Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Appalachian St at Marshall Game Thread

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: Appalachian St at Marshall Game Thread

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:44 pm

InFor6More wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:34 pm
appdaze wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:46 pm
For everyone trying to say it was just one game and we will grow. This one game just eliminated the biggest chance we will get for who knows how long to get in one of the biggest bowl games and to show the nation on a national prime time slot that our growth meant something and that we are ready to stand with the AAC and the Boise st, UCF type of schools. Say what you want about the rest of our season. This really hurt the momentum we've been building since 2014. You can gripe about the negativity all you want, but the truth is that perception is everything. To repeat it again, we didn't lose a close game people could be proud of, we got castrated on national TV. We can run the table now and "salvage" the season and enjoy New Orleans again but our chance to make a national statement is gone and the TV peeps won't soon forget this either. No more CBS. The hype train didn't wreck, it just vanished. For all those saying we are crying and have forgotten how to take a loss, that wasn't a loss, that was a perception defining moment that will stick with us for years.

To end my night I am not calling for anyone's head yet. If we lose to the Cajuns, GA southern, and one more on top of this with all the talent that we have and how weak most of our schedule is then my feelings might be a bit different.
I don’t agree with this at all. No one but Mountaineers will even remember this a year from now. It’s not a catastrophe event for the program, it’s a throat punch and we’ll pick ourselves up, come out and hang 50 on Campbell and work out some kinks. Yes, the News Years Six is long gone and I don’t know that our staff is capable of putting the kids in position to wins all of the remaining games but they’ll grow. The team needs our support right now. Most of these comments are way over the top and I want to win as much as anybody.

So the game was on national television. Half of the teams that play on national TV lose each week. Move on.
Sorry, to an extent I have to agree with appdaze. We will only get so many chances to overcome the thought that we’re just another good G5 team who gets a few fluke wins over a P5 now and then. Nobody who watch us today thinks we’re really a top 25 team.

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:05 pm

4DHerd wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:36 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:49 pm
We got manhandled up front , no room to run. Beat in every phase.Our special teams are a nightmare.Marshall seemed bigger , stronger and faster everywhere on the field .Despite this it was a few really really bad mental breakdowns that sealed our fate. Make no mistake, we had our assses handed to us by a better team , yet we were in it until the blown field goal. Yes we laid a big egg on national TV.My Hope is that Marshall is very very good.
I shared early this week that you all would struggle with our speed and size. We are not the same team as last years MU team. We have people back from injuries and now a QB for the future. You guys will be ok this season and should win out but most everyone of you did not think we would make this a game. Our D held you all to under 100 yards rushing and to 7 pts. Our boys pushed you all around most all night. Your team also at times took dirty cheap shots and got away with a lot crap. Go Herd and down with the Eer's.
cute calling out our cheap shots when your corners couldn't resist it all day. congrats on your win, now go back to your shanty.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:12 pm

From the stands, it wasn’t pretty today.

Here’s what is missing from the teams we have put on the field the last few years:

1. The Herd dominated us in the trenches on both sides of the ball. No holes for our running game, no penetration or pass rush from our D Line
2: it is not unexpected, but linebackers are struggling vs. previous years
3. The defense isn’t dictating play. The defense is static. There is no pre-snap movement or shifts. The few blitzes didn’t get home. We should have been pressuring a young QB; but didn’t
4. We used to dare teams to return kickoffs. Now the coverage is abysmal
5. No bubble screens, one jet sweep in two games, and we’re not flooding a zone with receivers at multiple levels.
6. Our receivers are not getting separation.
7. The sideline seemed flat all game.
8. We are a sloppy, sloppy football team

Despite all of that, if we get 3 before the half. Finish the Evans drive and make a simple field goal late, we are up 20-17. Defense struggled to get off the field, but still only gave up 17 points. Lots of talent, not a lot of execution.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:25 pm

