Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Why don’t we just play Western Carolina as our FCS game every year?

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Why don’t we just play Western Carolina as our FCS game every year?

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 am
ah59396 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:35 pm
Is there a good reason here? Obviously the history is tremendous. It’s also meaningful for all of the western portion of the state.

I’d like to think we aren’t too high and mighty that we can’t appreciate our past.

What would be so bad about playing Western Carolina and keeping the Old Mountain Jug going?
I think there's a lot of issues with making this an annual game:
1. we can't pay WCU what they need from their FBS game (generally an SEC team)
2. WCU doesn't want to go from having their rival on an equal ground to traveling to Boone every year to be our "warm up game", their fans who remember App playing in the whee aren't going to accept that.
3. From Apps point of view, the FCS game is about working out kinks and getting a relatively easy win, we would always get WCUs best shot every year, as knocking us off would make their season.
4. Also, i'm not sure that the optics work with essentially having a rivalry with an FCS program.

All that being said, I would love to have them every so often to rekindle the rivalry. I think every 4-5 years makes sense. Maybe once their AD turns over 100%, and their fans get more used to being on a different level with App, we can make it happen.
Yep, all of this.

My personal view since moving up has been "who cares who our FCS game is?" If you're looking at it as some sort of rivalry, or scheduling someone who will provide "a good game," IMO you're doing it wrong. FCS games should provide a glorified scrimmage, a chance to tailgate and one win toward bowl eligibility. If they'll buy a decent number of tickets, that's a nice bonus.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:54 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 am
ah59396 wrote:
Is there a good reason here? Obviously the history is tremendous. It’s also meaningful for all of the western portion of the state.

I’d like to think we aren’t too high and mighty that we can’t appreciate our past.

What would be so bad about playing Western Carolina and keeping the Old Mountain Jug going?
I think there's a lot of issues with making this an annual game:
1. we can't pay WCU what they need from their FBS game (generally an SEC team)
2. WCU doesn't want to go from having their rival on an equal ground to traveling to Boone every year to be our "warm up game", their fans who remember App playing in the whee aren't going to accept that.
3. From Apps point of view, the FCS game is about working out kinks and getting a relatively easy win, we would always get WCUs best shot every year, as knocking us off would make their season.
4. Also, i'm not sure that the optics work with essentially having a rivalry with an FCS program.

All that being said, I would love to have them every so often to rekindle the rivalry. I think every 4-5 years makes sense. Maybe once their AD turns over 100%, and their fans get more used to being on a different level with App, we can make it happen.
I was literally about to say most of this until I saw your post.

As someone else said, I do remember checking their board out a couple times and they demand that we come there, which is a no go. They definitely have people who think they should still be on equal footing with us.

They are also looking for a big pay day at least once, sometimes twice, a year. We won't give them that huge pay day and they will likely lose to us just like they would to many SEC teams. Because of their need for a big pay day they have to focus on P5 teams as their FBS games.

Personally, from a SOS standpoint, I hope we can eventually get away from playing FCS teams all together. The issue is that we have trouble getting many SEC and ACC teams to play us at all, let alone come to Boone here and there.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:10 am

mfrench wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:28 am
ah59396 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:05 pm
CheckYosef94 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:56 pm
Once we announced we were moving up I think this idea was floated around. IIRC Western was not a fan of the idea of traveling to Boone every year for the amount of money we were willing to pay. They'd much rather get the heavier payday from the Alabama's of the world.
That definitely makes sense. I suspect they get well over a million from Alabama.

Maybe one day when we aren’t strapped for cash we can make it happen haha.

WCU gets a big payday from a Bama, but more likely a third of that.
I did a quick Google search and they got $525,000, which is more than double what they would get from us.

