Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Corey Sutton - Opting Out

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Corey Sutton - Opting Out

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:47 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:32 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:55 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:19 pm
Jamie Newman Opts out at UGA. If anyone thought Corey may want to go to a P5 to improve his position you may want to look at this article. Newman was a shoe-in to start at UGA and decided not to play out, even at a prime SEC school.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -nfl-draft
Don't know that he was a shoe-in to start. Once JT Daniels (transfer from USC) got approved to play immediately, that starting role might have been significantly decreased.
True,

Funny thing is he went to UGA because he thought needed another year on the field to prove his NFL worthiness, now he decides that he doesn’t need that year. Oh, that is after a few practices. Raise Daniels.

Point is these guys don’t always know what they are getting into when they start opting out and moving around.

If Corey is waiting due to need for additional healing then it makes perfect sense otherwise there may be more questions than answers.
I don't know for sure where Newman will land but I can tell you that the scouts who evaluated him in the spring have him in the 4th-6th round range instead of the 1st-2nd round like most media members have him. This decision could have been a cover for losing the job to someone else. Who knows. It will be interesting to see where he lands without playing this year out.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:22 am

I am not sure of his true reasons for opting out but the optics look like he lost his bid to be the starter. Seriously doubt he leaves if he gets that starting nod on a SEC team that can challenge for a National Title. Georgia isn't a depleted team like LSU is this year, they are stocked and ready to make a title run. Not many players leave an opportunity like that on the table.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:37 am

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:11 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:13 pm
Ouch.
There is more to this than what you think. I wish him the best in his next steps in life and his football career.
There always is. Best of luck to him regardless.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:42 am

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:22 am
I am not sure of his true reasons for opting out but the optics look like he lost his bid to be the starter. Seriously doubt he leaves if he gets that starting nod on a SEC team that can challenge for a National Title. Georgia isn't a depleted team like LSU is this year, they are stocked and ready to make a title run. Not many players leave an opportunity like that on the table.
LSU is inexperienced but we have to remember that all those new starters were 4 and 5 star recruits in high school. Georgia is always loaded with talent and based on where Newman is rated by the media I would have figured this should be the year they actually could win the title. It is baffling, like you said, that he would opt out if he is suppose to be the starter on a team this talented.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:10 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:42 am
t4pizza wrote:
LSU is inexperienced but we have to remember that all those new starters were 4 and 5 star recruits in high school. Georgia is always loaded with talent and based on where Newman is rated by the media I would have figured this should be the year they actually could win the title. It is baffling, like you said, that he would opt out if he is suppose to be the starter on a team this talented.
Yes, LSU always has players on their team. I just meant that they lost so much from last year that it is not surprising to me that so many on LSU are opting out this year. I don't think anybody really believes that LSU has a National Title run in them this year, that isn't the case with Georgia. In fact, Newman is the first big player I remember hearing that is opting out at Georgia. I really think that most of these decisions are based on other factors that we as fans are not, and should not usually be, made aware of. In Newman's case, I think most draw the same conclusion that he wasn't good enough to start so he is trying to save face and work for the NFL.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:35 am

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:10 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Yes, LSU always has players on their team. I just meant that they lost so much from last year that it is not surprising to me that so many on LSU are opting out this year. I don't think anybody really believes that LSU has a National Title run in them this year, that isn't the case with Georgia. In fact, Newman is the first big player I remember hearing that is opting out at Georgia. I really think that most of these decisions are based on other factors that we as fans are not, and should not usually be, made aware of. In Newman's case, I think most draw the same conclusion that he wasn't good enough to start so he is trying to save face and work for the NFL.
Makes you wonder how good Brennan has looked in practice? I agree LSU does not have a title run in them but UGA is always talked about as a contender but never wins it. I thought this was first time they truly have a shot at it. I still don't think they beat Alabama though.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:51 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:35 am
t4pizza wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Makes you wonder how good Brennan has looked in practice? I agree LSU does not have a title run in them but UGA is always talked about as a contender but never wins it. I thought this was first time they truly have a shot at it. I still don't think they beat Alabama though.
I don't disagree with your comments about Georgia, but they were literally robbed in their championship game against Bama in 2018. There were 4 game changing HORRIBLE calls that created Bama's winning score. Those included an off-side call on a punt block that would have given Georgia possession in scoring range. Replay clearly shows he wasn't off sides but it wasn't reversed. There was a late hit on Fromm that wasn't called and a face mask on their RB. I don't like blaming officiating but the final minutes of that game were the worst I've ever seen in a major game. The following year in the SEC Championship, Georgia had Bama beat again but fault for that one goes to Kirby Smart and the worst fake punt attempt ever!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:51 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:35 am
t4pizza wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
I don't disagree with your comments about Georgia, but they were literally robbed in their championship game against Bama in 2018. There were 4 game changing HORRIBLE calls that created Bama's winning score. Those included an off-side call on a punt block that would have given Georgia possession in scoring range. Replay clearly shows he wasn't off sides but it wasn't reversed. There was a late hit on Fromm that wasn't called and a face mask on their RB. I don't like blaming officiating but the final minutes of that game were the worst I've ever seen in a major game. The following year in the SEC Championship, Georgia had Bama beat again but fault for that one goes to Kirby Smart and the worst fake punt attempt ever!
My point was more that every year they are a title contender in the preseason and aren't really in it at the end except the one time you mention. They have talent though and there is no question that if they have a good QB that they should be in title hunt. I feel like though they have had 4 or 5 years where they truly belonged in the top 4 at the end but would lose to South Carolina or someone during regular season and then lose in the SEC title game that would eliminate them.

ASU2012

Unread post by ASU2012 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:56 pm

Bump...

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:06 pm

ASU2012 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:56 pm
Bump...
Questions...I have a couple

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:15 pm

ASU2012 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:56 pm
Bump...
Really trying to keep my hopes down.

But this would change everything.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:38 pm

Perfectly timed for Mountaineer Talk.

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:44 pm

There any new information going on here?

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:46 pm

I've re-watched the North Carolina and South Carolina games recently and was reminded what a beast Sutton is...praying he comes back..

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:10 pm

What have I missed here?... I’m just seeing the thread go from Sept. 3 to “bump”

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:14 pm

cryptic Instagram story posted by Corey this afternoon, putting pieces together sounds like he is coming back next year.
The marketing firm highlighted in the post appears to be his good friend Will Eason.
Last edited by APPRIDE on Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomA415

Unread post by TomA415 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:39 pm

I don’t even think he’s in Boone right now. Highly highly doubt he’ll be back this season.

I’m more worried if he’ll actually be back next year.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Word is that this is him confirming he’ll be back next season

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:34 pm

The tease...

But I would assume that is for next season.

TheAppalachianState

Unread post by TheAppalachianState » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:39 pm

What if they announce tomorrow that he’s back?!? Oh what a dream

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”