2021 QB

EastHallApp
Posts: 5942
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2671 times
Been thanked: 2236 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:33 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:01 am
If we don’t start passing more Malik Virgil and Sutton will be somewhere else and maybe even Hennigan
Huh? First game was played in a downpour, and we still threw for 200 yards. Second game we threw it 38 times and got our butts kicked. Third game our WR depth chart was gutted so we ran it down an FCS team's throat because we could.

Certainly we'll continue to be run-first as we have been for years, but presumably if any of those guys were going to bolt because of that, they'd have done so by now.



EastHallApp
Posts: 5942
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2671 times
Been thanked: 2236 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:34 am

NavyApp wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:10 am
As great as it will be to have some of these guys back, personally I hope Huesman is not one of them. It's been great having him as the no.2 for the past three years but next year we are going to need one of the young guys getting those reps in practice or 2022 is going to be a rough year. Just my two cents.
While most of our seniors are key contributors who presumably would be welcomed back, there's the potential for a few tough conversations.



AppStFan1
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 526 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:29 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:34 am
NavyApp wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:10 am
As great as it will be to have some of these guys back, personally I hope Huesman is not one of them. It's been great having him as the no.2 for the past three years but next year we are going to need one of the young guys getting those reps in practice or 2022 is going to be a rough year. Just my two cents.
While most of our seniors are key contributors who presumably would be welcomed back, there's the potential for a few tough conversations.
I would agree and I'm sure some tough decisions for players. If you are a backup or someone who knows the NFL is not in the cards you may move on or may want to just play one more year. If you have a shot, and dream, to play in pros then you probably want to return to help that shot and reach the goals you set out to do.

Every one of our senior backups could go to FCS and play for sure or even play a good bit at a bunch of G5 schools like Texas State or Charlotte. Would those guys want to return or just move on? I would have to think the development of some younger guys and whether they pass some of those guys this fall would also determine if these seniors want to return. Everyone plays a role off the field as well so there could be a backup who does so much for leadership behind the scenes that you try to recruit them to return even though they don't play as much.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.



AppSt94
Posts: 4666
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 2094 times
Been thanked: 1283 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:26 am

I implore you guys to not discuss certain players in this thread. I understand that this is a message board and people have opinions. But that is what they are and we don’t have any clue what guys, non starters mean to the team.



AppStFan1
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 526 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:01 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:26 am
I implore you guys to not discuss certain players in this thread. I understand that this is a message board and people have opinions. But that is what they are and we don’t have any clue what guys, non starters mean to the team.
I agree we don't want to diminish anyone because a 3rd string player may have a very important role behind the scenes that you would only see during practice or in weight room so you want them back big time. I hate that we can't take them all back. I'm sure some tough decisions will have to be made for both coaches and players. I bet there are players who want to return but may have something lined up after college already and really can't come back without losing that opportunity.

I hate to say this but for some they will just be screwed over because of this virus. Not everyone will get a normal senior year to finish their career.



Cro-Magnon App
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:25 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Western South Carolina
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:52 pm

This entire thread is bulls&!+, speculation, rumor and wild guesses. Nobody knows anything at this point.



AppStFan1
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 526 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:31 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:52 pm
This entire thread is bulls&!+, speculation, rumor and wild guesses. Nobody knows anything at this point.
Obviously, a kid can change their mind and until January it is not final. We might have no more glitches this year, win out, and they all decide to go out on top. Hopefully the buzz around Boone that several guys want to take advantage of this rule and return is correct. It would be huge for us to have a returning starter at QB and not see our skill group's experience depleted so much.



Black Saturday
Posts: 9110
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: 910
Has thanked: 418 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:37 pm

postalapp90 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:10 pm
Off topic but radio guys said Cole Garrison was accepted to medical school at UAB. First off congratulations to him and secondly would he be eligible to play for them next year since this is a "throwaway " year.
He will have exactly no time to do anything except study during his first 2 years of medical school, and then that won't be enough. He will not be playing football.


BLACK SATURDAY

User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 7550
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 2322 times
Been thanked: 1221 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:43 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:37 pm
postalapp90 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:10 pm
Off topic but radio guys said Cole Garrison was accepted to medical school at UAB. First off congratulations to him and secondly would he be eligible to play for them next year since this is a "throwaway " year.
He will have exactly no time to do anything except study during his first 2 years of medical school, and then that won't be enough. He will not be playing football.
I was in NYC a few years ago when Lindsey Buckingham was touring with Christine McVie for their album and I got to see them at the Beacon. I had saw the pair in Raleigh a bit earlier in the summer. I was in the balcony and one row behind me was an young lady with a nose in a book that I could tell was a science-y type book. I had to ask her what she was doing before a concert studying. Med school student. We talked for maybe a minute and as soon as the conversation ended she was back to studying and did so until the lights dropped.

