Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2021 QB

kornegaylw
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2021 QB

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:02 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:46 pm

I would instantly question any quarterback that transferred from a Mike Leach system. It is literally the best system for a qb to shine and put up monster numbers. Gardner Minshew was a nobody turned NFL player simply because of the way he played in Leach's offense and the exposure that brought to him. Why would any qb leave that system?
Leach brought in KJ Costello (now the starter) and some other transfer QB. Can't blame a kid who started 6 games in the SEC West last year who is now the 3rd string QB for wanting to transfer.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:07 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:16 am
Here is a question I would like to pose to everyone here. Garrett Shrader(Miss St QB)has just entered the transfer portal. He is from Charlotte, highly recruited, and uber athletic and has three years of eligibility left. Tony Peterson recruited him hard out of high school. So here is the question which is two fold: would you want our coaching staff to make a run at him? Do you think our staff will?

I honestly don't know personally; I really like a couple of the young guys on the roster already and if Tabscott signs I believe he is the future. But this kid Shrader is a play maker with superstar potential. Likely we are not in play for the young man but I'd thought I'd throw it out there.
Having guys develop through the Appalachian State culture & system is always going to be my preference...BUT...Given our profile we should be a school that guys like Shrader look at when they are transferring. Yes, I hope that our coaches reach out to Shrader and yes I hope that we can be viewed as a place that quality young men in the transfer portal want to come play at.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:15 pm

t4pizza wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
Here is a question I would like to pose to everyone here. Garrett Shrader(Miss St QB)has just entered the transfer portal. He is from Charlotte, highly recruited, and uber athletic and has three years of eligibility left. Tony Peterson recruited him hard out of high school. So here is the question which is two fold: would you want our coaching staff to make a run at him? Do you think our staff will?

I honestly don't know personally; I really like a couple of the young guys on the roster already and if Tabscott signs I believe he is the future. But this kid Shrader is a play maker with superstar potential. Likely we are not in play for the young man but I'd thought I'd throw it out there.
I would instantly question any quarterback that transferred from a Mike Leach system. It is literally the best system for a qb to shine and put up monster numbers. Gardner Minshew was a nobody turned NFL player simply because of the way he played in Leach's offense and the exposure that brought to him. Why would any qb leave that system?
Having watched the kid play in a few games last year I would reverse that question. Why would Leach make the most physically talented QB on his roster by a wide margin, change positions?
FREQS AND GEEKS!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:08 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:15 pm
t4pizza wrote:
NavyApp wrote:

Having watched the kid play in a few games last year I would reverse that question. Why would Leach make the most physically talented QB on his roster by a wide margin, change positions?
I am guessing Mike Leach knows a heck of a lot more about qbs than anybody on this board. If he doesn't see him a as a qb that can fit his system, I would trust his opinion far more than someone who watched him play in a few games last year. It probably has something to do with not being able to consistently hit all the throws that are needed to be hit. But that is just a guess.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:31 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:08 pm
NavyApp wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
NavyApp wrote:

I am guessing Mike Leach knows a heck of a lot more about qbs than anybody on this board. If he doesn't see him a as a qb that can fit his system, I would trust his opinion far more than someone who watched him play in a few games last year. It probably has something to do with not being able to consistently hit all the throws that are needed to be hit. But that is just a guess.
Well you make some great points, that I doubt anyone could argue with. Costello and Rodgers are really hitting the spots this year. I digress, the original point I was asking about was how you would feel about our staff reaching out to the young man. Not everyone is a Leach QB, ZT wouldn't be one either. We don't run the air raid so the point about Leach not wanting him is irrelevant to how the player would fit in our scheme.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:17 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:31 pm
t4pizza wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
NavyApp wrote:

Well you make some great points, that I doubt anyone could argue with. Costello and Rodgers are really hitting the spots this year. I digress, the original point I was asking about was how you would feel about our staff reaching out to the young man. Not everyone is a Leach QB, ZT wouldn't be one either. We don't run the air raid so the point about Leach not wanting him is irrelevant to how the player would fit in our scheme.
Ive got a lot of family with ties to Mississippi State, so I’ve watched almost every snap that the Bulldogs have played this year. I can say, with confidence, that KJ Costello is not good. He currently has a 6/10 TD to INT ratio. I believe in Mike Leach, but not playing Shrader at all is completely dumbfounding me. From what I know about App’s football style and Garrett Shrader, I think he would be a perfect fit for the Mountaineers, but I doubt they get him.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:02 pm

Regardless of quarterback, I'm still not sold on Peterson. Didnt like the hire, still not a fan.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:02 pm

Regardless of quarterback, I'm still not sold on Peterson. Didnt like the hire, still not a fan.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:14 pm

AppDub wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:02 pm
Why?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:35 pm

