Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Ethan Joyce and WSJ

BallantyneApp
School: Appalachian State

Ethan Joyce and WSJ

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:38 am

Just saw on twitter that the beat writer for Wake Forest has been laid off.

Friendly reminder that when you see an article please click on it, even if there is a summary in the tweet or however you find it.

Having a dedicated beat reporter is invaluable, not to mention he puts out great content.

I'm guilty of just getting the twitter summary and moving on, but will be making an effort to click on links.

Neer86

Re: Ethan Joyce and WSJ

Unread post by Neer86 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:49 am

well damn. tough times for newspapers.

appswin1

Unread post by appswin1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:20 am

Good point Ballantyne App

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 am

Just saw that Ed Hardin was included in today’s layoffs. Many (including myself) have questioned his opinions in the past, but getting laid off sucks. It’s happened twice to me, and I’ve been left standing while others around me have been let go, which is no picnic, either. A lot of talent was released this morning...
Give 'em hell!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:27 am

Not to make light of the situation as I can relate after 2009 but if App’s beat writer, EJ, keeps his job, does this mean App owns the W-S market over Weak? Strange considering they are the local ACC powerhouse and own the state of NC according to HC Clawson. This is similar to how App owns the Charlotte market over UNCC.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 am

moonshine wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:27 am
Not to make light of the situation as I can relate after 2009 but if App’s beat writer, EJ, keeps his job, does this mean App owns the W-S market over Weak? Strange considering they are the local ACC powerhouse and own the state of NC according to HC Clawson. This is similar to how App owns the Charlotte market over UNCC.
How do we know he doesn't become the Wake beat writer?

There have been a bunch of layoffs on Virginia dailies as well. Though most of those have been on production side of things. Lee Enterprises owns a large share of the papers and is consolidating a lot of the production/editing/style work.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 am
moonshine wrote:

There have been a bunch of layoffs on Virginia dailies as well. Though most of those have been on production side of things. Lee Enterprises owns a large share of the papers and is consolidating a lot of the production/editing/style work.
That's what I was thinking. There are a lot more sources writing about ACC teams (even Wake Forest) than about App....for now. Ethan Joyce has credibility and sources so it would be easier for him to do double duty (leveraging the volumes of available ACC data) than the other way around. This is just an opinion based on very little actual data.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:42 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 am
moonshine wrote:

I had the same thought as the other person, but then had the same thought as you.

I think Ethans coverage of app extends further across the state than Winston Salem.

Simple math would say that app state produces many more grads than WFU.

Fan hood of wake vs app in the triad is probably similar in terms of numbers.

Don’t know. Would suck to lose Ethan. Can’t really do two football beats, because you can’t be in two places every Saturday.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:15 pm

I'm surprised he mentioned anything. I guess print media decisions are made at such an upper level that fellow journalists aren't worried about discussing HR-related stuff. I'm sure the decisions weren't made in Winston Salem.

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 pm

R.L. Bynum
@RL_Bynum
· 1h
Also laid off by Lee Enterprises is veteran News & Record columnist Ed Hardin. The newspaper business is crazy when so much talent is let go. That leaves N&O's Luke DeCock and The Charlotte Observer's Scott Fowler as North Carolina's only full-time newspaper sports columnists.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:29 pm

You can subscribe to the digital edition of the WS Journal for the next 5 months for a total of 5 bucks. $11/month after that. If you live in the Triad, are gainfully employed, and are already giving to Yosef, etc, there are worse ways to spend between $1 and $11 a month.

Bonus: If they do end up laying off EJ, you can raise a big stink and cancel your subscription.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:22 pm

I feel bad for those impacted by the layoffs. Newspapers are going through a significant market change as a business BUT the actions of so many politicians with this COVID has expedited the loss of many jobs. It is easy for politicians and some others in positions not so sensitive to financial losses to make decisions with little or no regard to how this impacts large segments of the population. I seriously feel pain for those experiencing financial hardships in this situation and believe we could have mitigated this better if more politicians and leaders would follow the science rather than their politics. I know there are some on this board who will jump all over me for this statement. But, I was educated as a scientist and naturally question everything I hear and see so this isn't said without basing my opinions on the best factual information I can get my hands on.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:41 pm

What!!!????

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”