Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Clark Post Game--Marshall

WataugaMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Clark Post Game--Marshall

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:03 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:24 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:22 pm
app97 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:56 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:39 pm
I thought the team was undisciplined going back to the NOLA Bowl.

I concur with the points made about Clark maybe being too much of a player's coach.
The last time that App players had a large influence in hiring a coach, we ended up with Capel....just sayin.
Here's hoping Clark will turn this ship around. However, if his job performance continues on the current path I don't see him being around for to long. With that said, we're only two games into the season and now is not the time to throw the baby out with the bath water. I'd say we'll know more after the Louisiana and The Stink games. Fingers crossed.
What happens if Campbell gives us a game?
I think Coastal handled Campbell fairly easy this weekend. I'd like to think we're a better team than Coastal. After tripping all over ourselves the past two weeks I'd like to think Clark will have us better prepared for a mid grade FCS team. We'll just have to wait and see.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:04 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:56 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:17 pm
I might look back at this and laugh about how wrong I was, but so far, I haven’t been terribly impressed with Clark in his first three games. Then again, Satterfield had a pretty disastrous first 8-ish games. It’s still too early to tell, but calling out players instead of taking the blame yourself is never, ever a good look.
I am all for giving Clark time. Years. When he was announced, I did not have a problem with the hire, I had a problem with the process. The whole thing felt like he was just given the job. I never felt like there was a search. But again, I can give him time to grow into the job. I just hope our players are as patient as I am.
We really needed someone like him to keep players from leaving the program and to keep our commits. If not for needing that after already having a coaching change and no earlier signing period I would have had an issue but I was glad we kept him. Satterfield was doing horrible early on and many said he was not handling the pressure well at all. Our defense was pathetic the first two weeks last year and then we turned it around.

We need to give the team some time. If things are not improving by week 5 then I will start to worry.

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:25 pm

I can't imagine what he is facing as a first year head coach. He is having to deal with Covid 19, making sure he is meeting the players needs with all the social injustice issues. I just can't imagine. Definitely not typical first year head coach situations. Not making excuses because we definitely didn't play App style ball on any facet of the game yesterday. I just think we should all take a deep breath and show some compassion for our players and coaches. It's still great to be a Mountaineer!

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:37 pm

In my opinion, we should be able to best Campbell with a plain vanilla offense. Behind the scenes, we should be practicing some diversity in play calling in practice, including some option run ideas, fly runs, etc. if opponents are going to try to make us one dimensional as we got to have some semblance of run game. On the passing game, we got to figure out how to use the middle of the field. It seems a larger % of passes are down the sidelines.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:42 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:19 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:18 am
Really called out Virgil again, said somebody other than Henny has to make a play. Did I miss something, Virgil made the play of the game for App. I didn’t watch Virgil on every down but from what I did see I thought he gave a pretty good effort. On the whole Marcus Williams thing, your offense is struggling and you can’t run the ball but the head coach doesn’t even ask, hey why am I not seeing my number one running back in the game. Neither the game our the press conference was a good look for Shawn. Pulling for him to do much better.
Not knowing why your starting RB isn’t dressed out is shocking and indefensible.
I took this a little differently than you did. I actually think he was calling out Williams for being in street clothes even though he was cleared and a go to play. I took it that Williams must have told the staff, either medical or coaches, that he couldn't go despite being cleared to do so. That is why coach said 'it was a good question and you should ask Williams'. Coach Clark knew exactly why Williams didn't play, I just think he didn't like the reason so he put it on the player to justify his decision not to play. We have to remember that Coach played through some bad injuries while he was a player at App, and he probably expects players to play if they are medically cleared to play.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:45 pm

That’s a private conversation between Coach and Williams....shouldn’t be aired in public.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:47 pm

I know we’ve made tons of mental and ST mistakes... But is it possible our offense is playing “vanilla”, or not opening up the playbook until conference play?

