Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

COVID cluster connected to Football team

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Re: COVID cluster connected to Football team

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:40 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:34 am
AppinVA wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:50 am
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:44 am
AppDub wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:28 am
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:35 am
Without turning this into a political argument that will get sent to the open thread... we'd be in a much better place had we as a nation taken this virus more serious earlier in the year. People insisted on not believing it was real, refuse to wear masks, refuse to socially distance, etc. There were people who went to their respective state capitals with AR-15s claiming having to wear a mask and stores being closed was taking their rights away. My sister and her family live in the Philippines, where if you don't abide by the COVID rules (wearing a mask, abiding by curfew), you're thrown in prison, or in a few cases killed. Her husband works for Cargill which placed them over there...she has now bought a townhouse in the USA and plans to bring the kids back stateside. My point is, people who want to be defiant have no idea. I'm not suggesting our country should have completely shut down for two months, but people should have been more abiding by the rules and suggested precautions months ago.

All it would take is for one player on the team to die, and who will have to take the blame? The fans and players that wanted to continue or the universities who did nothing? Do what just write it off as a cost to giving his all for Appalachian State? I'd assume regardless of your position on this issue you understand how liability works.

Hopefully people will take COVID-19 as a lesson. In many Asian countries even before Covid people wore masks even when they had non life threatening illnesses. Time to have respect for others and not just be selfish because the mask feels uncomfortable.

Lastly, MLS, NBA, NHL all created bubbles which have proven to be effective. That's not a realistic possibility for college football.
Where is the not turning it into a political discussion part?
Blaming a population of people that decide to not follow guidelines or think it's not a big deal is not political. I know people from all sides of the political spectrum that are guilty of giving zero f's. It's not my fault if you and others want to turn it into a political debate or take it that way. I didn't blame any politician or political party.
Killed for not wearing a mask, or for violating curfew? Killed? Like by the government?
Just wear your mask and be smart....
You’re okay with government sanctioned killing over not wearing masks?

We can play a game I call “change the nouns” to see where you draw the line.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:41 am

I haven't posted much during the outbreak but drop in every once and a while and it continues to amaze me that even now, in late August there are people who still legitimately believe that a single down is going to be played this season.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:42 am

So the article I read says "students and staff associated with the football team". If it were players wouldn't it state "student-athletes"? Not that it makes much difference but we can't assume it's players. There are lots of students and staff "associated" with the football team. The reality of this whole thing is that people are going to get sick even when safety precautions are followed. It seems that deaths are way down and we are making strides in treating the virus. Those are positives to me. Let's keep up the good work. I do think it's doubtful that football happens this fall but I'm hopeful.
WE ARE YOSEF!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:44 am

97grad wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:41 am
I haven't posted much during the outbreak but drop in every once and a while and it continues to amaze me that even now, in late August there are people who still legitimately believe that a single down is going to be played this season.
I’ll put myself in the category of forced ignorance/wishful thinking.
YNWA

AppSt80

Unread post by AppSt80 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:45 am

97grad wrote:
Same here...kinda comical.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:47 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:15 am
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:08 am
AppinVA wrote:
AppDub wrote:

Blaming a population of people that decide to not follow guidelines or think it's not a big deal is not political. I know people from all sides of the political spectrum that are guilty of giving zero f's. It's not my fault if you and others want to turn it into a political debate or take it that way. I didn't blame any politician or political party.
Killed for not wearing a mask, or for violating curfew? Killed? Like by the government?
Not exactly sure who did the killing. All my sister told me was that someone was killed for defying Covid measures. She said it was advertised to people to show they mean business. I don't think she'd lie about it, but my post was off of what she told me.
Yeah I’m gonna need a reputable source on this and not some hearsay from someone’s sisters friend.
Think it's bullshit go to the Philippines and find out for yourself. But since I'm a nice guy I will provide you with what to search in Google to then hopefully find a source you consider reputable. You'll find quite a few articles. Pick one.

