Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

What happened to the former athlete bricks in Walkway?

ASUfan6971

What happened to the former athlete bricks in Walkway?

Unread post by ASUfan6971 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:15 am

Does anyone know if these are going to be put back down on the walkway to the stadium or somewhere else? These were purchased a few years ago at $100 per brick. Construction has removed them.

huskie3
School: Appalachian State

Re: What happened to the former athlete bricks in Walkway?

Unread post by huskie3 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:34 pm

We were told they are in storage and will be put back, not exactly sure where.
Bring Your A Game!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:18 am

huskie3 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:34 pm
We also had a wall of bricks outside the main entrance to Owens FH, constructed between 1975 and 2005. It was one of Gerald Adams' many proud projects (he dubbed it the "Wall of Fame"). It was a free-standing wall; not a load-bearing wall. It could have very easily been moved to storage and incorported into the NEZ/Yosef Club complex as part of either an interior or an external wall. My inquiries about it's fate have all gone unanswered. I think I know why *no answer* telegraphs *the actual answer*! Some of the men and women whose names appeared there are now deceased and some of their children and grandchildren are hot about it. I don't like it that no one has either the time or the courage to give a me straight-forward reply.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:08 am

asu66 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:18 am
huskie3 wrote:
We also had a wall of bricks outside the main entrance to Owens FH, constructed between 1975 and 2005. It was one of Gerald Adams' many proud projects (he dubbed it the "Wall of Fame"). It was a free-standing wall; not a load-bearing wall. It could have very easily been moved to storage and incorported into the NEZ/Yosef Club complex as part of either an interior or an external wall. My inquiries about it's fate have all gone unanswered. I think I know why *no answer* telegraphs *the actual answer*! Some of the men and women whose names appeared there are now deceased and some of their children and grandchildren are hot about it. I don't like it that no one has either the time or the courage to give a me straight-forward reply.
On a similar note: in 1978 we were asked to “buy” seats to aid in the “home” side expansion. As I recall $100 per seat. I committed to buy 4 seats. I had a young family of 4 and $400 might as well have been $400,000, at the time. We didn’t have two nickels to rub together but somehow we got it done! In return for our donation we got a name plate on our seats. Those name plates remained for about 30-35 years (some still remain) however mine have disappeared. Looks like the south end of the “home” side plates are gone while the north ends’ remain. Wonder where they went?

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:06 am

asu66 wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
Were not all of the bricks on the wall at Owens not placed in the West side walkway? Mine was, but can’t speak to the entire wall.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:35 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:06 am
asu66 wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
Were not all of the bricks on the wall at Owens not placed in the West side walkway? Mine was, but can’t speak to the entire wall.
Gerald's "Wall of Fame" was still completely intact up until the day the razing of Owens began. Four possibilities that my old, weak mind can come up with ;) --(1) The $$$ you sent in for your brick got there after the cut-off date for the Wall and it was applied to the "Walkway Project" instead. (2) You had a Wall brick and someone among your family or friends sent in $$$ for your Walkway brick w/o telling you. (3) You had a Wall brick and you sent $$$ in for the Walkway and it's just escaping your memory. (4) Or something else... :D jk
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 am

I'm not sure about the fate of each individual groups of bricks (Wall of Fame, Walkway, Rock Plaza), but the concrete in front of the NEZ was poured to allow for a large number of bricks. Hopefully that has been setup for all of these except maybe the Rock Plaza which may go back by the Rock.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

appstfan

Unread post by appstfan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:46 am

In 1978 I purchased 2 gold seats as part of the expansion. Name was on 2 seats. Was told those seats were mine at normal ticket price for life. Charlie Corn Cobb could care less!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:14 am

Rule #1, Nothing is permanent.
Rule #2, Don't believe people who just want your money.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 am

appstfan wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:46 am
In 1978 I purchased 2 gold seats as part of the expansion. Name was on 2 seats. Was told those seats were mine at normal ticket price for life. Charlie Corn Cobb could care less!
I say this in utmost respect and appreciation for your long time support of our program, we do have to consider that "normal ticket prices" will change over time. That may even include the "right to purchase such tickets, including some amount of Yosef Club contributuion". If that annual amount is not continued the right to continue to purchase that same seat may go away. Again, this is not being said in jest but just acknowledging the realities of maintaining a facility over the lifetime of the structure.

Thank you for your part in making App State Football one of the best in the country.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:19 am

asu66 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:35 pm
proasu89 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:06 am
asu66 wrote:
huskie3 wrote:
Gerald's "Wall of Fame" was still completely intact up until the day the razing of Owens began. Four possibilities that my old, weak mind can come up with ;) --(1) The $$$ you sent in for your brick got there after the cut-off date for the Wall and it was applied to the "Walkway Project" instead. (2) You had a Wall brick and someone among your family or friends sent in $$$ for your Walkway brick w/o telling you. (3) You had a Wall brick and you sent $$$ in for the Walkway and it's just escaping your memory. (4) Or something else... :D jk
Thanks for the info, most likely it was #2 or 3, and with every passing day there’s a lot escaping my memory😂. I mistakenly assumed all the wall bricks were moved to the walkway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”