the coronavirus pandemic.

In the statement, Harbaugh makes a case for why a season could still safely go on, which includes the program having zero positive tests out of the last 353 administered, zero positive tests among the coaches or staff over the entire eight weeks of testing, following CDC guidelines and "self‐implemented stricter standards for contacting tracing in quarantining to prevent spread."

"We have developed a great prototype for how we can make this work and provide the opportunity for players to play. If you are transparent and follow the rules, this is how it can be done."

"I am forever proud of our players, parents, coaches and staff for being leaders and role models in our sport, at our institution and in society. We will continue to follow all health and safety guidelines, teach, train, and coach those young men and their families that have put their trust in us, while advocating for a football season in the fall."

Harbaugh ended the statement with the hashtags, "#WEWANTTOPLAY" and "#WEWANTTOCOACH" in support of the players who came together Sunday night to create a joint statement that expressed their desire to play the 2020 season.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:22 pm

Brett McMurphy
@Brett_McMurphy
Dan Patrick reports Big Ten had internal vote & by 12-2 margin, league members opted on not having a fall football season. Nebraska & Iowa were only schools that voted to play this fall, @dpshow said. Patrick said Big Ten & Pac-12 would cancel fall seasons Tuesday

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”