Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Hypothetical....Would you? Game at home 7% or ???

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Hypothetical....Would you? Game at home 7% or ???

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:59 am

I would not be opposed IF, and this would not happen, but if the gate was considered our money and we could be guaranteed enough gate to offset the cost of the game and that could help our athletic budget. GaSt would not agree to that and I am not even sure if there would be enough fans to offset the expense after paying for the basic expenses so GaSt would at least break even themselves plus our travel expenses. If the crowd was that big then GaSt is going to want to keep that gate though if they could break even plus $1000 they are better off than coming to Boone. It could be done in a manner than both schools benefit financially but that would require a certain paid attendance and that is not guaranteed. I would be curious to know what those attendance numbers would need to be.

I would like to think our AD would consider this and have a discussion to see what could be done. If those conversations lasted no more than an minute or two then I would be satisfied that the the AD office was thinking outside the box and looking at alternatives and moving on. And if they developed into something that was a plus for App State then all the better.

I am still not sure I would give up a home game even under positive economic conditions, but I would not be upset if the AD office explored options such as this and other options as well.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:19 am

Completely opposed. Matter of fact, I don't want App to play in Atlanta again until Cobb gets rid of that damn train horn.

Now if they were to 86 the train horn, I'd be much more open to App "hosting" a home game in ATL.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:21 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:39 pm
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:09 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:07 pm
Home field advantage is more than just fans. It's familiarity with routine, the surroundings, 3,333, the weather and the field, itself. Hard pass.
Agreed. Huntington was not a good away destination. Rather not give the team that plays in a former baseball stadium any advantage
Please explain in regards to Huntington?
It was an away game and we lost..
Maybe it would or maybe it would not, it just seems like teams find a way at home...more comfortable, intangibles, etc. Marshall game was not a blowout even with how terrible we played. Maybe being at home would have made a little bit of difference. I realize different sports and different level, playing high school basketball and baseball, being at home made a difference. High school baseball is not a high fan supported event, however, night and day compared to road games. Maybe it is just familiarity with surroundings.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:07 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:21 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Home field advantage is more than just fans. It's familiarity with routine, the surroundings, 3,333, the weather and the field, itself. Hard pass.
Agreed. Huntington was not a good away destination. Rather not give the team that plays in a former baseball stadium any advantage
Maybe it would or maybe it would not, it just seems like teams find a way at home...more comfortable, intangibles, etc. Marshall game was not a blowout even with how terrible we played. Maybe being at home would have made a little bit of difference. I realize different sports and different level, playing high school basketball and baseball, being at home made a difference. High school baseball is not a high fan supported event, however, night and day compared to road games. Maybe it is just familiarity with surroundings.
Plus our athletes get to play in only 24 regular season home games over a four year career. They’re precious for more reasons than our enjoyment as fans — though fan involvement does play a big role.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:35 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:21 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Never underestimate a good night's sleep in one's own bed

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:47 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:59 am
I would not be opposed IF, and this would not happen, but if the gate was considered our money and we could be guaranteed enough gate to offset the cost of the game and that could help our athletic budget. GaSt would not agree to that and I am not even sure if there would be enough fans to offset the expense after paying for the basic expenses so GaSt would at least break even themselves plus our travel expenses. If the crowd was that big then GaSt is going to want to keep that gate though if they could break even plus $1000 they are better off than coming to Boone. It could be done in a manner than both schools benefit financially but that would require a certain paid attendance and that is not guaranteed. I would be curious to know what those attendance numbers would need to be.

I would like to think our AD would consider this and have a discussion to see what could be done. If those conversations lasted no more than an minute or two then I would be satisfied that the the AD office was thinking outside the box and looking at alternatives and moving on. And if they developed into something that was a plus for App State then all the better.

I am still not sure I would give up a home game even under positive economic conditions, but I would not be upset if the AD office explored options such as this and other options as well.
In my hypothetical...I should have stated "And WE KEEP ALL GATE MONEY" after we pay for the cost of running the stadium. I think it would be one of our largest crowds. ALSO, We get to sell all tickets first to App Fans.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:58 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:47 pm

In my hypothetical...I should have stated "And WE KEEP ALL GATE MONEY" after we pay for the cost of running the stadium. I think it would be one of our largest crowds. ALSO, We get to sell all tickets first to App Fans.
What is the capacity of the stadium with restrictions? What could that bring in for the gate?

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:00 pm

Nope

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:21 pm

Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:58 pm
spacemonkey wrote:

What is the capacity of the stadium with restrictions? What could that bring in for the gate?
It's listed at 22,000. It appears that the State of Georgia is allowing 20-25% capacity. However, it the banners were removable from the upper deck, I am sure that the capacity would be 50K (assuming the stadium seats are still bolted down)

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:40 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:21 pm
spacemonkey wrote:

It's listed at 22,000. It appears that the State of Georgia is allowing 20-25% capacity. However, it the banners were removable from the upper deck, I am sure that the capacity would be 50K (assuming the stadium seats are still bolted down)
I think I read that they are redoing the stadium a little at a time. I guess it was three years ago I went to the game there and got some special deal and had GaSt tickets in the middle section. My daughter and I moved to the App Side after the 1st quarter. So we walked around a bit of the stadium and maybe was in an area for the VIPs Maybe not the real VIPs but more VIP than I usually get. It was nice generally, but not cleaned everywhere from the previous owner. Nothing a new coat of paint and new carpet could not take care of and a mop or two. Some of that could be done over a weekend even. I am not sure how much cleaning was done in the upper sections. Seats may be there but functional restrooms and concessions may not be in play there yet. After three years they would have had time do more of this work but they also realize that is not needed and would be wasted effort that could be used in other areas of the stadium.

