Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Favorite App Football (non-game) Memory

appstate24
School: Appalachian State

Favorite App Football (non-game) Memory

Unread post by appstate24 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:16 pm

Another thread to pass the time until September 12th. We’ve all discussed our favorite games or favorite plays. That got me thinking, what is your favorite memory related to App Football that isn’t a specific game or play. I’ll get it started...

My all time favorite non game memory was in the spring of 2006. I was a sophomore at App. My dad had come up to spend the day with me. We spent the day at the App baseball game, at the old baseball stadium. My dad and I are best friends and spent the whole day enjoying the game and talking. Jerry Moore was sitting at the other end of the same bleacher. About half way through the game, Jerry got up, came over and asked if he could sit with us. Of course we said yes. We talked the rest of the game, and he thanked us for letting him sit with us. He said he enjoyed watching a father and son talk and have such a good relationship. As if that wasn’t enough he asked us to come down to his office after the game. When we got to his office he said he wanted to give us one of his hats. He couldn’t find an extra, so he said, “here take this one.” He gave us the hat he wore during the 2005 national championship game. At first we wouldn’t take it but he insisted, saying he wasn’t superstitious, and he wanted us to have it. That hat is now in a glass box in my man cave, and that memory is cherished forever. Jerry was an incredible coach, and even more incredible man.

What’s your favorite non-game App Football memory?

GO APPS!!

NewApp

Re: Favorite App Football (non-game) Memory

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:21 pm

Can’t top that.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:20 pm

Coach Moore handing me the keys to a new truck thanks to Military Warriors Support Foundation, Discovery Chevrolet, and Wells Fargo. He still asks me how my truck is when I run into him.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:58 pm

My son always admired Coach Moore, even dressed up like him on a homecoming float one year. Back in 2015, I wrote Coach a note, asking if he had time to write a short congratulatory wish to be read at my son’s wedding rehearsal dinner. I told him I completely understood if he couldn’t. About two weeks before the wedding a long letter from Coach arrived. In it, he wrote a very impressive analogy of football and marriage. (Husband as quarterback, sticking to the game plan, handling adversity, etc...) It was amazing. When I read it at the rehearsal dinner, my son and all his App grad groomsmen sat there with their jaws on the floor. He’ll always be the greatest, classiest coach in my book.

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:30 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:58 pm
My son always admired Coach Moore, even dressed up like him on a homecoming float one year. Back in 2015, I wrote Coach a note, asking if he had time to write a short congratulatory wish to be read at my son’s wedding rehearsal dinner. I told him I completely understood if he couldn’t. About two weeks before the wedding a long letter from Coach arrived. In it, he wrote a very impressive analogy of football and marriage. (Husband as quarterback, sticking to the game plan, handling adversity, etc...) It was amazing. When I read it at the rehearsal dinner, my son and all his App grad groomsmen sat there with their jaws on the floor. He’ll always be the greatest, classiest coach in my book.

man, that's the best thing I've read in a long time. Thanks for sharing.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Having Coach Moore come to a race track near Atlanta to speak to the motorcycle racers I was chaplain for. They were thrilled and I learned that his eldest son one raced motorcycles. His interaction with those racers was special to watch. Thanks Coach.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:27 am

Great stories about a classic man. I can't top those but my favorite non game thing happened at a game. Bill Murray (yea that one one) was at a game. We snuck in some liquid refreshment, offered him some and he drank with us for a bit. Before he left, he signed the bottle. Last time I checked, my roommate still had the bottle.

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:43 am

I'm sure I'm not alone in this. On a cool, bright, sunny day in 1968, my then girlfriend and future bride came up to Boone for a football weekend but insisted on visiting Howard's Knob. Up we went while the football game rocked on below. Now 51 years later, we're still together, having climbed many hills, endured a few rough valleys and shared many great adventures.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:04 am

My story also involves Coach Moore but did not take place in Boone. I had purchased the book, "King of the Mountain" by Dick Brown. He (the author) was in the bookstore this day autographing them so naturally I had to have it. After reading about coach's career, his faith, his leadership, and his time in Boone I wrote him a letter. I thanked him for being the solid man that he is, his leadership of our football team and players, his positive effect on our university and alumni. Sent it off and didn't think anything else about. About 6 weeks later I came home from work and found a long 3 foot mailing tube in my mail box. As I opened it up there was a huge signed poster of Lynch's field goal block in the Big House, a couple smaller ones also autographed, a print of the team exiting Owens FH also autographed. Each had a personal message. Now fast-forward to last the 2019 Hall of Fame breakfast and he was there. I talked with him and told him this story. He said that he remembers the note and sending the posters to me. Those are memories and items I cherish greatly.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

'75App

Unread post by '75App » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:47 am

Man, I'm jealous of these Jerry Moore stories!! I was at App during the late Jim Brakefield era and it was fun but nothing like the years with Jerry Moore at the helm!