Also at the game today. Defense played mostly well. 3rd down not so great. Never felt like we were dominating the line of scrimmage and never made their freshman quarterback uncomfortable. Weirdly felt like the defense was being pushed slowly backwards on ice. But compared to the offense worlds better. I don’t expect 60 ppg, but we ran our offense like we were up 10 the whole game. Zero urgency until the end when magically we sped it up and started moving the ball. I watched the whole game and it felt like app never got the memo it had started. Someone else said it, but Marshall looked like app in this game. Thomas looked like he was at a quarterback camp. He stared receivers down and made several questionable
throws. Hard to gage the backs because they had zero running lanes. Marshall dared Thomas to beat them through the air and he sure couldn’t. His biggest completion down field was a miracle catch by Hennigan. But more than all that, we lacked that intensity and edge on both sides of the ball. We looked timid and truthfully too cool to play hard. I know that may be unfair but I never saw any emotion from us at all. The term going through the motions was uttered several times during the game. Obviously we can’t win em all and the players hurt more than we do. But man we need more
Fire on the sidelines.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:58 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:25 pm
Also at the game today. Defense played mostly well. 3rd down not so great. Never felt like we were dominating the line of scrimmage and never made their freshman quarterback uncomfortable. Weirdly felt like the defense was being pushed slowly backwards on ice. But compared to the offense worlds better. I don’t expect 60 ppg, but we ran our offense like we were up 10 the whole game. Zero urgency until the end when magically we sped it up and started moving the ball. I watched the whole game and it felt like app never got the memo it had started. Someone else said it, but Marshall looked like app in this game. Thomas looked like he was at a quarterback camp. He stared receivers down and made several questionable
throws. Hard to gage the backs because they had zero running lanes. Marshall dared Thomas to beat them through the air and he sure couldn’t. His biggest completion down field was a miracle catch by Hennigan. But more than all that, we lacked that intensity and edge on both sides of the ball. We looked timid and truthfully too cool to play hard. I know that may be unfair but I never saw any emotion from us at all. The term going through the motions was uttered several times during the game. Obviously we can’t win em all and the players hurt more than we do. But man we need more
Fire on the sidelines.
I couldn’t see it on tv so I’m curious. Were any of our receivers getting separation? Zac seemed to struggle with his accuracy a bit and targeted Hennigan a lot, but I got the impression no one was open. Which would make sense if we couldn’t run the ball.
YNWA

App90

Unread post by App90 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:10 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:12 pm

Here’s what is missing from the teams we have put on the field the last few years:

1. The Herd dominated us in the trenches on both sides of the ball. No holes for our running game, no penetration or pass rush from our D Line
3. The defense isn’t dictating play. The defense is static. There is no pre-snap movement or shifts. The few blitzes didn’t get home. We should have been pressuring a young QB; but didn’t
5. No bubble screens, one jet sweep in two games, and we’re not flooding a zone with receivers at multiple levels.

Despite all of that, if we get 3 before the half. Finish the Evans drive and make a simple field goal late, we are up 20-17. Defense struggled to get off the field, but still only gave up 17 points. Lots of talent, not a lot of execution.
Was there also.

I know the LB's are young but there were a lot of gap responsibilities that were missed.
Guys were getting caught up in the wash and sort of lost in the line.
Especially on 3rd down. Got cleaned up in the 4th quarter.

The MU corners were getting away with a lot of holds all day long.

It just seemed App State was just there.

Lets look at this objectively, Williams out, Pearson out, Zac Crosby left the game out, Sutton opted out. Those guys are game changers. I also think and know App State may have more injuries that are not being talked about and those guys played. This will eventually show up.

Either way App States defense held them to 17. Gotta find some offense. Running the ball 20 times into the inside gap and getting 33 yards means you move on to some thing else.

Can not beat very many good teams with those 2 drive killing turnovers turnovers that were close to being TD,s. I am afraid today App State actually beat themselves.

Marshall had two weeks off, has another 2 weeks offs, so lets see how they finish out. If Covid 19 keeps wrecking Conference USA teams that might be it for them playing wise.

App90

Unread post by App90 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:18 am

ah59396 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:58 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Fire on the sidelines.
I couldn’t see it on tv so I’m curious. Were any of our receivers getting separation? Zac seemed to struggle with his accuracy a bit and targeted Hennigan a lot, but I got the impression no one was open. Which would make sense if we couldn’t run the ball.
They were being jammed at the line, the windows got tight that game, and the separation if there was any would quickly evaporate. On some plays they were under thrown, over thrown, or the pass got there late. Ill say it again. I noticed a lot of subtle jersey and arm grabbing by MU as the ball would start to get contested. Just kind of a bad day...

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:34 am

I am spoiled with winning and don’t like to lose as much as anybody, but also have to step back and take a reality check.

