Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App #24 in AP Poll

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

App #24 in AP Poll

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:32 pm

hotrod2001

Re: App #24 in AP Poll

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:47 pm

Nice...who would have thought that we'd ever be in a situation where we'd be ranked after the first week of play?

And good job to the Cajuns too...it's about time they got the attention of the AP, that October 7 matchup is going to be a war.

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Oh lord, now we get to rehash whether a ranking is important or not and see how out of touch some of us are with today’s recruiting environment.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:54 pm

We may be in a war before that October match-up. Both games last year with UL were physical battles. Tough stretch of games: UL, Gnats & Ark St. Hope we can have a loud crowd for our Oct home games!!! See y'all in Huntington.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:09 pm

InFor6More wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:52 pm
Oh lord, now we get to rehash whether a ranking is important or not and see how out of touch some of us are with today’s recruiting environment.
Rankings are indeed important for recruiting and marketing exposure. None of us have ever said they are not. However, where we are ranked by the CFP and at the end of the year are what matters as a team because that end of year rating can't be replaced. If we lose 2 before the end of October we definitely won't be ranked.

I don't think anyone is out of touch with recruiting. Everyone knows these 17-18 year olds and even college kids value a rating, social media graphics, etc. I'm sure all of our commits are seeing our rating today and feeling even more proud seeing the school they are committed to ranked.

If we are indeed making a big push for that K from WV then I would think this game with Marshall could very well determine who gets him unless he just wants to get out of WV in general. I consider every game a war in recruiting because sometimes kids literally pick the team who wins the game.

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:45 pm

The game against Louisiana just got a lot more important
The mountains are calling and I must go

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:54 pm

It's great to see regardless of how many teams are left out. It's too bad pollsters aren't voting SBC teams higher though.

I think if I was a pollster, I would make a policy for this year to only vote for teams that have actually played. It's strange to think there are teams that will have played 3 or 4 games before other teams play their first. Just odd.

Also, it's funny to think over half the teams playing this season received votes this week. Too bad the Beach Chickens didn't get any AP votes like they did in the Coaches. I watched their game last night, and thought they looked pretty tough. A State and ULL obviously looked tough too. I think USA and Texas State looked good in their losses yesterday as well - both should have won. A State probably should have won their first game as well.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:47 pm

I’ve noticed that a lot of college guys like the goofy crap that they get to do on the sidelines after a big defensive play. Some guy had a guitar yesterday for some reason

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:34 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:47 pm
I’ve noticed that a lot of college guys like the goofy crap that they get to do on the sidelines after a big defensive play. Some guy had a guitar yesterday for some reason
It’s a game where they chase around an egg shaped ball. Should be fun.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:44 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:34 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
I'm with you. I want them to have fun. Football is fun. My coaches were so old school that we were not allowed to do that stuff very often. I think there are old school characteristics that you want in terms of hard work, play as a unit and not a one man show, etc but players should have fun. You work very hard and play, responsibly, hard.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:31 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:44 pm
ah59396 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
I'm with you. I want them to have fun. Football is fun. My coaches were so old school that we were not allowed to do that stuff very often. I think there are old school characteristics that you want in terms of hard work, play as a unit and not a one man show, etc but players should have fun. You work very hard and play, responsibly, hard.
Oh don’t get me wrong by all means it should be fun. I watched some of the Campbell v Stink game. Coach Minter went for the win which absolutely was the right call. I loved the smile on his face when the conversion failed. It was like, “oh well we tried”. That team is playing like 4 games in the fall and they competed like hell. I’m sure they will bring max effort to our place.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:45 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:31 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Oh don’t get me wrong by all means it should be fun. I watched some of the Campbell v Stink game. Coach Minter went for the win which absolutely was the right call. I loved the smile on his face when the conversion failed. It was like, “oh well we tried”. That team is playing like 4 games in the fall and they competed like hell. I’m sure they will bring max effort to our place.
There is no question we will get Campbell's best shot. I probably would have taken GSU to overtime for one reason. Lack of depth. The longer the game goes the more it hurts GSU but had GSU been at full force I would have absolutely gone for the win. At the end of the day though I don't blame Minter for the call. I completely understood it.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:45 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
There is no question we will get Campbell's best shot. I probably would have taken GSU to overtime for one reason. Lack of depth. The longer the game goes the more it hurts GSU but had GSU been at full force I would have absolutely gone for the win. At the end of the day though I don't blame Minter for the call. I completely understood it.
Campbell's players were gassed. He made the right choice but the Delay of Game penalty made the conversion more difficult.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:07 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:

Campbell's players were gassed. He made the right choice but the Delay of Game penalty made the conversion more difficult.
It seemed like GSU was as well. I thought they would have done a trick play or something to take a chance like that. I always say in overtime the talent does not matter and anything can happen. I expect him to throw everything he has at us when they come up later this month.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:45 am

All the more incentive for Marshall to gain some noteriety and potentially become ranked next week. I just hope we handle being ranked like we’ve been there before, because we have.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:56 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:07 pm
JMappfan5 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

It seemed like GSU was as well. I thought they would have done a trick play or something to take a chance like that. I always say in overtime the talent does not matter and anything can happen. I expect him to throw everything he has at us when they come up later this month.
I’m glad they took GSU to the wire before they played us. Hopefully, our players take notice that they are coming to win.

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:21 am

I think our players will be fine. Like many have said the game Sat wasn’t as close as the score. We had easy to fix dumb mistakes and gave them 2 scores. Can we play like that vs the sunbelt or Marshall? No.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:17 am

Agree with Natty-I don’t think we would have needed a wake up to the talent Minter is putting together down there, but seeing them beat GaSo everywhere but the final scoreboard will have us taking them seriously.
Give 'em hell!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:35 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:17 am
Agree with Natty-I don’t think we would have needed a wake up to the talent Minter is putting together down there, but seeing them beat GaSo everywhere but the final scoreboard will have us taking them seriously.
That definitely helps and I'm glad they did. I was not pulling for them to beat GSU because I pull for SBC teams in OOC play but I'm glad it was a close game to make sure our guys are awake for it.

With that said, I don't think we should ever overlook anyone. I would hope our coaches share the history of our program with our players. We are where we are by pulling off one of the biggest upsets in football history. While we are still David and a team like Michigan or Wisconsin is Goliath, we are Goliath compared to Charlotte, Campbell, etc. We have the big target on our backs and will get the best from everyone. Our players need to realize that and be ready.

We are really about 30 points better than Charlotte but bad mistakes led to just a 15 point win. They gave us their best shot and I think Marshall and Campbell will give us their best shots. Marshall knows they could enter the polls for the first time in a LONG time if they beat us. This is a big game for both teams. Marshall will be considered a good win for us and we would be the win to get them ranked, if they beat us.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:42 am

I have formed the opinion that top 25 is a big deal because your name scrolls along the bottom ticker on the 4 letter network all week. That is exposure you cannot buy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”