By the way, this thread title needs to changed to Favorite jerry Moore stories!!

GO APPS!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:03 am

If Jerry Moore made a lasting impact on you. Why not give to the Jerry Moore Plaza Fund.

https://www.hcpress.com/sports/app-stat ... tatue.html

https://mountaineerimpact.com/assets/pd ... nities.pdf
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:34 am

Let me add a Jim Brakefield story. I was there 1973-1978 for undergrad and one year of grad school. His football stories are good but the one I'm most proud of was during another Hall of Fame breakfast. My family and I got to sit at the same table as Coach Brakefield and a well-known PE teacher, Ms. Cleone Hodges. She and coach often had some wonderful discussions about golf and life. Anyway, we sat down and I had my son sit next to Coach. Coach carried on a conversation with him just like two old friends. It made my heart glad that he got to meet and talk with Coach. I thought the world of that man and respected him a lot.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:03 am
If Jerry Moore made a lasting impact on you. Why not give to the Jerry Moore Plaza Fund.

Have a direct link to where I pay?

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:48 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:02 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:03 am

Have a direct link to where I pay?
Yosef Club. 828-262-3108
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:42 pm

Definitely, hanging from the goal posts on that rainy night freshman year when Satt and the guys knocked off #1 Marshall. And then marching them down the street to toss in the duck pond - Ga Southern's bus wasn't available that night.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:00 pm

Not long after our national championship win over Delaware I was on the monorail with the family heading towards the Magic Kingdom at Disney World. I was, of course, sporting App State football attire and happened to see a family of Delaware fans in the same car with us. We seemed to notice each other at about the same time and I just kind of smiled. A college-aged kid in their group kind of nodded and just said "you guys have a great quarterback." But then the crotchety 'ole grandmother of the group barked out, "I didn't care for the way your fans came down to the field in the 4th quarter before the game was over.." and I was like "yeah, but the game was actually over in the 2nd quarter..."

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:33 pm

I would say after the Michigan win - which all seems unrealistic to me sometimes - we were driving back to Columbus (where my cousin lives) to spend the night - Of course, I had my APP flags flying and everybody was honking and waving at us - we stopped to get something to eat and I still had my APP shirt on and everyone came by our table to spread the joy - people wanted to buy us dinner and drinks. I had one guy give me $20 and his address and asked me to buy him an APP hat and send it to him when I got home - I did - WHAT A DAY ! ! !
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:40 pm

To piggy-back on WV’s post. We had the same reaction the whole way back home, it was incredible.

One funny story we went to some sports bar to eat after the game. Of course we were decked out in our App gear, and still on cloud 9. The place had about 50 TVs, and everyone of them was turned off. We asked if they could turn it on ESPN. We were told the “satellite was out, and wasn’t working.” :lol: :lol:

Everyone that was there that glorious day knows the weather was beautiful, barely a cloud in the sky. :lol:

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:41 pm

An addendum - This happened less than a month ago - I was in the local Food Lion and this guy walked past me and saw the APP t-shirt I had on - he turned and came back toward me - (we were observing social distancing and both wearing masks) He said, "I see you are an Appalachian fan" - Yes, - "I remember watching that Michigan game and it was so great" - Yes, and we were there - "You're kidding me, you were at the game" - Yes - He talked to me for about 20 minutes, and I bet he said, "I can't believe I'm actually talking to someone who was there" at least 10 times - :D
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:37 am

This is more after game related. After the Michigan game in 2007, my wife and I partied until midnight then returned to the Holiday Inn (maybe Express) not too far from the stadium. We went to bed and as expected, I was so wired I tossed and turned until 3am. At that point I told my wife I couldn't sleep, threw on some sweats and went to the lobby of the hotel. In the lobby there must have been 30 App fans watching ESPN and of course the App upset was coming up every 5 minutes. Every time Dexter or AE scored or Lynch blocked the kick the lobby would erupt......what a great experience!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”