"Killings in the philippines for not following covid 19"

That's not the first time Rodrigo Duterte has said some fucked up stuff either, and I'm certain his free-will killing mentality will continue.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:48 am

ggasu wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:21 am
roachgone wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 am
My son just texted one of the players and this latest “cluster” is a complete fabrication. Said Zac, Noah and other seniors are blowing up Twitter about this. I am so sick of this hysteria over this virus. Age 0 to 44 are just as likely to die in an auto accident as this virus so nobody should be driving because somebody is gonna die.
It’s insanity

There are easy day treatments that are widely available. The left simply does not want a cure.

Texas doctor 100% success rate with budesonide. Asian countries use simple herbal antivirals (ginger extract) (which by the way cures other lung infection very similar to covid)
Well you are just ignorant.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:49 am

AppinVA wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:28 am
AppinVA wrote:
AppDub wrote:

Not exactly sure who did the killing. All my sister told me was that someone was killed for defying Covid measures. She said it was advertised to people to show they mean business. I don't think she'd lie about it, but my post was off of what she told me.
Holy crap! I can see why she’s coming home with the youngins. I’ll take what we have here, versus that.

Today, it’s masks and such. Tomorrow it’s some other violation deemed worthy by the state (insert your social cause here).
Yeah, she tried to hang in there but when the President Duterte continues to talk wreckless, it's definitely time to get away, and take the kids. It's unfortunate that my brother-in-law doesn't have a choice. He has to stay for work.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:52 am

On 4/19 there were 1,600 deaths in the US, yesterday there were 1,300. So yea deaths are down.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:56 am

DontPlayWithYosef wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:48 am
Shocked to see that both of CNN's viewers are also on this site
back to the basement there fella.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:48 am
ggasu wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:21 am
roachgone wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 am
My son just texted one of the players and this latest “cluster” is a complete fabrication. Said Zac, Noah and other seniors are blowing up Twitter about this. I am so sick of this hysteria over this virus. Age 0 to 44 are just as likely to die in an auto accident as this virus so nobody should be driving because somebody is gonna die.
It’s insanity

There are easy day treatments that are widely available. The left simply does not want a cure.

Texas doctor 100% success rate with budesonide. Asian countries use simple herbal antivirals (ginger extract) (which by the way cures other lung infection very similar to covid)
Well you are just ignorant.
I am on the left and believe me if Trump himself could pull a cure out of his ass I would celebrate in the streets. I love my Mom and Dad and their lives are severely effected by this bullshit because they are smart enough to do the right things which means unfortunately staying home a lot. Not fair for healthy people who were otherwise very active. It’s just ignorant to think either side is enjoying this, yes idiots exist on social media and misinformation abounds.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:13 pm

I do find it odd that people hold such strong opinions about the way a decision is going to be made when they have absolutely no control over said decision.

DontPlayWithYosef

Unread post by DontPlayWithYosef » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:22 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:56 am
DontPlayWithYosef wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:48 am
Shocked to see that both of CNN's viewers are also on this site
back to the basement there fella.
you're funny - don't confuse me with sleepy Joe

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:26 pm

ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:13 pm
I do find it odd that people hold such strong opinions about the way a decision is going to be made when they have absolutely no control over said decision.
VOTE

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:26 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:00 am
T-Dog wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:18 pm
Boroneer10 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:14 pm
This virus is little to no threat to guys our players age.
I wish people would stop using this as justification to play football.

We don't know for sure how this virus affects young people, but what's true is that the number of cases in young people are growing.
You are right. So what’s the solution? Continued indefinite isolation until a vaccine? I’m not a virus conspiracy theorist either, an honest question
How's all the peaceful demonstration going in you neck of the woods?
BLACK SATURDAY

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:31 pm

AppinVA wrote:
AppDub wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:35 am
Without turning this into a political argument that will get sent to the open thread... we'd be in a much better place had we as a nation taken this virus more serious earlier in the year. People insisted on not believing it was real, refuse to wear masks, refuse to socially distance, etc. There were people who went to their respective state capitals with AR-15s claiming having to wear a mask and stores being closed was taking their rights away. My sister and her family live in the Philippines, where if you don't abide by the COVID rules (wearing a mask, abiding by curfew), you're thrown in prison, or in a few cases killed. Her husband works for Cargill which placed them over there...she has now bought a townhouse in the USA and plans to bring the kids back stateside. My point is, people who want to be defiant have no idea. I'm not suggesting our country should have completely shut down for two months, but people should have been more abiding by the rules and suggested precautions months ago.

