Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Top 25 Poll

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Top 25 Poll

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:56 pm

https://kslsports.com/445751/byu-footba ... -schedule/

I know this is App thread but this question posed about BYU is interesting because if we were to lose a game I wonder if we would even want to do something like this? If I'm BYU I add Marshall or Army, if possible. That would be a huge boost to their SOS.

I wonder if any team who could add a game late will actually choose to do so.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:25 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:56 pm

I know this is App thread but this question posed about BYU is interesting because if we were to lose a game I wonder if we would even want to do something like this? If I'm BYU I add Marshall or Army, if possible. That would be a huge boost to their SOS.

If I’m BYU i schedule beatable opponents. There’s no one listed there that would be enough for them to move the needle into the CFP, nor leap Cincinnati unless the Bearcats lose, in my opinion.

BYU at best could schedule Marshall, SMU and Liberty. None of those to me are signature wins that would suggest they jump anyone, including Cincinnati. And, much like a G5 team, a loss will send them into the high teens and some rando bowl.

So if I’m BYU, I schedule a bunch of garbage teams and hope Cincinnati stumbles. End up ranked 6-Ish and get an at-large NY6 bid.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:15 am

ah59396 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:25 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:56 pm

If I’m BYU i schedule beatable opponents. There’s no one listed there that would be enough for them to move the needle into the CFP, nor leap Cincinnati unless the Bearcats lose, in my opinion.

BYU at best could schedule Marshall, SMU and Liberty. None of those to me are signature wins that would suggest they jump anyone, including Cincinnati. And, much like a G5 team, a loss will send them into the high teens and some rando bowl.

So if I’m BYU, I schedule a bunch of garbage teams and hope Cincinnati stumbles. End up ranked 6-Ish and get an at-large NY6 bid.
That is why I brought up the question because I could see the debate. It would help strength of schedule but it still does no more than beating a P5. That is why I say a G5 has no shot. If people don't think that adding 2-3 ranked G5 teams to your schedule late in year when we know those G5 teams are good will vault a team 2-3 spots to surpass another G5 then how would a G5 vault from say 8/9 to 3/4 to get in CFP without a top 15 P5 win?

I would love to see BYU add them because it would strengthen schedule and provide great games. The issue is that where BYU and Cincy are ranked they would still need teams ahead of them to lose to major underdogs to actually move up higher.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:25 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:33 pm
I am not really a big bowl guy ( other than APP ) so I have not followed it for a while. I just remember that a few years back VT lost something like 700K by going to a bowl. What I meant by the money to get to a NC game is that our program just can't compete with the big boys at this point. Clemson Bama, LSU etc didn't get where they are on our budget. There is just a world of difference between Knocking off a UNC or going to overtime at a Penn State early in the season and playing a Bama at the end. We Have come a long way and have done a great job on our budget but we are an equally long way from playing in a NC in my opinion. We really need more fans stepping up with their wallets to get there.
Not to go off the rails here but I believe you're referring to the 2011 Orange Bowl where it was reported that VaTech lost in the neighborhood of $420k. However, according to this article, VaTech did not lose money and actually made over 2 million when bowl season was over.

https://deadspin.com/teams-in-the-orang ... 1494130032
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:38 pm

moonshine wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:25 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:33 pm
I am not really a big bowl guy ( other than APP ) so I have not followed it for a while. I just remember that a few years back VT lost something like 700K by going to a bowl. What I meant by the money to get to a NC game is that our program just can't compete with the big boys at this point. Clemson Bama, LSU etc didn't get where they are on our budget. There is just a world of difference between Knocking off a UNC or going to overtime at a Penn State early in the season and playing a Bama at the end. We Have come a long way and have done a great job on our budget but we are an equally long way from playing in a NC in my opinion. We really need more fans stepping up with their wallets to get there.
Not to go off the rails here but I believe you're referring to the 2011 Orange Bowl where it was reported that VaTech lost in the neighborhood of $420k. However, according to this article, VaTech did not lose money and actually made over 2 million when bowl season was over.

https://deadspin.com/teams-in-the-orang ... 1494130032
Thanks. That is good news.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”