Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ESPN+

Blackshirt68
School: Appalachian State

ESPN+

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:59 pm

Had a hard time with the game on ESPN+. There was no down and distance box in the lower right hand corner. The announcers apparently did not know this information was unavailable to the viewers. Sometimes I was in the dark when they used the tight camera angle and the chains were out of sight. Many times the announcers didn’t give the situation.

BarefootApp

Re: ESPN+

Unread post by BarefootApp » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:04 pm

Just happy to have college football and the opportunity to see it on TV (with hdmi cord, of course!). Proud of the bounce-back under tough circumstances.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:27 pm

I feel certain this has been discussed in other threads, but I agree, today's ESPN+ presentation ranks among the worst I have ever seen, and that's a lot. It may be on us, or may be on them, or both (most likely). Like at least one other poster suggested, I will gladly accept crap over nothing.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:28 pm

That was the worst ESPN+ production since the move up. As mentioned missing the down and distance was awful. Seems like we went a while without a score graphic at all.

However the worst of all was the one commentator. Harrison Battle is fine, but whoever the other guy was, good lord he was unbearable. I muted the TV multiple times.

Loved watching the Apps turn it on in the 2nd though!

GO APPS!!

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Yeah it was bad. When it was free on ESPN3, I could look past it because I wasn’t paying for it. Now that I am, I do expect to have the basics on there (score/time/down and distance). The commentators are always hit or miss.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:26 pm

Listened to the radio broadcast. Adam Witten was his usual quality self. Avery Hall was a blast from the past (and quite good), and David Ware was exceptionally adroit from the sideline.

Deano

Unread post by Deano » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:54 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:26 pm
Listened to the radio broadcast. Adam Witten was his usual quality self. Avery Hall was a blast from the past (and quite good), and David Ware was exceptionally adroit from the sideline.
I also listened and thought the guys did a really great job. Not sure why Pierre wasn't on, but Avery Hall stepped in and sounded great. Id be happy if this was the permanent crew from now on.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:57 am

Avery Hall WAS on, on a recording a short while before the game.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:18 am

I thought the commentators were pretty good but the camera guy was terrible and for the life of me why was there no down and distance???

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:25 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:18 am
I thought the commentators were pretty good but the camera guy was terrible and for the life of me why was there no down and distance???
When you have to film from Howard's Knob.. difficult to keep up with the ball. Two things KBS needed (even more than NEZ and I am a NEZ ticket holder), better camera spots for games...and more than camera spots is lighting for night games.. appearance looks like glorified high school game for night games on ESPN games..IMO
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:41 am

The buffering all game was horrible for us.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:37 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:18 am
Personally I thought the color announcer was good - he was very knowledgeable about the game and the teams - our play by play guy is ok+
I couldn't understand why they couldn't work out something so we could hear what the ref was saying - even if they just had someone relay it - it was the entire game and was frustrating - as well as the graphics - BUT - all that being said, it is great to be able to watch!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:00 am

I had no problem with streaming and I was at a location running DSL that doesn’t have greatest consistency. It would have been great to have down and yardage info on screen but it didn’t kill me.

Announcers were ok and we have had worse at times.

I was in a rural Georgia location watching App in HD on wide screen. I remember 20 years ago same location sitting in my car trying to listen to App and Ga Southern on AM with sketchy reception. I don’t mind the $5 subscription to get a clean HD picture.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:04 am

Why no starting lineups announced?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:53 pm

These folks will get better as time goes on. It is like minor league for ESPN. There will be good parts and parts that need work.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:39 am

CVAPP wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:27 pm
I feel certain this has been discussed in other threads, but I agree, today's ESPN+ presentation ranks among the worst I have ever seen, and that's a lot. It may be on us, or may be on them, or both (most likely). Like at least one other poster suggested, I will gladly accept crap over nothing.
Something in the back of my mind (OK, go ahead and get your snickers in! :lol: ) make me think the contract the Sun Belt has with Disney dba ESPN calls for the home site to provide the technical production gear and technicians. I remember when DJ was having a helluva time getting funding for equipment upgrades to meet ESPN specs. Some of us (but not nearly as many as hoped for) put $$$$ in the kitty to help him. There was even a time, as I recall, that the home site was responsible for providing the talent. Not sure how much of that has changed, but there were a few sports/seasons when Molly Cotton was handling play-by-play and Pierre Banks was doing color on some of our ESPN+ streams; and Harrison Battle did the football play-by-play yesterday. Maybe very little has changed.

BTW, I did notice that GoAppStateSports.com still hasn't listed any information about MBB network stations or our broadcast crew. Hope the network hasn't fallen victim to Covid-19 budget woes.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:40 am

I still remember following games on my computer where I had to keep refreshing the page to get a description of each play, and before the internet, no way to follow App games in the Atlanta area so I can certainly live with ESPN+ .

appsfan

Unread post by appsfan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:53 pm

I synced the TV broadcast up with the radio call. That made the game much more palatable to watch.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:10 pm

isn’t espn+ just a shoe string budget using intern camera persons / technicians supplied by the home team? It’s not meant to be much more then it is...doubt it’s any espn talent involved at all. For 5 bucks a month it’s great to watch all the olympic sports and other school events avail...this year w/ only 2-3 football games on the channel how much support could these guys have been getting?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”