All it would take is for one player on the team to die, and who will have to take the blame? The fans and players that wanted to continue or the universities who did nothing? Do what just write it off as a cost to giving his all for Appalachian State? I'd assume regardless of your position on this issue you understand how liability works.

Hopefully people will take COVID-19 as a lesson. In many Asian countries even before Covid people wore masks even when they had non life threatening illnesses. Time to have respect for others and not just be selfish because the mask feels uncomfortable.

Lastly, MLS, NBA, NHL all created bubbles which have proven to be effective. That's not a realistic possibility for college football.
Just wear your mask and be smart....

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:39 pm

97grad wrote:
Say it ain't so?

States with Republican governors playing high school football this fall:

Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Arkansas
Tennessee
South Carolina
Mississippi
Missouri
Oklahoma
Texas
West Virginia
Indiana
Iowa
Ohio
Nebraska
Utah
Arizona
Wyoming
Idaho
North Dakota
South Dakota
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Vermont
Alaska

States with Democratic governors playing high school football this fall:

Kentucky
Wisconsin
Maine
Rhode Island
Montana
Connecticut
Kansas
Louisiana (set to start in October)

States with a Republican governor not playing high school football this fall:

Maryland

States with Democratic governors not playing high school football this fall:

Pennsylvania (The battle is ongoing with the governor recommending no fall football)
Michigan
Virginia
Minnesota
North Carolina
Nevada
Illinois
California
Oregon
Colorado
Washington
Hawaii
Nevada
New Mexico
Delaware

Still to be determined with Democratic governors:

New York
New Jersey
BLACK SATURDAY

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:26 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:00 am
T-Dog wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:18 pm
Boroneer10 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:14 pm
This virus is little to no threat to guys our players age.
I wish people would stop using this as justification to play football.

We don't know for sure how this virus affects young people, but what's true is that the number of cases in young people are growing.
You are right. So what’s the solution? Continued indefinite isolation until a vaccine? I’m not a virus conspiracy theorist either, an honest question
How's all the peaceful demonstration going in you neck of the woods?
Hell Black Saturday, a demonstration in your neck of the woods is when you run into another person :D
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:43 pm

AppSt80 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:45 am
97grad wrote:
Same here...kinda comical.
I think many folks quickly projected no football and others just wanted to wait and see. I don't see anyone who felt one way or the other back then wavering on that at the D1 level. I never thought we would see small schools play unless there was a vaccine and numbers were very low because they could not afford the testing. The P5 level can afford it so they will obviously be the very last to completely pull out.

I have texted or called with 3 coaching sources, all from FBS programs. One coach told me their league will play, even if just OOC, because those who have scheduled had decisions made by their college presidents and truly want to cancel football and then get media and all to blame Trump. The other said they are preparing for football like they will play but he and his colleagues on his staff don't think there is a chance they play. The last coach thinks we start the season but no way we finish or even get through second week of October.

None of them want to play in the spring and don't see a top player, even some who aren't high grades but think they are, actually playing instead of training for draft if we don't have a fall.

I talked to two agents who said this whole thing is brutal for them because players expect a stipend, training, etc all from when they sign until they go off to postseason draft events. That is going to run up quite the bill. I hope our players don't do anything stupid like that.

It seems like coaches who do the best job of being open with their players on their NFL Draft stock and are most open with NFL teams are having no early opt-outs though. Those who try to shelter it are getting burned because their kids are listening to the wrong people instead of being given information by the truly informed.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:46 pm

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:49 am
AppinVA wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:28 am
AppinVA wrote:

Holy crap! I can see why she’s coming home with the youngins. I’ll take what we have here, versus that.

Today, it’s masks and such. Tomorrow it’s some other violation deemed worthy by the state (insert your social cause here).
Yeah, she tried to hang in there but when the President Duterte continues to talk wreckless, it's definitely time to get away, and take the kids. It's unfortunate that my brother-in-law doesn't have a choice. He has to stay for work.
Wow. I hope they can all get out soon. That’s nuts.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”