Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Let's Go Ahead and Face It

Appstate88
School: Appalachian State

Re: Let's Go Ahead and Face It

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:08 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:38 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:24 pm
We need to play the season. Otherwise explain to players why people still go to work, stores, vacations, protests, and rallies etc... More than 800,000 Are traveling in US airplanes every day. If we can do these things we can play football.
My classroom is empty but for me most of the time and even tomorrow students will be walking through to get books and then walking out the side door. In Costco today I was keeping a distance. The numbers at protests and rallies that I support have mostly had masks on. And all of the above should be done with masks on and for me it certainly was. And people are getting Covid and they are dying also. If I tackle any students tomorrow I will likely be fired and more. There will be no huddle and a ton of humans piled on top of each other after chasing someone carrying the skin of a swine in my classroom even after Covid and certainly not now with Covid.
Understand MAF. Just like back in the days of the Spanish Flu (1918), the morale of our country would benefit from 🏈 . https://www.si.com/college/tmg/tony-bar ... panish-flu
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:11 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
We need to play the season. Otherwise explain to players why people still go to work, stores, vacations, protests, and rallies etc... More than 800,000 Are traveling in US airplanes every day. If we can do these things we can play football.
My classroom is empty but for me most of the time and even tomorrow students will be walking through to get books and then walking out the side door. In Costco today I was keeping a distance. The numbers at protests and rallies that I support have mostly had masks on. And all of the above should be done with masks on and for me it certainly was. And people are getting Covid and they are dying also. If I tackle any students tomorrow I will likely be fired and more. There will be no huddle and a ton of humans piled on top of each other after chasing someone carrying the skin of a swine in my classroom even after Covid and certainly not now with Covid.

Exactly which protests? They are protests for about 10 minutes, then turn into full fledged riots...what 27 cops injured in the latest quote, unquote, peaceful protest? Sometimes 10's millions of dollars worth of property burned, destroyed, or vandalized. Some of it, that of their own people's. Helps their cause not one bit. In fact, it kills the support.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:15 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:36 pm
Im going to catch heat for saying this...

Yall sound so defeated and negative. You are the nail not the hammer right now. The ADs that have shut down football appear the same way. Adapt and prevail. We've been doing it since March. The kids want to play, we want to watch. The players basically live in a bubble in the fall each year so how much harder can it be to take a couple extra steps to keep them safe? Answer: it wouldnt be hard. It would cost money. And the decision makers dont want to spend it.

The NCAA, ESPN, ABC, Fox, make so much money each weekend off the backs of unpaid, exploited young men they could pony up the money to keep the kids safe.

I have a hunch these cancellations are less about safety and more about corporate CYA at universities and protecting their revenue from the labor.

I see your points except "exploited" young men. They have a choice, they can try (unsuccessfully mostly) to go to the Pros straight out of high school and avoid the exploitation. Then of course they could say the high schools exploited their time, effort, and talent.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:18 pm

ggasu wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:34 pm
I still think common sense will prevail and we play.
Common sense? When has that ever happened? Will Rogers said during the deepest years of the Great Depression, "America is where it is today due to the common sense of the American people."
Google SUX

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:18 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:06 pm
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:41 pm
NewApp wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:15 pm
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 pm
This must be posted at this point.

Pretty good Rah Rah motivational speech for a drunken college frat boy. True leadership. :)
He ended up a US Senator.
Unfortunately, it shows how stupid the electorate can be. Look at Jerry Springer. He became mayor of Cleveland and Donald Trump, a reality show star, became POTUS.
Yeah speaking of stupid electorate look who POTUS ran against

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:58 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:15 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:36 pm
Im going to catch heat for saying this...

Yall sound so defeated and negative. You are the nail not the hammer right now. The ADs that have shut down football appear the same way. Adapt and prevail. We've been doing it since March. The kids want to play, we want to watch. The players basically live in a bubble in the fall each year so how much harder can it be to take a couple extra steps to keep them safe? Answer: it wouldnt be hard. It would cost money. And the decision makers dont want to spend it.

The NCAA, ESPN, ABC, Fox, make so much money each weekend off the backs of unpaid, exploited young men they could pony up the money to keep the kids safe.

I have a hunch these cancellations are less about safety and more about corporate CYA at universities and protecting their revenue from the labor.
They have a choice, they can try (unsuccessfully mostly) to go to the Pros straight out of high school and avoid the exploitation. Then of course they could say the high schools exploited their time, effort, and talent.
But they can't. NFL has a rule (not NCAA) that players have to be 3 years out of high school before being considered...