Folks should quit calling for coaches heads at this point. This is the third set of coaches in three years so it takes a toll. Even though I hoped, and kind of expected us, to not have any bumps in the road,we did. The early results aren’t pretty. However, I remind everyone, all new coaching staffs require some ramp up time. It may take some time for this staff to smooth out the rough edges, assuming they can, and I will assume they will for now. We need more time to see how this staff performs.

I don’t like what I saw on offense and special teams today but will wait and see how they progress, even if they disappoint in near term.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:54 am

I came here tonight to say a few things but it looks like many have already been said. After the last few years, we have tried to claim to be a legitimate G5 Powerhouse, and the best team in NC. However, time after time again we fail embarrassingly on National TV. This is the 3rd straight year we have been ranked, but the 3rd straight year we have played our worse game when everyone is watching us. Ga So in 18 (I know Zac got hurt but the whole team played terrible) and 19 were the same way, except we actually had a fighting chance last year.

If App St wants to be more than the team that beat Michigan or a team that wins a bad conference, then we have to consistently win games against the Marshall’s of the world. ESPECIALLY on National TV.

At the end of the day, I think this was a wake up call to fans like myself. I don’t see us on the same level as Memphis, Cincy, or Boise after the start to this season. Unfortunately, who knows when will get this type of collective talent again, and that is what worries me for the Clark era.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:05 am

InFor6More wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:34 pm
appdaze wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:46 pm
For everyone trying to say it was just one game and we will grow. This one game just eliminated the biggest chance we will get for who knows how long to get in one of the biggest bowl games and to show the nation on a national prime time slot that our growth meant something and that we are ready to stand with the AAC and the Boise st, UCF type of schools. Say what you want about the rest of our season. This really hurt the momentum we've been building since 2014. You can gripe about the negativity all you want, but the truth is that perception is everything. To repeat it again, we didn't lose a close game people could be proud of, we got castrated on national TV. We can run the table now and "salvage" the season and enjoy New Orleans again but our chance to make a national statement is gone and the TV peeps won't soon forget this either. No more CBS. The hype train didn't wreck, it just vanished. For all those saying we are crying and have forgotten how to take a loss, that wasn't a loss, that was a perception defining moment that will stick with us for years.

To end my night I am not calling for anyone's head yet. If we lose to the Cajuns, GA southern, and one more on top of this with all the talent that we have and how weak most of our schedule is then my feelings might be a bit different.
I don’t agree with this at all. No one but Mountaineers will even remember this a year from now. It’s not a catastrophe event for the program, it’s a throat punch and we’ll pick ourselves up, come out and hang 50 on Campbell and work out some kinks. Yes, the News Years Six is long gone and I don’t know that our staff is capable of putting the kids in position to wins all of the remaining games but they’ll grow. The team needs our support right now. Most of these comments are way over the top and I want to win as much as anybody.

So the game was on national television. Half of the teams that play on national TV lose each week. Move on.
At the beginning of the year, I would have said we would beat Campbell by 40 at least. I’m not sure honestly now. I wouldn’t be shocked if we get upset by a hungrier team. I have little confidence in this coaching staff right now until they show me something besides a sloppy game of unprepared players.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:04 am

ah59396 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
Fire on the sidelines.
There wasn’t much separation but Thomas missed a lot of throws. He was really aiming the ball and when he wasnt he was staring down receivers bad!! Like I am taking the snap and throwing it to this receiver whether he’s open or not. I know this may not be popular but this was easily the worst game I’ve seen Thomas play.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:27 am

One thing I thought was kind of weird from Coach Clark presser was when ask about Williams. He said he saw him dressed out during warmups, then we n street clothes at half...reply continued he did not know why...would need to talk to coaching staff. Maybe this was just a deflection reply because he did not want to discuss injury.. if my starting running back from week prior, seems I would know
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:30 am

App90 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:18 am
ah59396 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
Fire on the sidelines.
They were being jammed at the line, the windows got tight that game, and the separation if there was any would quickly evaporate. On some plays they were under thrown, over thrown, or the pass got there late. Ill say it again. I noticed a lot of subtle jersey and arm grabbing by MU as the ball would start to get contested. Just kind of a bad day...
We were also going deep in the depth chart. Virgil was dinged up and didn’t play most of the second half. Malik Williams took himself out a few time and seemed to be dealing with something, before making a couple of nice catches late.

