Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Doug Gillin

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Doug Gillin

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:10 pm

Why so much credit? It's an honest question. Personally, I think he's done a fine job. But I'm not sure why he is so loved. Just asking. I am not looking to start a "thing". Thanks for your input.

PhillyApp1

Re: Doug Gillin

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:23 pm

I can tell you my experience. He has made almost every right decision. He is a good person. He has many opportunities to leave and has decided to stay. He is very likeable. He has App in a good, nit great financial position..... compared to the past AD's, he is Chancellor Peacock-esk.
Just my opinion

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:23 pm

I can tell you my experience. He has made almost every right decision. He is a good person. He has many opportunities to leave and has decided to stay. He is very likeable. He has App in a good, not great financial position..... compared to the past AD's, he is Chancellor Peacock-esk.
Just my opinion

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:34 pm

I think he's done a fantastic job with football scheduling. He seems to try to be responsive; he seeks fan input, and he's been known to reverse course when he gets negative feedback on stuff like gameday experience. Those are areas where I feel he's been legitimately excellent.

I think his major coaching hires appear good, though I have read a fair amount of sort of unwavering trust in this area that goes a little beyond what I'm willing to give. People feel however they feel about Drink, but the one year of results were obviously good; I think everyone's happy about Clark for now; and early returns on Kerns are promising.

He's clearly overseen some aggressive progress in facilities. How one feels about the particular direction those projects have taken is up to you. But I think at least he's taking steps to allow App to continue to grow.

To me the biggest question mark is in fundraising, which was supposed to be one of his strengths coming in. I don't know that he's done a bad job - there are obviously challenges at App - but I don't know that he's led a major breakthrough in that area either.

And then I know there's been a ton of staff turnover too, which isn't something that gets a ton of attention but could be a sign of issues within the department.

Overall, nobody's perfect, but I'd say Doug is trying to balance continued, aggressive growth (and capitalizing on a historic run in football) with honoring traditions. Nobody's perfect, but I'd say he's done a lot more positive than negative.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:48 pm

I just wonder how people will feel when he eventually leaves. Cobb walked on water while he was here, then after he left, not so much.
Question...will we have to keep giving him raises to keep him from leaving?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:10 pm
Why so much credit? It's an honest question. Personally, I think he's done a fine job. But I'm not sure why he is so loved. Just asking. I am not looking to start a "thing". Thanks for your input.
I encourage everyone become a member of the Yosef Club. We have a better than most AD. Why not help him get the job done. With your financial support, you can take credit too.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:52 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:23 pm
I can tell you my experience. He has made almost every right decision. He is a good person. He has many opportunities to leave and has decided to stay. He is very likeable. He has App in a good, not great financial position..... compared to the past AD's, he is Chancellor Peacock-esk.
Just my opinion
This. The state of financials when Gillin took over were disastrous -- to say it nicely. There's a reason Cobb was looking for a new job. And it wasn't just so he could make more money. Gillin has been a miracle worker to get the department where we are right now.

Gillin's business mind coupled with his likability have made him a very respected name in the industry.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:52 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:48 pm
I just wonder how people will feel when he eventually leaves. Cobb walked on water while he was here, then after he left, not so much.
Cobb only walked on water for very few people. Most did not like him at all.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:01 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
I encourage everyone become a member of the Yosef Club. We have a better than most AD. Why not help him get the job done. With your financial support, you can take credit too.
My wife and I upped our Yosef Club donation because we are blessed. We love this place so much. But I, personally, have questions (not complaints)

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:03 pm

NewApp wrote:
I was not a big fan of Cobb after a couple years at App. He was doing things behind the scenes that were awful. I feel like he did some good for us but he also did some bad and I believe we needed to get rid of him to help our culture behind the scenes.

I am pretty sure that our lack of ability to pay the big money will eventually see Gillin go. I'm enjoying the ride now and just hope when another team makes a big offer that we can find a good replacement. I am very happy with Gillin from what I see and feel like he is the best AD we ever had.

With that said, it would take a ton to be the worst AD we ever had. Laney takes the gold in that contest by 100 miles.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:04 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:01 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
My wife and I upped our Yosef Club donation because we are blessed. We love this place so much. But I, personally, have questions (not complaints)
That great to hear. Hope everyone will consider following your example. Thanks for sharing. #GoApp
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:07 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:52 pm
NewApp wrote:
Hitler could have followed up Laney and it would have been VERY TOUGH to decide who would be more hated. Most did not like Cobb for sure. Those who had no insights from anyone on inside or never dealt with Cobb thought he was good because he did not hold us back and tried to improve revenue and exposure while his predecessor tried to hold us down and pissed off so many for so long.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:09 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking. Cobb stumbled into a 5-year run that many AD's would have given their right arm to fall into. He had the top spot at the exact right time and he parlayed on the field success and off the field university growth, along with an uber athletics-friendly Chancellor and willing BoT, into the payday he was seeking all along in Atlanta. Admittedly, he gave a pretty good speech and seemed friendly enough one-on-one, but to me, he always came across as looking to hurry along to the next chit chat or the next obligation, especially if it was clear you weren't "bringing anything to the table". And let's not forget, he left a "scandal" or two in his wake and some truly all-time bad hires.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:10 pm

I think he's done a great job. Plus he visits the tailgates on game day. Very accessable and personable.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:12 pm

I believe Doug has done the best he can with what he's got. The transition in football got us scheduled with huge home and home series. Now are these last few a bit meh? maybe, but again doing the best in the current climate. But of course this goes beyond football as an AD. Him cutting sports will be a blemish, but if the athletic dept makes it out on the other end, it may have well been worth it. The turnover has been an issue, that I personally would like to see more information on.
We have a very low number of Yosef Club members compared to our peer institution in NC as well as the SunBelt. And we dont have enough money to fully fund scholarships. I think those are places he needs to try and improve, but our alumni/fans are stubborn: "you can lead a horse to water..."

Doug is a great man and so glad that we have him at AppState.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:20 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wish more would take this Avenue. Good stuff 88

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:24 pm

Doug Gillen is a professional. Charlie was a cobb. Laney was an idiot.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:24 pm

NewApp wrote:
I for one loved Cobb other than a bad hire in basketball things were immediately better when he took the helm. Immediately after he was at the helm we had our first 24,000 attendance coastal I believe. Doug has done everything that was needed. That’s neither good or bad.

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:37 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
NewApp wrote:
A crash test dummy would have been an improvement over Laney, whose lack of vision was condoned by Toot Borkowski. The “red sweater boy” was better than Roachel, but that’s a very low bar to set.
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:37 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:24 pm
NewApp wrote:
I for one loved Cobb other than a bad hire in basketball things were immediately better when he took the helm. Immediately after he was at the helm we had our first 24,000 attendance coastal I believe. Doug has done everything that was needed. That’s neither good or bad.
Talk to people who worked for Cobb. He was difficult to deal with.

Cobb did do some good things but he followed the worst AD in the history of D1. When you refer to the attendance rising in Cobb's first game you do know that had nothing to do with Cobb and was 100% to do with Laney? He ran so many people off and had held us down so long that our fans literally celebrated his resigning and so many immediately re-joined Yosef Club and decided to get excited and show up, donate, and support our program.

I personally know many, including people like Dexter Coakley, who vowed to not come back or donate until the day Laney was gone and they literally called within the 24-48 hours of his resignation. There was a tangible excitement in the stadium because of it. There were so many former players who jumped on the train because he left.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”