Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Appalachian St at Marshall Game Thread

Apptrain
School: Appalachian State

Re: Appalachian St at Marshall Game Thread

Unread post by Apptrain » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:40 pm

AppRolls wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:25 pm
yosef69 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:23 pm
AppRolls wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:21 pm
AppDub wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:06 pm
Louisiana will own us!
Nice take. Did you see how lousy ULL looked today? SMH
If we don’t figure something out, GA States defense will blank us.
Football is a week to week thing. One of the hallmarks of this program is overcoming early season losses. You low-confidence fair weather fans make me laugh.
Maybe I don’t know the definition of a fair weather fan. I thought that was fans that watch and keep up with the team when things are going well and find something else to do when it isn’t. I see the negative comments as legit concerns and see nothing wrong with dropping the pompoms and telling it like you see it.i don’t think there are too many on here that tune out when the team struggles. I may not be happy during those times and voice negativity but i will always follow App football.

savoyspecial21

Unread post by savoyspecial21 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:40 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:29 pm
What a difference not having a multi-million dollar a year coach on the sidelines made today. The 3 points we should have taken at the half would have been nice in the 4th qtr. Usually when we hold another team to 17 points, we win. Marshall's D wasn't that good, nor was their offense. I forgot about 3rd down and Dale Jones from years gone by, what a refresher today. We can't just show up and win because of our laurels. Lots of mental mistakes, and way too many drive extending gifts to Marshall and drive killing mistakes for us to even sniff winning. How many seniors do we have on our offensive line? We reached our ranking zenith and nixed all NY6, by being ill prepared and making silly mistakes a team with as much experience as we are supposed to have. Give good teams multiple opportunities by being stupid and you lose. Congrats to the Green Assed Hillbillies, they let us hang around long enough, with their stupid. I guess we still have a conference championship to play for. I'll bet Billy Napier is licking his chops. He's a multi-million dollar a year coach, next year. He won't lose to you by being a double-barreled dumb-ass.
To your point on Napier. If our coaching staff calls a game like this against Louisiana and Zac is not WAY more accurate then we will lose to Louisiana. Napier is a great coach and he won't lay an egg like that. They had a tough mental test after being ISU and getting up for a team they should beat and still found a way to win today. This is just one loss and it is early so we have time to come back from this though. The season is not over and we can still play for a lot. This loss hurts but is not the end. I will change my outlook though if things don't get a LOT better in the next two weeks. I remember last year with Charlotte early on and how some of our people felt. We need to beat Campbell like a drum and work out the kinks before GSU and ULL.
If they don't put up 40+ against Campbell, Clark should be fired before he gets back to the locker room.

Good Night.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:42 pm

We returned 8 starters on offense and 7 on defense. So, not quite the same team.

Marshall looked like we have in the past. They ran the ball with authority and controlled both sides of the line. We could not run the ball, they could. We turned it over in the red zone at least three times. Good teams convert those opportunities. Right now we are not a good team. Too many penalties and turnovers. That doesn't mean we can't become a better team but we have a ways to go. We can forget about the NY6 talk. Today was a big slice of humble pie.

Its not a matter of giving up on the team or throwing in the towel. At this very moment it is reality. It doesn't have to be that way in a couple of weeks but we have a lot of work to get there. The Sun Belt is likely as balanced as its been since we've been a member, there are plenty of challenges waiting for us.
Last edited by hapapp on Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Bad day all around. 17 points wasn’t bad for the defense but Marshall could do whatever they wanted on 3rd down.
The offense was abysmal. Besides #5, receivers stopped even trying to get separation. The running game never got going and the O line was manhandled. The receiver on the strip play didn’t look like a D1 player. Play calling looked bad, but what can you do with no execution? Special teams made sure our opponents started with great field position and we were in a hole. This has become a glaring weakness which will bite us in the rear if it isn’t corrected. Better get well against Campbell because the today’s effort will not cut it the following 3 weeks.
Go App!

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:42 pm

We learned a valuable lesson today. We can't just show up and do what we do. We have to have a plan and we have to show up and make plays. People have to step up.

Good game to Marshall.

Will be interesting to see how we respond.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:44 pm

Oh yea, I forgot to add it was all done on CBS.
BLACK SATURDAY

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:44 pm

Don't try and spin it...SB vs CUSA and we laid an egg on national TV

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:46 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:16 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:12 pm
We got outplayed and out coached today.

We are not top 25 team this year.

Can we regroup? Are we going to man up rest of season or not?
That entire team we saw today (minus 2 LB’s and Darrynton Evans) beat USC and UNC last year.