I can all but guarantee this is a CYA move by the universities. I would not be surprised if there is any kind of college football this year, the players will have to sign a waiver forgiving the university and athletic department of any kind of sickness/damage from Covid.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:58 am

AppStae News, Yep, that needs to be changed. The NFL knows they use the NCAA as a minor league prep without cost to them. How long has that rule been in place? It used to be no years then 1 year. Now it is three? Even greedier. Is it the same in the NBA? LeBron went straight out high school..or did he? I don't keep up with it.
Google SUX

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:16 am

NewApp wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:58 am
AppStae News, Yep, that needs to be changed. The NFL knows they use the NCAA as a minor league prep without cost to them. How long has that rule been in place? It used to be no years then 1 year. Now it is three? Even greedier. Is it the same in the NBA? LeBron went straight out high school..or did he? I don't keep up with it.
I know for NFL that was agreed on by their players association, so it's not entirely the NFL making the call. That rule has been in place for as long as I can remember.

Each sport has a different rule. In my opinion, the best one is baseball. If you want to go right out of high school, go ahead. However, if you choose college, you have to be out of high school for 3 years.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:32 am

This whole thing long since became political and absolutely about the freaking money. Any purity in college sports, particularly football died a long time ago. College guys are pushing to get paid and university presidents are terrified (understandably so) that a young man will contract Covid, lawyer up and sue the school. When I hear the word exploited I want to vomit. Nobody forces anyone to play football and certainly not in college. I’m not against paying a stipend. I’ve always thought it should be paid like a grant. Apply for the extra need and go through a process like it’s done on the academic side. A young man whose family has the means to send him spending money is separated from a young man who comes from more dire circumstances. A top QB at Alabama and the 3rd string punter both go through the same process.

I’ve recently thought of another crazy idea. Is there really anything crazy anymore? How about giving an athlete a choice. Either receive a scholarship and be treated like a traditional student-athlete or receive the $ equivalent and only participate as a paid athlete for the school? The athlete would practice, play and pay for his own living expenses but would be on his own for school. The school would not be responsible for anything financially except for the scholarship money. If the cost for a football player at App per year is, say $40k (to include all incidentals) pay the young man that much and break it up over the course of the season. Treat it just like pro salaries. I think that the percentage of kids taking this option would be small.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:45 am

It’s hindsight now, but maybe all D1 teams should have been put in their elaborate training centers (with infirmary). Since they’re young and in good health they would all get over it and by now we could be looking forward to watching our favorite teams play their normal schedule on TV.

Some of the refs may have a problem... but they make bad call anyway.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:27 am

Oldlknapp wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:45 am
It’s hindsight now, but maybe all D1 teams should have been put in their elaborate training centers (with infirmary). Since they’re young and in good health they would all get over it and by now we could be looking forward to watching our favorite teams play their normal schedule on TV.

You need to change "all get over it" to "most will likely get over it, though some may have long term damage to different parts of their boides and likely their will be a death or to in the country based on the statistics."
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:31 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:16 am
NewApp wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:58 am
I know for NFL that was agreed on by their players association, so it's not entirely the NFL making the call. That rule has been in place for as long as I can remember.

Each sport has a different rule. In my opinion, the best one is baseball. If you want to go right out of high school, go ahead. However, if you choose college, you have to be out of high school for 3 years.
I don't doubt it one bit, but after a few walk outs, the players, in effect, run the NFL. Inflated salaries make it so money talks.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:33 am

Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:27 am
Oldlknapp wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:45 am

You need to change "all get over it" to "most will likely get over it, though some may have long term damage to different parts of their boides and likely their will be a death or to in the country based on the statistics."
Good point, although the way this COVID is changing, the younger ones are starting to not only carry it, but are coming down with it. Some may evolve into most before not too very long.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:38 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:08 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Understand MAF. Just like back in the days of the Spanish Flu (1918), the morale of our country would benefit from 🏈 . https://www.si.com/college/tmg/tony-bar ... panish-flu
And they were masked up which is more than we can get everyone to do now. "Mu' freedums and all."
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:04 am

BurkeGrad wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:23 pm
ggasu wrote:
Maybe common sense prevails and we don’t play! Better to not start than have to stop in
mid-season. Nothing accomplished but players and staffs put at risk.
Do we place our desires over the health of others? COVID-19 isn’t disappearing in 2020 and college teams aren’t going to be in a bubble from September to December.
That's the part that I will hang my hat on until forever. All the talk about the long-term effects of this thing is what is cancelling the conferences; myocarditis was the last thing I read about the Big 10 decision. However, even with a vaccine, this will NEVER go away. Vaccines will never be 100% effective and viruses will continue to mutate and mutate until the world ends today or a trillion years from now. Then we get into the argument that most on the other side are hanging their hat on that even ONE life lost or is permanently affected by this is too many. So in 2021 when we have a vaccine that's 50% effective, will the 100 that would have would have gotten it this year without a vaccine be terrible and the 50 that get it next year with a vaccine be acceptable? (editing to add that yes I understand the math on vaccines from 100 people to 50 people is wrong due to herd immunity but my point is there will still be a handful of players who get this each year from now until forever). Who's to say that the vaccine won't let you be an asymptomatic carrier still? I'm sure the data on that will take 5 years to compile.

