Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coaches Poll 9.27

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coaches Poll 9.27

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:11 pm
Louisiana gets bumped yet LSU is in the top 20 despite losing to Mississippi State. What a crock.
If ULL and LSU were playing on a neutral field Saturday, who do you think would win?

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:17 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
Louisiana gets bumped yet LSU is in the top 20 despite losing to Mississippi State. What a crock.
If ULL and LSU were playing on a neutral field Saturday, who do you think would win?
There’s one right answer. And Vegas would favor the winner by about 3 touchdowns according to major ranking measures (sagarin, Massey, sp+).

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:53 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:03 am
hapapp wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:49 am
yosef69 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:49 am
Let’s say that the voters saw our first 2 quarters vs Campbell. There’s why we’re not ranked.

Doesn’t matter if they didn’t see it. They did see us crap the bed during the prime time CBS slot, and that’s enough for anyone to stop ranking us.

It’s also tough for me to say ULL is better than those SEC/B1G teams. Their best win came during week one and they took a last minute bomb from their kicker to win the game vs GS and struggled with GaSt.
The first two quarters against Campbell aren't why we aren't ranked. We're not ranked (1) because we lost to Marshall and (2) because they now include teams that weren't in the rankings when we were. We could be 3-0 and not ranked at this point (see UL).

This thread WAS NEVER about us not being ranked. It was how after winning we garnered no points when the week before we had 12. Even understanding how that could possibly be the case, it doesn't explain how Coastal, who didn't play after beating the same Campbell team, remained in the receiving votes category. That was the apparent anomaly that I was initially referencing, not our absence from the top 25.
Not that hard to explain. The voter(s) who previously thought Coastal was a top 25 team decided to keep them in that spot. The voters who ranked us did not.

I get that. Again, its not about making a case for us. I was simply suggesting it was odd that we would not get any votes (not suggesting we deserve any because I don't think we are a top 25 team) after winning but Coastal, without playing did. If you don't think it odd, that's fine. That was genesis of the original post. It was never meant to be a debate about where we should be in scheme of things.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:07 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:53 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
hapapp wrote:
yosef69 wrote:
Let’s say that the voters saw our first 2 quarters vs Campbell. There’s why we’re not ranked.

Doesn’t matter if they didn’t see it. They did see us crap the bed during the prime time CBS slot, and that’s enough for anyone to stop ranking us.

It’s also tough for me to say ULL is better than those SEC/B1G teams. Their best win came during week one and they took a last minute bomb from their kicker to win the game vs GS and struggled with GaSt.
The first two quarters against Campbell aren't why we aren't ranked. We're not ranked (1) because we lost to Marshall and (2) because they now include teams that weren't in the rankings when we were. We could be 3-0 and not ranked at this point (see UL).

This thread WAS NEVER about us not being ranked. It was how after winning we garnered no points when the week before we had 12. Even understanding how that could possibly be the case, it doesn't explain how Coastal, who didn't play after beating the same Campbell team, remained in the receiving votes category. That was the apparent anomaly that I was initially referencing, not our absence from the top 25.
Not that hard to explain. The voter(s) who previously thought Coastal was a top 25 team decided to keep them in that spot. The voters who ranked us did not.

I get that. Again, its not about making a case for us. I was simply suggesting it was odd that we would not get any votes (not suggesting we deserve any because I don't think we are a top 25 team) after winning but Coastal, without playing did. If you don't think it odd, that's fine. That was genesis of the original post. It was never meant to be a debate about where we should be in scheme of things.
Gotcha. I mean, I do think it's a pretty big stretch that anyone would rank Coastal. But I think perhaps your post places too much weight on just the previous week (App winning, Coastal not playing), when in reality the polls are based on the full season. IOW, whoever's ranking Coastal isn't doing it based on them not playing last week; they're doing so based on them whipping Kansas and not having a loss yet.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:14 pm

It’s also worth noting that many voters treat 20-25 as throwaway votes and just chuck teams they like or teams that had a nice win in there for fun. More of an acknowledgment than saying “Coastal is the 25th best team in america”.
YNWA

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:14 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
I dunno, ask Troy.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:45 am

hapapp wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:53 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
hapapp wrote:
yosef69 wrote:

Coastal is now getting the same P5 win bump that we got for beating South Carolina last year. Is CCU a top 25 team? No. There are P5 teams like Vandy, SC, NC State, etc that should carry less weight than a win over Cincy, UCF, etc but they just don't for some because they think all P5s are better for some reason.

Neither us nor Coastal truly deserves any votes. Voters treat the last couple spots in their poll as throw away votes and just chunk teams in there that have a big win or someone with a big name or one they just like. NFL teams do the same thing with the NFL Draft. It is why you will see players who did not even start in college get picked in the 7th round just because they look the part and have a great pro day. I call it taking a flyer on a team or a player or throwing a meat dart at a wall.

This is why I don't give much weight to the polls, especially early on, because a G5 team can get votes just by beating a bad P5 team.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”