I felt bad having her stop her studies for the short time we talked.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Tbatchelor1977
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by Tbatchelor1977 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:49 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:43 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:37 pm
postalapp90 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:10 pm
Off topic but radio guys said Cole Garrison was accepted to medical school at UAB. First off congratulations to him and secondly would he be eligible to play for them next year since this is a "throwaway " year.
He will have exactly no time to do anything except study during his first 2 years of medical school, and then that won't be enough. He will not be playing football.
I was in NYC a few years ago when Lindsey Buckingham was touring with Christine McVie for their album and I got to see them at the Beacon. I had saw the pair in Raleigh a bit earlier in the summer. I was in the balcony and one row behind me was an young lady with a nose in a book that I could tell was a science-y type book. I had to ask her what she was doing before a concert studying. Med school student. We talked for maybe a minute and as soon as the conversation ended she was back to studying and did so until the lights dropped.

I felt bad having her stop her studies for the short time we talked.
That's your pickup line "what ya do'in?"



User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 7550
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 2322 times
Been thanked: 1221 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:41 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:49 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:43 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:37 pm
postalapp90 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:10 pm
Off topic but radio guys said Cole Garrison was accepted to medical school at UAB. First off congratulations to him and secondly would he be eligible to play for them next year since this is a "throwaway " year.
He will have exactly no time to do anything except study during his first 2 years of medical school, and then that won't be enough. He will not be playing football.
I was in NYC a few years ago when Lindsey Buckingham was touring with Christine McVie for their album and I got to see them at the Beacon. I had saw the pair in Raleigh a bit earlier in the summer. I was in the balcony and one row behind me was an young lady with a nose in a book that I could tell was a science-y type book. I had to ask her what she was doing before a concert studying. Med school student. We talked for maybe a minute and as soon as the conversation ended she was back to studying and did so until the lights dropped.

I felt bad having her stop her studies for the short time we talked.
That's your pickup line "what ya do'in?"
At the time I was a 47/48 married with three daughters. Well, I am still married with three daughters. I just wanted to know what she was studying.

(I lead a rather boring life compared to some I admit.)


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

User avatar
NavyApp
Posts: 1016
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: ENC
Has thanked: 1795 times
Been thanked: 774 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:16 am

Here is a question I would like to pose to everyone here. Garrett Shrader(Miss St QB)has just entered the transfer portal. He is from Charlotte, highly recruited, and uber athletic and has three years of eligibility left. Tony Peterson recruited him hard out of high school. So here is the question which is two fold: would you want our coaching staff to make a run at him? Do you think our staff will?

I honestly don't know personally; I really like a couple of the young guys on the roster already and if Tabscott signs I believe he is the future. But this kid Shrader is a play maker with superstar potential. Likely we are not in play for the young man but I'd thought I'd throw it out there.


FREQS AND GEEKS!

Tbatchelor1977
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by Tbatchelor1977 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:38 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:41 am
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:49 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:43 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:37 pm
postalapp90 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:10 pm
Off topic but radio guys said Cole Garrison was accepted to medical school at UAB. First off congratulations to him and secondly would he be eligible to play for them next year since this is a "throwaway " year.
He will have exactly no time to do anything except study during his first 2 years of medical school, and then that won't be enough. He will not be playing football.
I was in NYC a few years ago when Lindsey Buckingham was touring with Christine McVie for their album and I got to see them at the Beacon. I had saw the pair in Raleigh a bit earlier in the summer. I was in the balcony and one row behind me was an young lady with a nose in a book that I could tell was a science-y type book. I had to ask her what she was doing before a concert studying. Med school student. We talked for maybe a minute and as soon as the conversation ended she was back to studying and did so until the lights dropped.

I felt bad having her stop her studies for the short time we talked.
That's your pickup line "what ya do'in?"
At the time I was a 47/48 married with three daughters. Well, I am still married with three daughters. I just wanted to know what she was studying.

(I lead a rather boring life compared to some I admit.)
Me too. Married 30 years with two college age kids. That would have probably been. Y pick up line. Lol



EastHallApp
Posts: 5942
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2671 times
Been thanked: 2236 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:56 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:16 am
Here is a question I would like to pose to everyone here. Garrett Shrader(Miss St QB)has just entered the transfer portal. He is from Charlotte, highly recruited, and uber athletic and has three years of eligibility left. Tony Peterson recruited him hard out of high school. So here is the question which is two fold: would you want our coaching staff to make a run at him? Do you think our staff will?

