Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Appalachian St at Marshall Game Thread

Mjohn1988
School: Appalachian State

Re: Appalachian St at Marshall Game Thread

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:50 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:40 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:35 pm
savoyspecial21 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:04 pm
Ok, let's take the kid gloves off...and please note, i've been holding this back since last year, because i was trying to stay positive and optimistic...

Sean Clark was a step back.

It was a small time school/panic move.

And the unfortunate (possibly melodramatic) reality is, the growth and excitement and upward trajectory of this program has officially been stunted.

I truly, truly, truly hope i'm wrong.
Don't worry. You are.
Been beat 8 of 12 quarters since the change. I hope your right. Time for this staff to show what they got.
Not close to giving up on Clark but this is a true statement. I watched the bowl game several times, it was a really ugly win. Watched the UNCC game over and that was another ugly win. This one today was just ugly.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:52 pm

How is it not fair to say the honeymoon is over?

We scored 7 points people. I’m not calling for heads but god damn something needs to change.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:54 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:43 pm
Remember when Satt was a bad choice? Yeah, me too.

Maybe some folks need to put down the computer, grab a beer, and chill out. Let the season play out and see what happens. With the way some on here rush to judgement, I’d hate to work for many of you. I’d be fired on day 2...
Yeah I hope and think Clark will turn it around. 2020 is the year to have speed bumps since it’s a throwaway.

But there is a difference between Satt inheriting a mediocre fcs team and then revamping the offense and defense while getting us up to fbs depth,and Clark inheriting maybe the best team we’ve ever had and not changing our offense or defense.

I have faith we’ll take next week to refocus and find out App identity.

Still great to be a mountaineer

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:05 pm

Sad state of affairs. Many points have been touched on. A couple of folks mentioned that the team looked “10 year ago ish” and that the team had a JM look and that we looked “FCS ish”: all valid. The same things were said last week however: the special teams were and are DII level. I’ll say it, like I said last week,” if we don’t correct the special teams mistakes and penalties and fumbles we will be embarrassed by Campbell. Love coach Clark but he’s failed his first coaching test by not putting the proper emphasis on special teams. We are spoiled as someone said , well ok?!!? And it doesn’t mean a hill of beans how many posts someone has.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:09 pm

I totally disagree that 2020 is a throwaway year. This is a year to get exposure to recruits through mid-October given two P5 conferences not playing.
I may be wrong, however, Marshall is not that good in my opinion. We shall see at the end of the year. We were just not very creative on offense except the run by Virgil and the 4th down play and the ultimate result was a disaster due to the fumble. I understand the couple of further down field throws to Hennigan because you can get those penalties much more frequently in college ball. However, we seemed try to it several times with short throws down sidelines....like it was going to be some type of back shoulder throw but it wasn't really. At the beginning of season, if someone said to me we only give up 17 points in any game (except to Wisconsin if they were still on schedule), I would have said we win all those games by 2 TDs.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

stafford

Unread post by stafford » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:14 pm

Had a chance to go to a live college sporting event. Had to make a call early in the 2nd quarter. Chose to stay home and watch App on TV.... Was ok until the touchback. Still pissed. If you can’t get off the field on 3rd and long, you LOSE.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:16 pm

pop5app wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:05 pm
Sad state of affairs. Many points have been touched on. A couple of folks mentioned that the team looked “10 year ago ish” and that the team had a JM look and that we looked “FCS ish”: all valid. The same things were said last week however: the special teams were and are DII level. I’ll say it, like I said last week,” if we don’t correct the special teams mistakes and penalties and fumbles we will be embarrassed by Campbell. Love coach Clark but he’s failed his first coaching test by not putting the proper emphasis on special teams. We are spoiled as someone said , well ok?!!? And it doesn’t mean a hill of beans how many posts someone has.
Pop5app we were just beat down this entire games. It’s amazing it was just ten points . We didn’t look FCS but we did look smaller and we’re definitely beat down the entire game on both sides of the ball. Turnovers, personal fouls, and special teams have been astonishing to watch . Honestly not well coached imho.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:29 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:52 pm
How is it not fair to say the honeymoon is over?

We scored 7 points people. I’m not calling for heads but god damn something needs to change.
Not sure we would have scored 7 w/o penalties on them