Somehow.
Don't forget our deep threat-field stretcher, the one that opted out. Probably could have used him today.
BLACK SATURDAY

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:49 pm

savoyspecial21 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:40 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:29 pm
What a difference not having a multi-million dollar a year coach on the sidelines made today. The 3 points we should have taken at the half would have been nice in the 4th qtr. Usually when we hold another team to 17 points, we win. Marshall's D wasn't that good, nor was their offense. I forgot about 3rd down and Dale Jones from years gone by, what a refresher today. We can't just show up and win because of our laurels. Lots of mental mistakes, and way too many drive extending gifts to Marshall and drive killing mistakes for us to even sniff winning. How many seniors do we have on our offensive line? We reached our ranking zenith and nixed all NY6, by being ill prepared and making silly mistakes a team with as much experience as we are supposed to have. Give good teams multiple opportunities by being stupid and you lose. Congrats to the Green Assed Hillbillies, they let us hang around long enough, with their stupid. I guess we still have a conference championship to play for. I'll bet Billy Napier is licking his chops. He's a multi-million dollar a year coach, next year. He won't lose to you by being a double-barreled dumb-ass.
To your point on Napier. If our coaching staff calls a game like this against Louisiana and Zac is not WAY more accurate then we will lose to Louisiana. Napier is a great coach and he won't lay an egg like that. They had a tough mental test after being ISU and getting up for a team they should beat and still found a way to win today. This is just one loss and it is early so we have time to come back from this though. The season is not over and we can still play for a lot. This loss hurts but is not the end. I will change my outlook though if things don't get a LOT better in the next two weeks. I remember last year with Charlotte early on and how some of our people felt. We need to beat Campbell like a drum and work out the kinks before GSU and ULL.
If they don't put up 40+ against Campbell, Clark should be fired before he gets back to the locker room.

Good Night.
Not Clark. Peterson.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:49 pm

We got manhandled up front , no room to run. Beat in every phase.Our special teams are a nightmare.Marshall seemed bigger , stronger and faster everywhere on the field .Despite this it was a few really really bad mental breakdowns that sealed our fate. Make no mistake, we had our assses handed to us by a better team , yet we were in it until the blown field goal. Yes we laid a big egg on national TV.My Hope is that Marshall is very very good.

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:50 pm

I am an App grad from '86. Today is the most embarrassed I have been. Don't talk about who COULD have been playing. If they OPT out, then win with what you have!!!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:52 pm

Pretty equal statistically. Marshall ain’t bad. It’s 1 game and we are spoiled.

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:52 pm

I've been to as many games as anyone on this. What happened today was NOT APP STATE FOOTBALL!!!

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:57 pm

Am I off base thinking we shot ourselves in the foot by not having a coming out party today for Cam Peoples? 8 out of 10 times he touches the ball it's an above average result!

What am I missing? Is he still injured? re-injured? on double secret probation? whaaaaaat?

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:57 pm

Some of you all are acting like callers to the Paul Finebaum Show...don't be like that.

Jeff Gordon said it best, when you win all the time, you forget how to lose. Marshall had an impromptu opportunity to play a ranked opponent at home to a stadium which could actually allow a crowd into. They're also one of C-USA's top teams so it's not like we lost to UTEP, anyone with nuance knew that this would be a tight game.

Yeah they played a little crappy, Marshall had their shares as well...I mean I'd almost swear the refs were Steelers fans with the amount of yellow flags they were throwing out there.

18 needs to snap out of it...you messed up, it happens. You win as a team, you lose as a team...the rest of the team had plenty of opportunities to get it to the point where that shouldn't have been as critical of a turnover as it was. Shake it off and prepare for Campbell.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:58 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:49 pm
We got manhandled up front , no room to run. Beat in every phase.Our special teams are a nightmare.Marshall seemed bigger , stronger and faster everywhere on the field .Despite this it was a few really really bad mental breakdowns that sealed our fate. Make no mistake, we had our assses handed to us by a better team , yet we were in it until the blown field goal. Yes we laid a big egg on national TV.My Hope is that Marshall is very very good.
I think you nailed it. Haven’t seen our lines on both sides of the ball get diced like I saw. I will dance around this gingerly but I see a lot of JM ball in this group. Here’s a funny story while in the stands staying till the end against my better judgement. While we were watching the field goal with 3 mins to go I turned around and told the guy behind us I couldn’t watch I have no faith. He got mad mumbled something and said that’s ridiculous. I turned around and didn’t watch and didn’t even have too. I knew and me and my daughter left . What I’m proud about is with all the crappy play we still had a chance to even it out. Clark needs to right the ship with offensive play calling because it was god awful.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:00 pm

Mike Evans is getting crushed on Twitter.
YNWA

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:03 pm

Clark better get a hold of this team’s attitude. After Evans’ episode this week, His fumble was a great lesson in life. The team played like they were going to walk out on the field and win. That attitude shows up in sloppy play, dumb penalties and players acting like jerks. National tv embarrassment

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:04 pm

I'm embarrassed - by the comments on this board. I thought I was upset, I feel better now knowing that I haven't lost my mind. What's up with all these people with extremely low post counts wanting our coaches fired? Troll much? Maybe you should go pull for State or UNC. Get a grip people. We can't go undefeated every year. I've got plenty of questions, especially about offensive play calling, but some of you folks have lost your ever loving minds.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:06 pm

AppRolls wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:21 pm
AppDub wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:06 pm
Louisiana will own us!
Nice take. Did you see how lousy ULL looked today? SMH
Sure did. Also saw how lousy we are at showing up on the big stage. Shake your head all you want, but a ranked Louisiana team will absolute bring with it another big stage. This team may be able to rise to the occasion, but judging by this week, its a long way to get there with a short time to do it. Call it like I see it as do others on here. We don't have to drink Kool aid to be a true fan.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”