js290

Unread post by js290 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:50 pm

Everything about that presser was amateur hour at its finest, needs to clean it up or he risks losing the team

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:52 pm

For the life of me and I was at the game how were our receivers not able to get zero separation? Even henni. And I’m complementing there D line there was nothing inside . My god our kicking game makes me want to strangle someone. This day in age it’s just so high schoolish to have to grab your closest family member and hug and pray ever time we kick anything.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:12 pm

D Evans may have made our o line look better than it was last year .It certainly got its asses handed to it yesterday. And we don’t have a replacement for Sutton , nothing close and he made everyone better. Especially Zac and Henni , that’s clear. Special teams are a nightmare. A nightmare. Blocking and tackling , all three phases ,we’ve taken a step back. Very concerned about strength and conditioning. We got whipped. Whipped.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:16 pm

To all that have their panties in a wad over him calling a player out.... Get a grip. If they get that upset over being called out then they are too much of a pansy to be playing football. Suck it up and do better. This is exactly why we have a generation of cry babies. If they can't handle being called out in football then they will have a hard time out in the workforce. Especially in a job where it's life and death.

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:19 pm

I thought Clark would be a great coach. Looks like the covid crap and all the other social distractions have caused him to be in over his head. Team is nowhere near ready to be playing football. Out of shape and unmotivated. I'm hoping he sees what's going on and puts the brakes on this slide and rights the ship.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:54 pm

Over/under wins from those glass half empty after Saturday?

7?

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:14 pm

I don’t think this thread should come anywhere close to “fire” any coach deal. Some people are absolutely clueless especially as it pertains to one really big aspect- money! We weren’t awash with cash after Satt left and got Drink on a very short term deal. After he bolted we had to be very limited especially since we were basically reloading a staff, then COVID. This season for everyone is jacked up! I personally feel like it’s maybe a 40% chance that it gets completed. Teams are cancelling games, playing without guys and coaches due to quarantines and an entire major conference will play 9 games. We have talent but we certainly don’t have plug and play depth like the big boys. Those who believe otherwise are just delusional. If isn’t a word that should be used but IF we had 4 or so legit offensive weapons who could have played this year (to include Pearson yesterday) we probably aren’t having any of these debates. I don’t agree at all with what Clark said yesterday about Virgil. He could have mentioned a dozen names. How about making a freaking chip shot FG (yesterday and against Stink last year)!

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:25 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:54 pm

7?
Good answer. Anything more will be awesome!

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:29 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

7?
Seems fair

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:33 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

7?
I have two answers:

Based on what I know this team is capable of - 9
Based on what I've seen so far - 5

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:27 pm

I always enjoy watching those that complain shy away from questions like these. Forces one to put together a rational analysis of the situation.

I think we beat Cambell by as many as the coaches allow and ULL finally gets one on us, beyond that who knows.

The issue is we reasonably could start 3-3 with a tougher front loaded conference slate.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:27 pm
I always enjoy watching those that complain shy away from questions like these. Forces one to put together a rational analysis of the situation.

I think we beat Cambell by as many as the coaches allow and ULL finally gets one on us, beyond that who knows.

The issue is we reasonably could start 3-3 with a tougher front loaded conference slate.
Very realistic for sure Saint. I will disagree and say we smash Campbell and then show America what App football is all about for the 9th time . As bad as we were Saturday the team and Coach have my support through these changes.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:28 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

7?
I don’t know if I count as a “glass half empty” person but I still think this team is capable of winning 12 if you include the championship game and the bowl game. Until we’re dead I’m not gonna give up on them.

That said, I think we probably do drop the UL game. Win against Ga Southern because that’s the way rivalries work. I could also see losses to any of Ark State/Troy/Coastal.

So I could see a situation where we win ~9 as pretty realistic. Again, based on what I’ve seen so far.

We will miss out on a pretty special opportunity again this year but there’s still plenty to look forward to and I’ll be along the ride for all of it.
YNWA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”