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:35 am

I would like to do what Clemson does and try to schedule a NC FCS ever year. Does a lot for in state interest.
WCU
Gardner Webb
NC A&T
Elon.
Campbell
NC Central

Offer $250k for the game. If no takers, so be it. Move on to other FCS schools in our prime recruiting footprint including:

ETSU
Chatty
Hampton
JMU
Furman
Wofford
Charleston So.
The Citadel
Charleston So.
Kennesaw St.
North Alabama
Sanford

I agree with earlier comment, only play each team once every 4 years. This is not a rivalry game.

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:37 am

I would like to do what Clemson does and try to schedule a NC FCS ever year. Does a lot for in state interest.
WCU
Gardner Webb
NC A&T
Elon.
Campbell
NC Central

Offer $250k for the game. If no takers, so be it. Move on to other FCS schools in our prime recruiting footprint including:

ETSU
Chatty
Hampton
JMU
Furman
Wofford
Charleston So.
The Citadel
Charleston So.
Kennesaw St.
North Alabama
Sanford
Florida A &M
Bethune Cookman

I agree with earlier comment, only play each team once every 4 years. This is not a rivalry game.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:49 am

TractorApp wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:35 am
WCU
Gardner Webb
NC A&T
Elon.
Campbell
NC Central

ETSU
Chatty
Hampton
JMU
Furman
Wofford
Charleston So.
The Citadel
Charleston So.
Kennesaw St.
North Alabama
Sanford

The reason South Carolina and Clemson play a FCS team from the state every year is because it is mandated by the SC government so to keep money in the state. They are P5 teams who already have a strong schedule so they actually need a game like this.

I feel like the only reason we are playing FCS teams is to reach, at least, 6 home games a year. We really prefer to play another good G5 or have a P5 come to Boone every year but that is impossible to do for a team like us now. With that said, when you play a FCS team you need someone who can be a warmup so I don't see us scheduling a team like NDSU or JMU, even though that game would be on national TV I'm sure. We need FCS teams we can beat by 35+ points and play a lot of backups.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:28 am

Find a FCS team say Kennesaw State that plays the Triple option and always play them a few weeks before the GS game.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:19 am

GreatAppSt wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:28 am
Find a FCS team say Kennesaw State that plays the Triple option and always play them a few weeks before the GS game.
That would be great if we could pull that off. The hard part is getting the schedule to work that way. Georgia Southern would kick and scream to stop that from happening. I remember Mike Ayers being upset at the SoCon for them putting Wofford behind GSU on the league schedule for opponents.

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:35 pm

ah59396 wrote:

I'd be all for it.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:19 pm

I would like to see Furman in the mix as they are one of the few teams that hold the series advantage over us.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:02 pm

We had a long history with WCU and both have been the UNC System step children. It’s their loss not to play us now n then. They also really do need a bigger check then DG can write.

So this may high Jack the Can’t Amount thread but....... DG and the Concord AD Indicated they would like an annual match Up. I don’t think I would want that. Every other year every couple years ok. Looking through my Yosef colored glasses I see why Charlotte would want that but why would we. See I would pursue ECU for every year. I’m sure their fans would be like “why do that? “ I get the in state, travel, establish a rival, maybe fan interest? Recruiting? for CLT. but I’m trying to see what that does for our program. I mean I enjoy the heck out of seeing us whup em. But would that take away a potential P5? Just wondering.

APP72

Unread post by APP72 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:20 pm

The big donors on the Catamount Pride Board vowed to STOP contributing to WCU sports if they had to come to Boone to play FOOTBALL!
A CHAMPION IS SOMEONE WHO GETS UP WHEN HE CAN’T!
JACK DEMPSEY

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:22 am

1ASU78 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:02 pm
We had a long history with WCU and both have been the UNC System step children. It’s their loss not to play us now n then. They also really do need a bigger check then DG can write.