I am a ZT fan, but he doesn’t have many career 300 yard games. Our passing game is much better when we are ahead of the chains.
We abandoned the first down run in the 2nd half (truthfully, it wasn’t working). If we misfired on a first down pass, we were behind the chains.
While we ran for less than 40 yards in the first half, we were one tackle away from breaking big gains. Those opportunities disappeared in the 2nd half. Marshall schemed us well

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:43 am

WASU 93 wrote:

Continuing on your point, but pregame as I watched I told the App fan next to me how nonchalant/not focused they seemed to be. While Marshall was in full pads and in workmen like mode. * Can someone explain to me why the players don't go full pads at all in pregame? APP is the only team i've seen do this.

That being said it's early. The team is talented and can continue to get better and have a great year.
Last edited by Appmountaineers19 on Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:10 am

Not about to give up on this group. They have a record of accomplishment that is unmatched, and they’ve done it with three coaching staffs in four years.
With that said, the challenge is put before them, and it’s going to require getting better and fast. The status quo is not going to get it done.
The O- line should be humbled greatly this morning. It’s like getting beat up badly in front of the whole school.
It’s time for a running back to step up and be THE back. We can still use all three to keep depth and fresh legs, but we need a signature RB more than a committee. Receivers need to practice with defensive backs mugging them. When Marshall shut down our run, Zac couldn’t find open receivers because they couldn’t get separation.
Special teams are a serious concern. Not just a kicker, but coverage, tackling, returning, etc... Nothing on special teams has looked good. Startling drop off from just last year. Shawn has to determine if it’s coaching or personnel.
Defense, which most thought might be down, has been a bright spot, but we can certainly tighten up in the middle and get a stop on 3rd down. Nothing is as demoralizing as an 11 yard run on 3rd and 11.
Coaching. We wanted an App guy, and we have one. He’s a great guy and he needs our support now. There’s plenty of blame to go around, but Clark had zero fumbles in week one and didn’t miss a block yesterday.

The sun did, in fact, come up this morning. Let’s regroup, beat Campbell, and get ready for the three biggest weeks of the season.

Go App!

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:13 am

App90 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:10 am
WASU 93 wrote:

Was there also.

I know the LB's are young but there were a lot of gap responsibilities that were missed.
Guys were getting caught up in the wash and sort of lost in the line.
Especially on 3rd down. Got cleaned up in the 4th quarter.

The MU corners were getting away with a lot of holds all day long.

It just seemed App State was just there.

Lets look at this objectively, Williams out, Pearson out, Zac Crosby left the game out, Sutton opted out. Those guys are game changers. I also think and know App State may have more injuries that are not being talked about and those guys played. This will eventually show up.

Either way App States defense held them to 17. Gotta find some offense. Running the ball 20 times into the inside gap and getting 33 yards means you move on to some thing else.

Can not beat very many good teams with those 2 drive killing turnovers turnovers that were close to being TD,s. I am afraid today App State actually beat themselves.

Marshall had two weeks off, has another 2 weeks offs, so lets see how they finish out. If Covid 19 keeps wrecking Conference USA teams that might be it for them playing wise.

THIS!!

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:35 am

App is a talented team that has played 2 bad games. Against average teams you can play bad and still win due to the talent gap. Against good teams, like Marshall, you will lose every time if you have special team mistakes and turn the ball over.

Clean it up and many of Apps goals this season are attainable, but there are a lot of good teams in the conference this year, so if they don't there will be more tough Saturdays ahead.

Even though we lost, I enjoyed seeing App v Marshall again. I have a lot of respect for their program and history. Like App, they have won at every level and have come up the right way.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:42 am

Yesterday, the football gods were not kind to 90’s era App teammates who are now head coaches.

Satt, Elliott and Clark all took L’s on National tv.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 am

Lord have mercy! Calling for heads 1loss into a 3rd coaching change in 3 years is just nuts. We gave Capel more time than this. Don’t discount Marshall. Their lines are excellent. Yes our coaches have work to do but let’s give it a rest for a few weeks. And Campbell did score 21 this week.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:14 am

APP93 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:35 am
Even though we lost, I enjoyed seeing App v Marshall again. I have a lot of respect for their program and history. Like App, they have won at every level and have come up the right way.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. They were busted for cheating; academic fraud and paying excessive wages to players for menial jobs. They were put on probation and lost scholarships. All of their move-up success was based on cheating.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”