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:33 pm

savoyspecial21 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:40 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:29 pm
What a difference not having a multi-million dollar a year coach on the sidelines made today. The 3 points we should have taken at the half would have been nice in the 4th qtr. Usually when we hold another team to 17 points, we win. Marshall's D wasn't that good, nor was their offense. I forgot about 3rd down and Dale Jones from years gone by, what a refresher today. We can't just show up and win because of our laurels. Lots of mental mistakes, and way too many drive extending gifts to Marshall and drive killing mistakes for us to even sniff winning. How many seniors do we have on our offensive line? We reached our ranking zenith and nixed all NY6, by being ill prepared and making silly mistakes a team with as much experience as we are supposed to have. Give good teams multiple opportunities by being stupid and you lose. Congrats to the Green Assed Hillbillies, they let us hang around long enough, with their stupid. I guess we still have a conference championship to play for. I'll bet Billy Napier is licking his chops. He's a multi-million dollar a year coach, next year. He won't lose to you by being a double-barreled dumb-ass.
To your point on Napier. If our coaching staff calls a game like this against Louisiana and Zac is not WAY more accurate then we will lose to Louisiana. Napier is a great coach and he won't lay an egg like that. They had a tough mental test after being ISU and getting up for a team they should beat and still found a way to win today. This is just one loss and it is early so we have time to come back from this though. The season is not over and we can still play for a lot. This loss hurts but is not the end. I will change my outlook though if things don't get a LOT better in the next two weeks. I remember last year with Charlotte early on and how some of our people felt. We need to beat Campbell like a drum and work out the kinks before GSU and ULL.
If they don't put up 40+ against Campbell, Clark should be fired before he gets back to the locker room.

Good Night.
Nite nite sunshine 😘... but why don’t I see u here during the good times? 🙄

ASU843

Unread post by ASU843 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:35 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:50 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:40 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:35 pm
savoyspecial21 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:04 pm
Ok, let's take the kid gloves off...and please note, i've been holding this back since last year, because i was trying to stay positive and optimistic...

Sean Clark was a step back.

It was a small time school/panic move.

And the unfortunate (possibly melodramatic) reality is, the growth and excitement and upward trajectory of this program has officially been stunted.

I truly, truly, truly hope i'm wrong.
Don't worry. You are.
Been beat 8 of 12 quarters since the change. I hope your right. Time for this staff to show what they got.
Not close to giving up on Clark but this is a true statement. I watched the bowl game several times, it was a really ugly win. Watched the UNCC game over and that was another ugly win. This one today was just ugly.
It is too early to tell if we pulled the trigger to quick on hiring a head coach. However, the trend over the last three games is not looking good. Still hopeful but worried...

4DHerd
School: Marshall

Unread post by 4DHerd » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:36 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:49 pm
We got manhandled up front , no room to run. Beat in every phase.Our special teams are a nightmare.Marshall seemed bigger , stronger and faster everywhere on the field .Despite this it was a few really really bad mental breakdowns that sealed our fate. Make no mistake, we had our assses handed to us by a better team , yet we were in it until the blown field goal. Yes we laid a big egg on national TV.My Hope is that Marshall is very very good.
I shared early this week that you all would struggle with our speed and size. We are not the same team as last years MU team. We have people back from injuries and now a QB for the future. You guys will be ok this season and should win out but most everyone of you did not think we would make this a game. Our D held you all to under 100 yards rushing and to 7 pts. Our boys pushed you all around most all night. Your team also at times took dirty cheap shots and got away with a lot crap. Go Herd and down with the Eer's.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:42 pm

4DHerd wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:36 pm
Stonewall wrote:
We got manhandled up front , no room to run. Beat in every phase.Our special teams are a nightmare.Marshall seemed bigger , stronger and faster everywhere on the field .Despite this it was a few really really bad mental breakdowns that sealed our fate. Make no mistake, we had our assses handed to us by a better team , yet we were in it until the blown field goal. Yes we laid a big egg on national TV.My Hope is that Marshall is very very good.
I shared early this week that you all would struggle with our speed and size. We are not the same team as last years MU team. We have people back from injuries and now a QB for the future. You guys will be ok this season and should win out but most everyone of you did not think we would make this a game. Our D held you all to under 100 yards rushing and to 7 pts. Our boys pushed you all around most all night. Your team also at times took dirty cheap shots and got away with a lot crap. Go Herd and down with the Eer's.
Enjoy the win in your moms basement tonight!
YNWA

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:44 pm

4DHerd wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:36 pm
Stonewall wrote:
No need for that. Congrats on the win. I saw some shots by both teams that were unsportsmanlike.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:46 pm

For everyone trying to say it was just one game and we will grow. This one game just eliminated the biggest chance we will get for who knows how long to get in one of the biggest bowl games and to show the nation on a national prime time slot that our growth meant something and that we are ready to stand with the AAC and the Boise st, UCF type of schools. Say what you want about the rest of our season. This really hurt the momentum we've been building since 2014. You can gripe about the negativity all you want, but the truth is that perception is everything. To repeat it again, we didn't lose a close game people could be proud of, we got castrated on national TV. We can run the table now and "salvage" the season and enjoy New Orleans again but our chance to make a national statement is gone and the TV peeps won't soon forget this either. No more CBS. The hype train didn't wreck, it just vanished. For all those saying we are crying and have forgotten how to take a loss, that wasn't a loss, that was a perception defining moment that will stick with us for years.

