Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Clark Post Game--Marshall

fjblair

Re: Coach Clark Post Game--Marshall

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:18 am

Two ugly, ugly games. I cannot remember the last time we had such back to back stinkers. It's coaching plain and simple. Of course it can be fixed, pandemic, new staff blah blah blah. It's still on coaching. The team isn't focused, the play calling is poor and so is the execution. I hope these last two games were flukes.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:42 am

Clark presser this week clarified Williams was an emergency RB at Marshall and not part of the game plan.

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:46 am

We should blow Camelville out but that really won't tell us anything.If we struggle however, that will speak loudly.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:52 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:46 am
We should blow Camelville out but that really won't tell us anything.If we struggle however, that will speak loudly.
The Stink struggled with the Camels, however, they were missing approximately 1/3 of their team.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:11 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:52 am
Stonewall wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:46 am
The Stink struggled with the Camels, however, they were missing approximately 1/3 of their team.
Yeah, and I think Coastal was a little hung over from beating Kansas, but got it together in the 2nd (Coastal does look good BTW). Campbell’s not gonna be a Gardner-Webb, but I think we TCB. Opening line has us favored by 36.5 pts.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:56 pm

pop5app wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:49 am
App91 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:46 pm
48 hr rule.
Saying SC is over his head or whatever is just crazy at this point. Look, i remember riding home from boone listening to the famous "give a mountaineer a chance" speech. That was my lowest point of APP football, and i was one of the ones for Scott getting gone, I was wrong. But, he did make some major changes after that game, sat some people, burned some shirts, changed some personnel. I do expect to see some changes here-not only was this a bad loss, but a worse look. Play calling is terrible, we were manhandled-we got our asses sandpapered!-we continue to make mental mistakes, (how many false start penalties now?), we look slow and small. Kicking game is embarrassing. No one on here has even mentioned the abortion that was the last 2 minutes of the first half of the UNCC game-clock management.

I am positive that SC is a great coach and will get this worked out, but I do expect to see some changes, addressing some of the issues, maybe some ass chewing. these are not things that are corrected by looking at film, this is a mentality.
This is well put! Only a person or two is calling for Clark’s head. That , after only three games, is ridiculous. ( he is 3-1 in those games) BUT, we have shown that there are MANY issues to be addressed. Make changes and perhaps we win some games but should we not correct some of these problems we could LOOSE to Campbell!
Not even the Nick or Dabo were 3-1 in three games. We may have a legend on our hands. 😄

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:02 pm

I think there will be more surprises in store for whatever season remains. It looks like covid has played a part in several programs with cancelled games and practices. From my recliner the last 2 Saturdays I don't see as physical a team as App has put on the field the last couple of seasons. We can put that off on covid or coaching I don't know. Maybe it's just me but I am concerned with us not being able to over power folks this year.
I'm not blaming coaching or players it is a strange enough year already and I am struggling with the idea this may not be a season of highlights. I sure hope I am wrong.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:45 am

Sounds like the WRs are ready to answer the call.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:04 pm

fjblair wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:18 am
It's coaching plain and simple. Of course it can be fixed, pandemic, new staff blah blah blah. It's still on coaching. The team isn't focused, the play calling is poor and so is the execution. I hope these last two games were flukes.
I have to agree. I hate that Coach Clark didn't get a chance to focus 100% on football in his 1st year. He's been thrown into a quagmire, dealing with several non-football related matters in the offseason from a world wide pandemic to national protests that required his attention. On the football side, he's dealing with a new way of recruiting via Zoom, loss of games on the schedule, players opting out, new eligibility rules and interrupted practices due to the virus. One would imagine the team probably spent a little time prepping for Wake on 9/11 only to see it get cancelled.

I was talking with a friend before the season and I said this is the year that Clark should try any and everything since it almost seems to be viewed as a "throw away" season. Run the trick plays, try new plays, go for it on 4th down etc...

However, after saying that, I did a complete 180 and was screaming at my tv during the Marshall game at the end of the 1st half. :lol: I wanted to set up for a FG by running the ball to the middle of the field and take the 3 points to tie the game going into the locker room. You could tell it was going to be a defensive game so I wanted to take the points. Instead, the offense kept pushing like I originally wanted and the end result was an INT. :cry:
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:56 pm

fjblair wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:18 am
Two ugly, ugly games. I cannot remember the last time we had such back to back stinkers. It's coaching plain and simple. Of course it can be fixed, pandemic, new staff blah blah blah. It's still on coaching. The team isn't focused, the play calling is poor and so is the execution. I hope these last two games were flukes.
Honestly, the first two games of last season were almost as ugly as this year. The only difference was that the struggling was on Defense last year whereas this year it has been on the Offense. People just tend to interpret offensive struggles more severely than Defensive. I said on another thread and I'll repeat here....if we had played Saturday's Marshall team in game 2 of 2019, we would have lost. We didn't really look solid until game 3. That's no guarantee that we will do the same in game 3 this year, but fortunately this year we're playing Campbell in game 3 and not UNC. I fully expect us to right this ship.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”