If talent is out there that would have 3 years of eligibility, you always go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gai Ed. All this kid has to say is "no" and coaching staff moves on like any other recruit. If kid has one year eligibility and we believe we have talent at position, more difficult decision making process. In this situation, I may pass as could impact team chemistry or younger guy transfer. This is QB as only one can play at a time. For other positions with multiple players playing during game, totally different thought process. Even with one year left, I am recruiting a transfer if can help team.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:34 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:14 pm
AppDub wrote:
Why?
Lackluster success at ECU, very similar results at La. Tech, and the early returns of taking a dynamic offense and putting a bit of a muzzle on it would be my response to the question why. My personal opinion, and again its my opinion, not looking for a shout fest as why I am wrong, but coming off the year we had last year and the talent coming back, I had hoped to see us run a more high octane offense instead of a run first, ball control type that whenever we are down by 2 scores, there is little faith we are catching up. Like him or not, Drinks O could score at will and dial it back to slow tempo when needed. No offense Peterson has led seems to ever have run operated that way. Not an expert on the guy and hope I'm wrong. Ill certainly admit it if I am, but 'd just like to see him turn Zac loose more, get more to the spread and turn it up a notch.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:40 am

AppDub wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:34 am
AppSt94 wrote:
AppDub wrote:
Why?
Lackluster success at ECU, very similar results at La. Tech, and the early returns of taking a dynamic offense and putting a bit of a muzzle on it would be my response to the question why. My personal opinion, and again its my opinion, not looking for a shout fest as why I am wrong, but coming off the year we had last year and the talent coming back, I had hoped to see us run a more high octane offense instead of a run first, ball control type that whenever we are down by 2 scores, there is little faith we are catching up. Like him or not, Drinks O could score at will and dial it back to slow tempo when needed. No offense Peterson has led seems to ever have run operated that way. Not an expert on the guy and hope I'm wrong. Ill certainly admit it if I am, but 'd just like to see him turn Zac loose more, get more to the spread and turn it up a notch.
While I don't exactly share your concerns with Peterson, you do make some great points. I too wish we would open it up more and force the issue ala the last two bowl games. I'm still holding out hope that we become more aggressive as we move into conference play.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:49 am

I still have hope as well. I will be the happiest dude on here if Coach P makes my assessment look foolish. Go Appstate!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:05 am

AppDub wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppDub wrote:
Why?
I think that your points are valid. I’m not going to tell you that you are wrong, or shout at you. I will make this comment and I ask that you remove the condescending tone from it, because it wasn’t intended to be. But yes, if you are making your comments based off comparison and the eye test, it makes sense. Looking at the Marshall game, because that is the one where we struggled, without benefit of coaches film, you can’t see that it was more or less an execution problem. Marcus be a last minute scratch left us void of our best back. Harrington and Peoples are very good, but they aren’t up to MW level yet. What I mean by that is that they tend to miss holes created by our blocking scheme. It is something that takes time to learn.

Second point. The short yardage call where Evans fumbled the ball was a brilliant call that was flawlessly executed up until the receiver failed to protect the ball.

Third and final point. We are a running team. Go back and look at the run/pass splits between Satt/Drink/Clark and I don’t think you will find much of a difference.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 am

t4pizza wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
NavyApp wrote:

Who knows what their reasons are, but Leach's personality clearly isn't for everyone. And it took exactly one good game before he started finding out that SEC defenses are a little different than Big 12 and Pac-12 ones. Leach is getting his butt kicked right now and openly talking about wanting to get rid of players who aren't buying in. I'm sure this kid won't be the only one who looks for a new home.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:05 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:05 am
AppDub wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppDub wrote:
Why?
I think that your points are valid. I’m not going to tell you that you are wrong, or shout at you. I will make this comment and I ask that you remove the condescending tone from it, because it wasn’t intended to be. But yes, if you are making your comments based off comparison and the eye test, it makes sense. Looking at the Marshall game, because that is the one where we struggled, without benefit of coaches film, you can’t see that it was more or less an execution problem. Marcus be a last minute scratch left us void of our best back. Harrington and Peoples are very good, but they aren’t up to MW level yet. What I mean by that is that they tend to miss holes created by our blocking scheme. It is something that takes time to learn.

Second point. The short yardage call where Evans fumbled the ball was a brilliant call that was flawlessly executed up until the receiver failed to protect the ball.

Third and final point. We are a running team. Go back and look at the run/pass splits between Satt/Drink/Clark and I don’t think you will find much of a difference.
Must say I am liking what Peterson is showing tonight. Looks very different than the previous three games. Read option is working and very timely. Not too proud to admit his work tonight excites me a little.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:23 pm

AppDub wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:05 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppDub wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppDub wrote:
Why?

Must say I am liking what Peterson is showing tonight. Looks very different than the previous three games. Read option is working and very timely. Not too proud to admit his work tonight excites me a little.
I was wondering if Clark was calling the plays tonight, or at least contributing more to them.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:55 pm

Thats a great question. You could make a case that his fingerprints are on it. Looks better tonight for sure.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:25 am

app97 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:23 pm
AppDub wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:05 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppDub wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Why?

I was wondering if Clark was calling the plays tonight, or at least contributing more to them.
whoever/whatever it was, more of it please.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:47 am

The playcalling does tend to look better when you're facing a defense that allows 42 points per game...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”