Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Charlotte logo

stafford
School: Appalachian State

Charlotte logo

Unread post by stafford » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:13 am

May have been discussed in the UNCC thread, but did anyone see the new logo and think it looked like an airplane?

Instinctively, I realized it was a “C” design, but had to look at it a while to finally figure out it was a miner’s pick. In theory, it makes sense but I had a tough time figuring it out.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: Charlotte logo

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:28 am

stafford wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:13 am
May have been discussed in the UNCC thread, but did anyone see the new logo and think it looked like an airplane?

Instinctively, I realized it was a “C” design, but had to look at it a while to finally figure out it was a miner’s pick. In theory, it makes sense but I had a tough time figuring it out.
It took me a bit to figure it out as well. Not a bad design but not overly iconic, at least yet. The logo for Central Michigan or some other university was used on the USAToday website for athletic revenue and funding.

It will take time to have news orgs to convert over just like it did for us with the block "A." An airplane logo does make more sense than a miner's pick if you want to be forward looking.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:31 am

I was aware of what it represented. However, it definitely looks like an airplane when it is included with the CLT on the side of the shoulder pad. I thought their unis took a step back yesterday with the new logo on the helmets and the only green being their helmet stripe.
It appeared they were trying to clone UCF with the jerseys and pants.

stafford

Unread post by stafford » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:35 am

Yes, I agree, an airplane does make a lot of sense in an odd way. The history of the 49’ers logo is kind of vague as I understand it and not directly related to mining.

But changing the logo to the Bankers or Transplants wouldn’t work either. They’re so close to the speedway, that a racing logo would make more sense. But, I’m sure they don’t want to be associated with NASCAR or Concord.

TurfMonkey

Unread post by TurfMonkey » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:44 am

I agree, looks like a plane. Also the announcer kept harping that their
uniform numbers were in violation of a new? rule. Have to have dark numbers
or it's a 15 yard penalty at the beginning of each half and loss of a timeout.
New one on me.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:02 am

TurfMonkey wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:44 am
I agree, looks like a plane. Also the announcer kept harping that their
uniform numbers were in violation of a new? rule. Have to have dark numbers
or it's a 15 yard penalty at the beginning of each half and loss of a timeout.
New one on me.
Yeah, I don't know what the heck the guy was talking about...Georgia Tech wore white with gold lettering for away jerseys for years until they started incorporating navy blue into their uniforms, the guy was acting like a fashion designer catching someone wearing white after Labor Day...which I guess technically they were.

TurfMonkey

Unread post by TurfMonkey » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:28 am

Ahh, the old NCAA Rule 1-4-5-b. How could I have forgotten that. Appears the announcer was making his own judgement.
11. What are the rules about the contrast of jerseys and numbers?
By rule each team must wear a jersey that has numbers that clearly contrast with the body of the jersey (Rule 1-4-5-b).
• The number itself must clearly contrast, even if it has an outline or border.
• The number should be clearly visible from a significant distance.
• If there is any question as to whether the number and the jersey contrast, the jersey
may not be worn.
12. What is the penalty for wearing a jersey whose numbers do not contrast?
Teams that wear a jersey during the game that does not conform to the contrasting-number rule will be given the opportunity to change into a legal jersey at the start of the game and before the start of each subsequent quarter, until the jerseys are changed. Officials shall charge the team with one of its allowed timeouts at the start of each quarter that the illegal jersey is worn (Rule 1-4-5-b).

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:38 am

I thought it all looked too small. Last year’s looked much better with the gold helmets (and USSR pick). IMO, they aren’t helping their name confusion/recognition problem changing up everything after making a bowl game. All I care about is that the new logo record is 0-1.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”