Sure, a vaccine may reduce the symptoms in those who were vaccinated just like the flu vaccine, but we won't know that at least until 2022. In 2022, will we have enough data to say that the long term effects are negated by the vaccine? Probably not, so let's go and say 2024. Do we just cancel everything and live in fear until 2024? Will we have enough data then?

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:40 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:04 am
Do we just cancel everything and live in fear until 2024? Will we have enough data then?
But right now, we don't have anything. We don't have a vaccine or effective treatments. People keep comparing this to the flu and pointing out that we don't shut down for the flu. But we did shut down for this thing, more or less, and we still have 5.3M cases and 167K dead in the US alone. So I just can't get behind the notion that the solution is to just say "screw it" and move on like nothing's happening.

There's a difference between fear and prudence. Let's say this wasn't a virus. Let's say it was a shark. A big, gnarly shark. We all live in a beach town. It's about the size of Salisbury or Fuquay-Varina--33,000 or so. But right on the beach. And so far, 530 people have been bitten by the shark. 16 or 17 have been eaten by the shark. But authorities have mostly been trying to keep people out of the water. Should those who think it's a bad idea to go swimming be criticized? Be told they're living in fear?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:40 am

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:04 am
BurkeGrad wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:23 pm
ggasu wrote:
Maybe common sense prevails and we don’t play! Better to not start than have to stop in
mid-season. Nothing accomplished but players and staffs put at risk.
Do we place our desires over the health of others? COVID-19 isn’t disappearing in 2020 and college teams aren’t going to be in a bubble from September to December.
That's the part that I will hang my hat on until forever. All the talk about the long-term effects of this thing is what is cancelling the conferences; myocarditis was the last thing I read about the Big 10 decision. However, even with a vaccine, this will NEVER go away. Vaccines will never be 100% effective and viruses will continue to mutate and mutate until the world ends today or a trillion years from now. Then we get into the argument that most on the other side are hanging their hat on that even ONE life lost or is permanently affected by this is too many. So in 2021 when we have a vaccine that's 50% effective, will the 100 that would have would have gotten it this year without a vaccine be terrible and the 50 that get it next year with a vaccine be acceptable? (editing to add that yes I understand the math on vaccines from 100 people to 50 people is wrong due to herd immunity but my point is there will still be a handful of players who get this each year from now until forever). Who's to say that the vaccine won't let you be an asymptomatic carrier still? I'm sure the data on that will take 5 years to compile.

Sure, a vaccine may reduce the symptoms in those who were vaccinated just like the flu vaccine, but we won't know that at least until 2022. In 2022, will we have enough data to say that the long term effects are negated by the vaccine? Probably not, so let's go and say 2024. Do we just cancel everything and live in fear until 2024? Will we have enough data then?

I gotta say that post deserves more than a simple "thanks." Well thought out and spot on factually, ArmantiWS.,
Google SUX

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 am

The numbers at protests and rallies that I support have mostly had masks on.
I didn't think there were enough people in McLeansville to host a good protest. Did you have to bring in some interlopers from Whitsett? ;)

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:00 am

My biggest issue is and has always been the hypocrisy of the way the schools have handled the virus and now the crenelation of fall sports. They talk out one side of their mouth about protecting the student athlete, despite the numerous advantages of testing, medical, housing bubbles, training table bubbles, etc, that the athlete has, but at the same time are setting up to let all the rest of the students return to campus. Where is the concern for the health of those students? And don't tell me that is why they are doing online classes. EVERYONE knows and it has been repeatedly shown that once the students are back to campus THEY WILL NOT social distance. The schools actually have control over the athletes, through coaches, to maintain social distancing and all other needed precautions to slow/stop the spread whereas they have zero control over the rest of the student population. I don't see any of these schools closing down their dorms this year. So I really don't buy the conference line about caring for the student athlete. I believe it is simply concern for being sued by a college athlete who catches covid while participating in the sport. This is nothing more than that, protecting their financial interests. If not, why let the rest of the school come back and have business as usual?

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:03 am

Wait until one of the athletes gets the virus after having to stay home and not play football. Could they sue the school for cancelling?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”