So this may high Jack the Can’t Amount thread but....... DG and the Concord AD Indicated they would like an annual match Up. I don’t think I would want that. Every other year every couple years ok. Looking through my Yosef colored glasses I see why Charlotte would want that but why would we. See I would pursue ECU for every year. I’m sure their fans would be like “why do that? “ I get the in state, travel, establish a rival, maybe fan interest? Recruiting? for CLT. but I’m trying to see what that does for our program. I mean I enjoy the heck out of seeing us whup em. But would that take away a potential P5? Just wondering.
I don't think it would affect P5 scheduling. We're going to play a mix of P5, G5 and (usually) FCS every year. (Usually the 1-2-1 model Gillin has spoken about before).

I think what it does for us is give us a drivable, in-state road game at a time when our conference doesn't offer any. That's good for travel costs and also for fans. It does at least potentially benefit recruiting. And it hopefully gets us a little extra Charlotte media coverage.

I don't necessarily need to see it every year (ultimately I'd hope we'd just be in the same conference), but it's not the worst idea I've ever heard.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:29 am

APP72 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:20 pm
The big donors on the Catamount Pride Board vowed to STOP contributing to WCU sports if they had to come to Boone to play FOOTBALL!
They would be in deep trouble if they lost both of them.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:21 am

The WCU board was up in arms at the idea of play App ONLY in Boone when App first moved up. I am sure there still would be some hurt feelings, but even for the Catamounts, reality has to seep in at some point. Unfortunately for them, they haven't made a huge amount of progress while App has enjoyed unprecedented success. At some point, they'll show up on our schedule, but I don't see this ever being an annual event. The Mountain Jug is permanently at home in Boone. This isn't going to be a rivalry again unless WCU takes HUGE strides and decides to move up to FBS (unlikely) and we will never be a "money" game for them.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:55 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:21 am
The WCU board was up in arms at the idea of play App ONLY in Boone when App first moved up. I am sure there still would be some hurt feelings, but even for the Catamounts, reality has to seep in at some point. Unfortunately for them, they haven't made a huge amount of progress while App has enjoyed unprecedented success. At some point, they'll show up on our schedule, but I don't see this ever being an annual event. The Mountain Jug is permanently at home in Boone. This isn't going to be a rivalry again unless WCU takes HUGE strides and decides to move up to FBS (unlikely) and we will never be a "money" game for them.
Were there seriously people at WCU who had any thought at all that App would play them at their place after moving up? If they don't want to play us in Boone, whether for $ reasons, pride, or any other reason, that's fine. But they must understand that nobody in FBS plays FCS road games?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:05 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:55 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:21 am
Were there seriously people at WCU who had any thought at all that App would play them at their place after moving up? If they don't want to play us in Boone, whether for $ reasons, pride, or any other reason, that's fine. But they must understand that nobody in FBS plays FCS road games?
There were some who seemed to think they could make demands but I am sure most know how things work. Mostly, I think they were just butt hurt over becoming the even littler brother. :-)

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:29 pm

In the words of Steve Spurrier, "It's not a rivalry if the same team wins every year". Let's face it, App won 25 of 28 games from 1985 thru 2013. I see no issue with App playing them occasionally but I'm sure they get lots more $$ to travel elsewhere.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:05 pm

8 Sunbelt games leaves 4 out of conference games. Two of those should be in state (UNCC, WF, UNC, NCSU, ECU and Duke). The other two should be in SC (USC/Clemson), GA (UGA/GT); TN (UT, Vandy, MTSU, Memphis) or Va (UVA. VaTech, ODU). 17 schools in NC and the states that border. Honestly, it can't be that complicated.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:32 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:05 pm
8 Sunbelt games leaves 4 out of conference games. Two of those should be in state (UNCC, WF, UNC, NCSU, ECU and Duke). The other two should be in SC (USC/Clemson), GA (UGA/GT); TN (UT, Vandy, MTSU, Memphis) or Va (UVA. VaTech, ODU). 17 schools in NC and the states that border. Honestly, it can't be that complicated.
Complicated when most of those P5 schools won't play us.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”