I parked out near the old baseball field and did a lap around the bases. I am one out of shape mofo.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:56 pm

Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:40 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

I think I read that they are redoing the stadium a little at a time. I guess it was three years ago I went to the game there and got some special deal and had GaSt tickets in the middle section. My daughter and I moved to the App Side after the 1st quarter. So we walked around a bit of the stadium and maybe was in an area for the VIPs Maybe not the real VIPs but more VIP than I usually get. It was nice generally, but not cleaned everywhere from the previous owner. Nothing a new coat of paint and new carpet could not take care of and a mop or two. Some of that could be done over a weekend even. I am not sure how much cleaning was done in the upper sections. Seats may be there but functional restrooms and concessions may not be in play there yet. After three years they would have had time do more of this work but they also realize that is not needed and would be wasted effort that could be used in other areas of the stadium.

I parked out near the old baseball field and did a lap around the bases. I am one out of shape mofo.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=thJ3a0T_Rug
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:08 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:56 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

If only I was as healthy as Homer. This cheered me up. I have had a crappy day.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:35 pm

Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:08 pm
AppinVA wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:

I just got out of a colonoscopy so the prep for that was what made yesterday a crappy day by the way.😊

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:00 pm

Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:35 pm
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:08 pm
AppinVA wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:

I just got out of a colonoscopy so the prep for that was what made yesterday a crappy day by the way.😊
One day crappy, the next a pain in the ass.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:42 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

Assuming 50,000 seats. 15,000 at 25%, 18000 at 30%. $50 ticket = $900,000. I would pay $50 to see App this year. I am not sure how many others would. I am sure we could use the money.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:12 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:42 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

Assuming 50,000 seats. 15,000 at 25%, 18000 at 30%. $50 ticket = $900,000. I would pay $50 to see App this year. I am not sure how many others would. I am sure we could use the money.
If it is listed for 22,000 tben assume 22,000. That puts the gate at $275,000 if a sellout at 25%. After expenses I doubt App could make much and if could come in at a lose if we don't sell enough tickets. This is all hypothetical just playing with numbers but it might not be worth the risk to lose money with not much to gain on the financial side.

What would it cost to bus and spend the night for the team in Atlanta pr dp they need two nights? There could be some money to make depending on the cost to operate the stadium.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:18 am

spacemonkey wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

Okay, I’ve got to ask. Have you been out in the sun too long? Your last two threads are advocating us to give a suddenly competitive opponent home field advantage, and on another you’re seemingly happy Marshall, MARSHALL!!!, is winning and may get a shot at the NY6.

Either you’ve been hacked, or you didn’t see a sign that said hard hats must be worn at the NEZ site.

I mean...I ask because I care.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:58 am

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:18 am
spacemonkey wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

Okay, I’ve got to ask. Have you been out in the sun too long? Your last two threads are advocating us to give a suddenly competitive opponent home field advantage, and on another you’re seemingly happy Marshall, MARSHALL!!!, is winning and may get a shot at the NY6.

Either you’ve been hacked, or you didn’t see a sign that said hard hats must be worn at the NEZ site.

LOL....I was surprised people were reading the other thread as me happy for Marshall. I am an App guy all the way. Just thinking through the NY6 it looks like it is Marshall’s to lose right now. My mind was wondering if Marshall will get the credit they deserve for beating a really good App State team. It is probably still the AAC”s to lose but, IF Marshall runs the table and we run the table and Marshall doesn’t get the NY6....it is a knock on quality of the win over App and the Sunbelt champion.
P.S. definitely not happy that Marshall is in the driver”s seat instead of App.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:05 am

For an example of what happens when a team gives up the home field advantage, even in these oddball times, just see the results of the LSU/Missouri game yesterday. Yeah, LSU is down this year and has been overrated, but they should have beaten Missouri pretty easily. I completely get the financial side of the equation, but the financial benefit is still small given limited attendance. No way you give up home field.

For the record, LSU probably did what they had to do, but they weren't making a financial decision. They were dealing with a natural disaster scenario. To my point, I still don't think they would have played at Missouri if they thought it would have cost them the game. They would have looked for rescheduling options.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:19 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:58 am
AppinVA wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:18 am
spacemonkey wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:

LOL....I was surprised people were reading the other thread as me happy for Marshall. I am an App guy all the way. Just thinking through the NY6 it looks like it is Marshall’s to lose right now. My mind was wondering if Marshall will get the credit they deserve for beating a really good App State team. It is probably still the AAC”s to lose but, IF Marshall runs the table and we run the table and Marshall doesn’t get the NY6....it is a knock on quality of the win over App and the Sunbelt champion.
P.S. definitely not happy that Marshall is in the driver”s seat instead of App.
Hahaha. I’m glad you took this in the humor in which it was intended.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”