I honestly don't know personally; I really like a couple of the young guys on the roster already and if Tabscott signs I believe he is the future. But this kid Shrader is a play maker with superstar potential. Likely we are not in play for the young man but I'd thought I'd throw it out there.
I have no opinion of this guy specifically, as this is the first I have ever heard of him. But speaking generally, I'd be all for seeking a transfer QB. I like Tabscott (and Goodman) too, but the reality is those two and Shuler are the only options after next year, or maybe after this year. That's an awful lot of uncertainty. If we have a chance to add another contender - especially one who has even a little experience at the college level - then it's worth a look.



AppSt94
Posts: 4666
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 2094 times
Been thanked: 1283 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:13 pm

I think it all hinges on what ZT decides to do.



t4pizza
Posts: 3244
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 471 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:46 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:16 am
Here is a question I would like to pose to everyone here. Garrett Shrader(Miss St QB)has just entered the transfer portal. He is from Charlotte, highly recruited, and uber athletic and has three years of eligibility left. Tony Peterson recruited him hard out of high school. So here is the question which is two fold: would you want our coaching staff to make a run at him? Do you think our staff will?

I honestly don't know personally; I really like a couple of the young guys on the roster already and if Tabscott signs I believe he is the future. But this kid Shrader is a play maker with superstar potential. Likely we are not in play for the young man but I'd thought I'd throw it out there.
I would instantly question any quarterback that transferred from a Mike Leach system. It is literally the best system for a qb to shine and put up monster numbers. Gardner Minshew was a nobody turned NFL player simply because of the way he played in Leach's offense and the exposure that brought to him. Why would any qb leave that system?



User avatar
moonshine
Posts: 1834
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Country
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 574 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:51 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:57 pm
The downside is that 15 returning Seniors adds about 450k to the budget.
How many season tickets do we sell? We have a nice slate next year with Marshall and Leon at the Rock and a "home" game against ECU in Charlotte. This probably won't be popular but next year might be a good time to do a price increase on tickets to cover the additional cost if multiple seniors return. Plus with UNC at the Rock looming, it might be a good time to try and increase the revenue as I imagine we may end up seeing a record breaking year in season tickets for 2022 to guarantee a seat.

Or DG could do a smaller increase on season tickets and a larger increase on single game tickets to try and drive season tickets sales. Maybe add a $.50-$1 bump on all concessions to help offset the increase from the super seniors.


Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 5885
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 932 times
Been thanked: 2300 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:19 pm

I still think that ZT might opt for a passing offense somewhere else..........Just a thought



WASU 93
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 281 times
Been thanked: 319 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:28 pm

moonshine wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:51 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:57 pm
The downside is that 15 returning Seniors adds about 450k to the budget.
How many season tickets do we sell? We have a nice slate next year with Marshall and Leon at the Rock and a "home" game against ECU in Charlotte. This probably won't be popular but next year might be a good time to do a price increase on tickets to cover the additional cost if multiple seniors return. Plus with UNC at the Rock looming, it might be a good time to try and increase the revenue as I imagine we may end up seeing a record breaking year in season tickets for 2022 to guarantee a seat.

Or DG could do a smaller increase on season tickets and a larger increase on single game tickets to try and drive season tickets sales. Maybe add a $.50-$1 bump on all concessions to help offset the increase from the super seniors.
1. You may be able to cut the cost number in half. Because after a semester, I would imagine that most of the 5th/6th year seniors would move on.
2. We all love and appreciate our seniors. However, we also have underclassmen who have joined the program expecting the seniors to move on after this year (Pre-COVID) who are ready to get on the field. Some, MAY even be better next year than some of the returning seniors. For all FBS programs, there is going to be a balance between returning seniors/underclassmen/new recruits. As was already posted in this thread, there may be some difficult conversations and there may be some budgetary conversations. Grad Transfers with another year of eligibility throw another kink into system. Essentially college football (with the exception of 254 draft picks and those who choose to terminated their college careers) will be faced with trying to fit 6 classes of players into a 5 year schedule.



Tbatchelor1977
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:32 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by Tbatchelor1977 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:19 pm
I still think that ZT might opt for a passing offense somewhere else..........Just a thought
I think it would have to be lateral move. I like Zach. Fits our scheme. I just do not think he is the guy you can rely on every down to make all the different throws all around the playing field. He was great against Penn State, has been good at other times and average at best other times. This is just passing opinion. Total QB including running. I like him for our team. My issue some this year and last year is that we do not read option enough. It seems most of time he just hands it off which does not leave much guessing y defense. Just an opinion. If he does transfer, I hope he proves me wrong on overall passing ability as I like him.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online