To end my night I am not calling for anyone's head yet. If we lose to the Cajuns, GA southern, and one more on top of this with all the talent that we have and how weak most of our schedule is then my feelings might be a bit different.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:09 pm
I totally disagree that 2020 is a throwaway year. This is a year to get exposure to recruits through mid-October given two P5 conferences not playing.
I may be wrong, however, Marshall is not that good in my opinion. We shall see at the end of the year. We were just not very creative on offense except the run by Virgil and the 4th down play and the ultimate result was a disaster due to the fumble. I understand the couple of further down field throws to Hennigan because you can get those penalties much more frequently in college ball. However, we seemed try to it several times with short throws down sidelines....like it was going to be some type of back shoulder throw but it wasn't really. At the beginning of season, if someone said to me we only give up 17 points in any game (except to Wisconsin if they were still on schedule), I would have said we win all those games by 2 TDs.
I agree with this. I told someone earlier tonight that this wouldn't sting so badly if I thought Marshall was just that good, but I don't. They don't have anything that we haven't seen, and beaten, a better version of.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:53 pm

booneboy92 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:33 pm
savoyspecial21 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:40 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:29 pm
What a difference not having a multi-million dollar a year coach on the sidelines made today. The 3 points we should have taken at the half would have been nice in the 4th qtr. Usually when we hold another team to 17 points, we win. Marshall's D wasn't that good, nor was their offense. I forgot about 3rd down and Dale Jones from years gone by, what a refresher today. We can't just show up and win because of our laurels. Lots of mental mistakes, and way too many drive extending gifts to Marshall and drive killing mistakes for us to even sniff winning. How many seniors do we have on our offensive line? We reached our ranking zenith and nixed all NY6, by being ill prepared and making silly mistakes a team with as much experience as we are supposed to have. Give good teams multiple opportunities by being stupid and you lose. Congrats to the Green Assed Hillbillies, they let us hang around long enough, with their stupid. I guess we still have a conference championship to play for. I'll bet Billy Napier is licking his chops. He's a multi-million dollar a year coach, next year. He won't lose to you by being a double-barreled dumb-ass.
To your point on Napier. If our coaching staff calls a game like this against Louisiana and Zac is not WAY more accurate then we will lose to Louisiana. Napier is a great coach and he won't lay an egg like that. They had a tough mental test after being ISU and getting up for a team they should beat and still found a way to win today. This is just one loss and it is early so we have time to come back from this though. The season is not over and we can still play for a lot. This loss hurts but is not the end. I will change my outlook though if things don't get a LOT better in the next two weeks. I remember last year with Charlotte early on and how some of our people felt. We need to beat Campbell like a drum and work out the kinks before GSU and ULL.
If they don't put up 40+ against Campbell, Clark should be fired before he gets back to the locker room.

Good Night.
Nite nite sunshine 😘... but why don’t I see u here during the good times? 🙄
What’s going on here Savoy? This offense isn’t putting 40 on anyone. And you sir are ridiculous. Clark fired lol get a grip weirdo.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:09 pm

I had noted during the game that one of our more important defensive linemen looked noticeably slower and out of shape. Not sure if I saw him on the field later in the game. Anyone else concur?

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:12 pm

Not ready to panic yet...time will tell if the seemingly state of WV good ole boy network is legit.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:18 pm

Agree with Appdaze, this is a big loss on a big stage, not sure it can be spun otherwise.

Looking forward to the rest of the season, we have some big Sun Belt games coming up, UL, ASU, Stink, GaSt it’s not going to be easy.

InFor6More

Unread post by InFor6More » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:34 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:46 pm
For everyone trying to say it was just one game and we will grow. This one game just eliminated the biggest chance we will get for who knows how long to get in one of the biggest bowl games and to show the nation on a national prime time slot that our growth meant something and that we are ready to stand with the AAC and the Boise st, UCF type of schools. Say what you want about the rest of our season. This really hurt the momentum we've been building since 2014. You can gripe about the negativity all you want, but the truth is that perception is everything. To repeat it again, we didn't lose a close game people could be proud of, we got castrated on national TV. We can run the table now and "salvage" the season and enjoy New Orleans again but our chance to make a national statement is gone and the TV peeps won't soon forget this either. No more CBS. The hype train didn't wreck, it just vanished. For all those saying we are crying and have forgotten how to take a loss, that wasn't a loss, that was a perception defining moment that will stick with us for years.

To end my night I am not calling for anyone's head yet. If we lose to the Cajuns, GA southern, and one more on top of this with all the talent that we have and how weak most of our schedule is then my feelings might be a bit different.
I don’t agree with this at all. No one but Mountaineers will even remember this a year from now. It’s not a catastrophe event for the program, it’s a throat punch and we’ll pick ourselves up, come out and hang 50 on Campbell and work out some kinks. Yes, the News Years Six is long gone and I don’t know that our staff is capable of putting the kids in position to wins all of the remaining games but they’ll grow. The team needs our support right now. Most of these comments are way over the top and I want to win as much as anybody.

So the game was on national television. Half of the teams that play on national TV lose each week. Move on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”